Baseball Caps in Dining Room

Hal&Rob

MTE - I'm 34. My husband is 43. He wouldn't even get his food from the Lido while wearing his hat. "It's not appropriate," is what he'd say and he'd either tuck it under his arm or sit down and wait for me to get my food (ladies, first,) so he could leave the hat at the table.

By the way - regarding the pants around the upper thighs. This is an area where DH hopes the trend never changes. He's been a DC cop for 20 years and LOVES this trend because it makes the idiots oh so much easier to catch when they try to run from the police! He's actually told people, "You know, if you had been wearing a belt you could have outrun me!"

*LOL*

From what I hear the whole trend is copying guys who get arrested (and of course when they put you in the cell they take your belt) so your pants naturally hang that way.

You tell your husband to keep up the good work putting those "fashionistas" where they belong. (let a few of them keep the belts to help thin out the herd :))

That's my philosophy too.

However, if a hatted person joins us at our table, my husband will probably ask why they're wearing a hat at the table and is liable to make a comment about it and maybe ask the person to remove it while at table.

However, if we are the ones joining a table he might not say anything since the hatted person was there first.

Well, I hope that doesn't extend to the Lido , because on our cruise last year there were more hats on in there than off.

p.s.- do other people "make comments " about you while dining , cause where I come from , somebody would end up in the brig. I wonder if they serve lobster there ? lol.

Well, I hope that doesn't extend to the Lido , because on our cruise last year there were more hats on in there than off.

p.s.- do other people "make comments " about you while dining , cause where I come from , somebody would end up in the brig. I wonder if they serve lobster there ? lol.

Do you think it's because you are from New Jersey?:)

I would think in the interest of compassion and civility that wearing a hat for medical reasons is obviously an exception to the general custom - such as for those subject to the effects of chemo.

Off topic, and FWIW, I shudder every time I see this picture - I'm a little obsessed about muzzle discipline.:eek:

295379.JPG

You and me both! Goes against anything you've ever been taught about gun safety! The only "good" thing, if there is one, is that the hammer is down

]I have nothing but sympathy for the 15 year old boy! [/b]

OMG...Can't believe that you are really serious! I'm sorry' date=' but you haven't convinced me that you have nothing but sympathy for the 15 year old boy! [/size']

As another poster mentioned it's a "breach of etiquette" to point out anothers "breach of edict"!

I certainly hope that you or a member of your family never has to go through what these kids & their families are going through..:(

Betty

OMG...Can't believe that you are really serious! I'm sorry, but you haven't convinced me that you have nothing but sympathy for the 15 year old boy!

As another poster mentioned it's a "breach of etiquette" to point out anothers "breach of edict"!

I certainly hope that you or a member of your family never has to go through what these kids & their families are going through..:(

Betty

Wow.....this is really out of line. How do you know what the poster was thinking:confused:.

OMG...Can't believe that you are really serious! I'm sorry, but you haven't convinced me that you have nothing but sympathy for the 15 year old boy!

Betty

Betty ... in all things, charity.

Think the best.

I like to look at these threads as examples of people attempting to advise people HERE so-as those people won't be embarrassed aboard ship by their "breaches of etiquette."

Wow.....this is really out of line. How do you know what the poster was thinking:confused:.

Because when you see anyone young or old obviously dealing with the effects of a life threatening illness you say a little prayer for them, you thank God that your own family is healthy,

But you certainly don't criticize their taste in hats :(

I vote we show the poster the same kindness, compassion, and understanding that we're asking him to show others.

I really didn't mean to incite a flame war. I just wanted to present a different view on the issue - one that happens to be very near and dear to my heart. :)

Because when you see anyone young or old obviously dealing with the effects of a life threatening illness you say a little prayer for them, you thank God that your own family is healthy,

But you certainly don't criticize their taste in hats :(

The health issue would apply to MAYBE 1% so it's a red herring. So many people just jump on it like it would be a much larger %. Just because people think someone is rude doesn't give them license to do the same thing.

I like to look at these threads as examples of people attempting to advise people HERE so-as those people won't be embarrassed aboard ship by their "breaches of etiquette."

Just making sure I understand because the elevator, made in Holland, doesn't go the top floor at times:eek:

You're protecting those lost souls from embarrasing themselves with "breaches of etiquette" Now, I get it.............and if all fails, because it's impossible to resist, you'll sick RuthC on them in the show lounge with the infamous "dollar in the waistband" trick! Brilliant!:) Did I get that?

