Ecstasy in a little panic

gone_cruis'n

I love the armchair admirals that come out on the boards after these incidences. Why would you assume that ship is running aground if it's shaking? Or that a ship can turn on a bloody dime to avoid a buoy or an island? That ten seconds of the ship shaking sounds like cavitation to me.

I don't know what caused the shaking on the ship. But I do know for a fact that when an engine is reversed, the ship will shake because of the water being propelled under the ship. Possible that the engines were reversed for about ten seconds and then put back to forward when the turn began.

I'm not an armchair admiral, but I do know what a ship does. I was in the Navy.

But in relation to the Ecstasy. Last summer we were on the Ecstasy in an after cabin. When we pulled into progresso, the ship did a turn around and then backed up to the pier. I could feel the shaking. And this was at a much slower speed. Same thing when we got to Galveston and the ship was turning around. Imagine how much it would shake when engines are reversed at full power.

...I have a very, very clear recollection of that night, as I was sharing a cabin with my mother, who jumped out of bed and started putting all her jewelry on, followed by her life jacket ...

Nice of Dear Mother to put herself & her jewelry first in a moment like that! ;) Kind of reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where George puts himself first pushing kids out of the way so he can get to the fire exit. Funny stuff!

So what is the death count for this incident up to now??

I think it is up to '60 dead as Carnival Ecstasy nearly sinks after narrowly avoiding a torpedo launched by Somali pirates'. :eek: ..Not to mention the many bottles of fine liquor whose lives were tragically cut short.

These things take on a life of their own!

Yeah last May on the Liberty the same thing happened. Liquor and everything broke. The water came out of the pools. Even the lower decks took on some water.

What? The lower decks took on water?

Hmmm.. Not buying the official story.

It's a conspiracy I tell ya'! Probably a big cover up. Dang thing was caused by Obamacare!!

I remember about a year ago, a long thread about some kid wanting to throw a message in a bottle overboard, and how so many people on CC were against it.

Maybe he didn't listen and threw it anyway, despite all the advice he got on this site.

me thinks someone is a bit dramatic.

When it happened to us it was freaky. You can actually feel the force of the turn and the scary part is, you don't know if or when the roll is going to stop, along with all the sounds.

So yes, I can see where people thought they were inches from going over.

You have to admit, the newer ships do look tippy.:D

When it happened to us it was freaky. You can actually feel the force of the turn and the scary part is, you don't know if or when the roll is going to stop, along with all the sounds.

So yes, I can see where people thought they were inches from going over.

You have to admit, the newer ships do look tippy.:D

What's funny about this is that I've been on a ship that seemed to be listing at about 45 degrees, and I wouldn't have noticed it at all if I didn't have the good fortune to see an orange start to roll across the table. This was on an aircraft carrier, and I was sitting in the hangar when the orange started to roll. I looked out the hangar door, and instead of seeing the horizon I saw the water tilted an an impossible angle. It was like we were cartoon characters skidding around a corner.

Those things can turn fast :)

- Steve

Nice of Dear Mother to put herself & her jewelry first in a moment like that! ;) Kind of reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where George puts himself first pushing kids out of the way so he can get to the fire exit. Funny stuff!

I had to go, I had to lead the way. I am the leader. Without the leader.....all is lost!

LOL!... those two little "islands": I saw those on the TV last time I was on Ecstasy, and I asked the ship's engineer who happened to be walking by. He was aware of the little specks that show up on the TV map, but assured me in a strong accent 'there's nothing out here but flying fish'. :)

When I got home I looked for them on Google Maps, and sure enough, there are two little 'submerged islands' in that area. The water in that area is extremely deep... about 10 or 11,000 feet. These 'islands' rose to perhaps 1,000 feet of the surface. Not a factor for marine traffic except perhaps for submarines on a deep dive.

They are an interesting feature so far out in such deep water, and one that I am sure many people have wondered about.

That would be interesting to see on Google Earth. Do you know the whereabouts of their location?

Yes 60 people being injured is overly dramatic. I am sure you would say the same thing if it was your kid or mom that was injured.:mad:

It does show you things CAN and do happen. With our luck my sister would be one to fall and get hurt. At least we missed this one. Sorry for the folks affected.

It does show you things CAN and do happen.

Yes, things CAN happen! Thankfully I've never been aboard when there was an "event." I'm sure it was very scary while it was happening.

For people sailing on the Ecstasy soon, please don't let this cause you to change your mind about sailing. We've gotten on a couple ships a week or two after they had a serious list (the biggest one was on the Grand in 2006), and had extremely uneventful cruises. Lists such as the one experienced on the Ecstasy yesterday CAN happen, but they're also rare and almost always caused by unusual circumstances or emergency navigation.

Archived