Have not seen a question about parking.

Mikiejag

I am leaving from NY on the Jewel and just thought about parking.

Seems to be $30 a day x 8 = $240.

What do people do about this? Just pay it or if not, where do you park to ease this price. Walk further, hotels in the area, or do most just fly in and grab a shuttle?

Sounds like the price for Manhattan parking.

I know there's a cheaper parking lot ($10/day) across the Hudson river at Weehawken, and you could take a NY Waterways ferry across the river to the midtown terminal near the Intrepid. Probalby not attractive if you'll have more luggage than you can comfortably lug.

We're sailing from Brooklyn where the parking is $20 after the first day. I looked at the price to drive to newark airport, park(we're coming in from PA) and take a shuttle and it works out close enough to make the lower hassle of parking at the pier worth the cost.

The convenience of parking right at the Hudson River port terminal is almost worth the money (you must pay in advance). The parking area is self-park and quite secure and really does not cost more then most of the long-term parking in the neighborhood. You can drop your luggage and then drive up the ramp, pay your fee, and park your car. Then its a short walk to the elevator and down into the terminal building. We are not area of any decent NYC hotels that have a park,stay, cruise option. One of the other posts mentioned parking at a Newark area hotel, but this does not make a lot of sense for cruising out of the Port of NYC.

Hank

I am going across the bridge and staying at a hotel. Only about 5 miles and they have Valet parking for $13 a night.

I can get there early enough and right over the Hudson and there I am.

Problem solved. Until I change my mind again. :)

I am going across the bridge and staying at a hotel. Only about 5 miles and they have Valet parking for $13 a night.

I can get there early enough and right over the Hudson and there I am.

Problem solved. Until I change my mind again. :)

If you change your mind and want to discuss this again, I recommend posting your questions on the East Coast Departures board. This issue is discussed on almost a daily basis on that board, and there are a number of regular posters there who are very knowledgable (not that you've gotten bad information here).

Yes - come to the East Coast Departures board. Parking in NY is real sticker shock for a lot of folks. There are several options depending on the level of hassle you will consider. If you're driving in the same day, then look at Icon in NY or the Weehawken Port Imperial ferry. If you need a hotel and parking, then look at Homewood Suites in Edgewater, NJ. (hotel + free parking + transportation to the ferry).

Brooklyn parking is $23 the first day then $20/day after that. Despite not wanting to pay that much, any other option I've considered (Amtrak into Penn Station + Taxi, Park at EWR/LGA/JFK plus taxi or shuttle, park&stay hotel) comes out close enough to make just driving to the pier worth the $ for less hassle.

Generally it does not make sense to park at the pier. If you live in or close to the city, car service to/from pier would be easier and cheaper. If you live about a hundred miles away, take a train to Penn Station and then taxi. Much further, fly in and taxi from airport.

I disagree, and I live in NJ a bit over an hour's drive from Manhattan and cruise from NY very frequently. Roundtrip car service costs me over $400 including tolls and tip, but parking at the Manhattan cruise terrminal at $30 per day is only about half that, $210, plus tolls and gas. Car services in the NY metro area can be very expensive, just as parking in Manhattan is expensive.

We live in central suffolk county, about an hour's drive from the Queens border. At $20 / day the break-even point for car service vs parking is about a week or so. We also like the idea of the car waiting for us at the end of the cruise.

For a longer trip [looking at a transatlantic round trip] we will look into a car service or imposing on friends / family :-) ]

Public transit [LIRR, the worlds largest toy train set] is so heavily commuter focused it is not a viable option for traveling with luggage [another advantage to drive/park].

I disagree, and I live in NJ a bit over an hour's drive from Manhattan and cruise from NY very frequently. Roundtrip car service costs me over $400 including tolls and tip, but parking at the Manhattan cruise terrminal at $30 per day is only about half that, $210, plus tolls and gas. Car services in the NY metro area can be very expensive, just as parking in Manhattan is expensive.

Have you considered the option of taking a train to New York? Pretty much everywhere in New Jersey about an hour's drive from the city is either on, or close to, a rail line. I have often taken New Haven commuter trains to Grand Central, then taxi to pier. If your closest commuter line does not go into Manhattan, you can taxi from Hoboken.

Have you considered the option of taking a train to New York? Pretty much everywhere in New Jersey about an hour's drive from the city is either on, or close to, a rail line. I have often taken New Haven commuter trains to Grand Central, then taxi to pier. If your closest commuter line does not go into Manhattan, you can taxi from Hoboken.

I'm a native of NY City, and have lived about half my life (and I'm over 60, so I've been around for a while) in the city and half in the suburbs. I have a pretty good idea of what the transportation options are, thank you. I've been cruising from NY for more than 20 years, so I know how to get to the pier.

I have no interest in dragging my luggage onto trains, subways, or buses. Parking at our nearest NJ Transit/Amtrak station is very tight to often unavailable to those without a monthly permit, and isn't very secure to boot...cars seem to get vandalized fairly frequently...and this is in a well-to-do suburban town. Parking at the pier in NY is a heck of a lot more secure, and a lot more convenient.

So now you've been wrong about the price comparison of a car service to parking at the pier, and the ease of taking a train from my area. Any more suggestions? :rolleyes:

Have you considered the option of taking a train to New York? Pretty much everywhere in New Jersey about an hour's drive from the city is either on, or close to, a rail line.
I can take Amtrak from Lancaster, PA to NY Penn, but two tickets is $160. Add in parking at LNS, taxi from Penn and having to lug luggage, and I might as well just drive to the pier. I can take a NJ transit train from Philly to NYC to save on train fare but I'm pretty sure that adds a transfer in Trenton.

I'm a native of NY City, and have lived about half my life (and I'm over 60, so I've been around for a while) in the city and half in the suburbs. I have a pretty good idea of what the transportation options are, thank you. I've been cruising from NY for more than 20 years, so I know how to get to the pier.

I have no interest in dragging my luggage onto trains, subways, or buses. Parking at our nearest NJ Transit/Amtrak station is very tight to often unavailable to those without a monthly permit, and isn't very secure to boot...cars seem to get vandalized fairly frequently...and this is in a well-to-do suburban town. Parking at the pier in NY is a heck of a lot more secure, and a lot more convenient.

So now you've been wrong about the price comparison of a car service to parking at the pier, and the ease of taking a train from my area. Any more suggestions? :rolleyes:

Why not take a taxi to your local station? Or are you concerned about leaving your car parked at home? By all means, drive if you do not like public transportation. I was simply suggesting alternatives to driving to the pier.

So, chill out.

Archived