Alternate restaurant reservation policy on Marina

wripro

One side question here:

So, for example, when we cruise Marina on our upcoming 16 night cruise, we appartently get 2 reservations in each of four restaurants, correct? So, we have 8 of the 16 nights in specialty restaurants...With late tours in a couple of ports and an overnight in Bordeaux, we may be eating more often in specialty restaurants than in the Main Dining Room! And, we get to reserve these as early as 90 days before the cruise...

Okay...When cruising, my wife and I don't like to dine by ourselves at tables for two...

On past Oceania cruises, we were able to make some dinner appointments for specialty restaurants with "friends" from our cruise critic roll call and reserve together... But I don't recall making these reservations in advance...

We've also met people onboard and agreed to meet at a particular time in the bar outside the MDR in order to get seated there together...

So, logistically, I see some problems...

What if we "meet" people on the roll call and want to reserve a dinner together but we are in a suite (90 days) and they are in a "45 day" situation? Can you reserve a table of 4 or 6 on behalf of the whole party 90 days out?

What if we have reservations made way in advance for a particular night...and later meet someone with a different reservation and want to rearrange to eat together? We actually did this once on Nautica--but it wasn't a big stretch--we had reservations same restaurant, same night an hour apart and somehow they swung it for us...BUT, I don't know if that is typical or unusual...SO, what is everyone else's experience?

I'm usually a big time advance planner on a lot of issues...but somehow not on dining arrangements...I have trouble doing this so far in advance--especially where I don't really know anybody going in and typically make friends on the ship...

Okay...When cruising, my wife and I don't like to dine by ourselves at tables for two...

On past Oceania cruises, we were able to make some dinner appointments for specialty restaurants with "friends" from our cruise critic roll call and reserve together... But I don't recall making these reservations in advance...

You do not need to make reservations in advance. It is your option to do it at a time and in a number that corresponds to the category of cabin that you booked. Not everyone will want to do that. Different strokes for different folks. :)

We've also met people onboard and agreed to meet at a particular time in the bar outside the MDR in order to get seated there together...

That's still possible! People change their specialty reservations on other luxury ships (uh oh, I called Oceania "luxury":)), so I think there will be flexibility. What you might book ahead of time and cancel on the ship will be picked up by someone else during the cruise.

What if we "meet" people on the roll call and want to reserve a dinner together but we are in a suite (90 days) and they are in a "45 day" situation? Can you reserve a table of 4 or 6 on behalf of the whole party 90 days out?

That does not sound as workable to me upfront, seeing as how they should not be able to book earlier than their category allows, but you could reserve a place at a larger table for a certain time (90 days out, if you are in a top suite) at a certain time of evening and then they could reserve a place at a larger table at 45 days out (same time, if possible) and once you are on the ship, you can all arrange to dine together. You aren't reserving a particular table number, but a table size, right?

What if we have reservations made way in advance for a particular night...and later meet someone with a different reservation and want to rearrange to eat together? We actually did this once on Nautica--but it wasn't a big stretch--we had reservations same restaurant, same night an hour apart and somehow they swung it for us...BUT, I don't know if that is typical or unusual...SO, what is everyone else's experience?

I'm usually a big time advance planner on a lot of issues...but somehow not on dining arrangements...I have trouble doing this so far in advance--especially where I don't really know anybody going in and typically make friends on the ship...

If you don't want to plan in advance, and you like to meet up with people on the ship and dine with them, go right ahead. :)

We will probably want to book tables for two in the specialty restaurants in the early part of the cruise (we are Oceania newbies) as we don't know any of you yet, and once we feel more comfortable doing so (or find that we love Tapas or dining in our suite, though the suite part is not likely to be often), we may choose to cancel reservations, too.

Nevertheless, I think it is important that the reservation system—whereby suites get earlier and more reservations—be honored.

Kirk,

You are guaranteed at least 1 reservation at each - the earlier you book online, the more likely it will be the time and date of your choice. I would be surprised if you do not get extra reservations once onboard, if you want some.

Good idea to book early on in the cruise to both restaurants (on R ships) so you will know which one you prefer and where you'd like extra reservation (also you will have more time to get extra reservations if your first meal is early on in the cruise).

