Mariner leaving :( West Coast is sad

One could argue that this big difference here is in fact Mexico. I think that may be more to blame then revenue.

It goes hand in hand. The fear of going to Mexico may play a big part, but regardless, even if that's it, it still results in loss of revenue.

Can someone please tell me where it states that RCCL will be sailing out of New Orleans again?

This is great news if it is true but I can't find it on the website yet and on this thread they were talking 2011-Voyager???

Look at the link provided on the Voyager to NOLA thread. It's there.

Edit to add link.

http://www.nationofwhynot.com/blog/?p=1194&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+WhyNotRecentPosts+%28Why+Not%3F%29&utm_content=FaceBook

I would be floored if this is a final decision for RCCL and that they plan on pulling out completely, that is all I am arguing. It seems to me that we have the same or similar market to other ports (not Florida obviously). One could argue that this big difference here is in fact Mexico. I think that may be more to blame then revenue.

If they do pull out completely it really is too bad. I think there are alot of people who don't like Mexico but would have loved a Pacific Coast route. I personally don't care and would have sailed the Mariner regardless of ports.

I know that without RCCL as a choice, I may be jumping ship....

LA is too big of a market for Royal to pull out of completely. They'll put something there.

Again, this is not a true statement. The prices may have been reduced, but they are the same across the board with the exception of the Oasis, which has recently gone down again. The Mariner may not sell out way in advance of a cruise, but it has been for sure selling out. In fact, go look at the cruises for the next month - they are sold out through June. And May is generally a slow travel month because it is in between Spring Break and Summer. I am holding out hope for a replacement.....

The Mariner is not sold out through June. Quad cabins are sold out on some sailings but there are definitely cabins available for 2.

You might think they are making money on the west coast but I just priced a D1 balcony for the same week I sailed the Mariner two years in a row out of Port Canaveral. It is selling for $1,189pp. We paid around $1,400pp in 2008 and $1,200pp in 2007. We booked 2007 in April of that year and 2008 in January. Two years later the rate for the same D1 is less? They aren't going to make any money with that revenue model.

Why would we cheer, Voyager and Mariner are sister ships, about the same size. We still only have a winter ship. Doesnt seem like the greatest news, but now we have a choice of going out of New Orleans or Galveston anyway.

While they are the same size ship, they are different. Voyager is a first generation Voyager class but Mariner in one of the second generation ships. The balcony design alone would steer me to Mariner over Voyager any day not to mention having both Chops and Portofino.

So first we lose Monarch, now Mariner?? They really are ignoring their strong West Coast base, and that's not good. I already tried Carnival's Splendor, no bueno. Where the heck does that leave me now???:eek::(:mad:

janet_4.jpg

Welcome to the club.

I agree that it's Mexico's crisis that is affecting the number of people who will go to Mexico.

We're leaving tomorrow on the Radiance and there are several members of our roll call who are thinking about not getting of the ship in Acapulco. They just had a major shoot out in a tourist area last week. It's very sad

Last October we paid five hundred and change for 7 nights on Mariner in a junior suite. We would never see prices like that on the east coast. Here in the north east you get an inside cabin for that price.

Prices never dropped below $500 for a inside guarantee on Voyager for the many dates I was watching this spring. If they had I was going to book her. I did Voyager the last two springs and their previous ship (Rhapsody) the year before, and this spring had the highest prices ... well I think I paid about $500isht plus $10 pp per day fuel last year. If you count fuel charges, then they were even higher last year, total price. I couldnt find a price I wanted to pay this spring on Voyager low enough that I ever booked, we did a land vacation.

Clearly Mariner isnt pulling down prices like it does elsewhere. I hope with two ships in the gulf prices might come down a smidgeon. I hope so. Im just dissapointed that we still only have ships during the winter months.

Prices never dropped below $500 for a inside guarantee on Voyager for the many dates I was watching this spring. If they had I was going to book her. I did Voyager the last two springs and their previous ship (Rhapsody) the year before, and this spring had the highest prices ... well I think I paid about $500isht plus $10 pp per day fuel last year. If you count fuel charges, then they were even higher last year, total price. I couldnt find a price I wanted to pay this spring on Voyager low enough that I ever booked, we did a land vacation.

Clearly Mariner isnt pulling down prices like it does elsewhere. I hope with two ships in the gulf prices might come down a smidgeon. I hope so. Im just dissapointed that we still only have ships during the winter months.

I was hoping for a Freedom Class ship out of Cape Liberty but it doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime in the near future.

I just got off the phone with Royal and yes it is true. I had three cabins booked last May when we were rerouted through the Northwest because of swine flu. We were disappointed not to get to go to Mexico but the new itinerary was fine and we rolled with the punches.

Royal gave all six of us a future cruise credit for $300.00 each provided we would use it on a new Mexico cruise by April 24, 2011 and I booked three more cabins for March 20th 2011 for spring break.

Now were disappointed again and Royal doesn't seem to be able to answer questions about this, saying they will contact me. We got great rates on a J.S and two D'1s and the third person in each room. We were introducing another new person to cruising who is the sister of the new person we introduced to cruising last year that was disappointed we didn't go to Mexico. I haven't told them yet.

Royal doesn't seem to know if our $300.00 cruise credits will be able to be used at all since they are not going to sail the Mexico itinerary anymore. I booked Spring break since my so-in-law is a teacher. All the spring break prices have gone up now and i'm curious if Royal will make this right and offer us something comparable.

We are loyal to Royal but are feeling a little disappointed right now. :confused:

Why would we cheer, Voyager and Mariner are sister ships, about the same size. We still only have a winter ship. Doesnt seem like the greatest news, but now we have a choice of going out of New Orleans or Galveston anyway.

