LIVE from the Ruby Princess - VENICE to BARCELONA; May 17th to May 29th

Pia1913

Good day from busy, busy Venice and the beaurtiful Ruby Princess. Our ship arrived yesterday around noon and was supposed to leave tomorrow at 8:00. We are now scheduled to depart tomorrow at 10:00 PM and will be skipping the May 20th stop in Athens due to political unrest. Currently in port with us is a Portuguese ship (formerly Carnival) Grand Celebration. Costa Fortuna and MSC Armonia.

We were so disappointed this morning because our fabulous room steward has been transferred to another deck. He had become like one of the family (the one that cleans ;)), but he told me we would be getting a great guy. We'll see.

So, we went out and walked all the way back across umpteen bridges to the jewish ghetto. Very interesting. Saw and visited synagogues from the 16th century. We walked our feet off as usual and since it's now past 2:00 time for some lunch. Will check in later when I get a Patter and find out what's going on.

Hi Pia...

Some one told me Venice has 110 bridges...Well, I KNOW I walked over

220 :eek: during my 2007 visit..Enjoy your extra day and I'll look forward to your daily update..

Carol

OK. I'm back. I think better on a full (yummy chicken salad and grilled veggies from the IC) stomach and a double shot Americano; black. :D

Since the ship will be in port until late tomorrow night, there will just be a repeat of the same nothing as last night. Princess theater has a Venice chamber music orchestra, which will also be shown live on MUTS. Explorer's has Big Band music and Fusion will do karaoke.

For those who may not know our stop in Athens scheduled for 5/20 has been cancelled. That means we will have two sea days in a row once we leave Venice, with our first port being Kusadasi on Friday 5/21.

Unless there's something major happening, I most likely won't be checking in again until tomorrow AM. BTW, I'm still using some leftover minutes. Doesn't always happen, but this time they didn't shut me down. These little things make me very happy. :)

Sorry you will be missing Athens, but I guess you don't have much of a choice:o Have a wonderful final leg of your cruise:)

After roasting there on the 14th, I'm not sorry at all. I am sorry for the passengers on this cruise who were looking forward to their Athens visit.

I can't think of a better city to be stuck in... :D

When I did the grand mediterranean with Princess a few years ago, we had a propulsion issue and were slow making it to Athens. Our day long tour wasn't possible, so we ended up with a ride to Cape Sounion (I'm sure I'm butchering the spelling) to the Temple of Poseidon. It was fun, but I would have happily traded that for another day in Venice. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Pia, thanks again for doing this and when you get a chance, please remember to list the two nights scheduled as formal nights. I am still debating whether to bring the tux or just hit the specialty restaurnats in sports jacket on those nights.

Also, did you book a tour of the synagogues in the Jewish Ghetto or just walk in?

Thanks,

Len

Have enjoyed your posts so much. We are looking at the 28-day repositioning cruise in the fall, and your posts just confirm for me how much I love being in that part of the world. Keep up the good work and do enjoy your extra time in Venice - one of my all time favorite places.

Pia, thanks again for doing this and when you get a chance, please remember to list the two nights scheduled as formal nights. I am still debating whether to bring the tux or just hit the specialty restaurnats in sports jacket on those nights.

Also, did you book a tour of the synagogues in the Jewish Ghetto or just walk in?

Thanks,

Len

When my DH & I visited the Jewish Ghetto 6 years ago, we did the Princess walking tour. As I recall it wasn't that expensive either. Our knowledgable guide was of the Jewish faith as too my husband was. The history & culture of this middle ages neighborhood was extremely interesting. We did get to go into the synagogues and they have remained almost the same as when once built.

I believe we toured 2 synagogues. The gift shops in the temples were wonderful. We bought for our grandson's Bar Mitzvah a darling small Murano glass replica of an old Rabbi with his long beard, wide brim hat, prayer Tallit & scrolls. Matthew adored this gift & still proudly displays it in his bedroom & soon it will be in his college dorm.

I'm sure Pia can give more info about her recent tour. If you've toured much of Venice, love history & culture - you'll love the locale of this interesting neighborhood. The name "ghetto" is a misnomer.I expected it as I know some of our US ghettos. It is hardly a ghetto as we perceive the name today.

As a Christian I too found this an unforgettable tour & hope you'll appreciate it as much as we did.

Judy

Pia, thanks again for taking the time to keep us up to date. I must tell you that I always appreciate the information you provide and I have benefited from your "pearls of wisdom." Besides, you are very articulate and a great speller. Were you a teacher in your former life?

Tuesday morning in Venice; a beautiful sunny day. No other ships have appeared, though the Grand Celebration is still with us. Amazingly, both of the others departed yesterday afternoon. Armonia left at 4:30 and Forruna at 5:00. Those passengers sure had a short stay in Venice.

Since this is the unexpected day, norhing much happening on the ship. Even the Wake Show didn't show this morning. I guess James and Eric got a day off. The Coco Chanel movie is at 2:00, so maybe we'll check that out. Tonight's entertainment too is pretty sparse with Explorer's just having a band, Fusion with DJ and karaoke and MUTS - Did you Hear About the Morgans? The theater will do their usual welcome aboard show and unfortunately they didn't leave the "comedic juggler" behind on the last cruise. YUK! :(

We sail ar 10:00 PM.

ANSWERS:

1. Princess does not offer tour of jewish quarter. For tour of 3 synagogues and museum you pay at the door; 8.50 euros. It's not wonderful, just different.

2. The formal nights are 5/19 (the day before scheduled Athens) and May 24th the day after Mykonos.

3. Teacher? H*** NO! LOL. But I was an English major. :D

Archived