Early seatings and sharing tables are easier to get than later tables for 2. I would be equally surprised if you don't love Oceania after your cruise (you may never want to go back to HAL - we didn't)

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for the comments, in hindsight I am probably getting a little too wrapped up in this. We will make reservations when we can before hand and than based on what we like, we may try to get additional reservations once on board. We tend to eat early so that may help and certainly don't mind sharing a table.

Kirk

The advance reservations have been new since the spring as I recall.

We booked tables with others but you need their booking numbers to do them online in advance

We just book our specialty restaurants and if we meet someone we want to eat with on the same night same time we just show up together and ask to sit together ..it worked fine or call the restaurant & ask to set it up ahead of time.

If you are in a suite just tell your butler what you want & they will arrange it

Lyn

The advance reservations have been new since the spring as I recall.

We booked tables with others but you need their booking numbers to do them online in advance

We just book our specialty restaurants and if we meet someone we want to eat with on the same night same time we just show up together and ask to sit together ..it worked fine or call the restaurant & ask to set it up ahead of time.

If you are in a suite just tell your butler what you want & they will arrange it

Lyn

November 2009 Amazon Cruise they began the online dining reservations. Some ran into a snafoo and then were unable to make and/or cancel until they got onboard. I did the same as Lyn with others and we had no problems sitting at the same table.

I have little desire to book ahead, because like Bruin Steve, I have often wanted to reserve with friends I have met on board. Some of my most enjoyable moments on past cruises have been spent in that fashion. In fact, the advance booking throws a monkey wrench into that process, because after I meet someone, I might find that they already have advance reservations on evenings when there is no availability for us to join them.

Another reason is I don't like the idea of trying to decide, 6 or 8 weeks ahead of the cruise, how I will feel about dining on some particular evening. There are special occasions, of curse, and it's nice to be able to predict those ahead of time, but for the most part, I like to wait until we are aboard.

There's no danger of missing an opportunity; a guarantee is a guarantee, and they will always find a way to make sure you get every reservation to which you are entitled, perhaps not at your perfect time, but that matters little to us.

As far as numbers of reservations are concerned, Regent, Oceania's sister cruise line, is a heck of a lot more expensive than Oceania, and is considered a true luxury cruise line, where Oceania is more accurately described as Upper Premium. Yet on Regent, guests may make just one reservation in each alternative restaurant, no matter what their suite level, all the way to the Master Suite. Mariner and Voyager have two alternatives, Navigator only one. Length of cruise or segment also does not affect the reservations, and it is considered difficult to get any additional opportunities. Yet, no one complains or mentions how much they pay.

November, 2009 when online dining debuted, 8 months of emailing roll call friends for tours, onboard parties etc. I was able to make reservations for tables of 8 which included those not in my cabin cat which was concierge. On several ocassions I was able to add a couple to my already reserved table. The staff are always accomodating to me and they have remembered me from previous O cruises (must be my pleasing personality :D) so maybe that was a help. Other roll call members could not get a reservation online and again, all was handled to conclusion onboard.

Jancruz,

Does this mean that if I am in a PH on a 19 day cruise I will be allowed three reservations on each of the restaurants, totaling 12 reservations?

I am getting a revision in writing and will be back with you later today

Jancruz1

I am getting a revision in writing and will be back with you later today

Jancruz1

The guidelines are as follows to make specialty restaurant reservations are as follows:

For the Marina, the specialty restaurant reservation policy is as follows:

Guest in an Owners, Vista, or Oceania Suite receive two reservations per specialty restaurant (Polo Grill, Toscana, Jacques, and Red Ginger); a total of eight reservations.. All other guests receive one reservations per specialty restaurant; a total of four reservations.

1. Bookings must be paid in full

2. Reservations eligibility is based on stateroom category:

Category

Days prior to sailing

OS, VS, & OC

Once full paid in full until 15 days prior to sailing

PH

75 - 15 days prior to sailing

A

60 - 15 days prior to sailing

B - G

45 - 15 days prior to sailing

The website has not been updated yet; it should be done so soon and will then reflect in the FAQ section and already booked section.

Jancruz1

The guidelines are as follows to make specialty restaurant reservations are as follows:

Guest in an Owners, Vista, or Oceania Suite receive two reservations per specialty restaurant (Polo Grill, Toscana, Jacques, and Red Ginger); a total of eight reservations.. All other guests receive one reservations per specialty restaurant; a total of four reservations.

Category

Days prior to sailing

OS, VS, & OC

PH

A

B - G

The website has not been updated yet; it should be done so soon and will then reflect in the FAQ section and already booked section.

