Baseball Caps in Dining Room

Hal&Rob

Formal wear, bath robes and now baseball caps !!!!

I guess I am one of those people who like to wear baseball caps outside and indoors on a cruise or in fact anywhere. I have lived in the sunny southern part of the US all my life and over the past 30 years do whatever I can to protect my bald head and other parts of my body from the sun. I even snorkel with a hat on my head.

Though the sun does not shine inside a ship I try to spend as much time on the outside decks and it would be inconvenient for me to take it on/off everytime I went in/out.

Though I do not wear my baseball caps in the MDR, on one cruise I did wear the cap for breakfast, lunch & dinner due to recent surgery on my head in lieu of showing off a very large bandage on my head.

I'm sure some people in the MDR were critical without knowing my situation. I checked with the maitre'd in the MDR concerning my situation and he said it was ok to wear the cap

We get a LOT of sunshine here too, and I'm pretty bald and have pre-cancers burned off every year, even with sunscreen and a cap.:eek: It's not fun!::( I don't even like wearing a cap or hat, and wish I didn't have to.

I don't wear a cap in the MDR, but wear it most of the time until dark. In this area (and ALL others I've been to in the past 15 years, a large number of countries) they no longer have a hat rack upon which to place your hat when entering a restaurant. Cruise ships I have been on don't, either!:cool:

What do the "It's my vacation I paid for it and can wear whatever I want/why in the world would anyone be bothered by what others wear" folks say on this one?

I need to take that statement apart, so that it is clear what I am responding to:

"It's my vacation I paid for it and can wear whatever I want" : that is not my perspective. It has nothing to do with "I paid for it".

"Why in the world would anyone be bothered by what others wear?" : this would be me, and my perspective is the same..... I wouldn't notice, or care, and while I know people can't help what they *observe*, I do not understand why it lets them bother them.

I need to take that statement apart, so that it is clear what I am responding to:

"It's my vacation I paid for it and can wear whatever I want" : that is not my perspective. It has nothing to do with "I paid for it".

"Why in the world would anyone be bothered by what others wear?" : this would be me, and my perspective is the same..... I wouldn't notice, or care, and while I know people can't help what they *observe*, I do not understand why it lets them bother them.

It's about respect so I don't know why you wouldn't get that. Seems like you just like to try and push buttons. On the Sapphire Princess cruise I was just on they have a sign at the door of the MDR that says no tanks or caps.

I have to disagree with the former post. This has nothing to do with respect. I'm a courteous, respectful person who wears a baseball cap. I have good manners and I'm a good person. Many people would enjoy their vacations more if they didn't let things like this bother them.

Many people would enjoy their vacations more if they didn't let things like this bother them.

Gee...I don't recall saying I don't enjoy my vacations:confused:. I guess I have respect for myself....and that branches out to respect for others. Sorry you don't understand that.

Like G&G, I wear a baseball cap all the time outdoors, and generally on the ship, I put it on as I leave my cabin, and frequently walk down the passageway wearing one as I head outdoors. Like many, I take off my hat inside most places though not in every shop I walk into when trailing DW on the inevitable shopping tour of some exotic city. Wearing it in the passageways tends to be a convenience, and I suppose it relates to my leaving "my house." I do see lots of men wearing all sorts of hats in passageways.

Does it "bother me" when some idiot wears one in, say, the MDR of some nice restaurant. Not really. I think you can see what I think of the person, but I don't ruin my day over it. Unfortunately, the cruise line has to try not to irritate paying customers, so often a pair of jeans or, unfortunately, a hat makes it into someplace like the MDR. It shouldn't be hard for the maitre' D to say a polite "sir, we do ask that you remove your hat in the dining room," or something similar. There are still expensive private clubs that require ties, and will often give a guest one to put on rather that allow him to enter without one.

I wonder though about the "I paid for it, and I will do what I want" attitude. Smoking comes immediately to mind, though second-hand smoke is a real irritant and danger to others. Yet, people think only of themselves in thinking they should be able to smoke in a free country. One's freedoms only extend to the point of not interfering with anyone else's freedoms. Does a hat or jeans really "interfere" is the question. It undoubtedly lessens the elegance (is that a fair statement?). To that degree, it reduces the experience of others, and in that regard they should not do it.

Just like the discussion between the potential trick and prostitute when the prostitute asks what kind of person the customer thinks she is, and he replies that he knows that answer, but is trying to establish the price; here we know the person is not a gentleman.

