Ryndam 8/8/10 RAIN!

Rapunsel

HELP! 1st Alaskan cruise... It is supposed to rain the entire trip.. Has anyone done this in the rain. We are 4 adults and 2 kids!

We have 2 shore excursions... 1 in Juneau and one in Ketchikan.

Any help would be great!

We went a few years ago on the last cruise in Sept and it rained half of the time..but it was still fun and great. Even the excursions! And it usually is not a heavy and constant rain. So do not check the forecast..

take layers and enjoy!

We cruised the last week of August -- first week of September -- back-to-back cruises and we had a lot of rain.

We have rain gear so we were all prepared. We also wear waterproof shoes.

One thing I suggest -- we don't any -- do not wear jeans as they are harder to dry out than regular cotton clothing.

The Ryndam does have dryers -- but you don't want to spend all your time there drying clothes.

All you can do is go with it....living in Seattle if we didn't do anything in the rain we wouldn't do anything. We went up the coast to Alaska last year and experienced the same kind of rain we have here. You will have a great time, the folks doing the tours know how to handle the rain.

If the kids (or even the adults for that matter) have duck shoes (some folks call them garden shoes), you may want to pack them.

Welcome to the Pacific NW and beyond.

HELP! 1st Alaskan cruise... It is supposed to rain the entire trip.. Has anyone done this in the rain. We are 4 adults and 2 kids!

We have 2 shore excursions... 1 in Juneau and one in Ketchikan.

Any help would be great!

Rain or shine, Alaska is a great place to be.

A few years ago we had the same forecast: rain in every port. Guess what? We never saw a drop of rain. You just never know. Don't worry and have a great cruise!

Take a rain poncho, or buy one in port.

Bring good quality rain ponchos for everyone and "duck boots", and you'll be fine. After all, you're still on vacation!

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Ditto what her Honor said! She knows, because she lives on the frozen tundra;)

Alaska is a great place, but it does tend to rain there year round. That's why everything is so green over there! Buy some ponchos, bring umbrellas, something to cover your noggin, hoodies and some good water-proof hiking shoes and you'll be fine! Oh yeah, do wear jeans! Alaska is jean country!;)

Have a great time and enjoy God's country up there!

Rain gear for the outdoors, but don't worry - there's lots to do indoors, for everyone! Swimming pool is heated, so you can even swim in the rain. You will still have one of the best vacations ever.

Despite Copper's advice, don't take umbrellas. You end up being a hazard to yourself and others on the sidewalks. Wear a good rainproof hooded jacket.

My first cruise to Alaska, we had rain every minute of every day. Every story I tell about that cruise starts with "It was POURING rain when...." :) Still a good trip.

Despite Copper's advice, don't take umbrellas. You end up being a hazard to yourself and others on the sidewalks. Wear a good rainproof hooded jacket.

My first cruise to Alaska, we had rain every minute of every day. Every story I tell about that cruise starts with "It was POURING rain when...." :) Still a good trip.

Brilliant! Caution; umbrella's at work:cool:

Don't even worry about the forecast. It may not even be right! Just be prepared for whatever you get. One day before we cruised I checked the weather for each port and it showed rain every day. Guess what we had sun sun sun! You just never know! Go with what you get and have a great time.

Don't even worry about the forecast. It may not even be right! Just be prepared for whatever you get. One day before we cruised I checked the weather for each port and it showed rain every day. Guess what we had sun sun sun! You just never know! Go with what you get and have a great time.

Judy's right. The day before we left for Alaska in June I checked the weather and, every port, rain for the next week. In eight days we had seven sunny and one cloudy. As everyone says, bring layers.

We took disposable ponchos (another CC suggestion) because then you don't have to dry them every night. They were two-for a buck at the dollar store. We still have all eight we bought:).

You will love your cruise.

Everything is a go unless you are doing something in an airplane. Two trips to Alaska and we have it down pat. Get off that ship!! So our pictures aren't the best but we have seen Mendenhall Glacier, the fudge and soap shops and the church in Juneau and also were able to ride up the tramway before the deluge. We had heavy, icy rain in Denali and then snow the next day! Never did see much of Sitka above very low clouds. Still we had a great time in Alaska!! Plan for the worst and you will be surpised when it doesn't happen!! :D

I grew up in the Seattle-Tacoma area and went to Alaska a number of times. It rains up there....a lot and every once in awhile not so much. You learn to dress in layers, as suggested previously, and have some light rain gear. It so hard to predict the weather that being a weatherman up there must be one of the most frustrating jobs in the world. I lived there 20+ years and still have fond memories...well, not really....of a 4th of July where the high was 52 degrees in Seattle and it rained all day. What I thought was a tan was actually just rust. Anyhow, it can be so incredibly and spectacularly beautiful that I'd not worry about it too much and just hope that it clears.

Rapunsel, one more suggestion to consider: Frogg Toggs DriDucks.

driducks.jpg

These windproof/rainproof pants and hoodie 2 piece sets weigh almost nothing, are pretty sturdy yet disposable, come in a plastic envelope small enough to put in your purse (or sets for all of you in a backpack with lots of room for everything else). Under $20 on eBay...you might find them at Bass Pro Shops, or another outdoor store?

I carried my set with me for 2 weeks in Alaska last year, and they worked better than an umbrella: no rain :eek: (I did however use the jacket for scenic cruising day at Hubbard Glacier, and it worked great to block cold and wind.)

Archived