LIVE from the Ruby Princess - VENICE to BARCELONA; May 17th to May 29th

Pia1913

We recently finished this cruise in Venice on the 17th. I would quite happily have stayed on board to do it all again!

Our visit to Athens was a bit of a disappointment though. The place itself was great, but the guide(s) on our excursion were not good. Before we had even gone anywhere, We firstly had a street seller on our coach trying to sell us guides, and postcards. Then our guide handed out our headsets but didn't bother asking us to test them, so once we reached the Parthenon there were a few people who couldn't hear anything. Then we were subjected to the biggest load of Propaganda regarding the Elgin Marbles. Thankfully our headsets were so distorted that most people couldn't really hear what was being said. I had heard enough 'information' so I removed my headset. After a fantastic lunch at a hotel (the chef was really informative on the food he had prepared for us and answered all our questions about it) we were back on the coach. Our guide then informed us that the Greek economy wasn't as bad as the press were making out. 2 minutes later we drove past the scene where 3 people had been killed in the trouble on the 5th. Very sad. Apart from this, the cruise was great.

We even liked the comic juggler. I can see why he may not be everyone's cup of tea. The humour was quite dry, so I think he would appeal to the English sense of humour more than others (he sounded like he had a London accent so that may explain it). We also very much enjoyed the nightclub on the Rock n Roll evening. Not many people were in there so we basically made a number of requests to the DJ and spent much longer than we had planned in there (getting up for our tour the next day was quite hard!). We thought the area could have been advertised a little better. The adverts for it in the Patter never really sold it to us (Rock n Roll evening basically meant rock music which was great for us). The decor and views in there are very nice but it just seemed a bit of a waste with so few people in there.

Our journey through the airport at Venice was a pain for us flying to the UK. We were late leaving the ship in Venice as our plane was behind schedule due to the ash cloud. Once we reached the airport we queued for ages to check-in, then we had another long wait through security. We joked that the express check-in option would have been money well spent, but we would still have had to wait for everyone else anyway. I've now got the post holiday blues (as well as a large credit card bill!) and have been looking online for our next potential cruise.

This is it for this one. Then Emerald for one week in June and nothing until the biggie in Sept. (see sig line)

Pia - Heard the guys on the Wake Show this morning, as they pulled your name as one of the 3 winning tickets for something that I didn't hear, asking "Pia--are you STILL aboard this ship??" :D:D Guess you'll be getting back to the limericks now, huh?

Liz - we did the vow renewal a few years back and it was lovely - I'd go for the long dress if you have one you like and feel good in. They do on formal night and it is very special!

Enjoy!!

Thanks Donah,

I think I will go with the long dress.....now just to think about the colour!

Liz

Pia--really enjoying your comments(as I have in the past--Amazon river cruise--a sore point with me--why only one this winter and right at the New year???--we were going to do the b2b next year--guess not--boy did I get off subject!!!). Love your limericks. Wonder what would happen if you just submitted the winning ones again???

What I want to know is the name of the juggler you disliked. Wondered if we saw him last year on a cruise.

Keep entertaining us. Thanks so much.

Advice to ear infected. If you have insurance, it will probably cover your visit to the doctor on ship. I did that last year with a bladder infection and paid up front and then submitted the bill when we got home. Happily they sent a check for the full amount! Good luck.

Dottie

I am sure they had intended to get rid of the juggler in Athens, but since today is the missed port, he's on again tonight. Can't they just hide him somewhere?

Lord I'm laughing so hard I've got tears rolling down my face! :D:D

Barb

Good morning from Starucks in Kusadasi. It is so nice not to be using copy/paste and conserving minutes. To answer some questions, yes, the Crown is right alongside us. We got here very early and the Crown is just now starting to unload their masses. Ours were gone before 8:00. Deb, yes, limericks started again and I won this morning. Will post it at the end. As for yucky juggler, will have to look up name when back on ship.

Meanwhile, it's a lovely sunny day with weather not hot like last week. Perhaps later, but now it's great. Sitting here in Starbucks is just like home and I will soon see if my Starbucks card is good here.

You are not going to believe what is replacing the juggler; and in the theater too. An acrobat! :eek: Yes, tonight's featured presentation is Luis Dalton, an "amazing acrobat, juggler and world record plate spinner." Isn't that what we've always looked forward to seeing? A Plate Spinner! Explorer's will have a comic, Kevin Devane, Fusion will have 50's R and R party and MUTS has Avatar; no 3-D. Our most travelled party will conflict with the Explorer's show. so we'll catch it tomorrow.

BTW. I don't understand this, but for some reason the Powers that Be are having a Men's Hairy Chest competition this afternoon. On Princess? I always thought this was a Carnival thing. You cruise long enough you see everything.

Getting real crowded in here. Starbucks is popular everywhere.

Here's the winner:

Our stop in Athens was not to be,

We got another day at sea.

Captain Draper said,

We'd be cruising instead,

So our next port is Kusadasi.

BTW. I don't understand this, but for some reason the Powers that Be are having a Men's Hairy Chest competition this afternoon. On Princess? I always thought this was a Carnival thing. You cruise long enough you see everything

Please tell me you are joking.:eek:

Not on Princess:eek:

Well if it is ....

theres an end to guys sneaking into the spa...

for a waxing:D

You are not going to believe what is replacing the juggler; and in the theater too. An acrobat! :eek: Yes, tonight's featured presentation is Luis Dalton, an "amazing acrobat, juggler and world record plate spinner." Isn't that what we've always looked forward to seeing? A Plate Spinner!

