Alternate restaurant reservation policy on Marina

wripro

Seems like some people are really hung up about the number of reservations they are allowed in Penthouse staterooms on the Marina for alternative restaurants. Not the fact that the cabins are 420 sq ft, have preferred locations on the ship, have butlers to assist them and have a bottle of champagne and a number of other amenities such a priority boarding times, priority alternative restaurant reservation times, and a host of other perks. Some people feel they are entitled. To what, a brand new cruise ship on a great line, that is bringing out more and more benefits to everyone?

Read the Pillars of Distinction l and ll posts to see that Oceania is really trying to improve its product more and more. I for one expect that the Marina will be absolutely stunning and will really please us.

Read the Pillars of Distinction l and ll posts to see that Oceania is really trying to improve its product more and more. I for one expect that the Marina will be absolutely stunning and will really please us.

I still say they should have use Baccarat and not Lalique ;)

Earlier you said you were a newbie on Oceania. well, guess what -- when it comes to Marina, we are ALL newbies, and don't have a clue. We'll learn about Marina the same way we learned about the other ships.

One thing I can say for certain -- if you cancel, you will not learn about Marina.

Well said.."a light in the darkness"

Jancruz1

As a newbie to Oceania but a veteran of HAL and other lines, parts of this discussion are funny to me. One is thinking of Marina as a "larger" ship. I know it is in fact larger for Oceania but at 1,250 passengers it is at the small end of ships we have cruised on. Another concept that is different is tying what I will call "public perks" to a cabin category. I have sailed on ships where cabin catagory was tied to spas and such but never to restaurants (other than X but that is only one restaurant). I also find it interesting that some value the ability to make additional reservations so highly that they would spend $100's and maybe even $1,000 just to obtain that privledge. Anyway, just another prespective.

Kirk

As a newbie to Oceania but a veteran of HAL and other lines, parts of this discussion are funny to me. One is thinking of Marina as a "larger" ship. I know it is in fact larger for Oceania but at 1,250 passengers it is at the small end of ships we have cruised on. Another concept that is different is tying what I will call "public perks" to a cabin category. I have sailed on ships where cabin catagory was tied to spas and such but never to restaurants (other than X but that is only one restaurant). I also find it interesting that some value the ability to make additional reservations so highly that they would spend $100's and maybe even $1,000 just to obtain that privledge. Anyway, just another prespective.

Kirk

With all due respect, Kirk why should you or anyone care whether someone books a cabin based on a certain perk? Nothing sends me in orbit more than someome whose opinion is based on what they think another has or should have booked their category for. Before I sailed on Oceania, I stayed in suites on other ships with very nice perks including spa treatments. That isn't what makes me book, but if it is for someone else, why do you think its interesting and/or funny? Heaven forbid they snag another reservation in the restaurant.

JanCruz

Thank you for your confirmation regarding PH cabins, and the number of reservations allowed for PH cabins.

My next question would be - Will the Marina allow PH cabins to have in room dining from the specialty restaraunts? I dont think we can assume the answer is yes.

If in room dining from specialty restaraunts are allowed, then I have little problem with PH's having only one reservation (a trifle disappointed, but I can work around it). With 4 nights in specialty, a butler to assist in making additional reservations if wanted and/or needed, and in room dining to try some other features from the specialty restaraunts, and a great MDR on a 12 day cruise sounds good to me.

However, if you look at the Marina deck plans, there are MANY PH cabins, I estimate about 140, and I wonder the logistics about in room dining and butlers (if I am wondering, I bet my bottom dollar Oceania is wondering about it as well....)

If PH's are only allowed 4 specialty reservations, BUT can have in room dining at any time from said restaraunts, then I think it is safe to say, the use of this service is going to increase dramatically, especially on longer cruises. Logistically, how time consuming will it be for butlers to serve dinner (by the course, as I understand it) to the 140+ PH cabins on board?? They will become waiters IMHO. The PH cabins make up a rather large percentage of the total number of cabins - how many butlers are there on board??

Perhaps it will pan out that PH cabins will be able to easily and conviently book additional reservations once on board through their butler, but this is an unknown factor. I would imagine it would be in Oceania's interest to have people go to the dining room, rather then have the dining room come to the people.

Jancruz, is it possible for you to find out the policy on in room dining on the Marina for the PH Cabins? (Or tell me who to contact for written information regarding this matter? )

For me, the benefits of the dining at the specialty restaraunts ALONG with the ability to dine in room off the specialty restaraunt menues are the main reason I paid for the PH upgrade. If these perks are not included for PH cabins, then I can easily downgrade (my sailing has plenty of openings,) no harm no fowl - I just dont want to pay extra for the other perks of PH that don't mean much to me. I dont need the extra space in the room, if I am not dining in the room, kwim? Bottle of champagne does not mean much to me either....