Perhaps a sadly required note in the day's calendar that gentlemen (and we use that word advisedly) are requested not to wear hats in the MDR. It is sad that such a note would be required. I guess if you market to the masses, you get just that.

It's about respect so I don't know why you wouldn't get that. Seems like you just like to try and push buttons. On the Sapphire Princess cruise I was just on they have a sign at the door of the MDR that says no tanks or caps.

I don't own a baseball cap.

I only wore my robe out of my cabin once -- when there was no water in my shower one morning, so I had to get them to open the gym showers before the gym even opened so I could shower before my excursion.

I wear long, flowy gowns on elegant night, often with silk wraps.

I don't own a muumuu, and my husband wouldn't put on a speedo if you offered him a million dollars.

I do, however, wear my Birkenstocks to pretty much all dinners. :-)

I have no dog in this fight, in so far as my behavior goes. With the exception of not pleasing the footwear fashionistas, I follow the expectations of 98% of the people here.

Someone asked what those of us who HAVE had opinions about the dress code in this way thought about the question. I answered. Does your response mean that I shouldn't answer, because, if I do, I am "trying to push buttons"? Am I not allowed to offer an opinion?

I'm sorry that you and I don't agree on this issue.

I, too, see it as a matter of respect: respectfulness of each person to be their own person, to dress as *they* see appropriately. I also see it as an issue of judging people on the basis of things beyond the external, of wishing that each of us took the time to know each person as an individual, so that we hear their stories: be it that someone just had surgery, or has migranes, or maybe just waited 40 years for the Cubbies to win the World Series and they are still reliving the moment (hey... I can dream for you guys!).

But, I will continue to post on these issues, because I believe my perspective should be heard, just as I believe others' perspectives should be heard -- those that agree with me, and those that do not.

I have to disagree with the former post. This has nothing to do with respect. I'm a courteous, respectful person who wears a baseball cap. I have good manners and I'm a good person. Many people would enjoy their vacations more if they didn't let things like this bother them.

Well said! My husband is very fair-skinned had had several skin cancers removed from his face, head and neck areas. His oncologist has advised him to wear a hat or cap, in addition to sunscreen, whenever he goes out doors - most especially when he will be out in the sun. He does wear a cap or hat when onboard for those times he chooses to sit out on deck or walk on the promenade. He has never worn his cap in any of the dining room areas, nor has he worn it to the shows or any of the other 'indoor' activites. He carries it with him and dons it when necessary.

We have seen many, many people, including women, wearing hats, caps, sun visors, etc, throughout the ship and have never given it a thought.

Before criticizing so generally, perhaps a bit more thoughtfulness might be given to the fact that some folks have medical reasons for wearing a cap or hat. We cruised with a lovely lady last year who wore her hat everywhere, even into the MDR :eek:!! She was in remission from cancer, and had lost her hair due to her chemotherapy, and it had not yet completely grown back. This was her "Victory Cruise". I met her on the Susan Komen "Walk For The Cure" on HAL and she was one of the lovliest and most courageous people I have ever had the good fortune to encounter. And....all her hats were lovely!

Respect for who? You or themselves?

Everyone is coming to the cruise with many different backgrounds and cultures. Why can't people who disagree with wearing a cap inside respect that this may be the culture of that person.

Aren't we taught to respect other cultures even if they are different than ours?

I would not wear a hat into the MDR nor allow my boys to, but I can tell you we have family that come from a very different culture than us and wearing a hat anywhere is VERY normal to them.

Letting what someone else does bother you or ruin your vacation only is hurting you. I have seem many things that were offensive to me on different cruiselines.

It is my vacation to enjoy and no one but myself can ruin it for me.

I disagree. Treating others with respect and good manners would be understanding their point of view and following conventions. For example: There is nothing inherently wrong with picking up a soup bowl and slurping the contents. In Western cultures though it is considered rude. People at the same table are disturbed by the act. They notice it because it is out of the norm. Many of us may have done exactly this in our own kitchens, but it is NOT considered courteous, respectful or mannerly to do this in a formal dinning room....just saying....

I think that wearing a cap in the dining room bothers many people (myself included) because it's a generational thing. Most older folks were brought up to believe that you take your hat/cap off when you enter a building which would include a dining room. Perhaps we are showing a frustration with a generation for whom this isn't a custom. We also are sailing on HAL, which traditionally has been a cruise line which attracts older folks, so we expect that others on the cruise would follow our customs.