He was on last week as well! His juggling skills weren't great (he dropped something from each of his routines), but his acrobat skills were brilliant. It wasn't a routine with him flying all over the stage. The routine was him balancing upside down on various objects. We were even more impressed seeing as he does his act on a moving ship. If he slips he could very easily do himself some damage. His core and upper body strength are immense.

This is it for this one. Then Emerald for one week in June and nothing until the biggie in Sept. (see sig line)

Will look forward to hearing about your 'biggie' cruise in September. We really want to do this itinerary (but only one way SF to Sydney) in 2011 if they offer it again. When do you think the itinerary will be advertised for sale:confused:

I really enjoy your posts, especially the limericks - you are really good at them:D

Please tell me you are joking.:eek:

Not on Princess:eek:

Well if it is ....

theres an end to guys sneaking into the spa...

for a waxing:D

David, I too think it's incredulous. Sigh..................

Will look forward to hearing about your 'biggie' cruise in September. We really want to do this itinerary (but only one way SF to Sydney) in 2011 if they offer it again. When do you think the itinerary will be advertised for sale:confused:

I really enjoy your posts, especially the limericks - you are really good at them:D

I think CC people know these things before the on board future consultants, since she told me 4 weeks ago that Nov of '11 would be released at end of April and it's not so. We're waiting for the Ocean itinerary from Singapore. Already booked on the Rome to Singapore; just want to see where it goes afterwards. I suspect Shanghai.

I think CC people know these things before the on board future consultants, since she told me 4 weeks ago that Nov of '11 would be released at end of April and it's not so. We're waiting for the Ocean itinerary from Singapore. Already booked on the Rome to Singapore; just want to see where it goes afterwards. I suspect Shanghai.

That's very true about CC knowing before Princess consultants.

I saw that the Alaska 2011 cruises were now out and I believe they use one of those ships at the end of the Alaska season to do the SF to Sydney/return. Your cruise has been advertised in the UK for the past couple of months with quite a few travel agents. As a last resort, I will have to wait until around March 2011 and see if the 2011 trip is being advertised. If we cannot see it then, we will try and jump on the Dawn Princess world cruise sector going from Dover (England) to Sydney - would really love to see SF though and the wc sector is a bit long for us.

Hope you enjoy Kusadi. I 'm looking forward to 17 July and boarding Golden for our Alaska cruise:D

I checked it out and it look wonderful. Of course, I honestly thought this one was a "big" one. Enjoy.

Marilee

Pia,

Luis Dalton was on last week. Lew and I didn't subject you and Mike to going to that one, and neither did we.

Last week there was also a sexy knee contest (for men). Skipped that one as well.Couldn't believe it when I saw that in the Patters. Is the Cruise Director James a possible Carnival wannabe?

Gloria:D

Pia,

Luis Dalton was on last week. Lew and I didn't subject you and Mike to going to that one, and neither did we.

Last week there was also a sexy knee contest (for men). Skipped that one as well.Couldn't believe it when I saw that in the Patters. Is the Cruise Director James a possible Carnival wannabe?

Gloria:D

They do the sexy leg contest on almost all the cruises we have taken :rolleyes:

I'll be interested to hear if you can use your Starbucks card there, Pia. I always check with Starbucks before I go overseas to see if I can use my card. You can use it in several countries and it's very handy because you don't have to worry about carrying foreign currency. It's useful not only for getting good coffee but also for lunches.

I'll be interested to hear if you can use your Starbucks card there, Pia. I always check with Starbucks before I go overseas to see if I can use my card. You can use it in several countries and it's very handy because you don't have to worry about carrying foreign currency. It's useful not only for getting good coffee but also for lunches.

Or, alternatively, you can leave Starbucks and check out the site of the Temple of Artemis, one of the wonders of the ancient world. But Starbucks is pretty cool too.

Good Evening.........just thought I'd drop in for a quick hello. Tonight's most travelled cocktail party was identical to the one last week, so I had those yummy shrimp again. Two margueritas, seven jumbo shrimp and that was dinner. I'll just make some coffee in a little while, read a bit and turn in early.

Poor DH has gotten himself a dry cough, most likely from the enclosed space and constant A/C. No other symptomatology, so he is using cough drops, Nyquil and hot tea. His mission tomorrow is to search for a stronger cough suppressant in Istanbul. Some people go shopping, others go to see sights. We look for pharmacies. ;)

HKM: Couldn't use the card. Used Visa instead.

Soxfan: Now why would I want to see Artemis when I could spend two hours at Starbucks? :confused: (Been there; done that. Twice.)

Happy Saturday from a very foggy Istanbul. Looks like rain, though none was forecast. Everyone was hurrying and scurrying to get off and I had the gym all to myself. Even Mike didn't go. He slept in until I returned and says he feels much better. I don't hear any coughing, so I hope whatever it was has gone.

We received a departure notice last night regarding disembarkation transport. Eight days to go and already they're telling you to get off. Anyway, the charge to get to the top of the Ramblas (Plaza Catalunya) is $19/PP and $24/PP to the airport. Since a taxi to the airport should cost about 30 euros which we probably won't have, we'll be doing Princess bus and let the charges go on the account. We have enough OBC to pay for it and then some.

They are bringing back Broadway Ballroom tonight for one 7:00 PM performance and later in the theater will be the comic Kevin Devane. Explorer's will have the Marriage Game, Fusion is doing So you Wanna be a Rock Star? and MUTS is showing The Blind Side.

Winning limerick du jour:

Kusadasi is the place to be,

If it's Ephesus you want to see.

Since it's all outside,

Just hire a guide,

To lead you thru history.

Archived