Alternate restaurant reservation policy on Marina

wripro

What aft-facing PH3's on Deck 7?

We were told formally (in writing) a few days ago by several people (direct with Oceania, two people) and through our travel agent who also checked on this with her sources, that the aft-most PH3 cabins do not have aft-facing (wake-facing) balconies, but have a view entirely to the side, and that there is no curvature or anything else that would enable even a partial view toward the wake.

100% to the side is what we were told.

The stateroom numbers are 7130 and 7135.

If those balconies were to face the wake, surely they would be PH1 or PH2, not PH3.

Maybe the entire stern balcony (not just a small portion, as someone mentioned before) will be available to all passengers to view the wake.

You are entirely correct...when looking out from inside the stateroom it will be a side view. However, the balcony does wrap-around to the aft and it certainly does seem like there will be access to that portion by 7130 and 7135 as a private veranda and if so, 7130 and 7135 will have an aft facing view from there.

In the “Things I Wonder About the Marina” thread there was discussion about whether or not there was a public accessible area on deck 7. Sharicruz wrote the following as clarification she received:

"This is the information I just received directly from Oceania....

As you can see from the blueprint attached, there is an accessible deck that is reached via the doors at the end of the port and stbd passenger companionways. The deck is a slender section in the very aft center of the ship. There are solid steel bulkheads to either side of that, so the verandas for PHs 7130 and 7135 are private.

The fore/aft bulkheads on the verandas of 7130 and 7135 are windbreaks to keep the wind from whipping around the corner and disturbing the guests."

The first picture of the article clearly shows the aft of the Marina and what Shari speaks to:

http://www.oceaniacruisesblog.com/taste/2010/09/marina-goes-to-sea-for-the-first-time.html

Certainly, as this thread shows no one claims to empirically “know” what the final Marina product will turn out like…until such time that the first reports start coming in from the Inaugural cruise. In the meantime, I’ll stick with my own reasons for choosing that particular location…and continue to look forward to the 29 days I’ll get to spend there. :D

Kathleen

Maybe I am overly sensitive to the thought of someone who books a higher class cabin is somehow in their own mind better than the rest of of us. I am not saying anyone says that but to read some of these comments one can't help but wonder. Some went so far as to say they actually booked a higher level of cabin just to get additional reservations, if that is the case I find that funny as they are paying a huge premium for that privilege. As my comments said, it is another perspective. At the end of the day I don't care who books what.

Kirk

I haven't read any comments that sound like anyone thinks they are better than anyone else for booking suites. What I have read indicates that some people booked more expensive cabins on the Marina because those cabins have been marketed to include certain perks that matter to the people who booked them! Those people had good reason to believe that they would get more reservations. It is established policy on Oceania and it is on the website.

In fact, your comment seems to be directed at people in the lowest level of suites, because those in the most expensive suites are apparently going to still get to dine at least twice as often as the "middle class" suite occupants.

I think the issue is that people should get what they pay for, or else the price should be reduced.

On the smaller ships, Oceania differentiated between the balcony cabins - level A and B by giving the extra reservations to the level A and not B, calling A a concierge level and charging several hundred dollars more. That brought in extra revenue for a cabin that was the same size and now that there are refrigerators in level B as well, has the same amenities. Obviously, those same extra dining privileges needed to go to those with PH and higher as well. On Marina, there is not the need for that as that the cabins are successively larger and balconies are added as the categories progress, so you are getting better accommodations for the higher price, so they don't need the inclusion of extra reservations to sell their common category type. Also, there are many more passengers and although there are twice as many restaurants, they probably don't have enough seats to allow that privilege like they do on the smaller ships. It is a source of disappointment, as the many pages on this thread show, but there are give and takes on everything. If you want four reservations on the Marina you get it, as there are four restaurants. If you want four reservations on the other ships, you only get it if you take a concierge level room.

If all you want for dining is specialty restaurants and that is your priority, you can take a cruise on ships that charge for the restaurants, so there is tons of availability. That is the beauty of cruising - there are so many choices. Getting angry at Oceania because the logistics of a new ship does not allow the same privileges as an older ship is certainly your right, but when you examine what goes into the decision, it is an understandable change.

