First time as a paying passenger on a cruise ship

moggi1964

So I finally gave up my life as a serial stowaway and figured I would pay for once :eek:

Seriously though, I worked on cruise ships from 81 - 83 and now for the first time I am considering a cruise with my family.

I have two options:

NCL Gem from NY to Florida/Bahamas or

HAL Eurodam from FL to Caribbean

Sailing over Thanksgiving.

So, here is my dilemma:

We live less than an hour from NYC so convenience favors the Gem.

I am a big fan of the traditional style of cruising (dressing for dinner and a more relaxing experience than a Club Med) which seems to favor the Eurodam.

We are two forty something adults who have a 9 year old son. All of us can self-entertain (avid readers and the boy doesn't need to be attached to any kind of media).

We enjoy fine food (all of us; son loves Curry/Mussels/real food) and wine.

We have a budget that stretches to an oceanview cabin and air miles would pay for us to go to FL.

I just want to be sure that the Eurodam would provide sufficient entertainment for a 9 year old that my wife and I could get some needed 'together time' without our son running back and saying "I'm bored".

As you can see, I am veering towards the HAL cruise (heck, I posted in the HAL section) but your honest and unbiased opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I would think that your son would be so busy exploring the ship that he wouldn't have time to be bored. (My sister has four girls, all grown. When they said 'Mommy, I'm bored', her stock reply was 'Clean your room!") From what I have read here, it is always best to attend the initial meeting of the kids club so that he gets to meet other kids...and it being a holiday cruise, there will be some. Compared to the ships you sailed in 81-83, the Eurodam would be HUGE. Think how big and wonderful it is going to seem to your son? EM

Eurodam would be a great ship for both you and your son. Please ignore any negativity from those who will try to steer you elsewhere due to their personal preferences regarding kids on board.

I highly recommend HAL for the traditional cruising experience you desire and your son will be very welcome and find lots of activities that he will enjoy.

Have a fabulous cruise!

I am not sure how many unbiased opinions you will get from this site. A lot of us are hard core HAL fans. That aside sounds like HAL is your best fit for you. As for your 9 year old..they have club HAL and being younger your child would probably get a lot of attention from the workers as many of them are parents.

Leaving from NY not only would be colder which when my kids were that age hated to bundle up but choppier. Your 9 year old might not have sea legs like you do. I still remember how awful I felt when our 18 year old on her first cruise was feeling a bit off. It only lasted for the evening but we were leaving from Ft. Lauderdale and it was not choppy. JMHO :)

I seriously doubt that a 9 y.o. on his first ship will be bored, particularly over Thanksgiving when there will be many other kids around. There are DVD players in every cabin, and a good list of titles available in the library in case there are some slack periods. Plus there's lots of video games in Club HAL, and if you're willing to pay the price there's always the internet for amusement!

OP, yours is an easy question. Eurodam! Use your miles, go down a day ahead, get a moderate priced hotel which can shuttle you to the pier for free.

Ft. Lauderdale departure puts your entire cruise in warm weather. No rough days out of New York.

Eurodam is a marvelous ship. Your son will have a wonderful time discovering her.

I hope you have a delightful time.

Since flying to Fla is an option, I would go on the Eurodam. You will have the vacation you want, all in warm weather, and your son will find lots to do on a vacation week since there will be lots of kids. Definitely leave one day, maybe even two earlier to allow for flight delays and cancellations, and don't miss lunch and dinner at the wonderful Tamarind restaurant.

I vote Eurodam too.

I also live close to NYC (heck I work there) but the itineraries and ships from NY don't interest me - except for Bermuda.... oops going off topic.

Your son with have a great cruise - and you will too. Enjoy!

To the first respondent: are you for real? :rolleyes: I asked for cruising advice and you give me parenting advice; are you so familiar with how my family works that you feel qualified to do that? Are you even on the right Forum? :D

Actually, I have just re-read my initial post and I should probably have said:

"I just want to be sure that the Eurodam would provide sufficient SUPERVISED entertainment for a 9 year old that my wife and I could get some needed 'together time' without our son running back and saying "I'm bored".

Thanks, everyone else.

