Pickpockets

Missus Makkem

I tend to be polite on disagreements, but this time I won't mince words: what an arrogant and ignorant comment! Please @Laurelicious spare us your presence in our hometown and stay aboard the ship. You'll feel safer and we won't have to suffer "your kind of people". Gosh!

You do realize you have jumped on a thread from 2010. Barcelona is one of the most interesting cities in Europe. Having been there on both a cruise as well as multiple days of land tours l always highly recommend it. If you fear travel in Barcelona, I wish you luck in Rome, Naples and probably Paris as well as current statistics find them equally as risky. If only to see the Sagrada Familia you should get off the ship. I know you may not believe it but I find riding the Metro here, as well as walking the Rambla very unintimadating.

Barcelona is not to be missed. Staying on the ship is like sticking your head in the sand.

Sure, the pickpockets are there, but take precautions and enjoy the city.

As for the Inquisition, if you are that sensitive to bad history, not sure where you would be able to visit.

As the quote commented other places in Europe like Rome, Paris, and Naples are just as bad as Barcelona.

I tend to be polite on disagreements, but this time I won't mince words: what an arrogant and ignorant comment! Please @Laurelicious spare us your presence in our hometown and stay aboard the ship. You'll feel safer and we won't have to suffer "your kind of people". Gosh!

We have been to Barcelona 5 times and the last thing we would do is stay on the ship. Always something new and wonderful to see. Can't wait to go back in November. :):):)

I'm heading to Barcelona pre-cruise for a 2 night stay this Fall. I travel alone, I'll be 70, and I don't worry about my safety. For one thing, self confidence, a strong presence is your best friend, fear, worry and looking over your shoulder is not.

Missing cities doesn't make sense to me. You can get off the ship in Barcelona, catch one of the hop on, hop off buses, get a good overview of the city, very easy to do. Barcelona is so walkable, interesting, I love going there. Why cruise Europe if you aren't getting off and enjoy the cities?

Don't let a pickpocket ruin your trip! To stay on the ship in Barcelona makes no sense, this is such a beautiful city with so much to see & do. Just stay aware of your surroundings & personal space. We use pacsafe backpack & purse which is added protection.

Between the dark history (Inquisition) and the pickpockets, I think we'll just stay aboard our beautiful, clean, safe ship. We're mostly in it for the sea days anyway.

Love your attitude. We agree, you should stay aboard your ship...no matter where in the world it might go. But some of us also enjoy ports :). As to Europe, we have been traveling to and around Europe for quite a few decades. We are talking dozens of cruises, river cruises, extended driving vacations, train vacations, etc. In all those decades of travel we have never been pickpocketed....probably because we take a few basic precautions (which we also do at home). As to Barcelona (been there more then a dozen times) we think the pickpocket threat is similar (or perhaps a bit worse) then most major tourist centers of Europe. So for those that think they should stay on their ship because of pickpockets in Barcelona...they had best not get off anywhere else in Europe. As to the Inquisition....well we were not around (more then 500 years ago) so cannot comment. But wondering how your experience was during the Inquisition? :)

Hank

Love your attitude. We agree, you should stay aboard your ship...no matter where in the world it might go. But some of us also enjoy ports :). As to Europe, we have been traveling to and around Europe for quite a few decades. We are talking dozens of cruises, river cruises, extended driving vacations, train vacations, etc. In all those decades of travel we have never been pickpocketed....probably because we take a few basic precautions (which we also do at home). As to Barcelona (been there more then a dozen times) we think the pickpocket threat is similar (or perhaps a bit worse) then most major tourist centers of Europe. So for those that think they should stay on their ship because of pickpockets in Barcelona...they had best not get off anywhere else in Europe. As to the Inquisition....well we were not around (more then 500 years ago) so cannot comment. But wondering how your experience was during the Inquisition? :)

Hank

Too Funny.:D

• 2 months later...
I'm heading to Barcelona pre-cruise for a 2 night stay this Fall. I travel alone, I'll be 70, and I don't worry about my safety. For one thing, self confidence, a strong presence is your best friend, fear, worry and looking over your shoulder is not.

