Carnival policy for discounting through TAs

JPH814

In the past, I have booked some cruises directly through the cruise line and some cruises I have booked through agants. I have found that the service directly through the lines is somewhat better than through the agents. Questions are answered directly by the cruise lines. Cruise documents are delayed longer through agents. The folks at the cruise lines are more knowledgable about the ships than the TAs. I book through TAs when they can provide a financial advantage. I do not see other significant advantages.

I always plan and book far in advance so last minute deals don't help me much. I just priced a cruise on-line for next August - two cabins, an 8B and a 9c - from Carnival and from 4 different on-line agencies. They are exactly the same price. I understand this is the result of a new Carnival policy - or the new enforcement of an old policy.

I did not call the agencies on the phone; might this have made a difference?

I think I will purchase through the cruise line.

I would be interested in others' experience and opinions towards this issue.

In the past, I have booked some cruises directly through the cruise line and some cruises I have booked through agants. I have found that the service directly through the lines is somewhat better than through the agents. Questions are answered directly by the cruise lines. Cruise documents are delayed longer through agents. The folks at the cruise lines are more knowledgable about the ships than the TAs. I book through TAs when they can provide a financial advantage. I do not see other significant advantages.

I always plan and book far in advance so last minute deals don't help me much. I just priced a cruise on-line for next August - two cabins, an 8B and a 9c - from Carnival and from 4 different on-line agencies. They are exactly the same price. I understand this is the result of a new Carnival policy - or the new enforcement of an old policy.

I did not call the agencies on the phone; might this have made a difference?

I think I will purchase through the cruise line.

I would be interested in others' experience and opinions towards this issue.

True, the new policies with Carnival will not allow travel agents to offer the same "deals" that they could before, but I would be careful about saying the cruise lines know more about the ships and can answer questions more directly then a TA. There are many TAs that are just as knowledgeable or even more then some of the Carnival Reps. Some of them choose a cruise line and do nothing but quote Carnival so they learn to live Carnival.

Many people have formed a bond with their Carnival Rep but so too with a TA. I think a TA is going to work harder for your business then some Carnival Reps. They have a direct line and know business will be coming their way, while a TA may or may not get that call over the other TAs in their area.

Just my two cents worth.

It has been the policy for years (I dont know how many sorry ...before my time) that no TA can advertise lower prices ... but some discounted by forming groups or taking money out of their commission in private ... so yes, email and calling sometimes makes a difference.

Now Carnival is trying to stop it one step further and says no more than $25 in perks can be give by the TA (Mach posted this language, so Im taking his word for it).

Some say TAs will find a way to discount if they want to privately.

True, the new policies with Carnival will not allow travel agents to offer the same "deals" that they could before, but I would be careful about saying the cruise lines know more about the ships and can answer questions more directly then a TA. There are many TAs that are just as knowledgeable or even more then some of the Carnival Reps. Some of them choose a cruise line and do nothing but quote Carnival so they learn to live Carnival.

Many people have formed a bond with their Carnival Rep but so too with a TA. I think a TA is going to work harder for your business then some Carnival Reps. They have a direct line and know business will be coming their way, while a TA may or may not get that call over the other TAs in their area.

Just my two cents worth.

Yes that is the new rule but I can tell you at least some are still doing it and others are offering OBC as well.

Carnival has been trying for years to enforce what they call price parity, which basically means that no matter where you book your cruise, you should get the same price.

The reason for this policy is so that you, as the customer, would shop NOT for price, but for the one agent providing the best customer service, best product knowledge, and overall best experience. The goal was to encourage all agents selling the Carnival product to LEARN the Carnival product.

Many travel agents though, still try to attract guests by offering a lower price (some because they can't really compete with their product knowledge or customer service).

We see it all the time here, with guest posting messages about how they were "lured" to book through XYZ travel agent by a lower price, only to realize that they were dealing with the agent from hell!

TA's can still discount if they want........just different ways.

Call and talk to 3 different Carnival customer service agents and ask them the same question.......you will found out fast how clueless they are;)

No reason for hold ups on docs from anyone, they are all e docs you can print them yourself....

I have used the same TA for over 10 years until she retired and referred me to another top notch agent.......I'm stickin with her....

I have no need get info from her 24/7.....but if I had to I can e mail her and she answers back the same day.....

I enjoy giving my money to our local community and to someone I know.....

Do whatever you feel comfortable with......

Oh and did I mention that alot of TA's mine included are highly knowledgeble in ALL lines.....and gets us the best overall price for a cruise of our choice....which is an added plus! One stop shopping!

When researching prices the last 2 months for our next cruise, I talked to 3 different local TA's and my MIL talked to one in her area and they all quoted higher prices than booking directly with Carnival. I didn't contact any online TA's since I don't anything about them.

When researching prices the last 2 months for our next cruise, I talked to 3 different local TA's and my MIL talked to one in her area and they all quoted higher prices than booking directly with Carnival. I didn't contact any online TA's since I don't anything about them.

You should have told them what Carnival quoted you......they more then likely would have matched it or given you a better deal.....especially in this market;)

I had used a group TA for my first cruise when I started. I had thought the price was highly jacked up ... but I wanted to go with the group.

So, she says use her for our next cruise ...so I said I can book NCL Dream out of Houston for XYZ$$$, say $500 for a inside, what can you offer me. .. (I was thinking she would offer less, right??) .. she says she can book me for $650. Im like what... I can book for $500, she said but the $650 cabin is in a very nice location.

I never talked to that TA again. She wasnt even that good. No wonder some TAs are going the way of dinasaurs.

It has been the policy for years (I dont know how many sorry ...before my time) that no TA can advertise lower prices ... but some discounted by forming groups or taking money out of their commission in private ... so yes, email and calling sometimes makes a difference.

