Golden to Hawaii - Balcony or Ocean View?

calvin31

Hi guys,

I need some advice and I thought I would turn to my favorite Cruise Critic members to help me out. :)

My wife and 6 year old daughter are going to be on the Feb. 26, 2011 Golden Princess cruise from LA to Hawaii and originally booked an inside cabin. I am now thinking I would like to upgrade but I'm not sure if I should go with the Ocean View or the Balcony cabin.

I would like to hear from anyone about this.... I am worried that because there are 8 days on the open ocean, and then we'll be in 4 ports in Hawaii, having a balcony might be an unnecessary expense.

I would rather spend the difference between Ocean View and Balcony on shore excursions or other fun stuff.

Also...another question...where is the bed for the 3rd (or 4th) passenger in both of these cabins. Does anyone have pictures to show? I imagine in the ocean view cabin the regular bed is situated under the window and therefore the bunks would be on either side of the window (similar to an inside cabin), but how does it work with a Balcony cabin.

I look forward to hearing back from you all.

Brent

I agree that each persons finances are different. I also love sitting on the balcony watching the sea go by. In fact I'm on my balcony watching the sea go by right now on my laptop. I find it very relaxing. Lots to do on the ship while at sea but many times it's nice to to sit and enjoy the expansive ocean.

We've been on 2 TA's and got balconies because of the At Sea days - this cruise has more than those do so we went balcony on the 9 Jan 11 Golden Hawaii. Is extra and each needs to decide if worth it - is for us.

Den

I just did this cruise with a balcony and I will never go without again. It is mostly protected from the wind and a great place to just hang out. As far as shore excursions go you really only have time for one in each port anyway. Enjoy your cruise!

We have been on this cruise twice an the balcony is the only way to go. We where lucky to be able to see the whales from are balcony and had great sea days.

Have a great cruise.

Since this cruise is in Feb the weather going and coming back is going to be chily. We've done this cruise twice and 4 or 5 of the days the balcony will either be to cold or windy to use. I personally would get an ocean view and use the extra money in Hawaii. The last 2 cruises we've had a balcony and didn't use it that much. Either because of weather or smokers beside us.

In fact I'm seriously thinking of getting a window for our b2b caribbean cruise next yr for these reasons. Use the money for other fun things:)

Hi, I would be more concerned having a child and a balcony. I would be too afraid. I think that's why I don't have any kids, I don't want to give up my balcony! j/k :p

I have never had an ocean view on princess but I think the 3RD bed probably pulls down from the wall.

Just got off the Golden Hawaii cruise with a balcony. Although I agree that a balcony is the only way to cruise, for this 14 night Hawaiian itinerary, don't book it. Save your money and get an outside. Nine sea days and only 1/2 day was warm enough to sit on the balcony. We do use ours a lot, too. I was very disappointed. I know someone who also traveled about your same time of the month, years prior and she said the same thing about not getting enough use of the balcony. Don't worry about a 6 year old if you do decide to spend the extra money. Just set the rules - no climbing!

To save even more money, rent a car in Hilo, Kauai and Maui; Thrifty, Thrifty and Enterprise. There is a note on the Hawaii forum with a rental car discount rate. We had a Dodge Caliber (compact) small SUV's for $35 inc. all taxes. You are in the USA so driving is easy. Oahu has too much traffic and parking is at a premium. The city bus system is $2.50 per person each way so make use of it.

My recent review is posted in the Member Review Section.

What ever you decide make sure the cabin is in the center of the ship. The last time we went the first 4 days were ROUGH !. Better to have a cabin in the center of the ship where it will be a bit smoother. :)

We're balcony people also. It's never too cold. That is what jackets and sweaters are for. We have done the Hawaii cruise in early February and early March the last two years and never found it unbearable to be on the balcony.

If I'm going to Hawaii, I hardly want to be packing jackets and sweaters for a cruise:rolleyes: I bought a sweatshirt on the ship and that was enough for me. Would rather use the extra money for having fun on the Islands

We went in January. Had an aft balcony and enjoyed more time on it than any other activity we did! The weather was warm for the most part. There was one day I sat on the balcony with a light windbreaker. I would never do that itinerary without a balcony.

I do enjoy the balcony to have my breakfast on and maybe cocktails in the evening, but we've truely found that we just don't use it enough to justify the cost. Would rather be "out & about" chatting with other passengers .

Every cruise is different in what cabin I book.

Archived