Massadam cruise church services Oct 24&31, 2010

We'll be at sea two Sundays on the HA Massadam cruise to the South Eastern Carribean October 24th and 31st. My wife and I are Christians. We plan to find a quiet place aboard ship to hold worship services. We will read Bible passages, sing hymns from books we'll bring, thank God in prayer for the beautiful things we'll see and have communion.

All fellow cruisers and ship's staff members are invited to join us. We plan very simple services. No preaching. Just straight bible stuff. We'll read passages about God and the sea. The Bible is full of great stories about the sea, it's creatures and sea adventures (Noah, Jonah, Jesus on the Sea of Galilee, Paul's shipwreck) and how God knows even the greatest depths of the sea (Psalms and Job).

If you don't believe in God, are Jewish, Muslim or anything else you are welcome as long as you respect our right to worship God in peace. He is a God of peace. People just mess it up a lot.

Respond if you are interested in joining us at insmac@yahoo.com. We'll ask that the ship post an announcement on the Television in each room on Saturday. Response isn't required. We'll find some way to let you know where and when we'll meet. The Massadam has a good library. Our default location will be the Library at 11 AM ships time if religious announcements are not allowed.

The Massadam has a good library. Our default location will be the Library at 11 AM ships time if religious announcements are not allowed.

That's probably not the best place to hold your services. The Explorations Cafe (which is where the library is) includes the Internet Center. It's a busy place with a lot of comings and goings. It's a lot like the ship's "Family Room".

I suggest you take this up with the Cruise Director once you are on the ship for best planning.

I have to agree with Ruth -- the library is an open area with computers and all is part of the Explorations Cafe. There is quite a bit of traffic through here as the Coffee area opens at 7 AM.

You might ask about using either the Half Moon Room or the Hudson Room. This needs to be arranged before you get on the ship.

I'm confused. Doesn't the ship offer Sunday services? Why would anyone need to publicly hold their own? Why would anyone want to conduct their own anyplace other than in the privacy of their personal cabin? I must be missing something here.

Have you done this before on previous cruises, HAL or other lines, and where on the ship? I definetely agree with KK and RuthC that the Explorations Cafe/Library would not work, either for your group or for other pax using the area, and I don't think it would be allowed. Call HAL now to arrange a private room like the Half Moon or Hudson rooms. The ship does hold Sunday services. Why would attending those not work?

I, too, agree with Ruth. I was on the Noordam transatlantic last Fall, and we had a group of about 40 people from a church in Miami sailing with us. HAL allowed them to use one of the rooms (since it was early morning when these lovely folks met, prayed and sang, I think they were in the room used by the bridge players later in the morning). Although we could hear some of their prayer service as we passed by the room, they had their privacy and did not intrude on other passengers' privacy and quiet enjoyment, if that is what the other passengers hoped for. They were welcoming to anyone who wanted to join them in the meeting room, but were respectful of people who did not choose to. They should call HAL and work something out before they board the Maasdam IMHO.

The bottom line is; you have to contact Holland America prior to sailing and make arrangements to have any type of organized function. For those of us that have organized Meet & Greets for our Roll Call groups we have to call and make reservations prior to sailing.

Holland America is very accommodating so give them a call.

Since you don't want to participate in any Church Servie on board, a good quiet place to get togther to pray and bible read with friends might be at the back end of the crows nest on the Port Side of the Ship.

Sorry to be reacting so seemingly negatively toward this proposal but I guess the older I get the less understanding I become of others who seem to need to very publicly express what I consider to be personal preferences, opinions, beliefs, etc. Perhaps I'm just too introverted to be able to understand the extremely extroverted. Different strokes, eh?

Audible bible readings and singing hymns in Explorations Cafe (Library and Internet Center) would not be appropriate IMO It is sure to be a disturbance to others who are pursuing other activities for which that center is intended.

Maybe if the show lounge is not in use, you could gather your small group there.

