Alternate restaurant reservation policy on Marina

wripro

For a while I have been wondering on this board what the policy will be on Marina for reservations in the alternate restaurants. I found out last week and it has been bothering me ever since, enough so that I thought I'd start a thread on the subject.

Specifically, I am disappointed that in PH suites you will only be entitled to one reservation per restaurant, same as an inside cabin, unlike on the smaller ships where you are entitled to two. I was always concerned because there are 600 more people and only two more restaurants seating probably 120 people. And there are far more penthouses on the Marina. Still, when you consider that for what you are paying for a PH on Marina you could be sailing on Seabourn with tips and alcohol included, and now on top of that you are limited to only one reservation per restaurant, I am starting to wonder about the value. Perhaps this is just me but dining is one of the main barometers of a good cruise for me and I was looking forward to more than one experience in each restaurant. It may not bother others but each of us has our own criteria and expectations.

I too have been wondering about this.

Although this does not affect me directly (I seldom cruise in PH, except we are in a PH this time on the TA), it would seem that PH would warrant more specialty restaurant reservations than an inside cabin (for example).

I think O is treating this issue as a "work in progress" and see how things go on the first few cruises before establishing a policy.

This is JMO.

I remember last week in one of the threads about the reservation policy Jan had checked & posted it was back to the same policies as the R ships

So A Cat & above will get more than 1 now

But it is a work in progress & may change one the ship is in operation

Lyn

here is the thread message #346

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1119682&page=9

I don't know what the beef (pun intended) is.

As I understand it, at PH and above, you have a butler and you can order food from any restaurant (i.e., Polo and Toscana) any and every night.

So is what you are concerned about then the opportunities to dine in the specific restaurant space itself?!?

The PH cabins are spacious and I would think that it would be much more intimate to dine in the cabin with the balcony doors open or even eat on the balcony?

Specifically, I am disappointed that in PH suites you will only be entitled to one reservation per restaurant, same as an inside cabin, unlike on the smaller ships where you are entitled to two. I was always concerned because there are 600 more people and only two more restaurants seating probably 120 people. And there are far more penthouses on the Marina.

I am not sure where you got this information, but the latest from Oceania (which is still subject to change) is as follows:

Owner's Suite, Vista Suite, Penthouse Suite and Concierge Level Veranda

10-17 Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

18+ Sailing Days: 3 reservations at each restaurant

Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom

10-17 Sailing Days: 1 reservation at each restaurant

18+ Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

The "Concierge" and above level of suite has the opportunity for one more reservation from those who are booked in "non-Concierge level" rooms.

The only error in this is that a new level of suite - the "Oceania" suite on the Marina was not included and must be corrected.

I don't know what the beef (pun intended) is.

As I understand it, at PH and above, you have a butler and you can order food from any restaurant (i.e., Polo and Toscana) any and every night.

So is what you are concerned about then the opportunities to dine in the specific restaurant space itself?!?

The PH cabins are spacious and I would think that it would be much more intimate to dine in the cabin with the balcony doors open or even eat on the balcony?

For those of us in a Concierge Cabin, there is no Butler so the extra reservation in the Specialty Restaurants is good.

I remember last week in one of the threads about the reservation policy Jan had checked & posted it was back to the same policies as the R ships

So A Cat & above will get more than 1 now

But it is a work in progress & may change one the ship is in operation

Lyn

here is the thread message #346

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1119682&page=9

Lyn,

Thanks for the link. As it was on the Roll Call thread, most of us did not see it.

It makes more sense until things get fine-tuned by onboard experiences of the staff and passengers.

disregard, I just read Jancruz post, regarding the policy, and it appears to be a non issue now. I was wondering how the poor butlers would have coped with trying to do in room dining for the 120 plus PH cabins on the Marina!

