New Document Wallet

Silver Spectre

As departure day approaches, the delicious anticipation of receiving one's tickets and documents rises.

The postman arrives, the silver box is here at last.

It is opened and oh woe, what is this nasty, maroon, piece of cheap plastic that is inside.

Its the new document wallet and the even nastier maroon plastic luggage tags.

Thank goodness that I still have some of the originals left.

It might be wise to refrain from making suggestions regarding possible further cost savings. Someone at SS may be monitoring this board and get ideas.

More seriously, I could not care less about the document wallet. I routinely toss or put on a shelf (to collect dust) the wallets in which documents from SS and other luxury lines are delivered. If SS must economize (and surely like every cruise line it must), I am pleased that they economize on the (to me) useless document wallet rather than aspects of the onboard experience.

My docs arrived this morning. My travel wallet is off-gassing next to me while I write this.

I too, don't really care since my dh bought me a lovely leather travel document wallet 12 years ago and I don't even use that anymore since I now only have to keep track of my boarding pass and passport (as opposed to the 4 paper tickets, boarding passes, and passports from when I traveled with the kids.)

On the other hand, my "ugly" luggage tags aren't in the box or the wallet. Only the sticky ones you put on the baggage to get it to the cabin.

My Maruzza Lefebvre D'Ovidio Foundation card has highlighting on it. Don't know if that was by SS or my TA.

When we booked the Silver Spirit cruise that we took in August, we booked a military rate and the documents actually came via email - no document holder or silver box. This was not an issue because the rate was so good it made up for tons of document holders and boxes.

But, since we were one of the first to book this type of rate, our TA was unhappy that we did not receive the document holder. She specifically asked Silversea for one for us because of some other lack of disclosure issues mentioned in another thread. They did send her this new document holder and box and we received it a few days before we left.

However, when we called to book our Silver Shadow cruise on a military rate for October, our TA said - "You're not going to get your document holder this time. The documents are coming via email."

This is because Silversea sent our TA a bill for $50 for the document holder for the Spirit cruise."

So, value that document holder......(taking tongue out of cheek).

We must have gotten in just under the wire, because we received our documents about two weeks ago and they are definitely in a leather binder (with leather luggage tags). From my perspective I disagree with those who say this is unimportant....just like getting a beautiful invitation, I believe that getting beautifully packaged cruise documents "sets a tone" for what is to come. As we are about to embark on our first ever cruise, perhaps if I had an entire shelf full of leather travel wallets from past trips I might feel otherwise.

We were on the Shadow twice before, in 2004 and 2007 respectively, and both folders were not leather, just leatherette. Look carefully inside, there was a little tag that said PVC - made in China. So perhaps the fakes years ago looked better than the new fakes.

The silver cardboard box in 2004 looked like a child's shoe box. The one in 2007 was the best designed, with a magnetic strip flap, and it looked elegant. We kept both sets for souvenir.

Anyway, we still look forward to receiving our third one, perhaps sometime in October.

Our cruise is leaving in 3 weeks and have yet to recieve anything...getting concerned. How long before your cruises did your docs. arrive?

Approx 2 weeks prior, or maybe a little later if via your TA.

Maybe I was a little hasty earlier, and this is not a backward step at all.

It's just a decision by the UK office to reward all of us dedicated, longterm British guests with the brand spanking (apologies to all those with delicate natures for using such a term in this post) new maroon PVC goodies and save all the 'old and tired' leather look-a-like wallets for our poorer cousins overseas.

Does anyone else find the luggage tag design a bit off? You either have to unbuckle the strap attaching the tag to the bag in order to see the name/address inside, or you don't thread the strap thru the cover thus having a piece of tag that is just asking to get snagged on something.

I must say though, that the document wallet lent a nice leathery smell to my nylon briefcase.

Kevin

I don't care about the document wallet but if I don't get my silver box, I will be very upset.:mad:

Since all my docs are coming from the US, there is the possibility that I may not get them in time for when I leave Oz but my TA told me that I can board without the docs.

Cheers

Jennifer

Clearly, something has to be done about the increasing and gratuitous use of irony by posters to these boards. Perhaps the moderators could apply a flag to suspected posts - maybe something like - "CAUTION! before pressing the 'submit reply' button, consider alternative interpretations of this post"

Does anyone else find the luggage tag design a bit off? You either have to unbuckle the strap attaching the tag to the bag in order to see the name/address inside, or you don't thread the strap thru the cover thus having a piece of tag that is just asking to get snagged on something.

That's a standard format for many luggage tags and I agree it is a bit awkward but it keeps your name hidden so baggage handlers can't see your address easily (and thus pop round and rob your home while you are away.)

For this very reason, I use a business card in my luggage tags so it is a business address that gets spotted.

I asked my TA about the lack of luggage tags in my Silver box and travel document holder and she reported that "The luggage tag insert for the leather holder are in the ticket booklet and have perforated edges for easy removal."

Must be really easily removed because I don't have them. Nor can I even find the perforated edge in any booklet (I've looked on the cruise docs, the Setting Sail booklet and the booklet with the shore excursions.)

Archived