If you don't want to take part in the organized services which HAL has every Sunday, I would suggest that you contact:

Karla Camp, the On-board Events Coordinator for the Maasdam in Seattle...You should do this about 5 weks before departure to arrange a suitable place for your Prayer meeting..At that time you will have to give her an approx number of people who will join you...Miss Camp's e-mail is:

KCAmp@hollandamerica.com

She will contact the ship for you & get back to you with an answer within a week..

Agree with others who have said the Library/Explorations café is not the appropriate place for you to hold these services..Holding your prayer meeting in a public area such as the Library could be a disruption to others, who are not of your faith & would like to sit, read, use the computer, enjoy morning coffee etc. & not be disturbed by hymn singing..

Also this main HAL board is actually not the place to find people who are cruising with you..You should go to the Maasdam's roll call for these dates & post your message..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1155003

There are many posters on your roll call..

Hope this helps..

Cheers.....:)Betty

[

We'll be at sea two Sundays on the HA Massadam cruise to the South Eastern Carribean October 24th and 31st. My wife and I are Christians. We plan to find a quiet place aboard ship to hold worship services. We will read Bible passages' date=' sing hymns from books we'll bring, thank God in prayer for the beautiful things we'll see and have communion.

All fellow cruisers and ship's staff members are invited to join us. We plan very simple services. No preaching. Just straight bible stuff. We'll read passages about God and the sea. The Bible is full of great stories about the sea, it's creatures and sea adventures (Noah, Jonah, Jesus on the Sea of Galilee, Paul's shipwreck) and how God knows even the greatest depths of the sea (Psalms and Job).

If you don't believe in God, are Jewish, Muslim or anything else you are welcome as long as you respect our right to worship God in peace. He is a God of peace. People just mess it up a lot.

Respond if you are interested in joining us at insmac@yahoo.com. We'll ask that the ship post an announcement on the Television in each room on Saturday. Response isn't required. We'll find some way to let you know where and when we'll meet. The Massadam has a good library. Our default location will be the Library at 11 AM ships time if religious announcements are not allowed.

If you don't want to take part in the organized services which HAL has every Sunday, I would suggest that you contact:

<SNIP>

Also this main HAL board is actually not the place to find people who are cruising with you..You should go to the Maasdam's roll call for these dates & post your message..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1155003

There are many posters on your roll call..

Hope this helps..

Cheers.....:)Betty

[

Just noticed that you have already found the Roll Call for your cruise & you seem to be confused about that board..You asked them where you could find your cruise.. ..All those who posted on that thread, are the ones who are members of Cruise Critic & they will be sailing with you....I doubt you will find any more posters here, on the Main HAL board..Those people on that roll call are planning to have a Meet & Greet in the Crows nest on Sunday morning at 11: A.M. & your service would conflict with their plans..

They asked if you would like to join them at the Meet & Greet, but you must be prepared, depending on what they have requested, from HAL...They may be asking for a "No Host Bar" where some posters might be drinking bloody Mary's or Mamosas..If you are opposed to that get together, I'm afraid you may not find others here on this main HAL board who will be cruising with you...

You've also joined the Roll Call a bit late & if you read through those posts on that Roll Call you may find that many of them have already planned some excursions..

Another thing, if you want to have your prayer service on Sunday morning, it probably should be before the Cruise Critic Meet & Greet at 11 a.m...Actually don't think that HAL will post either on TV or in their Daily program for your prayer meeting, since they already offer Church services on Sunday.. However, don't know if the services are non-denominational.. Understand that HAL is one out of only a few cruise lines which still hire a chaplain to have services most every day..

As mentioned in my previous post, it's best to check with Karla Camp, before you board..We have two Chaplains who are members of Cruise Critic, "Himself" & "Rev. Neal", perhaps they could answer some of your questions about holding services.."Himself" posted above & suggested the Crows Nest, Rev Neal is on a cruise now..

Hope this helps..

Cheers.......:)Betty

This has been brought up in the past and on other lines - I don't believe you will be allowed to hold church services onboard unless you do it in the privacy of your own cabin. HAL (and other cruiselines) do have non-denominational services on Sundays on their ships. They also have Catholic services and may have Jewish or other services. As already said, you will be more than welcome at any of the 'official' onboard religious services - there is no need to hold your own unless you don't want to join in on what's already available.