I have seen misrepresentation of facilities in brochures and wanted the personal insight of people who have actually been on the ship; I am grateful for finding this Forum as I feel I now have that.

It didn't occur to me that this vessel would be so much larger than the "Sun" (she was 20k tonnes) and so there would be huge fun for him and I to explore. I am hoping if I take my Seaman's Papers I may get to go below decks and show him the engine room too.

I like the idea of the entire trip being in the warm weather, another thing that had not occurred to me.

Oh, matondo, believe it or not I get seasick when the weather gets choppy even after spending three years at sea (I never got sick on a cruise ship but did get sick on the SS Uganda when we went to the Falkland Islands as a troop ferry). So I am always happy to avoid rough seas :o

So I am off to look at hotels in the vicinity of the pier and will check back in here when plans are firmed up. I want my wife to read about both options and then provide her input as to which she would prefer and then we can make a booking.

Cheers!

To the first respondent: are you for real? :rolleyes: I asked for cruising advice and you give me parenting advice; are you so familiar with how my family works that you feel qualified to do that? Are you even on the right Forum? :D

"I just want to be sure that the Eurodam would provide sufficient SUPERVISED entertainment for a 9 year old that my wife and I could get some needed 'together time' without our son running back and saying "I'm bored".

Thanks, everyone else.

I have seen misrepresentation of facilities in brochures and wanted the personal insight of people who have actually been on the ship; I am grateful for finding this Forum as I feel I now have that.

It didn't occur to me that this vessel would be so much larger than the "Sun" (she was 20k tonnes) and so there would be huge fun for him and I to explore. I am hoping if I take my Seaman's Papers I may get to go below decks and show him the engine room too.

I like the idea of the entire trip being in the warm weather, another thing that had not occurred to me.

Oh, matondo, believe it or not I get seasick when the weather gets choppy even after spending three years at sea (I never got sick on a cruise ship but did get sick on the SS Uganda when we went to the Falkland Islands as a troop ferry). So I am always happy to avoid rough seas :o

So I am off to look at hotels in the vicinity of the pier and will check back in here when plans are firmed up. I want my wife to read about both options and then provide her input as to which she would prefer and then we can make a booking.

Cheers!

Sometimes some of our response can come off as being rather negative. For that I apologize!!

Since you now look like you will be choosing the Eurodam, might I suggest that you look into booking an on board Tour of the Ship for your son and yourself?? I am not sure if your wife would be interested, but think you and your son would love it.

I read about it yesterday in a review of the Zuiderdam the review is here (near the end of first Post by mrspeck (the OP): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1292856

I believe the cost mentioned was $150.00 and lasts for approximately 3 hours. It includes lengthy (sounded lengthy) and very descriptive tours of the Galley, Bridge and I believe Engineering, amongst other places on the ships. A real Behind the scenes tour. And after the tour you receive some books and other goodies:)

I am going to pray this tour is also available on the Niew Amsterdam next month and take it if possible. Hubby is not interested, but I am!!

Anyway, I think your son, you and your wife will really enjoy the Eurodam and everything about the ship. He, your son sounds like an extremely self sufficient and great kid!! The Club HAL has so much to offer and, though I have not had the need to use it (my child is 38 *Grin*) I have heard nothing but great reports and testimonials from the kids I have talked to who have used it, 8-15 year old.

Joanie

Hey Moggi...sounds like you are a Brit

The answer given by TVDad was a brill one for you and answered all your

queries.

As another poster said,any negative thoughts about kids are given by people with a hidden agenda,i.e. WE don't want kids on board.!

The Eurodam will be perfect for all of you;just beware it MAY be a bit bouncy going thro' the Bahama channel,but that doesn't last too long.

Bon Voyage!!:p

My friend, be grateful for the first response. It stimulated a lively discussion.

The choice of cruise lines really is largely a matter of personal taste. There is a time in life for lobster and prime rib, and there are times when it takes a bowl of oatmeal to get the job done.

You family will be just fine on HAL. We will be cruising on the Westerdam over Thanksgiving and expect to see a lot of families. The ship is actually geared to families, young and old as opposed to the "booze cruise and vomit party" offered elsewhere.

This cruise to the Carribean can be a very important part of the youngster's education. There is a good bit of history to be learned and a whole lot of fun to be had.