I do believe that everyone has their reasons for booking their particular cabin type, and for me, it was the thought of romantic dining in room, along with the extra nights in the specialty restaruant, if we wanted. This is important for me to know.

However, if you look at the Marina deck plans, there are MANY PH cabins, I estimate about 140, and I wonder the logistics about in room dining and butlers (if I am wondering, I bet my bottom dollar Oceania is wondering about it as well....)

If PH's are only allowed 4 specialty reservations, BUT can have in room dining at any time from said restaraunts, then I think it is safe to say, the use of this service is going to increase dramatically, especially on longer cruises. Logistically, how time consuming will it be for butlers to serve dinner (by the course, as I understand it) to the 140+ PH cabins on board?? They will become waiters IMHO. The PH cabins make up a rather large percentage of the total number of cabins - how many butlers are there on board??

Perhaps it will pan out that PH cabins will be able to easily and conviently book additional reservations once on board through their butler, but this is an unknown factor. I would imagine it would be in Oceania's interest to have people go to the dining room, rather then have the dining room come to the people.

Good points Cookie1. Will be interesting to see the answer.

I agree that the key in O hesitating with the PH dining privileges is the sheer number of PHs

Your mileage WILL vary.

Just back from a cruise - first request via butler was handled with minimal issues although we had to dine a different time (not worries for us).

Second request made 2 days in advance via butler seemed to just vapourize as we never got a reply from anyone including the butler or the restaurant. I asked again 1 day in advance in person with the GM of the restaurant - was told "good chance" but he wouldn't/couldn't confirm - in the end it didn't happen. We had asked to change from a table of 2 to a table of 6 and knew it would be difficult.

Unfortunately, upon arriving for our table for 2 there were many, many larger tables that remained empty throughout the evening. My DW was quite disappointed with this as we had meet 2 very nice couples and had wanted to spend a special night with them in the specialty restaurant. We did however enjoy our dinner for 2 in Toscana.

As best I can tell the butler's roll in all of this is to make the call to the restaurant manager at 6pm to see if there's space. At least that's what we gleaned from our conversation with ours.

You say that he asked you if you wanted more reservations, did you actually say yes and then got extra specialty dining room reservations or did you just dine in your suite?

What is the experience of other people in Penthouse suites regarding having butlers get extra specialty dining reservations?

And....then....is this going to be the same or different on the Marina?

You say that he asked you if you wanted more reservations, did you actually say yes and then got extra specialty dining room reservations or did you just dine in your suite?

What is the experience of other people in Penthouse suites regarding having butlers get extra specialty dining reservations?

And....then....is this going to be the same or different on the Marina?

Our experience has been similar to others in regard to getting extra specialty dining reservations aboard the R ships, however, how flexible you are with what dining times may be available to you on a particular evening will be the key. Whether that type of "perk" will continue aboard Marina is purely speculation at this point.

As far as the number of allocated dining reservations, I have mixed feelings on the subject. On the one hand, I could never see how the number of allocated dining reservations for the R ships could be used for the Marina…on the other hand I do understand the seemingly “downgraded” feeling that is coming across for those of us that booked a PH class on the Marina. There also doesn’t seem to be any differentiation for sailings that are 18+ days as there is for the R ships. One suggestion might be to allow an additional two reservations for a total of six for the PH class on Marina.

No matter, whatever the PH allocated dining reservations eventually turn out to be, we continue to look forward to experiencing the Marina…we made a conscious decision to choose one of the two aft facing PH3’s on deck seven over an Oceania Suite on the upper deck due to their aft location. We certainly don’t regret that decision. :)

Kathleen

Jancruz, is it possible for you to find out the policy on in room dining on the Marina for the PH Cabins? (Or tell me who to contact for written information regarding this matter? )

I will call the office on Monday, as you say we can take nothing for granted on Marina..

I will get back to you (no one is there today and I wont call anyone at home on this question) FDR should be back this weekend mybe he will pick up on this thread..if not I will be back to you..interesting question.

Jancruz1

If we make specialty restaurant bookings on line and are sailing with another couple, how do we link up the reservations so that we sit together?

When it says share say no then add their booking number /surname to your reservation

I will call the office on Monday, as you say we can take nothing for granted on Marina..

I will get back to you (no one is there today and I wont call anyone at home on this question) FDR should be back this weekend mybe he will pick up on this thread..if not I will be back to you..interesting question.

Jancruz1

Thank you so much Jancruz! I appreciate it!

Granted nothing is set in stone at this point and things can change, but the policy that Jan reports is in effect as of today, devalues the already debatable value of the CC cabins as well.

In the PH cabins you can rationalize you're paying a premium for a larger cabin, butler service, etc. Not so in a CC cabin. The only "big ticket" CC perk on Marina would be access to the CC lounge, but we don't really know yet what that involves. I would never consider canceling my cruise over not having additional guaranteed reservations but I may consider downgrading my cabin from CC to a regular veranda.