On the smaller ships, Oceania differentiated between the balcony cabins - level A and B by giving the extra reservations to the level A and not B, calling A a concierge level and charging several hundred dollars more. That brought in extra revenue for a cabin that was the same size and now that there are refrigerators in level B as well, has the same amenities. Obviously, those same extra dining privileges needed to go to those with PH and higher as well. On Marina, there is not the need for that as that the cabins are successively larger and balconies are added as the categories progress, so you are getting better accommodations for the higher price, so they don't need the inclusion of extra reservations to sell their common category type. Also, there are many more passengers and although there are twice as many restaurants, they probably don't have enough seats to allow that privilege like they do on the smaller ships. It is a source of disappointment, as the many pages on this thread show, but there are give and takes on everything. If you want four reservations on the Marina you get it, as there are four restaurants. If you want four reservations on the other ships, you only get it if you take a concierge level room.

If all you want for dining is specialty restaurants and that is your priority, you can take a cruise on ships that charge for the restaurants, so there is tons of availability. That is the beauty of cruising - there are so many choices. Getting angry at Oceania because the logistics of a new ship does not allow the same privileges as an older ship is certainly your right, but when you examine what goes into the decision, it is an understandable change.

Bonita, I agree with you. We are in a B cat. on the Maiden Voyage and will be again in January, 2012. We are also on a Regatta, Alaska, summer of 2011. We will have four reservations on both Marina cruises and two on Regatta. Last January we were in cat. A for the Panama Crossing and had four reservations because it was a conceirge level. Before that one, we were in a PH. There is so much more than the specialty restaurants on Oceania. I really enjoyed Toscana and Polo and look forward to the new restaurants on Marina, however, we cruise with Oceania for more reasons than dining. If "Marina" decided that Cat B and lower only had two choices, we would still be going.

If people who booked a PH level were told they would get double specialty reservations (by whom?) and now have had them taken away, I think they have a right to be angry. If it were assumed based on the smaller ships, then assumptions are often wrong.

I would be among the disspointed if we had booked a PH, BTW, and had assumed......but did not know.

Flow, as in go with.

Lynne

...If people who booked a PH level were told they would get double specialty reservations (by whom?) and now have had them taken away, I think they have a right to be angry. If it were assumed based on the smaller ships, then assumptions are often wrong.

This gets right to the heart of the matter. Everyone knows someone who was told by a real estate agent, "No one will ever build behind you (or across or next to you)". Anyone who made their decision about a booking on Marina based on what a travel agent told you, or even based on what a clerk at Oceania told you, has nothing on which to rely. This is a new ship, and the information was simply not available!

Common sense and basic math should indicate that if you nearly double the number of passengers, and double the number of seats in all the alternative restaurants combined, that you must end up with the same number of total alternative reservations as before. Half the ship got two total reservations on the older ships and half got four total reservations; that's all one could expect from the new plan. If Oceania had decided to double the size of Polo and Toscana to accommodate the higher number of passengers, this discussion would never have arisen. Because they chose to double the number of restaurants instead, somehow people think they can squeeze double reservations as well as double passengers into the space. Probably not gonna happen.

However, that would mean that those in Category B and below would have to pick which two of the four restaurants they wanted to try. What has happened is that those in Concierge and Penthouse have lost nothing -- they had four total reservations before, they have four total reservations now. But, those in the lower categories also now have four total, and those in the three most expensive categories, a total of fewer than 20 suites, got a total of eight -- which they probably won't use.

What this means to the bottom line is that no one got cheated, some got a fair shake at trying all four restaurants, and those who pay an extremely high fare got tossed a bone. Because of the extra reservations for the lower categories, it also means that it's probable that there will be fewer extra reservations available for anyone, unless they start to rush people through their meals -- and I bet that ain't gonna happen, either.

Making a decision that costs hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars based on something that has a market value of around $15 to $30 on other ships, is not what I would call the best rationale, but each to their own.

Benita:

According to the O website both A and B cabins on the Marina are the same size, 282 sq ft. Am I missing something?

I was talking about the A and B cabins on the three other ships. They are identical in size, but the A comes with concierge privileges (double reservations) and the B cabin does not. Giving the second reservation was a clever way to charge more for the same cabin. On the Marina, that is not necessary as the more expensive cabins are larger- if there is differences in prices in the same size cabin on the Marina, it is because of location, not extra dinner reservations.

Getting angry at Oceania because the logistics of a new ship does not allow the same privileges as an older ship is certainly your right, but when you examine what goes into the decision, it is an understandable change.

I for one am not "angry". I doubt if others are. I am annoyed that this change in policy was not disclosed, evidently not even formulated, until this late date. Certainly the number of passengers, the number of restaurants or the cabin levels were not a secret.

