Flights prior to noon

kasualkathy

How safe is it to book a departing flight from Ft. Lauderdale coming off the Oasis in March of 2011 prior to noon? Any thoughts?

It depends how much prior to noon you're talking about.

The airport isn't far from the cruise port at all, but getting there is only half the battle. It took me 2 hours to check-in last time I was there...

Go ahead and book a flight at 9am......why bother paying any attention to the recommendations of your cruiseline. Heck....they only sail in to that port every week; what do they know.

Let me guess....there is a good price on an early flight and you want some guarantee that it will be OK? Or you don't want to get home late at night? At least you are asking before buying a ticket.

Personally, I take the guideline from the cruiseline and ask myself "Is there some reason I should disregard this?". Then I go forward. And tell myself that there are economic tradeoffs all the time (thank you, Mr. Mankiew) and I have to make a decision on allocation of resources (time, capital, energy).

Finally, you will be joining 5000 of your newest and closest friends in making your way to the airport and your flight. And that doesn't count any other ships in port.

OP - without providing the time your ship is supposed to dock, and what time the flight is that you are considering, no one can really answer your question.

As already stated, there's a reason the cruiseline tells you not to book a flight before a certain time. They aren't just making up those numbers.

Does anyone get tired of looking at this same question after it's been posted about 500 times or so? Does anyone think the answer will ever change because it now applies to them?

Does anyone get tired of looking at this same question after it's been posted about 500 times or so? Does anyone think the answer will ever change because it now applies to them?

1. Yes

2. Not some of us. Others, obviously so.

Nah....it just provides me with the challenge of figuring out some new and compassionate way to get across the same reply.

And to follow up Keith and 6Rug....it's like calling your doctor on the phone and saying "I have this pain. Will a couple of aspirins make it go away?"

Okay...I have never done the airfare myself...always booked thru travel agent so thought I would give it a shot.

I'm looking at a flight out of Ft. Lauderdale at 1:00pm

Previous experience - memory - we were off the ship early - even given our afternoon flight time and sat in the airport - which is no big deal. I have no problem with that.

I guess I should have & will check out the website for Oasis and see what docking and disembark time is.

I threw out a question with not enough info for all of you to help me with...I realize this.

and yes I should have did a search on here before I opened a new thread.

Here is a thought if you are bored with seeing this question - skip it - no need to reply with a complaint or a thought of your "quick-wit" - move on ya know. I'm not one who lives my whole day on the board.

Not that no one does it, but I've yet to see one of these queries indicating that the poster had looked into the consequences if they miss their flight (rebooking fees, hotel costs if no other flight is available that day; any increse in fares for a later flight is hard to determine precisely in advance).

Kathy,

Don't take it personal. I just dont understand when someone complains about the same old questions asked, then they really should just skip the post.

But people just aren't happy unless they have someone or something to complain about.

There are many other people that will be more than happy to try to answer your question with what they have experienced.

As far as your question, you might want to see the times that RCCL recommends for flights after the cruise. Happy cruising.

Dawn

As far as your question, you might want to see the times that RCCL recommends for flights after the cruise. Happy cruising.

Dawn

This idea was first suggested to OP in post #3. Apparently, she would rather complain than do a little research.

6rugrats,

I think the way some people ( just a small amount of people) reply to questions, can either be rude or just be a smart mouth. All I am saying is if anyone is sick of a question on the boards , pass by it.

And just a quick reply is all that is needed.

Dawn

Booked an 11:00 flight at FLL on SW. im' coming from MIA. Going to change my flight to mid-afternoon, after reading recommendations from CC, and after reading SW guidelines that suggest for cruise passengers arriving in port to arrive at FLL and MIA three hours before flight!!! What was I thinking!!!

Okay...I have never done the airfare myself...always booked thru travel agent so thought I would give it a shot.

I'm looking at a flight out of Ft. Lauderdale at 1:00pm

Previous experience - memory - we were off the ship early - even given our afternoon flight time and sat in the airport - which is no big deal. I have no problem with that.

I guess I should have & will check out the website for Oasis and see what docking and disembark time is.

