when to book

xop

How far in advance should we book our cruise? I'm looking at Sept. 2011 and I'm getting nervous. Hubby says wait until Jan. and I'm ready NOW. He's the type that waits for everything and when we go back to get it, it's gone. I like to know ahead of time I'm all set in my plans. So...how many months ahead of time is good? We're not looking for a specific cabin. Thanks

Book now for best cabin selection, if you can afford to tie up the deposit money for that long. Most cruise lines will refund the difference in price if there is a price drop, if it goes up instead you are getting a better price now.

I'll tell you about my latest experiences. I booked an RCCL cruise on the Grandeur of the Seas. Prices were pretty high for the balcony cabin we really wanted. But our CC friends were going, so we booked an inside. Just before final payment, there was a big price drop for balcony cabins. We snagged a balcony for $300 more total. Then, less than a week before the cruise, Mini-Suites dropped to the same price as the balcony, we snagged one. We sailed in a Mini-Suite for $300 more than an inside. Now, we are going next month on Celebrity Summit. We booked an inside, then there was a Military rate that came up on a Concierge Class balcony cabin. It was $110 total (not PP) more than the inside & actually much less than a regular balcony. Both these cruises were booked way in advance.

Every cruise we booked before these two, the price did nothing but go up. A whole lot of people paid a whole lot more than we did!

Moral of story, check prices religiously. Also, early booking can get you the best price & best selection.

How far in advance should we book our cruise?
Book NOW. You'll get a better choice of cabin. IF prices go down, you can get a price adjustment. If prices go up, yours won't. Get travel insurance and don't worry.

We booked the NCL Epic about 15 months early. We got a great price on the exact mid-ship balcony we wanted. It looks like the prices have done nothing but go up. Another little tidbit, even the travel insurance we bought has gone up in price. :)

Book now if you know which cruise you wish to do. Just be sure that if something happens to change your plans this far out that you can cancel without any penalties before final payment. Then sit back and watch for price drops which on most cruiselines you will be eligible for until at least final payment date. Just be sure that if you do book through a TA that they don't have their own fees for cancellation or making any changes to your book, including as price drops.

If it's a particular cruise you want, book now. But if there are several different ships doing similar itineraries and you aren't tied down to a particular one, wait until after the final payment date for big price drops.

My concern with booking ahead was with insurance. To cover pre-existing conditions must buy insurance within x number of days. And by doing that I would be increasing my commitment because while I could get the deposit refunded before the final payment I could not get a refund on the insurance.

However I have read on some other posts that some insurance policies while not refundable, can be cancelled and the credit used within a year.

I have not yet checked that out but if that is confirmed by the insurance company it sounds like the best solution to get the best cabin at the best price (as previous posters have advised) and yet minimize the financial risk if I have to cancel before final payment.

There are some itineraries that sell out quickly such as North Cape and Black Sea. There are some dates that sell out quickly such as holiday cruises. If it is important to be in a specific stateroom on a specific ship and at a specific date, (or some combination of the above) then book early.

We are booked on a river cruise for December of 2011 because 1) the capacity of the ship is relatively small (maximum passengers 92); 2) the itinerary is popular; 3) the time of year typically sells out quickly; and 4) we wanted a specific stateroom.

Archived