Had the new policy been disclosed we might have looked a little harder at the Oceania cabins. The number of reservations is important to us especially as our booking is for a transatlantic (maiden voyage) where meals, I anticipate, will be a highlight of the day.

I am annoyed that this change in policy was not disclosed, evidently not even formulated, until this late date. Certainly the number of passengers, the number of restaurants or the cabin levels were not a secret.

To me this is the heart of the matter.

Oceania goofed. To err is human and they did. Now they should own up to it.

It was not thought through completely. The management apparently thought other matters were more important but as this discussion shows, specialty restaurants on Oceania are very important to many of us (especially on a TA crossing).

The numbers were known to the management (for both of the cabins and for the restaurants) and they should have formulated a plan based on those figures.

I understand that there are too many PHs and CCs on the Marina to keep the old policy in place, but the management should have seen that too.

There was ample time while we all anxiously awaited the arrival of Marina (months and months).

I think Oceania explicitly did not disclose this policy until now exactly because they knew it would cause disappointment and anger among those who have booked PHs.

This is not about anyone thinking they are better. It's about getting what you pay for, or think you're paying for.

As I have said perviously, and others agree, the amount of alternate restaurant spots available should have been taken into consideration when planning the ship. There need to be MANY reasons for paying so much extra for a PH, not just the larger size, and one of the main ones for me was the extra reservations. They have miscalculated imo that people will just let it go.

I am not angry. Just wondering about the logistics of the PH cabins on the Marina.

As Paulchili says, its apparent that the 4 restaurants will not be able to accommadate double reservations for the PH catagory due to sheer numbers. To me, I believe that it will be equally improbable for inroom dining to logistically happen ESPECIALLY if the PH cabins cannot make double the reservations.

I understand that the Marina is an 'unknown' at this time, however, I imagine that management must have some specific ideas as to whether or not in room dining is going to be possible. They prevaricated on the number of reservations allowed to a PH cabin, --I believe Jancruz was first told one thing, that was posted on her thread for a specific cruise date, and then the written statement from management posted here is the complete opposite.

I am not basing my decision from information gathered from a travel agent, I am trying to base my decision based on documented information regarding the Marina from Oceania itself as supplied through Jancruz, which appears to be a reliable source.

When I booked my cabin, it made sense to me - a great location 7130- aft cabin with hopefully an aft deck, certainly a larger deck then the other PH's, and we prefer aft. The extra space so we could dine in breakfast in the morning, and have a few romantic dinners at night (remember, its our 20 anniversary cruise, so couple time is important to us!) Another factor was having the butler and concierge to help book the cooking classes - something that my Husband will love, and its a priority. Food is also a priority, and having the opportunity to dine more then once in the specialty restaurants was a big perk for me. When I added all these factors together, it made it worth it to ME to spend the extra money for the PH cabins.

Now we know that specialty restaurants perk that was assumed (ok, I know, I know, assuming makes an donkey out of you and me) is in fact, NOT available to PH cabins. As I said, fine, I can work around it using in room dining, and I think that it would still be worth it to ME for the extra money. However, if in room dining is not available, or only from the MDR, then I do believe the PH cabin is not giving ME the value for the money. Great aft locations can be had in other catagories, I can choose concierge level or not, I am trying to ascertain the facts so I can easily change my choice while my cruise dates have such great availabilty.

Perks and benefits for each of the concierge cabin types should be available to customers to make decisions on what works best for them. By leaving the website out of date, it allows Oceania to do a 'sweet sale' on the PH cabins, as the perks are DEFINITELY different then what is listed on the website. Double the number of specialty restaurant reservations is a factor for some people when choosing a cabin, some may book and be disappointed when they find out the information is out of date or incorrect regarding the Marina. I imagine that like many people, not having this perk is not reason alone to book or not book a PH cabin, its just ONE factor.

However, to quote hondorner "information is simply not available...." This ship is sailing in a little over 2 months, certainly management must have a fair idea of what level of service is going to be provided for the many PH cabins on board the Marina. If customers are wanting to make an informed decision on the best cabin catagory for themselves, I do not think it unreasonable to request accurate information from OCEANIA.

Is there going to be butler service for these cabins? Will in room dining be available for the PH cabins? Will in room dining from the specialty restaurants be available for these cabins? These are things I wish to know about PH cabins. For someone else, it may be different factors. IMHO - its not unreasonable for customers to ask these questions, and get some sort of answer from management.

