Problem; misplaced passport!

gebo

Can I still go? I have a color copy of my passport page and an official copy of my birth certificate. Leaving Tuesdayfor a 10 day caribbean. Ready to pack and can't find my passport. House is either really getting cleaned up or torn up in the search. I've yet to check the car. Last saw passport at Thanksgiving when I cruised with mom. Trying not to panic. Please send help. :eek:

Can I still go? I have a color copy of my passport page and an official copy of my birth certificate. Leaving Tuesdayfor a 10 day caribbean. Ready to pack and can't find my passport. House is either really getting cleaned up or torn up in the search. I've yet to check the car. Last saw passport at Thanksgiving when I cruised with mom. Trying not to panic. Please send help. :eek:

Oh Dear that's not very good..:eek:

The State Dept will not accept your Birth Certificates & a color copy of your passport will not be accepted either...

Suggest you contact the passport office on Monday & find out how you can apply for an new emergency passport..It will probably cost a good deal of money..In addition to the regular application fees, there is $60 per application charge plus overnight delivery costs.

See: http://travel.state.gov/passport/lost/us/us_848.html

Also see: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_831.html

There is a service which can help you obtain a new passport in a few days but that cost is $245.00..It.s called A. Briggs, but don't know anything about it..Also RushmyPassport.com is another site..

Sorry could not offer any more assistance..When you get your new one, suggest you put it in either a safe or a lock box..

Good Luck & please let us know how you did....Betty

I thought you could sail in the Caribbean without a passport.

From HAL site:

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises: U.S. citizens on cruises in the Western Hemisphere that originate and terminate in the same U.S. port are not required to have a passport to sail, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL), along with a government-issued photo ID. A passport is still the preferred document. PLEASE NOTE that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise is visiting.

Spoke with HAL Rep. He said I can go with a birth certificate and a picture ID (govt issue). Still doesn't help with feeling stupid. I've kept a passport for over 30 years...this is a first.

I did go out in the pouring rain hoping I would find it in the trunk of the car; no luck. I also called my mom to see if it was with hers; she's looking, I'll call her back in a while. This last trip we drove from Lauderdale to the FL Panhandle and then I drove on to AL; needless to say I was gorked by the time I got home @ 3:30 am. Then I got up the next morning and went to work. I'm not surprized I got disorganized, but still disapponted.

I want to think my dog saw the suitcase out and hid it to keep me from leaving...or was it the cat?

I thought you could sail in the Caribbean without a passport.

From HAL site:

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises: U.S. citizens on cruises in the Western Hemisphere that originate and terminate in the same U.S. port are not required to have a passport to sail, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL), along with a government-issued photo ID. A passport is still the preferred document. PLEASE NOTE that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise is visiting.

Hi Sy...I stand corrected..Glad you pointed that out..

I never travel without my passport, & had no idea that the closed loop rule was in effect..

Glad the OP can still go on her cruise..

Cheers...Betty

Spoke with HAL Rep. He said I can go with a birth certificate and a picture ID (govt issue). Still doesn't help with feeling stupid. I've kept a passport for over 30 years...this is a first.

I did go out in the pouring rain hoping I would find it in the trunk of the car; no luck. I also called my mom to see if it was with hers; she's looking, I'll call her back in a while. This last trip we drove from Lauderdale to the FL Panhandle and then I drove on to AL; needless to say I was gorked by the time I got home @ 3:30 am. Then I got up the next morning and went to work. I'm not surprized I got disorganized, but still disapponted.

I want to think my dog saw the suitcase out and hid it to keep me from leaving...or was it the cat?

Even though you can still go on the cruise, make sure you report the loss of your passport immediately. In these times, its important for the authorities to know that your passport is missing.

You can go to a walk-in agency and get one in a few hours. There is a $60.00 additional expedite fee.

There are regional passport offices in the U.S. where if you need a passport and are traveling within 2 weeks you can go in person (with an appointment) and receive a passport, either in the mail, pick up the following day and in some cases the next day.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/about/agencies/agencies_913.html

Laura

OK, my blood pressures' down though I have to admit I am fatigued. My passport is in Florida with my mom. She will attempt to overnight it tomorrow. Thanks for helping me through my rant.Funny I called you guys before I called HAL, hmmm.

This, and another thread, made me do "eyes on" for our passports. They're right where I thought they were. :) Had to get them out anyhow as wife and I are both using temporary driver's licenses for the next month as we just got ours renewed. Wife will be traveling on business next week and will be carrying her passport.

OK, my blood pressures' down though I have to admit I am fatigued. My passport is in Florida with my mom. She will attempt to overnight it tomorrow. Thanks for helping me through my rant.Funny I called you guys before I called HAL, hmmm.

I'm SO glad that's resolved, Gayle. I just can't imagine the panic. Like Randyk47, I ran and got ours in my hot little hands just to be sure. Even though "Passport" is the first thing on my packing list, I don't normally touch it till the last day when I'm packing my purse. Your thread here is a good reminder to check on it earlier.

No! Why would you not keep your passport in a secure location such as a safety deposit box at the bank?;)

Just got back from a cruise where the couple we were traveling with lost their passports on the plane down to Florida. They were allowed to go with a fax copy of their birth certificates. I guess it just depends on the cruise line.
When checking in for a HAL cruise at Ft Laud a couple ahead of us had neither a passport nor a birth certificate for either of them! :eek: They were taken aside while HAL had something faxed down. They did get on the ship, as we saw them later on.

When checking in for a HAL cruise at Ft Laud a couple ahead of us had neither a passport nor a birth certificate for either of them! :eek: They were taken aside while HAL had something faxed down. They did get on the ship, as we saw them later on.

Certainly that is more than HAL needed to do on their behalf. Kudos to HAL.. Nice to know, I suppose, that they did board ... but I'm wondering if this couple in the future simply will depend on someone else to do for them what they should have done for themselves. I think the official term is "learned helplessness".

My DW and I took a round trip Celebrity cruise to Hawaii from San Diego a couple of years ago. One of the couples at our table had packed their passports in their luggage that was put on the ship. When they went to check in, Celebrity wouldn't let them on. They begged and begged and told the officials they the passports were in their luggage. Finally, they were allowed on about an hour before sailing.

No! Why would you not keep your passport in a secure location such as a safety deposit box at the bank?;)

It's too late to chastise the OP now, about where she keeps her passport...However you are Wrong, she can travel

As OceanWench pointed out U.S. Citizens can travel without a passport if they are on a closed loop cruise to the Caribbean..

It's not necessary to keep passports in a safe deposit at the bank...It's fine to keep them in either a safe or fireproof locked box at home...

Cheers..:)Betty

On our last outing, we visited friends north of Sydney before getting on the Cruise ship.

During our stay DH realized he had misplaced his Passport.

I did not sleep that night, he slept like a baby, figuring of course they would let him on the ship with out it. The next day he looked threw all his stuff and still did not find it. I was getting that sinking feeling and making alternate plans in my mind as what needed to be done to get it replaced ASAP before boarding the next afternoon. When I picked up his jacket and found it in his pocket.

OMG, after that he was not allowed to keep it with him for the rest of the trip.

And if our dog could have hidden it, he would have.

Archived