Baseball Caps in Dining Room

Hal&Rob

Now as I understand this thread I can wear a cap indoors on a cruise ship for either medical reasons, religious beliefs, if I am a law enforcement officer on duty and in the military when "under arms".

I am still a little confused.

Can I wear my cap in my cabin since I am not offending any of the passengers ?

Do I wear my cap at the Lido Pool only when the roof is open and limited to wearing the cap only if I am under the open part of the retractable roof ?

If I am eating lunch at the Lido Pool and under the open part of the retractable roof can I wear my cap ? or not wear the cap while eating if the roof is closed ? or not wear the cap at all while not eating ?

Can I wear by cap on my balcony of my cabin if I am eating breakfast or lunch ?

If I decide to walk around the outside lower Promenade Deck and part of deck is blocked do I have to remove my cap if I go inside for 25 feet to get around the obstacle ?

I just want to make sure I do not offend anyone on my Rotterdam cruise on 03/08/2010

As long as you have your cap on with your robe, and you are going to the spa or the pool, you should be fine. :D

Thanks for the laugh!

I guess I'll "throw my hat" into this ring. Several years ago, when on the Maasdam, I did wear a large straw hat most of the time during the day, wherever we were on the ship. I even wore it at the suite luncheon. I had lost quite a bit of hair from my chemo, and I just didn't feel comfortable without my hat. At night, I would put on my wig sort of thing for the dining room, but it was pretty uncomfortable to wear. I really don't think ball caps are correct in the MDR, but perhaps there are other reasons. Since I'm one of the biggest 'follow the dress code supporters', this might sound odd, but I just remember feeling I needed my hat during the day, wherever we were. Now that I remember the Maasdam, I think I'll try to be somewhat more understanding about the hat issue!

Just my two cents

I sympathize with you and with your nephew. I must, however regretfully and respectfully, differ with you. Baseball caps are not the all-purpose headgear. When I see a baseball cap worn in circumstances where (male) heads are conventionally uncovered, it is not a great leap of logic to infer that the wearer is flouting the convention, because a ballcap is the very antithesis of dressy. I am much more inclined to think there is a medical or religious reason if the man has donned a fedora (or a bowler or a top hat or a fez or a homberg). And there is always the alternative of a hairpiece.

Post-script: As for the U.S. ambassador to Bermuda, his "trademark" baseball cap does not set a new standard of fashion or etiquette. It merely plays to the image of the ugly American.

Absolutely incorrect as my golf hat wearing european friend would tell you. I guess he is just one of the "ugly europeans".;)

Are you saying you actually SAW someone in a baseball cap in the main dining room? I've certainly never seen that, and just can't imagine.
Yep - baseball cap, football jersey, and cargo pants ... on a Formal night. Really.

I think that wearing a cap in the dining room bothers many people (myself included) because it's a generational thing. Most older folks were brought up to believe that you take your hat/cap off when you enter a building which would include a dining room. Perhaps we are showing a frustration with a generation for whom this isn't a custom. We also are sailing on HAL, which traditionally has been a cruise line which attracts older folks, so we expect that others on the cruise would follow our customs.

I think that if I were sailing on Carnival or NCL or RCCL, I wouldn't be the least surprised to see a cap or even a speedo (or how about a bikini??;)) in the dining room. It goes with that territory. But since HAL can't - or chooses not - to legislate a dress code that might suit us older folks, we will continue to see folks of a different generation dressing differently that we might choose. It's not that they weren't taught manners; it's just that the manners they were taught differ from the ones we were taught.

I was just about to post something similar to this but you did it first.:)

I have never sailed HAL but was considering it so I decided to read what posters had to say. It seams to me that some of the older generations have a definition of "Respect" that is not shared with most of the younger generations. It is a one way street in which some want thier beliefs respected without returning the favor.

BTW, speedos and bikinis are highly frowned upon (and NOT allowed) in the MDR even on CCL and RCCL.

Life is too short to be so judgemental of others when it really does not concern you.....Live an let live!

Yep - baseball cap, football jersey, and cargo pants ... on a Formal night. Really.