Wripro-we agree with you. The dining is an important part of our cruise, too, and despite the "rules" as stated on the O website, we have only been able to book 1 reservation each at Polo and Toscana, after making full payment. We assume, though, that online reservations will open up 75 days prior for PH (Thanksgiving Day?) and we will be able to book all four specialty restaurants, with 2 reservations in each, at that time. You are correct that each of us has our own criteria and expectations. We prefer booking these dining experiences as much as possible in advance so that we can concentrate on the ship and excursions after boarding and avoid the line to book once aboard. (And yes, there IS a line to book dining reservations.) The food in Toscana and Polo has been so memorable on our other cruises; hence our eagerness to book them and the two new restaurants. Oceania is a well-run company, so we'll just wait and see how they work this out...

When I spoke to Oceania I was told the policy on Marina will be different from the other ships. PH down to Inside cabins will only get one reservation per restaurant regardless of the length of the voyage. I certainly hope this changes. So Ricky88. what appears on the website does not pertain to Marina.

ShopperfiendTO,

I am not one who loves room service so being able to order the food in my cabin does not work. It is not the same experience at all.

When I spoke to Oceania I was told the policy on Marina will be different from the other ships. PH down to Inside cabins will only get one reservation per restaurant regardless of the length of the voyage. I certainly hope this changes. So Ricky88. what appears on the website does not pertain to Marina.

I guess it depends on when & who you speak to at O what the policies are that day.

I guess we will have to wait until the first sailing to see how things play out.

Lyn

ShopperfiendTO,

I am not one who loves room service so being able to order the food in my cabin does not work. It is not the same experience at all.

As of now the dining policy on the Marina will be the same as on the other three ships

Jancruz1

Jan,

Do you know what the number will be for the new Oceania Suites on Marina?

Thanks.

I am sure it will be the same as for the other Suites (since even Concierge veranda is included in that group) - see post #5 above by Rickey 88

Okay, I am a little confused here...

Are you allowed "one reservation in each restaurant"? Since the Marina has four specialty restaurants rather than two, wouldn't that mean you get the SAME number of specialty restaurant reservations as you got on the smaller ships with two reservations in each of TWO restaurants? Isn't it four nights in specialty restaurants either way?

I haven't actually seen an official policy, so I am just going by what I read on this thread...but it doesn't sound to me like they are giving you any less...

Are you allowed "one reservation in each restaurant"? Since the Marina has four specialty restaurants rather than two, wouldn't that mean you get the SAME number of specialty restaurant reservations as you got on the smaller ships with two reservations in each of TWO restaurants? Isn't it four nights in specialty restaurants either way?

I haven't actually seen an official policy, so I am just going by what I read on this thread...but it doesn't sound to me like they are giving you any less...

So far it is the same policy as Rickey88 posted in message #5 above

Depending on your cabin CAT you get 2 in EACH if you are A & above

One in each for B CAT and below

It could change once the Marina is in full operation & the bugs are worked out

Lyn

According to this quote (from Rickey 88):

It states at each restaurant (without naming them) - i.e. 4 specialty restaurants.

At least that is how I read it. Time will tell soon enough.

As one awaiting their first Oceania cruise, this is different for me. We are in a B class cabin so I guess we get 1 reservation per restaurant plus have to wait until 75 days out, is that right? I must say I am not real keen on the idea that your cabin dictates your reservation capacity, it reminds me of Titanic and it appears we are in steerage :confused:. So my question is should we expect to not be able to get in some of the restaurants due to our lowly cabin choice or would the consensus be that it should not be an issue? Tell me now so I know whether to go ahead and cancel and go back to HAL.

Kirk

As one awaiting their first Oceania cruise, this is different for me. We are in a B class cabin so I guess we get 1 reservation per restaurant plus have to wait until 75 days out, is that right?

No it is 45 days Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom can make reservations 45 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.

So my question is should we expect to not be able to get in some of the restaurants due to our lowly cabin choice or would the consensus be that it should not be an issue? It should not be an issue

Tell me now so I know whether to go ahead and cancel and go back to HAL.