The word "boredom" is rarely heard on any cruise ship. There is always something going on.

Eurodam would be a great ship for both you and your son. Please ignore any negativity from those who will try to steer you elsewhere due to their personal preferences regarding kids on board.

I highly recommend HAL for the traditional cruising experience you desire and your son will be very welcome and find lots of activities that he will enjoy.

Have a fabulous cruise!

I just want to be sure that the Eurodam would provide sufficient entertainment for a 9 year old that my wife and I could get some needed 'together time' without our son running back and saying "I'm bored".

Let me be the first to bash the poster who was so critical of your question about a nine year old being bored. It's a legitimate question and here is the answer. Your nine year old son will not be bored. There is lots to do on a HAL cruise. The kids club is wonderful! Your problem may be tearing him away from his new found friends to spend some family time! Trust me. I'm a dad and I've been there :)

I recommend HAL over NCL because your entire vacation is in a warm climate. The New York cruise will have two to three very chilly days at sea! If you leave from Florida, you can be in your bathing suits before lifeboat drill!

Since you are going over Thanksgiving, you do not have to worry about a lack of potential playmates for your son. There will be a lot of kids.

Finally (and here's the bashing part) when a nine year old child says he's bored, it might not mean he's bored. It might mean he's shy, scared, intimidated, unsure of himself in a new surrounding, or hasn't found a new friend to hang with yet.

So don't blame a child for saying he's bored! These are also feelings adults may have when they go on a cruise by themselves. Lighten up! Okay, I'm done bashing! :D

Enjoy your cruise

First of all: Welcome to Cruise Critic! I agree with both of these posters! Forget the naysayers! We do not agree with the poster who is lecturing you..

Take the Eurodam, your Son & you & your wife will thoroughly enjoy it..Since you like to read, spend time out on the Promenade Deck reading, watching the sea & meeting others who also enjoy relaxing while your Son is spending time in HAL's Kids club with others his age..

Enjoy your cruise & please come back & tell us how you all enjoyed it..

Cheers.....:)Betty

Or maybe shouldn't have asked for honest opinions in your initial post. ;)

Count me among the group that thinks there'll be enough things to do & see for a first time young cruisers to keep them occupied. Happy sails!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Ignore the parenting advice ... it's usually doled out by the self-proclaimed experts who are clueless.

As far as the phrase "I'm bored," I've heard that for years -- when I was a teacher, when I had young children of my own, etc. I never consulted books to determine the psychological implications of the words! :rolleyes:

I think you will have a great time on the Eurodam - and in Fort Lauderdale, before you sail!!! My children - though grown up now - love HAL, and my little grandson will be sailing on HAL some future day.

So my wife is going to check tomorrow that she can get the 19th off so we can fly early afternoon that day.

We will also be staying over on the night of the 27th so that means we will have a day in FL.

I am betting that San Juan and St Thomas have changed a bit since I was there last but am hoping that a small restaurant I used to eat at is still there close to the dock in SJ; not to eat there but just to show it to my family.

Thanks.

Eurodam, hands down.

Your son will spend lots of time in the kids club, giving you lots of 'together' time. :) Over Thanksgiving, there will be many families with children aboard, meaning more activities for the kids, and more kids to make friends with. Eurodam will also have an extensive library of books, DVDs, puzzles and games.

I have been cruising HAL since my mid-30s, and your tastes sound a lot like mine. You will love HAL.

Eurodam is also a new ship, and it's lovely. Try the Pinnacle and the Tamarind. :)

Cheers!

Take a look through the departures boards (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495) for hotel advice. I have learned lots there.

From reading this thread it sounds as if someone had a strong 'kid' response. Now what's interesting is that his/her response doesn't show up for me so one of two things probably happened.

1) The Hosts must have removed the response. If you look at the line at the top of every response (that has the time and date on it), at the far right is a little caution symbol. If you find a response unacceptable you can click that caution symbol and the hosts will look at the posting to see if it's appropriate.