You have got to be kidding me. Did you just fall over from disgust? Did you become visibly ill? Did you suddenly leave the MDR because that was allowed in? The horror. How could he ruin or evening with that attire. I tell ya the nerve of some people. I may have passed out.:confused:

You have got to be kidding me. Did you just fall over from disgust? Did you become visibly ill? Did you suddenly leave the MDR because that was allowed in? The horror. How could he ruin or evening with that attire. I tell ya the nerve of some people. I may have passed out.:confused:
None of the above. I was just surprised he was allowed in that way. BUT - I just saw him pushing a woman in a wheelchair out of the room, and it MAY be that he just came in to get her, and did not eat there.

. It seams to me that some of the older generations have a definition of "Respect" that is not shared with most of the younger generations. It is a one way street in which some want thier beliefs respected without returning the favor.

It's not just the older generation. I'm 49...but my parents taught me respect and manners.

As long as you have your cap on with your robe, and you are going to the spa or the pool, you should be fine. :D

Thanks for the laugh!

I will leave you with one more laugh as I get ready to fly to the west coast tomorrow AM to meet the Rotterdam in San Diego for a 33 day cruise.

Now that I have read all the posts during the past several months dealing with proper attire to be worn on HAL ships reminds me of a MasterCard commercial.

1. Cost to join the Cruise Critic: $0.00

2. Cost to sail on a cruise of a lifetime; 33 day Hawaii/South Pacific, Rotterdam, departs 03/08/2010: $12,450

3. Seeing a passenger on formal night in the Main Dining Room wearing a baseball cap, wearing a HAL bath robe, wearing dirty jeans with flip flops and no socks: PRICELESS :D

A hairpiece? For a 15 year old boy?

I don't think it would be fair or right to tell a 15 yo boy to wear a combover, a toupee, hair piece, or old person's hat for respectibility and propriety's sake when he's dealing with losing his hair due to an illness.

This was in response to my post #146 in this thread. My point, which perhaps I did not make as artfully as I should, is that a whole range of headgear exists other than a ballcap that a young man dressing up could don. The Glencarry cap, the beret, and the Greek fisherman's cap (my personal favorite) come to mind. And what young man would not look splendid sporting a turban! There are lots of websites giving step-by-step directions on tying a turban, which are readily available through any search engine.

This was in response to my post #146 in this thread. My point, which perhaps I did not make as artfully as I should, is that a whole range of headgear exists other than a ballcap that a young man dressing up could don. The Glencarry cap, the beret, and the Greek fisherman's cap (my personal favorite) come to mind. And what young man would not look splendid sporting a turban! There are lots of websites giving step-by-step directions on tying a turban, which are readily available through any search engine.

Cool idea!

obama-hat3.jpg

Oh, good grief!! Enough, already!!!

You must be kidding.

Our previous American Ambassador to Bermuda - Gregory Slayton was rarely seen without a baseball cap - interviews on TV, out and about at formal presentations - he always wore one. It was his trade mark.

Valentino, a point of clarification if I may... There is no such thing as "American Ambassador to Bermuda." The American Ambassador to the Court of St. James is resident in London and has a somewhat ugly office on Grosvenor Square, LOL, and a nice residence at Wingfield House. Mr. Slayton was indeed the "Consul General " in Hamilton. He was not a member of the career diplomatic service but rather a political appointee of the President. As such, while he did a very credible job of representing Washington's interest, he was woefully inexperienced in matters of protocol, not having had diplomatic training and experience. In my many years, I have never seen an Ambassador in a baseball cap unless he or she was playing baseball or tennis, or at the beach, or on board a U.S. naval vessel wearing the cap of that particular vessel. I certainly have never seen one at a "formal presentation" as you noted, or inside a building, much less in a dining room.

Everyone has their opinion, but I was trained to remove my cover when indoors. There are certain exceptions which have been noted on this post. However, I felt it necessary to chime in in support of my colleagues in the diplomatic corps, lest our readers think that we don't know our manners.

His Excellency Don Carlos :rolleyes:

A number of posters here continue to note that wearing a hat in a dining room violates the dress policy of Holland America.

Funny, I don't recall one post that connected men wearing hats indoors and the HAL dress policy. Would you please note which ones I must have missed?

Thank you.

Archived