You're protecting those lost souls from embarrasing themselves with "breaches of etiquette" Now, I get it.............and if all fails, because it's impossible to resist, you'll sick RuthC on them in the show lounge with the infamous "dollar in the waistband" trick! Brilliant!:) Did I get that?

Nope. Missed it.

The health issue would apply to MAYBE 1% so it's a red herring. So many people just jump on it like it would be a much larger %. Just because people think someone is rude doesn't give them license to do the same thing.

I wouldn't say that it's a red herring. Just an exception that proves the point of why people should think before siccing a restaurant manager on a person, making rude comments, or even giving a person the side-eye.

You just never know when you're impression of a person being rude or impolite or ignorant of the rules is wrong and the reality is much more complicated.

I wouldn't say that it's a red herring. Just an exception that proves the point of why people should think before siccing a restaurant manager on a person, making rude comments, or even giving a person the side-eye.

You just never know when you're impression of a person being rude or impolite or ignorant of the rules is wrong and the reality is much more complicated.

Very well said

I am blessed to have the same circle of friends for 30 years and almost all the same co workers for 26. we all know eachother better than we know ourselves. We take all our individual stereotypes and life's baggage , throw them in the air and have a good laugh at them . Reverence and political correctness be damned .

However when I don't know a single soul in the room. I keep my mouth shut. I tell my story, I try and learn theirs. Most times it leads to great conversation.

A very wise man who became a second father to me , and who I know is up there with my real dad having one hell of a time once said it best.

"God gave us two eyes and two ears and only one mouth because he wants us to look and listen way more than we are supposed to speak."

I once sat in the Sports Bar on the Eurodam wearing a ball cap and shorts well into the first seating dinner hour...on formal night. :eek::eek::eek:

Dear God and you freely admit it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You must have a Scarlet A on your chest and 666 tattooed on your head *LOL*

True...but I bet those situations are very isolated. What distresses me is that so many jump on that bandwagon as an excuse to do whatever they want. I wouldn't say anything to anyone about what they are wearing. People just need to be truthful......

Dear God and you freely admit it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You must have a Scarlet A on your chest and 666 tattooed on your head *LOL*

:D The only tattoo is a Cowboys star on my...uh...sitting spot. Can you guess what my ball cap looked like and why I was still sitting in the Sports Bar dressed in such gaudy attire? :D

I never said I knew what the Poster was thinking..

I said he hasn't convinced me that he has nothing but sympathy for the 15 year old boy..Therefore, I stand by what I've said & in my opinion it is not out of line!

I gave him the benefit of the doubt in my previous post, but he continues on by saying he would assume the boy is being rebellious..If my Son had been through what this young man is still going through, I would never say a word if he wore a ball cap..I would just be thankful that he is still alive! Can you imagine a 15 year old in a fedora or a turban?

Betty ... in all things, charity.

Think the best.

You are right Rev. but this last post absolutely floored me & as you can see I'm angry:(..

I find it very difficult to be charitable to one who would make statements such as he did in the last post....

Quote I have nothing but sympathy for the 15 year old boy! Nowhere am I talking about publicly upbraiding him for wearing a ballcap where it doesn't fit in. My point is precisely that with some adult coaching he can be spared unnecessary embarrassment. And If I saw the 15 year old boy wearing a dress suit with a ballcap, I would not be ungracious toward him but I would indulgently chalk his cap up to teenage rebellion. Unquote..

How in the world would a 15 year old boy be embarrassed unless someone criticized him for wearing a ball cap..And don't you think, those who would be so judgmental & criticize him for wearing a ball cap would also criticize him for wearing a turban or fedora?:confused: What in the world is the difference, except those hats/turbans would call more attention to him & look ridiculous on a 15 year old.....This boy does not want people to feel sorry for him, he just wants to fit in & be part of the crowd..

Today was my day to work with "Brandy" in the Hospital.. Every week, I see Adult & sometimes young Chemo patients who are going through hell, but they still smile when they see "Brandy" & the other dogs...Sometimes I just feel like crying & it takes me a long time to get over it....Realize it's just as hard on the Dr's & Nurse's though..

Maybe tomorrow I can be more charitable..

Thanks Rev.

Betty

I gave him the benefit of the doubt in my previous post, but this latest post is unbelievable...

Archived