Oceania must know how many butlers are going to be on staff on the Marina. The must be able to calculate the logistics of butlers serving the PH cabins for inroom dining, and they most likely know what the answer is to my question. However, they may not want to tell the customer this information, because, like the number of dining reservations, this may or may not influence people to book these cabins if its a negative.

The subtle nuances of the ship and staff I am content to wait and read trip reports after the ship has sailed. Perhaps specialty restaurants will frequently be available for second reservations through the butlers, perhaps in room dining will be very slow or limited because of the sheer number of rooms and not desirable on the Marina. These are unknown quantities (and there are many more I am sure) and I certainly agree that "the information is simply not available'.

However, cabin catagory information regarding inclusions for said cabins SHOULD be readly available information. (Hondorner, I am politely disagreeing with you - forgive me, this is just my opinion). This information should be up on the website. And most certainly, Oceania should have a clear idea of what the PH perks are, and have them listed accurately on the website. The ship is built. The number of Cabins are known, along with the number of staff that will be on that ship (I mean, they must know how many staff they intend to employ as they would need to have rooms on board for them, right?) To have misleading information on the website is bound to make some people disappointed, especially those who do not do their homework. I believe it would be to Oceania' s advantage to have this information updated on the website. I hope it is forthcoming.

Its always interesting to read and participate in forum boards. The down side is people can interpret posts to be 'angry' or sarcastic', demeaning, or attacking when the post is harmless or misunderstood, or poorly written. I have attempted to make sure my post is none of these things, well, 2 out of three aint bad. (my spelling is always suspect, but my vocabulary is not bad. please note I would have used 'attrocious' instead of suspect, but I suspected I would have spelled it wrong!)

Looking forward to hearing from Jancruz and the powers that be...

EDITED TO ADD, it took me over half an hour to compose this post, and wripro expressed the same sentiments in one paragraph while I was writing this one!

~A

Perhaps the powers that be should go back and take a look at those glossy Marina brochures that have helped to sell the anticipated “experience” to their Oceania following, many of whom have consistently come back to patronize the brand since it’s inception. What I come away with looking at my dog eared copy is that Marina is touted as the next step up in the Oceania experience…not a dilution of it; which at some level this number of reservations issue smacks of.

Dealing with this now, at the eleventh hour so to speak, isn’t setting well with many (for various and valid reasons) which to me, is quite understandable. Hopefully, my affinity for the brand won’t be diluted along with all the suite and concierge level amenities promised in all those glossy brochures.

Kathleen

I still don't understand, and probably never will, how getting four reservations in specialty reservations on Marina is somehow a dilution of getting four specialty restaurant reservations on Regatta, Insignia or Nautica.

Assuming a cruise under 17 days, on the R ships, all suites and the concierge class receive the same number of reservations...two at each venue. On the Marina (at this time), all suites and the concierge class do not receive that same number of reservations of two at each venue...only twenty-three of them do.

While it does not matter to some, it does matter to others.

One thing I can say for certain -- if you cancel, you will not learn about Marina.

On the contrary, if anyone, especially those booked in the categories of cabins most negatively affected, cancels the Marina's first few voyages wherein so much, at this very late date, is apparently still "up in the air," they will learn more about the Marina (without a significant financial investment) and will be better prepared for future voyages on the ship (or might decide that the smaller "R" ships' policies fit them better).

Obviously there have already been enough cancellations of penthouse categories on the first sailings that where we were once very low on the waiting list, we finally "scored one". We felt so fortunate, just like we did when we booked the full cabana package for the Panama Canal voyage (which as you know, was also taken away). I think you clearly do not understand how excited and happy we were to embrace Oceania and to sail with a line totally new to us. Please keep in mind that our homeport of San Francisco has never before been visited by Oceania, and when you sail into San Francisco Bay on February 25, 2011 it will be the very first time any Oceania ship has visited what most of the world always counts among their very favorite cities. We are still booked on a Regatta Alaska voyage, which will also include San Francisco, as well as two other voyages. Does this sound like I am not looking forward to the Oceania experience?

People who wait until after the outcome of the first voyages will be better informed consumers and can decide, based on whatever the future prices for those cabins will be, whether or not the cabin space and whatever amenities ultimately exist in the penthouses is worth the premium. Personally, I hope that there will be more guaranteed reservations in the SR's for the Penthouses, and that we will be informed of that tomorrow or Tuesday.

And the Butler situation, with in suite dining, must, of course, be guaranteed.

