Air Fare from Ohio & Last Minute Cruise Deals

rpouls

OK - I live in Ohio, and typically book my cruise at least 1 year in advance; as I need to make sure I can get a fair deal on my air fare, plus get flights going in and out of the port.

I usually fly in and out of Miami - which I guess is very popular??!

Anyway, I've been looking at the last-minute cruise 'deals' and I'm wondering if anyone (who must fly into a departing port) has booked a cruise at the last minute and had difficulty getting flights.

This is one of the main reasons I book my cruise so far in advance.

Should I perhaps be looking at flying into Ft. Lauderdale?

All comments and suggestions are welcome - thanks!

OK - I live in Ohio, and typically book my cruise at least 1 year in advance; as I need to make sure I can get a fair deal on my air fare, plus get flights going in and out of the port.

Anyway, I've been looking at the last-minute cruise 'deals' and I'm wondering if anyone (who must fly into a departing port) has booked a cruise at the last minute and had difficulty getting flights.

You can look at FLL or look into flying out of various airports in Ohio.

When you say difficulty...do you mean with price or availability? I always fly in a day before and leave a day after and have always been able to find flights.

If you are flying out of a small airport you could have some problems as the flights start to fill to capacity.

I would book everything separate. Unless you get a discount, you are probably better off booking the cruise with the cruiseline and using that site for a hotel. We booked our hotel in Miami from them. Wish us luck its a good experience this fall.

OK - I live in Ohio,

What part of Ohio? It makes a big difference. If you are near Cinci, air deals are not as prevalent as say...Columbus. Many people drive to Louisville from the Cinci area as airfare from SDF is often better than CVG.

Southeastern Ohio has a choice of Columbus or Huntington, WV. Both have low cost carriers which tend to make for lower airfares.

Flying into FLL is often cheaper than MIA. But if you are sailing from Miami, you have to factor in a $15. shuttle ride (each way) from the FLL airport.

I too live in Ohio and I request to be on the local airports email specials list. I receive news from CAK and PIT although I haven't tried CLE. You can keep abreast of specials or ask your TA to keep an eye out for you for both specials and flights. Always fly in a day ahead and check for specials or pricing changes on Tuesday nights about 11 pm. Don't know why but works for me. :)

You may get a great deal on a cruise at last minute (depending what ytou consider last minute too !).... but the flights will probably be limited if not sold out and/or very pricey.....then the hotel issue may be another topic if flying in a day early regardless if you fly into FLL or MIA.

your best bet is to fly fort lauderdale. i would also check air trans schedules and fares.they fly out of dayton pit cak and cbus. i would also check southwest airlines (columbus pit and cle). sometimes i fly in with one airline and out with other so do your homework

i dont know what part of ohio you are in but there are some airports and airlines that are always cheaper. (pit with southwest and airtran and same with columbus both come to mind)

I would book everything separate. Unless you get a discount, you are probably better off booking the cruise with the cruiseline and using that site for a hotel. We booked our hotel in Miami from them. Wish us luck its a good experience this fall.

Where did you buy your hotel from? Did I see you are staying at the Intercontinental?

Bill

I have been checking on flights for our cruise in February on a Saturday. At this time, if we leave on Friday, it costs $477 pp. If we leave on Thursday, the cost is $365 pp. That more than makes up for the extra days stay at a hotel. Try pricing for days before or days after the cruise. They usually are cheaper.

You won't have any difficulty booking flights, it's just paying for them that might be a problem. It's a crap shoot. Just like cruises, sometimes flights get cheaper sometimes more expensive. Ft. Lauderdale is a good option and it's closer to MIA than you think. Why not go online and check flight costs for say next week, should at least give you some kind of idea.

Where did you buy your hotel from? Did I see you are staying at the Intercontinental?

Bill

There is a whole thread now under Florida of folks who all used lastminute something, We got it for one night, then we are on a cruise, then we got it for in between, and then we board another ship, this Oct and Nov.

Its been going for $84 for pretty much everyone. Some had to wait for confirmation up to 24 hours. $96 with fees and taxes a night.

I actually saw the site posted up here on Carnival first.

I've booked one cruise 7 months in advance. Most of them are booked less than 90 days before the cruise. My record is Europe and that was 2 1/2 weeks in advance. :) What I do is look for airfare the minute I find a good deal. If I can't find the right price, I don't book the cruise. I'd say if you find airfare for under $300 into MIA or FLL you have done a good job. It's never cheap to fly there.

There is a whole thread now under Florida of folks who all used lastminute something, We got it for one night, then we are on a cruise, then we got it for in between, and then we board another ship, this Oct and Nov.

Its been going for $84 for pretty much everyone. Some had to wait for confirmation up to 24 hours. $96 with fees and taxes a night.

