Received notice of complimentary cruise

Shelli

Call

You have nothing to lose. just DO NOT get sucked into giving a credit card number or anything like that, AND before you do verify that the area code in in the US, and not a weird one.

No we had a problem with this with my son. A Wyoming phone number but apparently the company routed the call through Belize and it racked up the phone charges. I was able to get some of the charges off but not all. Cost us an extra $200. DO NOT CALL

Hey ... believe it or not the Triumph 4 day Im boarding today is the so called free cruise that I paid $358 for. They upgraded us to a 4A .. its the very last one, in the aft, bottom deck, but we are going anyway and plan on enjoying it.

Today is finally my free $358 ($179 X 2) cruise. It did happen, but I had to push to make it happen.

As I mentioned, I knew someone else who did this and they eventually got their cruise too. Its not a scam, but its not free either. My postcard btw, said a free 4 day from Galveston .. which I did not get.

My friend got taken in by this. Free cruise, but you pay the port charges and taxes which was more than 60% of the cruise price.

She signed up for a very expensive travel club to get it and of course they took her money and ran.

thats what they were selling for mine too, a travel club .. as they promised not a timeshare, that is old hat :D

Mine probably was about 60%, but they said it also covers admin fees.

I received this in the mail also. I called it (It was a toll free number), and the catch was that we had to go and listen to some spill about something and we would receive the free cruise. They said we would have to bring a credit card with us to the presentation and we told them we did not have one. They then told me that it was a promotion that was only good for households that made over $50,000.00 a year and had a major credit card. Since I told them we did not have a major credit card (I lied), they said we were not eligible and then hung up. We were never told what the promotional presentation was.

those solicitation postcards w/ ccl logo have been around a long time and I am willing to bet CCL is well aware of it.

Carnival in general knows these things are going around, but the people who run these scams move around a lot, operating out of a post office box or anonymous web site. As a result, if Carnival (or any other cruise line) were to track them down, they'd probably be operating somewhere else by that time.

Carnival in general knows these things are going around, but the people who run these scams move around a lot, operating out of a post office box or anonymous web site. As a result, if Carnival (or any other cruise line) were to track them down, they'd probably be operating somewhere else by that time.

They are not all scams.....see fireflys post on their experience. I have had friends that have done these before and been pleased as well.

Ya never know if you don't investigate and may be pleasantly surprised ! ;)

I have this same exact postcard at home now. Was planning to call just to see what scam it is but haven't had time. It is an 888 # and I tried the look up using the website someone posted in this thread but that site charges you to look up info and I am not paying... May call next week when we are home and have more time... Will let you know the outcome if we do. I know nothing is free and there are strings attached. I am no dummy but always like to play with the telemarketers..

I also like to "play" with the telemarketers. I got a call last week -- "You have won a FREE cruise on Royal Caribbean from Miami. Ok - I'm listening. Basically they said all you had to pay were port charges, oh, and also we can give you a free week in Orlando at a time share, and while there, you did not need to listen to a time share presentation. They kept asking questions, like do you have children, how man persons would be traveling in your party? When I said I was not interestd in Orlando, they offered me Aruba, Mexico, etc. Basically it was one of those --too good to be true, so said I was not interested. It was here they got very pushy. As I was on the phone I googled the name of the company and found a lot of negative comments of people that had been scamed. So quickly hung up after that. They had called me, I had not called them, so I'm not worried about phone charges, but basically what the review I read while on the phone with them said was --they booked through them, took vacation time off to travel, and when time for documents to arrive, they never received them. After many phone calls, they were told they had called to cancel the trip and therefore it was cancelled. The persons had never called to cancel, had taken time off of work, and bassically there as no free cruise. It's always interesting to me to hear how these scams work - but as mentioned above - THERE IS "NO" FREE LUNCH!

We got one of these in the mail as well but it isn't free as they say it is. You have to pay the port fees, admin fees, etc. I called them as well, but then quickly found out the company wasn't very good according to the 'net. Quickly hung up and I haven't heard from them since. I can book another cruise line last minute for less than what they were asking.

At least I thought it was RCCL, it said Royal Caribben and it had their logo, so I called it just to find out and to have some fun on the phone. Call me crazy, but I just had to call knowing it was a scam. I went rounds with the guy on the phone asking a million questions until he got tired and said he felt that I was not really interested in his "free cruise". If it sounds too good to be true, it is, but I had to prove it to my husband that there is no such thing as a "free lunch."

We got one like this awhile ago, and just to play with these people and find out about what "free" was, I called. And they tried hocking me about this that and another thing, and then when they saw I wasn't biting, they were going to put the president of the company on the phone to talk to me. (Like I was going to be impressed.) The ship was sailing out of Miami--it would have cost us too much to fly out there for a 4 day cruise.....We just toss the award.....

• 7 months later...
We got one like this awhile ago, and just to play with these people and find out about what "free" was, I called. And they tried hocking me about this that and another thing, and then when they saw I wasn't biting, they were going to put the president of the company on the phone to talk to me. (Like I was going to be impressed.) The ship was sailing out of Miami--it would have cost us too much to fly out there for a 4 day cruise.....We just toss the award.....

I guess this promotion is still going on. I received a card today with the Carnival logo and something close to the US Airways logo except it reads "US Airlines". My ports of call are Seattle, Freeport and St Thomas. A ship would have to travel very quickly to cover all of this in 8 days/7 nights.

I tried doing a reverse lookup for 1-877-830-3540 but couldn't find anything.

I just received this today, lol! Sounds like a scam to me. If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

I got a Complimentary 8 day cruise on Carnival.

It says "Dear ------, In celebration of our Grand Opening in your area, You have been selected to receive a Complimentary 8 day/7 day Night cruise for 2 with an outside cabin, leaving from any major port in the US.

Call within 48 hours. You will also receive a bonus:

2 Roundtrip airfares leaving from or going to any majors airport in the Continental U.S.!"

Our ports of call are Charleston, SC, Jacksonville, FL, and Freeport, Bahamas.

It says in very fine print "Certain restrictions may apply. Call for details of participation. *This promotion is not sponsored by or affiliated with Carnival Cruise Lines, but they are a major supplier. Ninety minute travel presentation required. Recipient is responsible for any applicable deposits, port charges, taxes, and/or fees."

I guess I will throw it away or show it to a few people for a laugh. Do people really fall for this?!

Has anyone else gotten one of these? It's a postcard addressed to my husband, with no return address or indication of any company name. It says "Dear ___, In celebration of our Grand Opening in your area, you have been selected to received a complimentary 8 day/7 night cruise for 2 with an outside cabin, leaving from any major port in the US, including New York City." It has the Carnival logo in several places, although it's clearly not from Carnival. It also says "This is not a timeshare or land sale offer."

It tells us to call for more info, but I hesitate to respond without knowing anything more about it. I'm old enough to know that there's no such thing as a free lunch... but I do wonder about this.

Did anyone else get one and call the number? What did it turn out to be?

Sounds like a scam to me....

I guess this promotion is still going on. I received a card today with the Carnival logo and something close to the US Airways logo except it reads "US Airlines". My ports of call are Seattle, Freeport and St Thomas. A ship would have to travel very quickly to cover all of this in 8 days/7 nights.

I tried doing a reverse lookup for 1-877-830-3540 but couldn't find anything.

I got that one too. Must take you thru the Northwest passage.icon7.gif

Archived