Missing cities doesn't make sense to me. You can get off the ship in Barcelona, catch one of the hop on, hop off buses, get a good overview of the city, very easy to do. Barcelona is so walkable, interesting, I love going there. Why cruise Europe if you aren't getting off and enjoy the cities?

Hi Susan, I am going to Barcelona next month 2 nights pre-cruise also solo......I am 59. I know this thread started many

years ago and not sure if you are still posting on here but a question.....do you carry a cross body bag? Just wondering

if I should skip that and just wear a money belt........this will be my 3rd trip to Europe but first time to Barcelona......

I don't recall having these concerns on my previous trips. I am not "worried" but I do want to be aware and was

wondering the best thing for sightseeing.........I am going on tour with "Barcelona Day Tours" on 1 day and the

other day will be on my own.

We were in Barcelona last month for five days . I wore a cross shoulder bag (a travelon bag with security features ) . I only carried what I needed for the day . I never felt worried except outside the large market in the evening .

Hi Susan, I am going to Barcelona next month 2 nights pre-cruise also solo......I am 59. I know this thread started many

years ago and not sure if you are still posting on here but a question.....do you carry a cross body bag? Just wondering

if I should skip that and just wear a money belt........this will be my 3rd trip to Europe but first time to Barcelona......

I don't recall having these concerns on my previous trips. I am not "worried" but I do want to be aware and was

wondering the best thing for sightseeing.........I am going on tour with "Barcelona Day Tours" on 1 day and the

other day will be on my own.

We were in Barcelona in April & I never encountered a problem. I used a crossbody bag. I never felt unsafe, but I believe that you should always stay aware of your surroundings.

We were in Barcelona in April & I never encountered a problem. I used a crossbody bag. I never felt unsafe, but I believe that you should always stay aware of your surroundings.

Hi, did you use the kind with anti-theft stuff inside and the straps that are unbreakable? I have a couple of cross body

bags I normally use but not sure they will be good to use in Barcelona........

Hi, did you use the kind with anti-theft stuff inside and the straps that are unbreakable? I have a couple of cross body

bags I normally use but not sure they will be good to use in Barcelona........

Yes, I do have a PacSafe bag that I purchased a few years ago for a trip to Europe. My husband also has a PacSafe backpack. Many locals recommended that the backpack be worn on the front, but with the locking zippers & steel reinforcements he kept it on his back. We never felt that anyone got too close, but a seasoned pickpocket could have seen the PacSafe logos & realized we were not easy targets.

I am not sure that Spanish pickpockets will be able to read pac safe or know what it is, I did not. The key to this problem is not look like a tourist, dress like one ,or carry as much with you in places like Les Ramblas .

Too much can be made of this, especially in Europe. In London I am always amazed how much clutter most tourists have with them, think what you need for a day sightseeing, especially if you are on a cruise., we are always astonished how much some people bring with them.

I think if you keep your stuff safe as if you were in your own major city you will be fine. Some people are very careless,even at home. Hanging bags over seats when eating out and also putting handbags in shopping baskets or trolleys.

I am not sure that Spanish pickpockets will be able to read pac safe or know what it is, I did not. The key to this problem is not look like a tourist, dress like one ,or carry as much with you in places like Les Ramblas .

Too much can be made of this, especially in Europe. In London I am always amazed how much clutter most tourists have with them, think what you need for a day sightseeing, especially if you are on a cruise., we are always astonished how much some people bring with them.

I believe that good pickpockets in Spain (who are almost certainly not Spanish) or elsewhere can spot a Pacsafe handbag at 50 paces, and they can spot a tourist, no matter what they are wearing, or how local they are pretending to be. Body language gives it away every time.

As you say, be organised and be aware. Let the pickpockets go for the easier targets.