I actually saw the site posted up here on Carnival first.

Fire,

OK thanks. I used them too for the Intercontinental for exactly what you paid.

I was thinking it might be another place. Doesn't hurt to have many resources to check for low rates.

I was booked at the Marriott Marina but cancelled and switched to the Intercontinental so we could walk to Bayside.

Thanks again

Bill

I'm from Northwest Ohio and we have many options to fly out of. But I haven't found any last minutes deals at all. I have an airport that is 45mins away but it's not a large one but a mid size and it cost $50 to $100 more than the mainstream airports. I have gone out of Dayton, Columbus, and Indianapolis and it just depends who has the best rate. On our cruise this coming January we got our rate for $195 pp:D which is unheard of in Columbus. so trying to get a good deal will take some times and looking at the sites all the time or you can get on a site that watches these for you but for last minute I don't know!!!!

I have yet to find it cheaper to fly into Miami then Ft Lauderdale. We always fly into Lauderdale for our Miami cruises for this reason. We also usually book our cruises about a month out and get decent airfare. We always look for a cruise we want and check airfare immidiately. If you find good airfare book that and then go back and book the cruise.

CMH to FLL is pretty much our standard route via Southwest

MCO and TPA are alos favorites as they provide direct flights, but if your cruise doesnt leave from Tampa or Canaveral or you have a lot of friends down there...transportation becomes an issue.

I have done a bunch of last minute cruises and I can't recall ever not being able to get a flight there. However, the cost of the air fare has made the difference between booking the cruise or not. What I normally do is search for a cruise and after I find a cruise, I go and search for a flight. If I find a resonable flight than I call my PVP and book the cruise. While I'm still on the phone with my PVP, I book the airfare on-line. Like someone else mentioned, when I'm leaving out of Miami, I check the prices for both FLL and Miami airports.

I'm from Northwest Ohio and we have many options to fly out of. But I haven't found any last minutes deals at all. I have an airport that is 45mins away but it's not a large one but a mid size and it cost $50 to $100 more than the mainstream airports. I have gone out of Dayton, Columbus, and Indianapolis and it just depends who has the best rate. On our cruise this coming January we got our rate for $195 pp:D which is unheard of in Columbus. so trying to get a good deal will take some times and looking at the sites all the time or you can get on a site that watches these for you but for last minute I don't know!!!!

Try airfares from Detroit as well (depending on where you are in the NW area). There are usually great deals from that airport as well.

I live in north central OH. I check fares from CLE, CAK, and CMH. I booked a DIRECT flight from CMH to FLL for $190/person a couple months ago. This is for our 9/20 cruise flying down on 9/19. I found this flight and JUMPED on it! Well, 3 weeks later they (Air Tran) had a schedule change and no more direct. Thats the reason i booked it. CAK is closer so i switched to CAK and could have switched to MIA as well for the same price due to the schedule change, but alredy had my hotel booked in FLL and Hotels in Miami were more $$. So we stayed with FLL. But im really happy being able to fly out of CAK to FLL for sub $200! So, definately check around. Sign up for Kayak notices or something similar and keep an eye on prices and watch what the do.

I am orginally from Ohio...live in Miami and ALWAYS fly out of Ft. Lauderdale when traveling home. What city do you live in, I actually fly DIRECT from FLL to Huntington, WV on Allegiant, they also fly to several cities in Ohio...limited flight schedule but GREAT prices.

Central Ohio girl here too... and I am choking on the prices for March 2011 ! I am hoping they come down...would really hate to drive. We flew out of Dayton one year on Airtran...and if we had waited longer... the rates out of Columbus matched closer to the flight. BUT...I am not a patient person ;)

Jen

I live exactly between the airports in Cincinnati and Dayton. We flew out of CVG last April to JAX on Delta for $138pp (booked a month prior,) from CVG to Miami on Delta last October for less than $200pp (booked two weeks prior), from DAY to Tampa on AirTran in April for $170 pp (booked two months ahead) - I always check airfare before I book the cruise. I also get weekly e-mails for weekend specials - that way I know which routes might have a better chance of being less full, and therefore a better deal when I want to fly.

good luck!

Wow..I've been checking the flights and the fare is still in the $400.00 area. I sure hope this drops!!!

Fares for late November CLE to FLL just dropped from 380 to 220 (MIA dropped to 235, if that's your game). Also, use Yapta to keep an eye on the prices of the flights you're interested in. You select the flights to track, and they'll keep emailing you prices for those flights.

Depending what kind of traveler you are, besides Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, there is also West Palm Beach. Most all car rentals have no drop fees between any of the areas, and TriRail, is a fantastic- Cheap transfer option to also consider. :)

Archived