HAL will not 'advertise' your services for you - either in the Patters or on the cabin tv's. If they did this for you, they would have to do this for every single person/group who want to hold their own event - whether it be for religious reasons or not.

Enjoy your cruise,

Cindiedee

I hope the OP comes back to read the advice that has been given, but I fear that won't happen.

OP posted on the roll-call thread, but made reference to this post, and said (s)he didn't know where it was. Perhaps someone on the roll-call will post the same info.

I hope the OP comes back to read the advice that has been given, but I fear that won't happen.

OP posted on the roll-call thread, but made reference to this post, and said (s)he didn't know where it was. Perhaps someone on the roll-call will post the same info.

He or she was on the Boards this morning. I just checked and saw this: Last Activity: Today 06:44 AM

So maybe they do know now.

Joanie

I'm bringing his thread forward, again only to help the OP find it..He does not seem to know that these boards have many pages...He said on his roll call he could not find this thread..I'm afraid the thread will once again be page 2 or 3 very quickly as the weekends generate more threads..

I was also under the impression that HAL is now only one a a few cruise lines who are actually hiring chaplains & holding services now..There was a big discussion of this quite recently..

Cheers...:)Betty

He said on his roll call he could not find this thread..I'm afraid the thread will once again be page 2 or 3 very quickly as the weekends generate more threads..

It's the board he said he can't find, Betty, not the thread.

So far he hasn't posted again on the roll-call thread, either. Maybe he can't find his way back there, too?

Rather than bumping this thread, perhaps you could just put a link to it in the roll-call. Let him know that there are considerations in his plan.

I did not know services are offered aboard. I traveled with a group on Carnival. We wandered around the ship and found an empty lounge where hw held a short service. We didn't offend anyone and don't plan to on this cruise.

It's likely that we will hold a short service in our room and might observe the ship's service also. Communion (commonly called the Lord's Supper) may not be a part of the ship's service. We travel prepared for that.

I appreciate anyone who takes the time to thank God for his blessings. I appreciate every comment. I look forward to meeting you.

PS: This is my first attempt to use Cruise Critic. Thanks for trying to help a rookie.

We'll be at sea two Sundays on the HA Massadam cruise to the South Eastern Carribean October 24th and 31st. My wife and I are Christians. We plan to find a quiet place aboard ship to hold worship services. We will read Bible passages' date=' sing hymns from books we'll bring, thank God in prayer for the beautiful things we'll see and have communion.

When I was on the Rotterdam recently with "Himself", he led several services. Those services were printed in the daily notifications, the room was set for a religious service, and a member of the crew was there to assist with any other needs (at least prior to the service).

I believe those services were Christian in nature. I am not sure if he offered communion, but I am sure he can give you more details.

I hope that this helps. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.:):)

For the OP:

We are often active members of whatever non-denominational services are offered onboard. It's my understanding that a Catholic priest is always on board and he will, in addition to services for that faith, lead a non-denominational service each Sunday if there is no non-denominational chaplain assigned to that cruise. If the cruise is 10 days or more there should be a non-denominational chaplain on board but for 7-day cruises, the probably isn't unless there is a Christian holiday (Christmas, Holy Week, Easter, etc.) within that sailing period. I don't know what the length of this Maasdam cruise is so I don't know what category it will fall in.

The structure of the Sunday service is, I believe, pretty much the decision of whoever is that week's non-denominational chaplain. Since there is often a Bible Study or short Worship service on sea days during the week, sometimes the chaplain for that cruise has planned the service with the regular attendees of that group and they've taken parts in it. Whether or not communion will be offered at the service is that chaplain's decision as well, I believe; some are comfortable with providing non-denominational communion and others seem to not be.

There are, by the way, hymnals that include appropriate scripture and other worshipful readings that are always available at the non-denominational services. The ship provides these and sometimes the chaplains have provided some printed information (programs) as well.

I don't know anything about the structure of the Catholic services as that is not our faith and we've never attended those.

I hope that is helpful information for the OP.

Archived