2) The person who responded to you first may be on my blocked list. It's possible to eliminate seeing posts by people who are irritating. All you have to do is go to the top of your screen, and look at the yellow line under the Cruise Critic banner. In the left corner is the "User CP" option. Click on it, it's your own personal control panel. Once you're on your control panel screen you can scroll down a little bit, and on the left side is the option to ignore people.

Just a comment, there's always the chance your child may not like the kids club. I sailed with a 12-year-old niece who thought the club was boring and refused to go back after day one. Take a look at the amenities on both ships to see what else he'd enjoy doing if it turns out he doesn't want to participate once you're onboard.

Of course posting on the HAL board you will get a very biased opinion. I love the Eurodam and love HAL but....while I have not been on the Gem I have been on the Pearl her sister ship and must say I loved the Pearl. I think the things you are looking for can be found on both ships. But on the Gem you will need to go to the Speciality restaurants such as Le Bistro (which by the way exceeds HAL in my opinion for dining) If you are a Spa person and like Thermal Suites the Gem's also is a bit superior to HAL's as well as the entertainment. Both have excellent children's programs but NCL tends to have an edge here because it tends to have more children year round so the crew are good at what they do. HAL does not always have a large amount of children so for the Holiday sailings they will bring in extra crew to help accommodate the additional children and these crew will often be new or temps that do not always work in this area.

I will say that in my opinion HAL has a much better itinerary, but then I am not a big Bahamas fan. But with that being said I often pick a cruise for the ship not the itinerary because to me the ship is the destination.;)

You did not mention the type of cabin category you are interested in. If you are looking at Full Suites then the Gem is definitely the way to go, if you are looking at Balcony or lower then HAL has much better cabins. Both have their pros and cons and over on the NCL board you will hear more favoring NCL. To me it would be a toss up and I can see where the convenience could weigh out.

From reading this thread it sounds as if someone had a strong 'kid' response. Now what's interesting is that his/her response doesn't show up for me so one of two things probably happened.

1) The Hosts must have removed the response. If you look at the line at the top of every response (that has the time and date on it), at the far right is a little caution symbol. If you find a response unacceptable you can click that caution symbol and the hosts will look at the posting to see if it's appropriate.

2) The person who responded to you first may be on my blocked list. It's possible to eliminate seeing posts by people who are irritating. All you have to do is go to the top of your screen, and look at the yellow line under the Cruise Critic banner. In the left corner is the "User CP" option. Click on it, it's your own personal control panel. Once you're on your control panel screen you can scroll down a little bit, and on the left side is the option to ignore people.

Since I don't see the offensive posts either [there were two from the same poster] then my guess is Door Number One. ;)

Of course posting on the HAL board you will get a very biased opinion. I love the Eurodam and love HAL but....while I have not been on the Gem I have been on the Pearl her sister ship and must say I loved the Pearl. I think the things you are looking for can be found on both ships. But on the Gem you will need to go to the Speciality restaurants such as Le Bistro (which by the way exceeds HAL in my opinion for dining) If you are a Spa person and like Thermal Suites the Gem's also is a bit superior to HAL's as well as the entertainment. Both have excellent children's programs but NCL tends to have an edge here because it tends to have more children year round so the crew are good at what they do. HAL does not always have a large amount of children so for the Holiday sailings they will bring in extra crew to help accommodate the additional children and these crew will often be new or temps that do not always work in this area.

I will say that in my opinion HAL has a much better itinerary, but then I am not a big Bahamas fan. But with that being said I often pick a cruise for the ship not the itinerary because to me the ship is the destination.;)

You did not mention the type of cabin category you are interested in. If you are looking at Full Suites then the Gem is definitely the way to go, if you are looking at Balcony or lower then HAL has much better cabins. Both have their pros and cons and over on the NCL board you will hear more favoring NCL. To me it would be a toss up and I can see where the convenience could weigh out.

Lisa, in the next to last paragraph, the OP said his budget will cover an Ocean-view & he says they enjoy traditional style of cruising, including dressing for dinner...

Based on that & the Eurodam's itinerary plus the fact that it will still be warm in Fla over Thanksgiving, I too would opt for HAL, as those cabins are larger than NCL's..

Cheers....:)Betty

I wouldn't say a "strong 'kid' response". No sense fanning those flames. ;) I would say that her responses didn't add anything to the discussion.

Archived