Rotterdam changes-the good, the bad, the ugly

seattlejoe

I have been on 6 Holland America cruises and have enjoyed every single one. But it seems this time on the m/s Rotterdam I have noticed the recent changes that have taken place on board. Changes like: the new shallow wading pool in the back, the new bar "Mix", and also the ever popular Lanai staterooms.

Let me start off with the new aft pool arrangement and Retreat. It’s a mess. But it is deceiving. At first you get out there and you think it is going to be a wonderful new area to hang out. And a great new place to just relax and sit; with the new large screen and the Retreat bar. But if you examine it, you will realize that it will not work. The pool is now about 6 inches deep with the chairs in it. And it has been enlarged so much that there are barely any deck chairs available outside the "pool". So this leaves the other 1,200 people with less chairs and only 1 swimming pool use, which now will be over crowded. When you go to Alaska the last thing you want to do is lay outside in the freezing cold with some water splashing on you. People want to be inside! Or even outside but actually wearing clothes. When they actually had a pool there people would actually enjoy it because their body was immersed under warm water, now it will be very cold. And in the Caribbean the water will get so warm you won’t be able to stand it, if you have ever had a pool you will know how fast 6 inches can warm up. But I am sure there are a few people out there who praise the new "pool" arrangement. But for me and others as well, we would agree HAL did not fully think this one threw.

Mix is actually a change I love. It opens up the space on deck 4 and really makes it feel like you are in a modern bar area. The only problem I see is that the piano bar and Mix's band area are so close together! If you have the Piano going the same time someone is trying to play guitar or sing you may have a problem. But I guess its wonderful for those multi-taskers out there who want to here both at the same time.

Lastly I will comment on the Lanai. The staterooms are Beautiful. The whole idea of waking up and being able to step out to the Promenade deck is just wonderful! exept for one tiny thing HAL did not realize. The deck chairs outside of each Lanai stateroom are reserved for that stateroom only. So what happen when one day you go out side and there is someone lying in your chair trying to enjoy a book? Now you have a problem. The promenade deck used to be a place where you could lie down and relax and look out on the sea. Now there are only a few chairs that are not used by Lanai cabins. My question is: Why do they have to be reserved? If you have the whole entire promenade deck why do you need those two exact chairs? I also have never seen all the chairs being used at one time before. If they were not reserved then everyone would get a chance to enjoy this deck! And you are taking away the possibility of someone getting upset because someone else is in their chair. But I do have to admit the Lanai's are wonderful.

So as you can see HAL has changes some things that don’t quite make much sense. But it’s good they have only done this on two ships. I doubt they will continue some of these things on to the rest of their fleet. Saying that, the Rotterdam is an AMAZING vessel and is really a world away from some of the larger ships of today. No matter what you find on the m/s Rotterdam you are sure to have the trip of a life time. And if you have never sailed HAL before and my review has made you think twice, then think again because Holland America is really one of the best cruise lines today.

seattlejoe - your observation are (sadly) what we expected from the mutilation (er, "improvements") to the Rotterdam. The 'Mix' doesn't sound enticing enough for us to put up with the lack of desirable deck chairs. Thankfully HAL still has plenty of other ships for us to choose.

seattlejoe - your observation are (sadly) what we expected from the mutilation (er, "improvements") to the Rotterdam. The 'Mix' doesn't sound enticing enough for us to put up with the lack of desirable deck chairs. Thankfully HAL still has plenty of other ships for us to choose.

Holland America has always been trying to make changes to it's ships, trying to "keep up with the times". But honestly isnt the thing we love most about HAL that it brings us back to the days of traditional crusing? I ask HAL; why fix something that is'nt broken?

Thanks for the review, seattlejoe! Sorry you didn't enjoy The Retreat that much - I truly found it to be one of the neatest innovations onboard.

I certainly agree with your assessment though that HAL is one of the best cruise lines around.

Thanks for the review, seattlejoe! Sorry you didn't enjoy The Retreat that much - I truly found it to be one of the neatest innovations onboard.

I certainly agree with your assessment though that HAL is one of the best cruise lines around.

I am really happy to here that it is appreciated. The best part of cruising is that everyone has certain things they love. The thing about the retreat is that with some minor changes it can be loved by almost everyone. And really do agree that it is an amazing innovation. Just needs some tweaking. :)

We found the retreat area unusable due to the fact that it is one of the only areas for smokers. Pool is not usable the old one better. And HAL has decided not to "upgrade" the Maasdam etc due to negative feedback.