Now Carnival is trying to stop it one step further and says no more than $25 in perks can be give by the TA (Mach posted this language, so Im taking his word for it).

Some say TAs will find a way to discount if they want to privately.

This is the verbiage that you referred to. It's taken directly from Carnival's Travel Agency Policy:

Non cash equivalent items (those where the dollar value is not easily discernable such as hotel stays, gift items, shore excursions, etc.) that are less than the greater of 5% of the Complete Cruise Fare or $25 do not require pre-approval of the Sales & Marketing plan by Carnival. However Carnival may request to see the plan at any time and rescind authorization for the value-add if Carnival does not find sufficient promotional value in the Sales & Marketing plan.

Sorry, I can't cite the source as it's from a PDF file that I have...

:)

The warehouse club TA I had been booking with (and getting discounts) told us they no longer sell Carnival cruises effective 8/1, coincidentally when Carnival's new pricing policy went into effect.

So I went to the site where you get bids for the cruise you want and did indeed get a nice OBC since at that point I knew I was comparing only perks; the price would be the same as Carnival directly or other online TAs. I also heard the 10% rule--perks or obc worth 10% of your cruise.

I heard NCL has instituted the same policy.

Carnival and NCL have just recently cracked down on discounted cruise tickets. They will not allow any TA to quote a price for less than the cruise line agents. RCCL has had this policy for several years. Cunard and Princess will not allow a TA to advertize a special price for less than the cruise lines specials that they offer from time to time. They also are scrutinizing bogus discounts for people that don't qualify such as seniors, military or any other group. All of this puts the TA at risk of losing the ability to sell for that cruise line. Now, some TA's will quote you only by phone so there is no paper trail to follow what was discussed and they may or may not get away with selling at a discount. They can advertize a cruise price and then say "Call" for details. Nothing is certain and you still hear of discounts for cruise tickets and there are still ways to get around the rules.

I had used a group TA for my first cruise when I started. I had thought the price was highly jacked up ... but I wanted to go with the group.

So, she says use her for our next cruise ...so I said I can book NCL Dream out of Houston for XYZ$$$, say $500 for a inside, what can you offer me. .. (I was thinking she would offer less, right??) .. she says she can book me for $650. Im like what... I can book for $500, she said but the $650 cabin is in a very nice location.

I never talked to that TA again. She wasnt even that good. No wonder some TAs are going the way of dinasaurs.

She was an idiot:D Idiots are a dime a dozen nowadays......which really hurts the dependable hard working TA's..

She was an idiot:D Idiots are a dime a dozen nowadays......which really hurts the dependable hard working TA's..

She messed up so many things and had so many problems .. I really didnt want to use her again. This was pre CC days too :D

Now I know a lot more ..but we all had to start somewhere. I said to myself, hey I can book two of us for what she wants for one person on the cruise I did with her. I never checked the price of the cruise (can you believe that lol) so I cant say for sure that $1100 was too much for one person in a obstructed OV on Princess .. (I shared the room, but she paid for herself).

Im so much smarter now. We all have to learn I guess. I learned since then :p

All of this puts the TA at risk of losing the ability to sell for that cruise line.

I think that what this rule is doing is forcing the TA's to step up to the plate, LEARN the product that they are selling, and become competitive based on their professionalism, customer service, and product knowledge.

Just like Royal Caribbean got sick a few years ago of dealing with incompetent travel agents who only offered an artifically lower rate, Carnival is doing the same.

In my opinion, it's ABOUT TIME!

Carnival and NCL have just recently cracked down on discounted cruise tickets. They will not allow any TA to quote a price for less than the cruise line agents. RCCL has had this policy for several years. Cunard and Princess will not allow a TA to advertize a special price for less than the cruise lines specials that they offer from time to time. They also are scrutinizing bogus discounts for people that don't qualify such as seniors, military or any other group. All of this puts the TA at risk of losing the ability to sell for that cruise line. Now, some TA's will quote you only by phone so there is no paper trail to follow what was discussed and they may or may not get away with selling at a discount. They can advertize a cruise price and then say "Call" for details. Nothing is certain and you still hear of discounts for cruise tickets and there are still ways to get around the rules.

All this is nothing new.......there is nothing risky about it with a knowlegable TA......

Yup; I just booked today with a TA instead of Carnival because for the exact same price, down to the penny, I got the same double occupancy balcony with a 100.00 OBC.

Please tell me that you checked with this TA that they will not charge you any bogus fees like booking fees, change fees outside of penalty, cancelation fees outside of penalty, etc, etc, etc. Also, I hope that they are easy to reach and competent should you need any assistance. You did check all of this, right?

Please tell me that you checked with this TA that they will not charge you any bogus fees like booking fees, change fees outside of penalty, cancelation fees outside of penalty, etc, etc, etc. Also, I hope that they are easy to reach and competent should you need any assistance. You did check all of this, right?

Isn't your response a little patronising to someone who has listed 5 Carnival cruises?

Isn't your response a little patronising to someone who has listed 5 Carnival cruises?

Sorry if it came across that way. I made the comment because I have been burned before by booking through the TA that offered me "special perks" and not bothering to read the fine print or asking questions before giving them my credit card.

I like to think of myself as being an "experienced cruiser", yet I still fell for the promise of a "special onboard savings booklet and an OBC", only to find myself paying a hefty change and cancellation fee when I had to change my travel plans...

Cunard and Princess will not allow a TA to advertize a special price for less than the cruise lines specials that they offer from time to time.

Don't know anything about Cunard but this statement doesn't seem to be true for Princess. I booked my 18 night transatlantic cruise next Oct on the Ruby after I saw a post from my TA on their Facebook page. Price given in the post was over half off the $7800 Princess listed on their website. :cool:

Archived