Kids in their own room

SunLover99

It would be my husband and I and our 11 year old son cruising. I would really like to have two rooms. I know it would have to be booked as my son and I in one room and DH in the other. But could my son sleep in the room by himself? Is this allowed or discouraged?

As long as the rooms are next door or across the hall, it is not a problem on most lines.

I assume you know the cost of a single cabin is usually 150% to 200% of the double occupany rate.

Yes.

If you have 2 cabins you'll be paying for 4 adults total, not 2 adults + 1 child or 3 adults.

It's going to cost you a whole lot more money than it would if your son shared the cabin with you. One of you will be paying double the fare due to the single supplement. Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to have a child alone in a cabin by himself. Too many people with a master key can have access to his cabin, and how would you know if he would sneak out in the middle of the night? Sorry, but I'm not a fan of an 11 year old alone in a ship's cabin.

We are travelling with our 11yo with us in a balcony cabin so she has the sofa bed to sleep on rather than having an overhead bed.

Compare the prices, you might be cheaper going with one better cabin than two insides.;)

If you want him in a room on your own because you want a little time to yourselves, then remember he's still young enough to be booked into the kids club to give you all a bit of space...:D

fwiw we are booked into a hotel with separate rooms for a few nights before we cruise, wouldn't want to be sleeping next to DD for a whole fortnight.;)

I'd certainly take into consideration what others here have posted. Different cruise lines have different cabin configurations. If I were you, I'd book one cabin with triple accomodations, and maybe look at a suite with a curtain divider. It would probably be cheaper than paying double for your son for his own cabin, even though one of you would be sleeping in it with him. What cruise line/s are you considering?

we just booked a cruise - originally i booked 2 inside cabins right next to each other we have two kids 9 and 11 at the time we go. I definitly would not feel comfortable all night w/them alone next door - what if they had a bad dream, or got sick or slept walked out - anyway i would not be comfortable, then i was thinking my husband and i could split (he was not happy about it) but then i was thinking, what if my husband wanted to stay up late one night and i took the kids back to the room - 1 of us would be in the cabin alone, or i like to get up early and go down for a walk - a kid would wake up alone - and i'm not so so overprotective, but still...so i switched the room we will all be in one inside room, i guess it will be a bit tight, but i'll be sleeping better knowing we are all together. i am actually paying about 100.00 more for 1 room than 2 - crazy!

It would be my husband and I and our 11 year old son cruising. I would really like to have two rooms. I know it would have to be booked as my son and I in one room and DH in the other. But could my son sleep in the room by himself? Is this allowed or discouraged?

We have booked the AB suites on NCL in the past for our family. These cabins are wonderful and offer you two bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, one living/dining area, balcony, butler and concierge, and lots of wonderful perks. There are also courtyard suites and other suites that may offer you some space.

Some other lines may also have similar arrangements. Our kids are now 15 and 12 and we have not felt comfortable having them in a cabin or suite without an adult. We pay extra for the suite or we all make the best of being in one room.

I will end with this story. On our 2006 and 2007 cruises one of our children (son in 2006, Daughter in 2007) had a sleep walking episode. In both cases, I was able to stop them from trying to leave the cabin. I am not sure that they would have been able to get out but I am so glad that I was there and a light sleeper. When they were really small they did sleep walk on occasion but not for several years!

Good luck with finding the best situation for your family:).

If you want him in a separate room, you could look into adjoining rooms. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but you know your child [and yourselves!] best.

I would not even feel comfortable with adjoining cabins...But I might with connecting cabins. EM

We are travelling with our 11yo with us in a balcony cabin so she has the sofa bed to sleep on rather than having an overhead bed.

Compare the prices, you might be cheaper going with one better cabin than two insides.;)

If you want him in a room on your own because you want a little time to yourselves, then remember he's still young enough to be booked into the kids club to give you all a bit of space...:D

fwiw we are booked into a hotel with separate rooms for a few nights before we cruise, wouldn't want to be sleeping next to DD for a whole fortnight.;)

I would agree. You'll have plenty of time to spend alone while your child is having fun in the kids' program. You didn't say which ship or when, but if you are going on one of the mass market lines (Carnival, RC, Princess, NCL, even HAL and Celebrity) and at a time when many kids are out of school, there will be plenty of kids for him to play with. With the possibility (even rare) of something happening at sea, I would feel better, personally, having my child with me when it's late at night.

