Stateroom Televisions

Lovincruisin1321

Where would you like it to be placed? If you sit on the couch, you are across from it. There is no other place to put it unless you mount it on the wall, and then you have to crane your neck to see it from the bed. The TVs are the standard 20" screen...I have never seen a larger screen in any cruise ship cabin, with the possible exception of the most expensive suites. EM

Interesting what is important to people. We hardly even turn our TV on but I have always found it placement and size to be just fine. We are usually off the ship doing a DIY excursion or enjoying the many fine aspects of the ship instead of watching TV :rolleyes:.

Kirk

I have never cruised on Holland but was considering it until I saw the viritual tour of an Ocean View. The tv was very small and was placed in the furtherest corner of the vanity.

Is this true???:confused:

And since there are virtually no TV stations available at sea, your point would be......??? And seriously - you would dismiss an entire cruise line because of this? Hmmmm......your post really makes me chuckle.

If you are cruising to watch TV, you are going to be very disappointed with the channel selection. You will possibly have an international CNN or ESPN channel, reruns of old Law & Order or I Love Lucy or some such - a movie (maybe), a cartoon channel for the kids (reruns continually), the ship's shopping/cruise port talk/or other ship's activities channel, the Bridge Cam & navigation channel and several music channels.

We turn on the TV once in a while as DH likes to get the coordinates & other info on the ship navigation channel, but that's about it.

There are two things we don't even think about when cruising:

1. Cell Phones & their use

2. Television

BTW - I haven't been on a cruise line yet that has a large wall-mounted flat-screen TV in the cabin....have you??

Interesting what is important to people. We hardly even turn our TV on but I have always found it placement and size to be just fine. We are usually off the ship doing a DIY excursion or enjoying the many fine aspects of the ship instead of watching TV :rolleyes:.

Kirk

We are with you!!

It is a rare occasion when we turn on the TV -- sometimes just to see the port as we are approaching it.

A few times when there has been some VERY bad news world wide that we wanted to catch up on -- and the Neptune Lounge was was already crowded with everyone wanting to see the larger TV.

I think the most time we ever watched TV was when we were on NCL when Princess Diana was killed in the car accident -- lots of coverage since we were in that area at the time -- and then of course the day of her funeral.

Yes, there are TVs, Brian. Remember on the E'dam the large flat screen, in your lovely aft suite, blocked the view from your window? :eek:

Likewise, we've had nice flat screen TV's in our cabins on board HAL ships as well - just not mounted on the wall. Those in our SA suites were on the desk by the large window with the DVD player on a shelf beneath. Just not that big a deal for us to have a TV on board. Tho' I do leave my TV on in our bedroom from time to time, I've never needed anything to help me fall asleep on a cruise. We are usually pleasantly exhausted from the days' & evenings' activities.

The TV in our suite on the Westerdam was moved away from the window down toward the end of the desk by the balcony door, so we could actually see out of the window when seated at the desk. Someone must've suggested that HAL move it to keep it from blocking the view.

And - really nice pic, Maxout - thanks for posting it. On which ship from RCCL was it taken? We haven't cruised with them in years. That looks like a great cabin.

I also sleep with the TV on. It's the only companion I can stand to share a cabin with anymore.

While the sets on ships aren't what I have at home, they serve my purpose, a flickering light and a droning sound. And then, as has been noted, sometimes there is something newsworthy you want to keep up with.

Holly,

Here is my piece of advice, for what it is worth, about posting on this board.

If you have a question, please ask it. If the responses are rude and obnoxious just ignore those ones. Like this thread, some nice people will post and, hopefully, answer your questions.

That really is the best thing about the computer, if the response is full of ignorance you just skip to the next one. Occasionally, the threads do get out of hand....then you just have to try again. If you want to add me as a friend, I would be willing to trade e-mail with you and I may be able to answer a few of your questions.

Diana

You folks need to hook-up with Mr. valium or something. Not everybody is the same: there are people out there that enjoy different things, and these things are important to them.

They don't deserve to be treated like they're moe-rons because of that.