A 1pm flight from FLL when sailing from Port Everglades will be more than enough time.

As to a flight before noon, it would depend on how much before noon you are looking at.

6rugrats,

I think the way some people ( just a small amount of people) reply to questions, can either be rude or just be a smart mouth. All I am saying is if anyone is sick of a question on the boards , pass by it.

And just a quick reply is all that is needed.

Dawn

-Well, you could just ignore the responses you don't like rather than responding to them.

-OP is asking for free advice from strangers. They can certainly easily ignore any responses they don't find useful.

If one looked at historical data over the past year, say, one could construct a probability distribution that relates the chance of making a flight as a function of airline departure time. However, while the cruise lines likely have (or at least should have) this information, it is not publicly available. (If it were available, everyone could make their own tradeoffs based on their tolerance for risk.) Royal Caribbean has at least constructed a simple model to answer this question. Using your ship and dates, they suggest booking a return flight no earlier than 11:30 am from FLL. Of course, even at this time, there is no rock-solid guarantee that you will make this flight. RCCL does not supply the exact odds of doing so, but one hopes that you should have odds that are close to 100%.

Hmm....probably should take bets as to when this same question will come up again and the poster thinks the already posted answers applies to everyone else but them. What do you think - 6 hours or less?

Go ahead and book a flight at 9am......why bother paying any attention to the recommendations of your cruiseline. Heck....they only sail in to that port every week; what do they know.

Let me guess....there is a good price on an early flight and you want some guarantee that it will be OK? Or you don't want to get home late at night? At least you are asking before buying a ticket.

Personally, I take the guideline from the cruiseline and ask myself "Is there some reason I should disregard this?". Then I go forward. And tell myself that there are economic tradeoffs all the time (thank you, Mr. Mankiew) and I have to make a decision on allocation of resources (time, capital, energy).

Finally, you will be joining 5000 of your newest and closest friends in making your way to the airport and your flight. And that doesn't count any other ships in port.

Okay, so jump on down my throat too - where does one find this golden info from the cruise line? Just spent a great deal of time on RCI's site (because of the above advice). Just don't see it!

Okay, so jump on down my throat too - where does one find this golden info from the cruise line? Just spent a great deal of time on RCI's site (because of the above advice). Just don't see it!

Look at post #20.

If one looked at historical data over the past year, say, one could construct a probability distribution that relates the chance of making a flight as a function of airline departure time. However, while the cruise lines likely have (or at least should have) this information, it is not publicly available. (If it were available, everyone could make their own tradeoffs based on their tolerance for risk.) Royal Caribbean has at least constructed a simple model to answer this question. Using your ship and dates, they suggest booking a return flight no earlier than 11:30 am from FLL. Of course, even at this time, there is no rock-solid guarantee that you will make this flight. RCCL does not supply the exact odds of doing so, but one hopes that you should have odds that are close to 100%.

Thank you- don't know how I missed that. The link was exactly what I was looking for. Surprisingly, they say we could book as early as 10 AM from Barcelona. That opens up more air options for us ( but will try for early noon).

Thank you- don't know how I missed that. The link was exactly what I was looking for. Surprisingly, they say we could book as early as 10 AM from Barcelona. That opens up more air options for us ( but will try for early noon).

It's funny you mention Barcelona because that one is always full of contention on the Spain Ports of Call Board. Some people say book early and others like me do not recommend that.

I would not book a 10:00 AM flight from Barcelona. If it involves an international flight you need to check in at least 2 hours prior to the flight.

I am a believer that if something can go wrong many times it will go wrong, so if it was me I would book a flight closer to Noon as I do not believe in spending part of the cruise worrying about it. To me too many things can go wrong that can delay your disembarkation. In the end, if for whatever reason you are late arriving to the port, can't find one or more pieces of luggage or whatever the cruise line won't take any responsbility for your missed flight.

So, my recommendation is to find a flight that leaves around Noon. Yes, that will narrow down your choices and yes you will find several people who disagree, but that is what we do and I have been to Barcelona many times over the years.

Keith

Archived