Eileen

We found the retreat area unusable due to the fact that it is one of the only areas for smokers. Pool is not usable the old one better. And HAL has decided not to "upgrade" the Maasdam etc due to negative feedback.

Eileen

I am glad a HAL is listening to its followers and not continuing on doing things that people don't want even after multiple negative comments like many cruise lines do.

Here's a recent blog that has some information and photos of the Retreat area, the Mix and the Lanai cabins from the Rotterdam: http://fromthedeckchair.blogspot.com/2010/05/focus-onthe-rotterdam-part-1.html

Thanks for linking that up, adding a more positive review to it. And I forgot to mention the large LCD screen was a great addition.

We have booked a Holy Land cruise on the Rotterdam, in 2012. Have a OV cabin, figured we would enjoy the deck chairs on the main deck. This has been a favorite area for us in the past.

Suspect many folks will be taking day long tours, so hopefully we will be able to find a deck chair. We have booked the cruise because we want to visit some friends in Israel, cruise spends 3 days in Israel, we actually have been to all of the ports before on two prior cruises. So we will see, the ship is as much a destination for us and the ports.

If the prices come down we my upgrade.

Thanks for the information on the changes to the Rotterdam.

We have booked a Holy Land cruise on the Rotterdam, in 2012. Have a OV cabin, figured we would enjoy the deck chairs on the main deck. This has been a favorite area for us in the past.

Suspect many folks will be taking day long tours, so hopefully we will be able to find a deck chair. We have booked the cruise because we want to visit some friends in Israel, cruise spends 3 days in Israel, we actually have been to all of the ports before on two prior cruises. So we will see, the ship is as much a destination for us and the ports.

There's still many, many deck chairs available on the promenade deck - only ones directly outside the Lanai staterooms (and marked as such) are reserved for their use.

I'm sure you will have a lot of fun! That cruise sounds great! And you will find a lot to do onboard when you are just hanging out, the ship offers so much.

Have a OV cabin, figured we would enjoy the deck chairs on the main deck. This has been a favorite area for us in the past.

You will have chairs to choose from, but be aware that if the promenade deck is popular on your cruise you get a seat in the spot you want. Since there are less of them, the ones in the sun will be sure to be taken first.

I just noticed that the link I posted is to your cruising blog...I just discovered it yesterday and spent several hours reading it. Very well written and great photos. My compliments. I'm sure I'll be a regular reader now that I have found it!

Eileen

Have they done anything to Maasdam like replacing sheets & towels. I understand that all staterooms now have flat screen TV's? You can not tell from the web site.

Eileen

Hi Eileen:

I agree with you concerning the Retreat. In addition the wonderful movie screen that has been erected above the Retreat is rarely used to show movies. I believe there were three movies at the Retreat at night on our 33 day cruise.

Less than two months from our next great adventure aboard the Maas "Retreatless" dam !

Rick

Here's a recent blog that has some information and photos of the Retreat area, the Mix and the Lanai cabins from the Rotterdam: http://fromthedeckchair.blogspot.com/2010/05/focus-onthe-rotterdam-part-1.html

Thank you. Very interesting.

We are sailing on the Rotterdam in July. I am very excited to see and experience the recent ship's upgrades.

Other than the Veendam & Rotterdam, what other HAL ships have had or will be having the "Retreat" added to the ships?:confused:
If they don't change their minds, Statendam, Maasdam, and Ryndam will have in the next 2 years.

There's still many, many deck chairs available on the promenade deck - only ones directly outside the Lanai staterooms (and marked as such) are reserved for their use.

"Many, many deck chairs available" WRONG! Just came off 33-day Rotterdam cruise and the only time you will find a promenade deck chair that is NOT RESERVED or WITH AN UNOBSTRUCTED VIEW is if you stay onboard on the port days. Believe me, I know of what I speak!! :mad:

You will have chairs to choose from, but be aware that if the promenade deck is popular on your cruise you get a seat in the spot you want. Since there are less of them, the ones in the sun will be sure to be taken first.

On our Rotterdam cruise in January, the majority of promenade deck chairs that were for public use faced a white steel wall. When sitting in them you could not see the water. The prime location deck chairs (with a view) now belong to the passengers in the Lanai cabins. This is one reason we will no longer cruise on the Rotterdam or Veendam (or any other HAL ship that undergoes this change.)

Archived