BTW - I haven't been on a cruise line yet that has a large wall-mounted flat-screen TV in the cabin....have you??

Why yes....in fact I have. Celebrity S-class for instance (Solstice, Eclipse, etc.) have all flat screen TV's and IIRC, they start at 32". On our july cruise, we had a 40" in our bedroom, and a 52" in the living room.

If HAL has a 20" TV as their 'standard,' that's ridiculously small, and a 32" flat screen could easily be accomodated wall-mounted almost anywhere.

WE enjoy the TV in our cabin. We like watching the news or just chillin' out to a DVD, or an 'on-demand' movie some nights rather than going out, or reading. /Must be something wrong with us.;)

Why yes....in fact I have. Celebrity S-class for instance (Solstice, Eclipse, etc.) have all flat screen TV's and IIRC, they start at 32". On our july cruise, we had a 40" in our bedroom, and a 52" in the living room.

WE enjoy the TV in our cabin. We like watching the news or just chillin' out to a DVD, or an 'on-demand' movie some nights rather than going out, or reading. /Must be something wrong with us.;)

What is an IIRC??? I have never heard of that (perhaps I don't have enough electronics!!). As for the size of the TVs I would like that....mine at home are only about 32 inch....but I could never afford the type of cabin that comes with a bedroom...so I will have to live with my small tv player. Oh well, as long as it has a DVD player I am happy!!!

Diana

What is an IIRC??? I have never heard of that (perhaps I don't have enough electronics!!). As for the size of the TVs I would like that....mine at home are only about 32 inch....but I could never afford the type of cabin that comes with a bedroom...so I will have to live with my small tv player. Oh well, as long as it has a DVD player I am happy!!!

Diana

IIRC is internet jargon for 'if I recall correctly'. I had to ask the same question not so long ago. EM

I once posted a question about televisions in the cabins and what channels we could get on it. I did not get this sort of response!! I am also now scared to ask another television question....usually it is the posts about kids-teenagers-dress code that get the most heated debates;)

Maybe I could add that I am a solo traveler and for us the television can be a companion in our room at night. I have to add that I never go to the shows after dinner. I turn in very early....I am VERY boring....and when I cruised on the Celebrity Solstice, I loved having a 32 inch flat screen where I could keep up with the Kardashian sisters...now I am going to get snidy posts back:p

Maybe couples and families do not get that solo travelers need a little company in their staterooms at night;)

I once posted a question about televisions in the cabins and what channels we could get on it. I did not get this sort of response!! I am also now scared to ask another television question....usually it is the posts about kids-teenagers-dress code that get the most heated debates;)

Maybe I could add that I am a solo traveler and for us the television can be a companion in our room at night. I have to add that I never go to the shows after dinner. I turn in very early....I am VERY boring....and when I cruised on the Celebrity Solstice, I loved having a 32 inch flat screen where I could keep up with the Kardashian sisters...now I am going to get snidy posts back:p

Maybe couples and families do not get that solo travelers need a little company in their staterooms at night;)

You are funny. I guess when I cruise it is usually on my own or with my Mom. But it is the one time of year I get away from my usually responsibilities and even if I travel with my Mom we have separate cabins so that I can still be "on my own". So, if I feel like being by myself, I go back to my cabin and watch TV or read a book. Both work for me. I guess what some people don't realize is that cruising does not mean the same for everyone. One reason I cruise when I travel by myself is because there is always something to do if you want to or you can sit and do nothing if that is what you prefer and....for a female travelling alone, it is one of the safest options. So, I would be happy with a 32 inch tv or a 20 inch tv!!

I can't wait for a week from Monday!!!!

<snip>

And - really nice pic, Maxout - thanks for posting it. On which ship from RCCL was it taken? We haven't cruised with them in years. That looks like a great cabin.

It's from Liberty of the Seas, E Class veranda I "borrowed" it from another thread.

Thank you for opening my eyes to yet another point of view.;) Haven't travelled solo in a very ... very long time.

Happy cruising!

Archived