Mariner leaving :( West Coast is sad

Unfortunately California has been one of the worst states hit by the bad economy. With that said, the Mariner still seemed to sell out more so than Florida ships (I know because I monitor last minute interline rates). But I also think things are turning around here and the market could very well improve for travel and cruises. Hotel rates are already back on the rise here in So Cal. So people are traveling again. I just don't get not having any ship here. Maybe all the stuff in Mexico but I doubt it. There is also a huge interest in Northern California/Northwest cruises. Ideally an alternating north/south route would do well here I think.

Oh well. I am not a bean counter nor a professional - just a professional traveler....

Royal moving Mariner to the west coast was a failure and they realized that and cut their losses asap. No way they will ever move another ship of that size to the west coast. Do you realize what a blunder that decision was in terms of financial loss for the cruise line? Millions. As for a replacement, I would guess a vision class ship doing short cruises. If the Mariner was sailing full it was because the cruise line was greatly discounting the cruise fare.

Their prices aren't exactly rock bottom trying to fill a ship. My cruise in 2 weeks is a lot higher priced now than I paid when I booked. Inside cabins are sold out and OV's are going for higher than Carnival balcony's. I like to sail out of the west coast - can't afford airlines on top of cruise - so I guess I'll not have RCI as an option. I just wish they would quit pulling ships out. We aren't left with very much here.

Royal moving Mariner to the west coast was a failure and they realized that and cut their losses asap. No way they will ever move another ship of that size to the west coast. Do you realize what a blunder that decision was in terms of financial loss for the cruise line? Millions. As for a replacement, I would guess a vision class ship doing short cruises.

As I see it, I agree with this post. Why do you think Carnival doesn't have 2 mega ships cruising the Mex. Riviera regularly? As far as I know, they have Splendor on 7 night itineraries and Elation on short itineraries. RCI had Mariner on 7 nights and Radiance on everything from 5 to 11 nights. It was too much.

I'm sure RCI will put something out there, but obviously they have been losing money on the west coast. When I did my 11 night Radiance cruise, I got in to a D1 balcony for something like $700 per person after price discounts. That's not good for them.

Their prices aren't exactly rock bottom trying to fill a ship. My cruise in 2 weeks is a lot higher priced now than I paid when I booked. Inside cabins are sold out and OV's are going for higher than Carnival balcony's. I like to sail out of the west coast - can't afford airlines on top of cruise - so I guess I'll not have RCI as an option. I just wish they would quit pulling ships out. We aren't left with very much here.

And you can bet that Carnival will take advantage of this. Watch for price increases across the board.

I checked the prices for the Mariner for this August before booking the Freedom. Prices were much less than the Freedom.

They will continue to pull ships as long as they are trying to maximize revenue........which if you are a shareholder is exactly what you want them to do.

I know it sucks sometimes........somebody wins and somebody loses.....

it is simply trying to maximize revenues.

Seriously, there is no way the Freedom goes to LA. They can't fill the Mariner there and when they do it is for extremely low prices. It seems every week there are specials for the Mariner and really low prices in most cases.

Again, this is not a true statement. The prices may have been reduced, but they are the same across the board with the exception of the Oasis, which has recently gone down again. The Mariner may not sell out way in advance of a cruise, but it has been for sure selling out. In fact, go look at the cruises for the next month - they are sold out through June. And May is generally a slow travel month because it is in between Spring Break and Summer. I am holding out hope for a replacement.....

First...RCCL guts the bennies for repeat customers....Now...they totally abandon the west coast!!.....

I tried to stay loyal to Royal....did 5 sailings from the west coast in 3 years.....

Love the product but....enough is enough!!!

Bye!

As I see it, I agree with this post. Why do you think Carnival doesn't have 2 mega ships cruising the Mex. Riviera regularly? As far as I know, they have Splendor on 7 night itineraries and Elation on short itineraries. RCI had Mariner on 7 nights and Radiance on everything from 5 to 11 nights. It was too much.

I'm sure RCI will put something out there, but obviously they have been losing money on the west coast. When I did my 11 night Radiance cruise, I got in to a D1 balcony for something like $700 per person after price discounts. That's not good for them.

Last October we paid five hundred and change for 7 nights on Mariner in a junior suite. We would never see prices like that on the east coast. Here in the north east you get an inside cabin for that price.

Again, this is not a true statement. The prices may have been reduced, but they are the same across the board with the exception of the Oasis, which has recently gone down again. The Mariner may not sell out way in advance of a cruise, but it has been for sure selling out. In fact, go look at the cruises for the next month - they are sold out through June. And May is generally a slow travel month because it is in between Spring Break and Summer. I am holding out hope for a replacement.....

Well here is a comment from the article in the USA Today.

