Material for Caribbean clothing

I'm off to the Caribbean in August, and I've never been anywhere 'tropical' in my entire life. Can someone give me advice about what material I should be looking for for clothing? Am I right in thinking linen and cotton are right? Also, linen seems to be very scratchy and creases easily - is that the case, or am I just finding cheap linen!?

I'm off to the Caribbean in August, and I've never been anywhere 'tropical' in my entire life. Can someone give me advice about what material I should be looking for for clothing? Am I right in thinking linen and cotton are right? Also, linen seems to be very scratchy and creases easily - is that the case, or am I just finding cheap linen!?

I would just select light weight cottons and rayons for the Caribbean. Personally, I do not like linen and I too think that it can be "scratchy", especially if you get warm/hot while wearing it. It definitely wrinkles a lot easier too.

Sue

Just don't wear polyester.:) I wear cotton blends and pretty much just my normal summer clothes. Just think of "tropical" weather as humid summer weather, that's all. Doesn't require special clothes, just comfy, summer ones. I won't wear linen either and I don't own any. While it's lightweight, it packs terribly and even if it's not wrinkled when you put it on, it will be very quickly once you wear it for a few minutes.

Hi, I hope you have a wonderful time:). If you are gong to wear linen,

then find a linen blend. I do own linen items but they are

the blended stuff and wear much better than 100% linen. I

don't usually bring them on my cruises though.

But I would agree with the others, just wear lightweight stuff.

Cotton/cotton blends are very breathable and lightweight.

I am guessing your are asking about this for daytime wear? Many

times I put on bathing suit and coverup if it is a sea day:D

I wear a lot of cotton or cotton blend, like the jersey knit. I like the a lite cotton b/c it breathes. Jersey knit is almost always thinner and very soft and comfortable. I've seen a lot of that material this year.

Think hot....think sweat mixed with moisture from humidity......

If it's hot and humid a sun dress will be more comfortable than shorts and a T (at least for me :p). But I make it an A-line dress, not a billowy one so as not to have to hold the dress down all day.

I wear cotton and linen, I don't mind the wrinkles. I find better cottons are not scratchy like cheaper versions.

If it's hot and humid a sun dress will be more comfortable than shorts and a T (at least for me :p). But I make it an A-line dress, not a billowy one so as not to have to hold the dress down all day.

I wear cotton and linen, I don't mind the wrinkles. I find better cottons are not scratchy like cheaper versions.

Hi Kathy, I love PIMA cotton:)..it is sooooo soft!:D

I live in Atlanta (hot and humid all summer, yay...:rolleyes:) and I live in cottons. I actually prefer woven cotton to knits for dresses because the knits tend to cling to you when you are hot (which makes me feel even hotter!). But of course t-shirts are great -- as Lois says, pima is so soft. Just look for lighter-weight knits rather than heavier ones.

If you are going to be doing anything active (e.g., hiking, ziplining) the high-tech fabrics they sell in sports stores are also good because they wick the moisture away from your body and they tend to dry very quickly.

I love linen and don't mind the wrinkles. I almost always wear linen in the summer and find it very cool. Or cotton.

I once complained about linen wrinkles to a grande dame of fashion to which she replied....."then people know you're wearing REAL linen, my dear". :D

I love linen and don't mind the wrinkles. I almost always wear linen in the summer and find it very cool. Or cotton.

I once complained about linen wrinkles to a grande dame of fashion to which she replied....."then people know you're wearing REAL linen, my dear". :D

Amen! I love linen and don't have any that's scratchy. ;)

Just saw a fashion show the other day. They were saying linen is great for hot weather, and it is meant to have wrinkles in it, said it is worn alot in the Caribbean.

Your fabric choices depend on how you handle heat, really. If you are an orchid type, then it really doesn't matter. Pick stuff that looks summery and...er...don't sweat it! :D

If you are like me and don't handle heat well, then you have to look for natural fabrics. In order of coolness: linen, gauzy cottons, tropical weight wool, thin cottons, silk gauze, thin silks (but watch for sweat marks), heavier cottons. And of course, blends of the above. No linings...often they are polyester even in garments made of natural fabrics. You should look for 95-100% natural.

Linen is a wonderful fabric and is supposed to wrinkle....I find it packs well if you use tissue. Tropical weight wool will, I'm sure, start an argument, but it breathes beautifully and honestly will keep you cooler than most fabrics and without wrinkles. Having said that, I have yet to find appropriate clothing choices in tropical weight wool for women. (I use it for historic costuming...I don't sew for real life) I'm not a huge fan of rayon, but I can't say that's based on anything tangible. I mostly hate how it gets crispy when wet and is usually dry-clean only. Since I rarely wear it, I can't say how it handles the heat.

Of course, inside the ship is climate controlled. You don't have to worry about fabric choices for evenings, and may need a wrap/shawl/bolero.

Two things I'm trying new this year are 95% cotton "wicking" trousers from Tabi and a "wicking" sports bra while sightseeing. They do such interesting things with fabrics these days!

Think summery. I tend to lean towards cotton/linen sundresses or skirts, sometimes denim shorts, cotton shorts, linen capris, etc. I find that skirts are usually cooler than pants. I have linen capris and a linen sundress (I guess they could be mixes but I'd have to look) and I don't think they're scratchy.

For dinner, I tend to wear jersey or more filmy fabrics.

Archived