Kirk

You are guaranteed at least 1 per restaurant

As one awaiting their first Oceania cruise, this is different for me. We are in a B class cabin so I guess we get 1 reservation per restaurant plus have to wait until 75 days out, is that right? I must say I am not real keen on the idea that your cabin dictates your reservation capacity, it reminds me of Titanic and it appears we are in steerage :confused:. So my question is should we expect to not be able to get in some of the restaurants due to our lowly cabin choice or would the consensus be that it should not be an issue? Tell me now so I know whether to go ahead and cancel and go back to HAL.

Kirk

Hi, Kirk

This is an ongoing discussion. Some report getting the minimum guaranteed reservations and some report getting extra. On the smaller ships, if you want an extra reservation you must go to the reservation desk at breakfast and check to see if there is a reservation available for that evening. You do that on each morning you want an extra reservation.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1240123&highlight=happy+cruzer

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1163211&highlight=happy+cruzer

Good luck.

Thanks, some of the posts make me feel better (I think). I would just like to be able to try each of the specialty restaurants once, thats all. Not sure why something so easy as eating dinner needs to be so complicated but every line has unique rules.

Kirk

Thanks, some of the posts make me feel better (I think). I would just like to be able to try each of the specialty restaurants once, thats all. Not sure why something so easy as eating dinner needs to be so complicated but every line has unique rules.

Kirk

Kirk,

You are guaranteed at least 1 reservation at each - the earlier you book online, the more likely it will be the time and date of your choice. I would be surprised if you do not get extra reservations once onboard, if you want some.

Good idea to book early on in the cruise to both restaurants (on R ships) so you will know which one you prefer and where you'd like extra reservation (also you will have more time to get extra reservations if your first meal is early on in the cruise).

Early seatings and sharing tables are easier to get than later tables for 2. I would be equally surprised if you don't love Oceania after your cruise (you may never want to go back to HAL - we didn't)

Enjoy your cruise.

Jancruz,

Does this mean that if I am in a PH on a 19 day cruise I will be allowed three reservations on each of the restaurants, totaling 12 reservations?

I'm not Jan, but the cruise only needs to be 18 days (or longer.)

In the Inaugural Passage thread (February 8, 2011 Miami to San Francisco), Jancruz wrote about her long talk with the VP last week (I am putting that part in red, for emphasis, though Jancruz did not use red):

I had a long talk with the VP today and the rules for dining reservations stay the same on Marina as they are on the other 3 ships.

The below are on their FAQ:

RESERVATION RULES

When to make your reservations:

Your booking must be paid in full.

The online dining reservation system closes 14 days prior to your sailing's embarkation date.

Owner's and Vista Suite can make reservations 90 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.

Penthouse Suite can make reservations 75 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.

Concierge Level Veranda staterooms can make reservations 60 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.

Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom can make reservations 45 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.

Number of reservations:

Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom

10-17 Sailing Days: 1 reservation at each restaurant

18+ Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

Number of guests per table:

All reservations have a maximum of 8 guests per table.

Jancruz1

What Jan wrote, and how it came from senior management, really eased our mind, and is very important to us, as the option to make multiple reservations is the most important perk to us, by far, for paying for vastly more expensive categories of staterooms.

Even though we would probably not elect to use up every reservation available to us as suite occupants (or would release them early in the cruise if we find we are not fond of a particular specialty restaurant or if we are fortunate enough to book Privee and/or Reserve, and we might find we like the main dining room or alternate venues more than one or more of the specialty restaurants), we will be paying for the privilege to make those bookings.

Our first final payment date is early next week, and we really need to know from management that they will honor the reservation system under which we booked, and under which we paid a lot of money to upgrade.

If Oceania decides not to honor the reservation system as it was reiterated to Jancruz, then we need to know now, before final payment.

It is only fair.

O&R,

I think the problem maybe more along the lines of the website/software not being updated yet (why is it not updated yet?) than the fact that O would not honor their promise.

I suspect you will be able to book Polo & Toscana after final payment and the other 2 specialty restaurants after the website is updated. Nobody else can book the other 2 online until they update the booking system.

This is how I understand it.

Archived