With all the grumblings about Galveston lately I just thought Texans would be happy. While seasonally, you have yet another ship option. While the same class, not the same ship. We, however, at least at this point, have NADA! Just sayin'...:D

And I greatly prefer Voyager, so there ya go....:D What I don't prefer is having nothing to sail on except for crusty old Carnival!

I am not sure why you felt the Splendor was crusty and old....? :confused: We enjoyed our time on the Splendor.

Nevertheless, hopefully we at least get a Vision Class ship back.

That just doesn't make sense to me. Not your comment, just why wouldn't the cruise market be good from the west coast? Do people on this side of the country cruise less, enjoy the ocean less, go to Hawaii more? I just wish I had some idea as to why the cruise market is not any good over here. Perhaps it is that we have just the one itinerary with very little variation? I suppose that could be.

All I know is that I need to go get me some cheese for my Whine!!!!! :(:(:(

When we were on the 2/28 sailing, it was the cheapest cruise I have booked, ever including one after 9/11. I think it is filled with very few people that are booking air/hotel packages, and other things that are very profitable. Few people besides me seemed to be willing to fly across the country to sail to Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. I can fly to those places as cheaply as I can to LA. I enjoyed the cruise, and I am sorry for the west coast crowd that was very present on our sailing. That said. Years ago, when people said that LA could support a Voyager class ship, I was highly skeptical. I think time has proven me at least semi clueful.:D

jc

ROYAL CARIBBEAN ANNOUNCES

NEW 2011-12 DEPLOYMENT FOR MARINER OF THE SEAS

Mariner of the Seas to Augment Record-setting Europe Deployment in 2011

MIAMI, April 22, 2010 – Royal Caribbean International today announced the redeployment of Mariner of the Seas, which will take effect in January 2011. Mariner of the Seas will offer a short South America season before debuting in the Mediterranean as Royal Caribbean’s record-setting 11th ship in the region for summer 2011. Mariner of the Seas will homeport at Rome (Civitavecchia) from March through October 2011, replacing Splendour of the Seas, which will now homeport in Venice, offering 10- and 11-night Greek Isles and Turkey itineraries for the season. Mariner of the Seas will then return to North America for the 2011-12 winter season, offering seven-night Western Caribbean itineraries from Galveston, Texas, replacing Voyager of the Seas. As a result, Voyager of the Seas will herald Royal Caribbean’s return to New Orleans in winter 2011-12, offering vacationers another Gulf Coast port to embark on a memorable seven-night Western Caribbean cruise.

The Mexican Riviera has traditionally been an important market for Royal Caribbean International, with the Port of Los Angeles and Mexican local, state and federal government agencies, and their private sectors playing a supportive role as valued partners. While Royal Caribbean International looks forward to returning to the region in the future, Mariner of the Seas will sail its final round-trip Mexican Riviera itinerary from Los Angeles on January 9, 2011.

Guests currently booked on Mariner of the Seas’ Mexican Riviera sailings from January 16, 2011, and onward will be contacted with the following offer. Until May 6, 2010, affected guests can opt for a full refund of any fares paid, or enjoy $200 onboard credit per stateroom ($400 per suite category stateroom) when they rebook their vacation, at the same fare or lower prevailing fare, on a Mariner of the Seas sailing before January 16, 2011, or on the same 2011 departure date aboard Voyager of the Seas, sailing from Galveston. Travel agents also will receive a $50 bonus commission for rebooking affected clients, whose names and deposits have been submitted, to these Mariner of the Seas and Voyager of the Seas sailings. More information is available at http://www.RoyalCaribbean.com/MarinerOfTheSeasRedeployment.

On January 16, 2011, Mariner of the Seas will reposition from Los Angeles on a 16-night itinerary to Valparaiso, Chile, followed by a 14-night voyage that cruises the Straits of Magellan and Cape Horn at the southern tip of South America to Sao Paulo (Santos), Brazil. The ship will then offer a short Brazilian cruise season, before crossing the Atlantic to debut in Europe at its new seasonal homeport of Rome (Civitavecchia), where Mariner of the Seas will sail seven-night Western Mediterranean and 12-night Mediterranean Holy Land and Mediterranean Egypt itineraries. In November 2011, Mariner of the Seas will debut at Galveston to offer Texas vacationers two roundtrip seven-night Western Caribbean itineraries through April 2012. Mariner of the Seas’ new 2011 Europe and South America, and 2011-12 Western Caribbean itineraries, Splendour of the Seas’ new 2011 Europe itineraries, and Voyager of the Seas’ new 2011-12 Western Caribbean itineraries will be opened for booking in the near future.

Guests aboard Mariner of the Seas’ new 2011 Holy Land itineraries can choose a variety of shore excursion options, at an additional charge, that visit some of the most sacred sites in Israel, including Bethlehem, Nazareth, the Wailing Wall, the Church of the Holy Sepulcher and many others. “Grand Overland” takes guests on the most comprehensive overview of this fascinating region with an overnight stay in Jerusalem. On the Egypt cruises, “Grand Egypt Tour” offers guests a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to visit the awe-inspiring Pyramids and mysterious Sphinx at Cairo, and the Valley of the Kings in Luxor. Guests also should not miss the largest collection of Roman ruins in the eastern Mediterranean and the iconic Library of Celsius on “Best of Ephesus.”

Are we second class citizens out here? COME ON' date=' ROYAL! You HAVE TO GIVE US SOMETHING! Rediculous![/font']

Seriously, HAVE TO GIVE... seriously????

Do you realise what that sounds like? :eek:

We are so deep in doo doo....:(

jc

Archived