Baseball Caps in Dining Room

Hal&Rob

What's with men wearing baseball caps indoors and in the dining rooms?

They don't know any better:(

How 'bout not taking your BB hat off during the playing of your National Anthem?

How 'bout not taking them off upon entering a church?

I've seen guys in baseball caps in the MDR at breakfast and lunch. One day I was sitting with a party of 3 from England who had i met previously at the hotel in Vancouver. The gentleman in the groups said "where I come from, that's not done". I assured him that the etiquette rules in The States are the same, but some choose to ignore. Good grief, parents don't say anything when their boys' underwear is showing :D, so I doubt the same parents taught them to take off a cap indoors.

Roz

My son-in-law only ONCE wore a cap inside my house. I made it perfectly clear how I felt about it and have never seen one since, even in his house. It's the parents -- we all taught our sons it was bad manners, but today I guess anything goes. What gets me are the old men who wear them inside. I guess they feel they've earned their stripes and can do what they want.

It's not a joke!!

I have seen men and women wearing baseball caps in the main dining room for dinner.

And I even reported here on one of my cruise reports about a Deluxe Suite couple who both wore dirty jeans and baseball caps to the Pinnacle Grill on the first night of the cruise. And that this couple wore the same clothes the next to the Pinnacle for the Suite Lunch.

I totally agree that the dining room is not a proper place to wear a baseball cap, but wearing one indoors, as long as it is not in church, should be that persons decision. If I pay the same price that you pay for a cruise, I should be able to wear my cap. And yes, I grew up in a nice home with parents that taught me manners. I believe that sometimes it is the part of the country you are from that allows you to be an individual.

On our last morning on our recent cruise on the Zuiderdam we had breakfast in the main dining room. Our regular table was not available so they tried to seat us in a different section. There were two people with their baseball caps - both men, one much more grizzled and codgered than I so I would think he had been taught better! I probably should have taken a picture. We asked for a different table and got it. When I explained later to a dining room supervisor - a nice your chap from Holland (the country, not the line) - he said he understood completely! Many times I have been tempted to ask such a wearer if indeed his mother hadn't taught him not to wear his cap inside.

You're scaring me, people.

I'm going on my first cruise next week, and after reading the posts here for the past couple of weeks I'm convinced I'm going to find a ship full of people wearing bathrobes over their muumuus, with their baseball caps on - cigarettes in one hand, weng weng in the other. And they've spent so much effort giving extra tips to everybody all day, and fretting about open seating, that they're all in bed by 10pm.

I sure hope it's not really like that. . .

Formal wear, bath robes and now baseball caps !!!!

I guess I am one of those people who like to wear baseball caps outside and indoors on a cruise or in fact anywhere. I have lived in the sunny southern part of the US all my life and over the past 30 years do whatever I can to protect my bald head and other parts of my body from the sun. I even snorkel with a hat on my head.

Though the sun does not shine inside a ship I try to spend as much time on the outside decks and it would be inconvenient for me to take it on/off everytime I went in/out.

Though I do not wear my baseball caps in the MDR, on one cruise I did wear the cap for breakfast, lunch & dinner due to recent surgery on my head in lieu of showing off a very large bandage on my head.

I'm sure some people in the MDR were critical without knowing my situation. I checked with the maitre'd in the MDR concerning my situation and he said it was ok to wear the cap

You're scaring me, people.

I'm going on my first cruise next week, and after reading the posts here for the past couple of weeks I'm convinced I'm going to find a ship full of people wearing bathrobes over their muumuus, with their baseball caps on - cigarettes in one hand, weng weng in the other. And they've spent so much effort giving extra tips to everybody all day, and fretting about open seating, that they're all in bed by 10pm.

I sure hope it's not really like that. . .

"what you see is what you get!" :p:D

I thought the same only worse about HAL after reading about 100 threads, but the cruise was infinetly better. No Baseball caps in MDR, snobs evidently had their own suites and restaurants, only a couple of unusual (not outstanding) people around the pool, and we met several very nice folks to spend time with (important on a TA).:)

I have tried to raise our children to be polite and have good manners. However, my younger son (17) is plagued with migraines to the extent that he wears a baseball cap 24/7. He doesn't wear the baseball cap at our Bible meetings out of respect, however, he does suffer on those occassions (twice per week). He is on medication that he takes daily but has not been able to get the migraines under control. He has headaches every day and the slight bit of light, even the light on the "on" button of a computer moniter, the little tiny green light, causes a headache. There are days he gets up and goes back to bed because of the extent of his migraines. We are going to be on the Mediterranean cruise May 19 on the Eurodam and I am sure he will have that cap on his head because otherwise he would be miserable. Actually miserable isn't the word, he would be physically ill. However, he won't be wearing a cap in the dining room if he does decide not to eat in the Lido. He will have dark sunglasses on instead.

diane

Archived