we just booked a cruise - originally i booked 2 inside cabins right next to each other we have two kids 9 and 11 at the time we go. I definitly would not feel comfortable all night w/them alone next door - what if they had a bad dream, or got sick or slept walked out - anyway i would not be comfortable, then i was thinking my husband and i could split (he was not happy about it) but then i was thinking, what if my husband wanted to stay up late one night and i took the kids back to the room - 1 of us would be in the cabin alone, or i like to get up early and go down for a walk - a kid would wake up alone - and i'm not so so overprotective, but still...so i switched the room we will all be in one inside room, i guess it will be a bit tight, but i'll be sleeping better knowing we are all together. i am actually paying about 100.00 more for 1 room than 2 - crazy!

Why not get 2 connecting cabins, keep the door slightly open all the time, nobody will ever be alone.

As long as the rooms are next door or across the hall, it is not a problem on most lines.

I assume you know the cost of a single cabin is usually 150% to 200% of the double occupany rate.

A few years ago, we took our 11 yr old daughter on a cruise, and Carnival had what they called a "single" oceanview. It was in the back of the ship, and it was laid out around the emergency stairwell. It was perfect, and best of all, we didn't have to pay for a double. The single rate was more than normal, but less than paying for 2. Our room was next door, it worked out great. All of her girlfriends came to her room to get ready for dinner. She even had a "sleepover" one night. She loved it. I would ask your TA to check.

I've booked two rooms....one balcony and the inside room across the hall...and the inside room is for my sons, who will be 2 months shy of their 16th birthdays when we cruise in July. This being our first cruise, I didn't even know they had adjoining cabins on ships and it was never mentioned by our TA. I just know my husband and I didn't particularly want to share one small cabin w/2 teenage boys who are almost as big as we are. I thought since they were directly across the hall they'd be close. They're not the type to sneak out and I guess I didn't think I'd have to be concerned about their safety once in the room. Even so, I wish I looked at the deck plans more closely and had known about the adjoining rooms before I booked. Actually, the RCI agent suggested I get them a room across the hall instead of having them stay in the cabin with us... obviously RCI comes out financially ahead on this suggestion.

McMargie, your configuration is a popular one for families with older kids, one balcony and one inside, so everyone can use the balcony but you're only paying one balcony price.. adjoining rooms with a door between would have had you paying for two balconies - fine if you have the money,but expensive if you'd rather spend the money on something else.

Of course the inside cabin will be there if you fancy a nap in the daytime, they're all the way dark with the door shut.:)

I've booked two rooms....one balcony and the inside room across the hall...and the inside room is for my sons, who will be 2 months shy of their 16th birthdays when we cruise in July. This being our first cruise, I didn't even know they had adjoining cabins on ships and it was never mentioned by our TA. I just know my husband and I didn't particularly want to share one small cabin w/2 teenage boys who are almost as big as we are. I thought since they were directly across the hall they'd be close. They're not the type to sneak out and I guess I didn't think I'd have to be concerned about their safety once in the room. Even so, I wish I looked at the deck plans more closely and had known about the adjoining rooms before I booked. Actually, the RCI agent suggested I get them a room across the hall instead of having them stay in the cabin with us... obviously RCI comes out financially ahead on this suggestion.

As I mentioned above, connecting cabins would always be my first choice. I have had connecting on Royal Caribbean, Disney and Carnival. Only way to go when traveling with kids(in my opinion although I realize many people see nothing wrong with putting kids in cabins alone).

We have done all 3 options. Our first cruise on Disney we had our kids in a quad cabin with us (they were 10 and 8). On our next cruise on RCL we had connecting Promenade cabins and they had their own. IMHO, it was the absolute best arrangement. On our third cruise on Princess our kids were 11 and 9 and we booked adjoining cabins and the kids had their own. I was worried at first, but it turned out to be a really nice idea. My hubby is an early to bed guy, so I usually hung out in the kids cabin until I put them to bed. My son and I both had keys to both cabins. We always booked insides so it was less money. Our next cruise is booked on Princess and we will have a quad balcony this time, but I think my preference is connecting cabins. However, those are few on the Princess ships. Since I am employed by Princess now, they are always our first choice.

Archived