Jancruz1

Thanks for your efforts Jan. I certainly hope this policy changes for the better. Although I choose my cabin based on location and feel that is what I pay extra for, the perks seemed to ease the $$ pain. That tote bag and lap throw better be extra special, LOL

Category

Days prior to sailing

OS, VS, & OC

PH

A

B - G

Jancruz1

If the above is true, we are extremely disappointed to learn that Penthouses will receive only one reservation per specialty restaurant, in effect just four evenings in an 18-night cruise.

I could understand a compromise whereby the Penthouses receive two reservations per restaurant instead of the three we initially expected, but to be reduced to only one visit each (at a time chosen by us, and in our case, at a table for two, which we usually book), well, this just doesn't work for us.

We upgraded (at quite an expense) from a perfectly chosen Concierge cabin near the elevators (on the side of the ship we were told was preferred for the itinerary) to a less desirable location (the Penthouse suite, under the Terrace Café) based on our confidence that we would receive more dining reservations.

I doubt that we would be able to get our previous concierge stateroom back now, and if we cannot "downgrade" to that cabin, and since the upgrade price from it to the Penthouse cabin was close to $3,000, we will likely cancel altogether.

Thank you for efforts Jan

I do feel however that this was poorly handled and, to say the least, not well thought out by Oceania. The change in the previous policy should have been stated upfront.

This is not to say we would have changed our booking but I would have liked to have had the information about the PH downgrade at the time of booking. I would have looked a little longer at the O cabins.....................

If the above is true, we are extremely disappointed to learn that Penthouses will receive only one reservation per specialty restaurant, in effect just four evenings in an 18-night cruise.

I could understand a compromise whereby the Penthouses receive two reservations per restaurant instead of the three we initially expected, but to be reduced to only one visit each (at a time chosen by us, and in our case, at a table for two, which we usually book), well, this just doesn't work for us.

We upgraded (at quite an expense) from a perfectly chosen Concierge cabin near the elevators (on the side of the ship we were told was preferred for the itinerary) to a less desirable location (the Penthouse suite, under the Terrace Café) based on our confidence that we would receive more dining reservations.

I doubt that we would be able to get our previous concierge stateroom back now, and if we cannot "downgrade" to that cabin, and since the upgrade price from it to the Penthouse cabin was close to $3,000, we will likely cancel altogether.

I am not sure why one would get so bent out of shape over this so as to consider canceling the cruise...

First, one advance reservation in each of four specialty restaurants is still in line with two on the smaller ships which had only two specialty restaurants...

Second, the Main Dining Room on Oceania is still, in my book, pretty danged good...

Third, just because one only gets four advance reservations does NOT mean one will be limited to eating in the specialty restaurants just four times...there will most likely be many other opportunities to maker later reservations in these...

But, most importantly, aside from the food--which I believe you will find to be quite outstanding throughtout the ship--there are so many other reasons to cruise with Oceania, on the Marina and in that chosen Penthouse cabin...

For me, the reason to have chosen the PH over the Concierge would have been the size of the cabin, not an extra few advance reservations...Of course, for me, the Concierge cabin would likely have been enough in the first place...Actually any cabin on the ship works for me...

If you like the itinerary and the price was something you were willing to pay, you should definitely go through with the cruise...You may just enjoy it...

Thank you for efforts Jan

I do feel however that this was poorly handled and, to say the least, not well thought out by Oceania. The change in the previous policy should have been stated upfront.

This is not to say we would have changed our booking but I would have liked to have had the information about the PH downgrade at the time of booking. I would have looked a little longer at the O cabins.....................

I have to be honest with all of you..We are dealing with a new ship here..a much larger ship than Oceania has had before. The executives are working with so many decisions that I think it is unreasonable to have expected "everything" to be decided in advance. The truth is when you get on board who knows what the policy will be..does everyone like Asian food, steaks, french food?? I for one rarely go to Toscana as I dont like the menu or what they serve. The GDR has fabuous food and I love eating there also.

When Oceania started in business Frank and Bob were changing policies every other day . I think a couple of people on this board have unreasonable expectations for a ship that has only made sea trials.

I for one want the "whole ship experience" and I know Marina will be a great one for me.

Jancruz1

First, one advance reservation in each of four specialty restaurants is still in line with two on the smaller ships which had only two specialty restaurants...