I think that if I were sailing on Carnival or NCL or RCCL, I wouldn't be the least surprised to see a cap or even a speedo (or how about a bikini??;)) in the dining room. It goes with that territory. But since HAL can't - or chooses not - to legislate a dress code that might suit us older folks, we will continue to see folks of a different generation dressing differently that we might choose. It's not that they weren't taught manners; it's just that the manners they were taught differ from the ones we were taught.

Not to offend, of course, but generally speaking, when I see a gentleman wearing a baseball cap whilst sitting in a restaurant or cafe, or coffee shop, I immediately think of the "differently challenged" young (and older) men that I know, from a group home in our area. They never remove their hats. So, I usually just make the assumption that such gentlemen are part of that demographic, and let it slide.

I do have one friend that never removes his cowboy hat. It's just pure cussedness on his part, however.

You're scaring me, people.

I'm going on my first cruise next week, and after reading the posts here for the past couple of weeks I'm convinced I'm going to find a ship full of people wearing bathrobes over their muumuus, with their baseball caps on - cigarettes in one hand, weng weng in the other. And they've spent so much effort giving extra tips to everybody all day, and fretting about open seating, that they're all in bed by 10pm.

I sure hope it's not really like that. . .

I love it! ROTFLMAO!! I nominate this for post of the year. To whom at CC do I submit the nomination?

You're scaring me, people.

I'm going on my first cruise next week, and after reading the posts here for the past couple of weeks I'm convinced I'm going to find a ship full of people wearing bathrobes over their muumuus, with their baseball caps on - cigarettes in one hand, weng weng in the other. And they've spent so much effort giving extra tips to everybody all day, and fretting about open seating, that they're all in bed by 10pm.

I sure hope it's not really like that. . .

You got a problem with Weng Wengs?

Yeah- I`m talkin to you.:)

Paulie Walnuts

I have tried to raise our children to be polite and have good manners. However, my younger son (17) is plagued with migraines to the extent that he wears a baseball cap 24/7. He doesn't wear the baseball cap at our Bible meetings out of respect, however, he does suffer on those occassions (twice per week). He is on medication that he takes daily but has not been able to get the migraines under control. He has headaches every day and the slight bit of light, even the light on the "on" button of a computer moniter, the little tiny green light, causes a headache. There are days he gets up and goes back to bed because of the extent of his migraines. We are going to be on the Mediterranean cruise May 19 on the Eurodam and I am sure he will have that cap on his head because otherwise he would be miserable. Actually miserable isn't the word, he would be physically ill. However, he won't be wearing a cap in the dining room if he does decide not to eat in the Lido. He will have dark sunglasses on instead.

diane

What a hard ailment to have to live with. Has your son had his eyes tested? Almost 25 years ago I was in the same situation - I suffered from debilitating headaches worse than a migraine all the time. The doctors actually were testing me for brain tumors.

Then one day I was talking to our local eye doctor and mentioned this. He tested my eyes and found out I was allergic to UV rays. Since then I have worn glasses with a 100% UV block and anti-glare and have not had the same problem occur - not one severe headache after having them non stop for years. Although there was no actual visual problem, the glasses protected my eyes and were a god send.

I know how horrible constant headaches can be, and hope that they are able to stop them from being so persistent. We hope you enjoy your cruise - we loved the Mediterranean. It should be a wonderful trip. :)

...I don't doubt that you are a good person......whoops I may have gotten the wrong name there in the heading...but the point is that this a manners issue, and not about the quality of the person

Yeah - I was wondering on what point we disagreed...:confused: I think, perhaps, you did get the name wrong in your heading, as we both seem to agree that this is about manners and understanding, rather than the quality of the individual.

And yes - my dear husband is a good and a wonderful person with great manners and respect for everyone.

Thanks for the correction!! ;):)

We have seen many, many people, including women, wearing hats, caps, sun visors, etc, throughout the ship and have never given it a thought.

We cruised with a lovely lady last year who wore her hat everywhere, even into the MDR :eek:!! She was in remission from cancer, and had lost her hair due to her chemotherapy, and it had not yet completely grown back. This was her "Victory Cruise". I met her on the Susan Komen "Walk For The Cure" on HAL and she was one of the lovliest and most courageous people I have ever had the good fortune to encounter. And....all her hats were lovely!

I thought it was Etiquette 101 that the "No Hats Indoors" rule does not apply to women or to observant Jewish men.

Archived