Sorry, I don't quite understand how saying "no" to share would allow you to add another's booking # to your reservation.

When you go to the reservation page it will be clear..maybe

If you say YES to sharing there is no option (as I recall ) to add others to the booking .

You share with whomever they pair you with

If you say NO you can choose the people you share the table with by adding their booking number

Clear as mud ..right:D

I am too early to book my dining reservations or I would check but maybe someone who can book now can confirm

That was how I did it last spring

Lyn

My reasons for choosing a PH are my reasons and may not be the same as someone else's. In fact, it may be all the reasons stated by a poster above. I feel I am paying significantly more for a PH and should be entitled to the same perks as on the smaller ships. As I stated previously, I could sail on Seabourn or Silversea for the same money as I'm paying for PH on O and get tips and all alcohol included.

I personally do not like to eat in my suite other than breakfast so the butler serving me dinner from the alternate restaurants is a no go. I like to experience the atmosphere, the buzz, the common enjoyment of a meal with others. It's not just about getting my Polo steak in my room.

On the Insignia I was able to have the butler make extra reservations for us but I fear it will not be as easy on Marina. There are six hundred more people and only about 120 extra seats in the two additional restaurants. I know we need to give them time to work things out on a new ship but imo this should have been worked out in the planning stages of design and construction. It may be too late by the time she starts sailing.

we made a conscious decision to choose one of the two aft facing PH3’s on deck seven over an Oceania Suite on the upper deck due to their aft location. We certainly don’t regret that decision. :)

What aft-facing PH3's on Deck 7?

We were told formally (in writing) a few days ago by several people (direct with Oceania, two people) and through our travel agent who also checked on this with her sources, that the aft-most PH3 cabins do not have aft-facing (wake-facing) balconies, but have a view entirely to the side, and that there is no curvature or anything else that would enable even a partial view toward the wake.

100% to the side is what we were told.

The stateroom numbers are 7130 and 7135.

If those balconies were to face the wake, surely they would be PH1 or PH2, not PH3.

Maybe the entire stern balcony (not just a small portion, as someone mentioned before) will be available to all passengers to view the wake.

I have been assured multiple times that dining course by course in a Penthouse suite, served by a butler, is an absolute perk of the category.

Some people won't want to be served course by course, but some will, and there is really no reason that those who have booked the PH category should not "take it for granted" that this service (which comes with a very large upcharge, not to mention an additional $4 a day gratuity for the butler) will be provided as advertised. (And butlers may receive optional, additional gratuities for providing extra & superior service, of course.)

We prefer to have the extra dining reservations in the specialty restaurants that we expected and were told that we would have with the Penthouse upgrade, and which we hope will still occur, but it would be really outrageous if something to further deteriorate the penthouse suite experience (for which we are paying dearly) were to occur.

Surprises are wonderful when they are above and beyond what one expects, but are loathsome when they turn out to be takeaways.

With all due respect, Kirk why should you or anyone care whether someone books a cabin based on a certain perk? Nothing sends me in orbit more than someome whose opinion is based on what they think another has or should have booked their category for. Before I sailed on Oceania, I stayed in suites on other ships with very nice perks including spa treatments. That isn't what makes me book, but if it is for someone else, why do you think its interesting and/or funny? Heaven forbid they snag another reservation in the restaurant.

Maybe I am overly sensitive to the thought of someone who books a higher class cabin is somehow in their own mind better than the rest of of us. I am not saying anyone says that but to read some of these comments one can't help but wonder. Some went so far as to say they actually booked a higher level of cabin just to get additional reservations, if that is the case I find that funny as they are paying a huge premium for that privilege. As my comments said, it is another perspective. At the end of the day I don't care who books what.

Kirk

Reading this discussion ...

Maybe we are forgetting (those of us who book PH and maybe always have) that on the "R" ships a PH was #3, following the OS and VS.

On MARINA, a larger ship, a PH is #4 ... maybe we shouldn't expect all the extra perks we got on a smaller ship?

Just asking.

(But I sure wouldn't cancel my cruise over specialty restaurants or in-cabin dining.)

Mura

Maybe I am overly sensitive to the thought of someone who books a higher class cabin is somehow in their own mind better than the rest of of us. I am not saying anyone says that but to read some of these comments one can't help but wonder. Some went so far as to say they actually booked a higher level of cabin just to get additional reservations, if that is the case I find that funny as they are paying a huge premium for that privilege. As my comments said, it is another perspective. At the end of the day I don't care who books what.

Kirk

LOL, a little oversensitive as I am thinking now to upgrade to a PH if available for in room dining, although I am happy to be the first around the corner of the bow. I like to be pampered when away and after two weeks of being in the bush before I pick up the ship in Rome, I want to pampered, haha. Whatever trips your trigger works for you. Isn't this fun?

Archived