Mariner is the largest ship ever to regularly sail out of a West Coast port, and it's arrival in Los Angeles last year was heralded as a major development for the city. It's removal is just the latest sign of how much cruise lines are struggling to fill voyages along the West Coast of Mexico.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=89328.blog

I mean seriously - do you all work for RCCL? Or are you just against a ship on the WC. How do you know how much revenue they bring in on the West Coast as opposed to other ports. Are you saying the NJ and Galveston bring in more? I just dont think that is accurate. We just sailed on the Voyager and I had a balcony for $700 pp and this was a better price than the Mariner....

Well here is a comment from the article in the USA Today.

Mariner is the largest ship ever to regularly sail out of a West Coast port, and it's arrival in Los Angeles last year was heralded as a major development for the city. It's removal is just the latest sign of how much cruise lines are struggling to fill voyages along the West Coast of Mexico.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=89328.blog

A year ago I would have agreed with this statement........

I mean seriously - do you all work for RCCL? Or are you just against a ship on the WC. How do you know how much revenue they bring in on the West Coast as opposed to other ports. Are you saying the NJ and Galveston bring in more? I just dont think that is accurate. We just sailed on the Voyager and I had a balcony for $700 pp and this was a better price than the Mariner....

I must agree. Every year I sail during the height of Spring Break, and I always check the prices for 2 cabins on Voyager out of Galveston and Mariner out of LA, Mariner has always been way more expensive. I am already booked for March 2011 on Voyager, which was dirt cheap compared to the prices which were coming up for Mariner (now void, of course).

Oh, relax. It's just an educated guess. Common sense says if the ships are being taken away, the likely reason is lack of profit. Care to offer a better explanation?

I could care less what ship they have on the west coast. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize the cruise line was losing money with the Mariner on the west coast. Anyone with half a brain realizes that. Why do you think they are moving it? When you make a mistake you cut your losses and correct it.

LOL. No we don't work for the cruise line. It's called common sense. Why would any cruise line pull a ship from a market if it is doing well? Think about it. It all comes down to $$$$$. Each ship has a target amount of money that it must make from not only sales from the ticket prices but also on board purchases. Galveston found this out several years ago when they lost a couple of ships. Now they only get one ship for about six months.

Also, explain why Carnival moved a couple of ships away from the west coast.

My only guess about this is because of Mexico's current travel crisis. I own a condo in Cabo, so I go there often.

For the past 3 years, between crime sprees, drug problems, kidnappings, beheadings, car jackings, swine flu, earthquakes, and a bunch of other unfortunate happenings in Mexico, people are really afraid to travel there. Not just cruises, flights and hotels are being given away, and it has been this way for a while.

Perhaps RCCL thinks this trend will continue, and wants to get out before it gets worse?

My only guess about this is because of Mexico's current travel crisis. I own a condo in Cabo, so I go there often.

For the past 3 years, between crime sprees, drug problems, kidnappings, beheadings, car jackings, swine flu, earthquakes, and a bunch of other unfortunate happenings in Mexico, people are really afraid to travel there. Not just cruises, flights and hotels are being given away, and it has been this way for a while.

Perhaps RCCL thinks this trend will continue, and wants to get out before it gets worse?

Might play a role, but honestly I think that the no 1 reason for leaving LA is REVENUE.

I actually wish they would leave her out there but as it has been stated, they are moving lots of ships around not just the Mariner in order to make more money. There will be a big reduction of ships in Alaska as well. RCCL obviously feels the money is in Europe and Australia right now. Remember they are moving the Radiance to Australia to join the Rhapsody.

As a side note you never know this could backfire on them down the road especially if this Volcano thing drags on for years like it did in the 1800's. FYI, anyone noticed a lot of the Europe cruises are now on the 1 day Tuesday sale?

Yup, just announced. When she returns, she is moving to Galveston. I can hear them cheering from here! lol What are we to do over here now? Will we even have a ship?

http://www.nationofwhynot.com/blog/?p=1194&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+WhyNotRecentPosts+%28Why+Not%3F%29&utm_content=FaceBook

Why would we cheer, Voyager and Mariner are sister ships, about the same size. We still only have a winter ship. Doesnt seem like the greatest news, but now we have a choice of going out of New Orleans or Galveston anyway.

I would be floored if this is a final decision for RCCL and that they plan on pulling out completely, that is all I am arguing. It seems to me that we have the same or similar market to other ports (not Florida obviously). One could argue that this big difference here is in fact Mexico. I think that may be more to blame then revenue.

If they do pull out completely it really is too bad. I think there are alot of people who don't like Mexico but would have loved a Pacific Coast route. I personally don't care and would have sailed the Mariner regardless of ports.

I know that without RCCL as a choice, I may be jumping ship....

Can someone please tell me where it states that RCCL will be sailing out of New Orleans again?

This is great news if it is true but I can't find it on the website yet and on this thread they were talking 2011-Voyager???

found it!! nevermind!!! YAY!!!!

Why would we cheer, Voyager and Mariner are sister ships, about the same size. We still only have a winter ship. Doesnt seem like the greatest news, but now we have a choice of going out of New Orleans or Galveston anyway.

Have been on both and prefer Mariner. It's newer.

Archived