According to what I have read, it is an established policy on Oceania that a cruise that is 18 nights or longer provides penthouse occupants more than 2 specialty restaurant reservations per stateroom. On an 18-night cruise on one of the Regatta-class ships, one would get 3 reservations per specialty restaurant, i.e. six total reservations in the two specialty restaurants.

Second, the Main Dining Room on Oceania is still, in my book, pretty danged good...

Maybe it is, but larger restaurants are usually noisier, and that is a potential problem. I have a soft-spoken husband and I have a hearing loss, so dining at smaller tables in quieter locations works better; nevertheless, we enjoy dining in restaurants rather than in our suite (nearly all the time). My husband strongly prefers tables for two, is much more comfortable at them, and since we started dining at tables for two, he is happier, and that means we can cruise more often.

Third, just because one only gets four advance reservations does NOT mean one will be limited to eating in the specialty restaurants just four times...there will most likely be many other opportunities to maker later reservations in these...

How can we count on that to occur?

For me, the reason to have chosen the PH over the Concierge would have been the size of the cabin, not an extra few advance reservations...Of course, for me, the Concierge cabin would likely have been enough in the first place...Actually any cabin on the ship works for me...

As mentioned earlier, we had a much better cabin location booked before we upgraded to the Penthouse category, and it would have been just fine.

If you like the itinerary and the price was something you were willing to pay, you should definitely go through with the cruise...You may just enjoy it...

The best part about the itinerary is simply that it ends or begins in our home port of San Francisco. We would have happily booked Oceania before 2011 had it embarked or disembarked in San Francisco, or better yet, had there been a round trip. (We have a San Francisco Alaska sailing booked on Oceania, and one on Crystal, too. We love to cruise from San Francisco!)

The price (above concierge cabin) we were willing to pay was based on being able to book more specialty restaurant reservations (table for two preferred), especially because this is likely to be a full ship and further reservations are going to be harder to get, especially for newcomers to Oceania who don't know the system well, don't know anyone onboard, don't know the executives, don't know other passengers.

I would like to add something about the Butlers in the Penthouse Suites to this discussion, because I have read conflicting information about what they can do for a guest. Some say they can help suite guests get additional specialty restaurant reservation restaurants and others say no.

An Oceania rep told me yes, absolutely they can do that..."they can do anything! Your butler can get you extra reservations, etc. and you won't have to go stand in line". Our TA who spoke to her rep at Oceania about this says no, they cannot do it. So....how has that worked for folks in the past? Can we count on our butler to be able to secure additional reservations so we don't have to go down and stand in line to make more reservations?

Jancruz,

Thank you so much for getting a clear explanation on the policy. This is exactly the same information I received when I called Oceania and the reason I started this thread. It is very disappointing that a PH will only get one reservation guaranteed unlike the smaller ships. I thought Marina was supposed to be an improvement. Unlike some others the time I dine is important to me so if the butler can only get an extra reservation at 6:30 it's useless to me as I won't eat at that time.

I understand Marina is a new ship and certain issues are still undecided but this is a core issue which is the main reason I booked a PH. I'm sure the MDR will be lovely but it's a huge venue and I prefer smaller ones.

Anyway, if this policy continues it's the last booking they'll see from me. I'll go back to Seabourn.

It is too bad that they only allow those in the chosen 23 cabins 2 GTY reservations

They probably could have included the PH CAT in the plan without adverse effects.

We will have to wait an see as Jan has said

It could change again once things are an actual reality

Lyn

I would like to add something about the Butlers in the Penthouse Suites to this discussion, because I have read conflicting information about what they can do for a guest. Some say they can help suite guests get additional specialty restaurant reservation restaurants and others say no.

An Oceania rep told me yes, absolutely they can do that..."they can do anything! Your butler can get you extra reservations, etc. and you won't have to go stand in line". Our TA who spoke to her rep at Oceania about this says no, they cannot do it. So....how has that worked for folks in the past? Can we count on our butler to be able to secure additional reservations so we don't have to go down and stand in line to make more reservations?