I doubt that there are many people who booked the first Marina voyages looking toward the experience as an "educational opportunity". Yes, there are cooking "classes," but they are not included as part of the fare as classes are on at least one of the luxury lines, and at $25 per hour are, in the view of some, more a a revenue generator which takes up space that could be used for oh, I don't know, perhaps another dining spot, maybe spa cuisine?

You have stated before that you booked concierge cabins on Oceania "R" ships not for the space (which you have said does not matter to you) but specifically for the amenities that the concierge cabins gave you, and you mentioned priority boarding, refrigerators, champagne (that you trade for wine), etc., and on March 9th, 2010 you also wrote "We also enjoyed the extra guaranteed reservations in the alternative restaurants". (italics and red mine)

I still don't understand, and probably never will, how getting four reservations in specialty reservations on Marina is somehow a dilution of getting four specialty restaurant reservations on Regatta, Insignia or Nautica.

It is probably because this is a "non-issue" for you - but not so for others.

The "dilution" is based on the wording - the key word being "each restaurant":

Owner's Suite, Vista Suite, Penthouse Suite and Concierge Level Veranda

10-17 Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

18+ Sailing Days: 3 reservations at each restaurant

Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom

10-17 Sailing Days: 1 reservation at each restaurant

18+ Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

(red hilight is mine)

The point is that this implies 2 reservations at EACH specialty restaurants. In case of Marina that would be 8 reservations and not 4 for a 10-17 sailing days in Suites, PH, CC - and so on down the line.

I believe that is the reason for discontent.

We have reservations on three upcoming O cruises. Two are on The R ships. One on Regatta on 9/11/11 and the other on Insignia on 2/7/12. On both of these cruises on the O internet site, you can click manage your cruise and there is an option to make dining reservations. It is interesting that on our upcoming Marina cruise (2/25/11) the option to make dining reservations is not listed.

Folks what am I missing here?

The "R" ships have 684 passengers, MARINA will have 1250.

The "R" ships have 2 specialty restaurants, MARINA will have 4.

If the ratio of passengers to specialty restaurants is the same why was there a need to change the policy at all?

I was comparing ships today... whether it make sense to anyone is another story

I should also mention I was sleep deprived at the time :D

Marina 1258 pax

4 S. restaurants = 480 seats not counting La Reserve or Privee

Allocation for a 2ND reservation is for 58 PAX this is less than 5% of the total PAX

If they add the PH suites to get a 2nd res then it is 304 PAX total = less than 25% total

R-Ships 684 PAX

2 S. Restaurants = 180 seats

Allocation of 2nd reservations is for 338 PAX = approx 49.5% of the total

They do have approx 55% more passenger on Marina than the R ship & 38% more seats in the SR

I do not see why they cannot offer the PH suites a 2nd Res on Marina but as I say it may only make sense to my little brain. ;)

I am sure if someone has a solution the Powers That Be would take note more than just griping about how it is not fair.

Anyone have a solution to the problem:confused:

Lyn

Folks what am I missing here?

The "R" ships have 684 passengers, MARINA will have 1250.

The "R" ships have 2 specialty restaurants, MARINA will have 4.

If the ratio of passengers to specialty restaurants is the same why was there a need to change the policy at all?

I think it is the number of PH and CC cabins on R vs Marina - not just total # of passengers on each class of ships.

I am too lazy to do the math but I believe that is the reason.

Any math majors out there?

PS Cross-posting with Lyn. I am not following that math - draw me a picture :)

I was comparing ships today... whether it make sense to anyone is another story

I should also mention I was sleep deprived at the time :D

Marina 1258 pax

4 S. restaurants = 480 seats not counting La Reserve or Privee

Allocation for a 2ND reservation is for 58 PAX this is less than 5% of the total PAX

If they add the PH suites to get a 2nd res then it is 304 PAX total = less than 25% total

R-Ships 684 PAX

2 S. Restaurants = 180 seats

Allocation of 2nd reservations is for 338 PAX = approx 49.5% of the total

They do have approx 55% more passenger on Marina than the R ship & 38% more seats in the SR

I do not see why they cannot offer the PH suites a 2nd Res on Marina but as I say it may only make sense to my little brain. ;)

I am sure if someone has a solution the Powers That Be would take note more than just griping about how it is not fair.

Anyone have a solution to the problem:confused:

Lyn

I think that Privee and La Reserve ought to be factored into the equation. There is food served there, isn't there?

Oh, by the way, where do you get the numbers of seats for each restaurant?

Archived