Butlers can make reservations for specialty restaurants. I was asked on more than one occasion if I wanted an extra reservation when he served munchies in the late afternoon. Georgio knew what my preferred dining time was, which specialty restaurant I preferred over the others, etc. On one evening that I had decided just to pass out due to the tour that day, he convinced me to dine in and brought each course from Polo to my cabin. This was not planned and spur of the moment. After reading what I just wrote, I may just bump myself to a PH from the Rome to Miami if it is available. :eek:

Butlers can make reservations for specialty restaurants. I was asked on more than one occasion if I wanted an extra reservation when he served munchies in the late afternoon. Georgio knew what my preferred dining time was, which specialty restaurant I preferred over the others, etc. On one evening that I had decided just to pass out due to the tour that day, he convinced me to dine in and brought each course from Polo to my cabin. This was not planned and spur of the moment.

You say that he asked you if you wanted more reservations, did you actually say yes and then got extra specialty dining room reservations or did you just dine in your suite?

What is the experience of other people in Penthouse suites regarding having butlers get extra specialty dining reservations?

And....then....is this going to be the same or different on the Marina?

You say that he asked you if you wanted more reservations, did you actually say yes and then got extra specialty dining room reservations or did you just dine in your suite?

What is the experience of other people in Penthouse suites regarding having butlers get extra specialty dining reservations?

In 2008 on the Mediterrean Tapestry cruise, we have 2 reservations each in Toscana and Polo. This was a port intensive cruise and on at least two occasions, we were asked if we wanted additional dining in the Specialty restaurants. We said Yes of course!. We also had in room dining one from Polo while in Monte Carlo and the other Florence. At no time ever did I ask for additional dining. There were always empty tables and a few times we joined others. I don't see this as one passenger getting more than the other which is how I interpret your question. I was always approached either by the Butler or Maitre D. The staff remembered me from the year prior. Eating in the Specialty Restaurants was not why I chose a PH cabin. I have always lived by the rule that if you don't expect anything, you won't be disappointed. If this is the new rule on Marina, that's fine. If I am invited to dine more than the allotment, I will.

Here is the basic problem..no one knows what is and isnt going to be different on the Marina until she starts sailing. Not even the people that work on the ships..Oceania has always read the comment cards and made changes to accommodate people that were unhappy and I am sure it will remain that way..

As far as reservations for dining I am in a wait and see modeas we all should be..will we like the size of ship, will the internet be faster, will service be as good on a larger ship, will it be as easy to get on and off..there are so many little things we dont know yet.

It looks like I am one of the few of us that like to be surprised..I know I will have a great time as I always do no matter what Im on..(whoops except I wasnt happy on NCL 25 years ago and never went back!) LOL

Jancruz1

Hi, I totally understand what you are saying. You are in a tough spot - you like sailing from San Fran and you like dining in smaller venues. So if you could confirm multiple reservations in the smaller venues would be very happy; you even paid a premium to get that. It's a very tough call that you will have to make a final payment time - Do you want to risk going on a cruise without those extra reservations? Only you and your husband know if it is worth the risk.

The specialty restaurants and the small ship is what draws us to O. So if we don't get to enjoy the restaurants then we too will not be too happy. We don't cruise for the ports, we do land travel to see the world. We cruise with sea days like the transatlantics. So yes every cruiser is a bit different, but it is nice when O fits all our wants.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Re the question about can the butler get you extra reservations -- I think that does depend in large part on just how many people are booking the specialty restaurants on a particular cruise. We usually are in a PH and there have been times when we wanted an extra reservation and it just wasn't possible. On other cruises, they were asking us if we wanted another reservation.

We tend to prefer the GDR but I have no idea how we will feel on MARINA but there are more options on a larger ship. Still, I was somewhat dismayed to see that PH occupants on MARINA will only be guaranteed one reservation in each restaurant. I had assumed it would be two. Would we use two? I dunno!

But I've been tempted to upgrade our reservation and that just might convince me to do so. We aren't booked until next September so I'm assuming I have a better chance to do so than if we were sailing in the spring.

Thanks Jan for all your info!

Well-phrased, wripro. We too, are disappointed with the confusion about specialty restaurants, having booked the cruise with the understanding of 2 reservations each at the four restaurants. We cannot understand how Oceania can renege on this once final payment has been made, as ours is. One reason for booking a PH is to get those extra dining experiences. Let's hope the management is following this topic, and will readjust those rules to what we expected when we booked the cruise.

...And....then....is this going to be the same or different on the Marina?

Earlier you said you were a newbie on Oceania. well, guess what -- when it comes to Marina, we are ALL newbies, and don't have a clue. We'll learn about Marina the same way we learned about the other ships.

One thing I can say for certain -- if you cancel, you will not learn about Marina.

Archived