Is Beef Wellington served on HAL?

eroller

One of my favorite dishes of all time is Beef Wellington. Pretty much the only time I can enjoy it is on a cruise ship. It's just not something you find on the menu at land based restaurants.

It's been a few years since I have sailed on HAL, so I'm curious if its served in the MDR one night. I'll be on a 7-day Caribbean cruise on NIEUW AMSTERDAM.

I know Carnival, Cunard, and NCL serve it in the MDR, but can't recall about HAL.

Thanks!

Ernie

ps - I'll be really upset if its served on one of the nights I booked the specialty restaurants. Murphy's Law right!

We don't recall seeing it on a recent 42 day cruise (its possible we missed it). Although we share the love of this dish when its properly prepared, we have not seen any of the mass-market cruise lines properly prepard the dish with decent pate de fois gras. Instead they substitute something a lot cheaper (like chicken liver) which is OK, but no the real mccoy.

Hank

This is a really bizarre coincidence! My husband and I were talking about beef wellington this evening. He was trying to remember if he had it on our RC or HAL cruise. I couldn't remember either. He loves it, I don't so it's not something that I cook. I've tried but it's more complex than I usually want to deal with. Sounds like it must have been the RC cruise. I guess he won't have beef wellington to look forward to on our HAL cruise in a few months.

Thanks to all those that answered my question. Based upon the responses, I can probably safely assume it's not offered. I may just mention it to the Head Waiter or Maître d' and see if perhaps it appears one night.

I cruise a lot (80+ cruises) on many different lines, and I've found most lines do offer it one night. HAL seems to be the exception, at least for now, but it's understandable they would want to change out menus and keep things fresh.

So if not on this cruise, hopefully the next one!

Ernie

One of my favorite dishes of all time is Beef Wellington. Pretty much the only time I can enjoy it is on a cruise ship. It's just not something you find on the menu at land based restaurants.

It's been a few years since I have sailed on HAL, so I'm curious if its served in the MDR one night. I'll be on a 7-day Caribbean cruise on NIEUW AMSTERDAM.

I know Carnival, Cunard, and NCL serve it in the MDR, but can't recall about HAL.

Thanks!

Ernie

ps - I'll be really upset if its served on one of the nights I booked the specialty restaurants. Murphy's Law right!

Yes, we had it on the Westerdam in May and it was superb! Everyone at the table who didn't order it was jealous!!:)

Yes, we had it on the Westerdam in May and it was superb! Everyone at the table who didn't order it was jealous!!:)

Great to hear! So there is a chance it will be offered after all. Perhaps it depends on the ship and menu rotation? In any case I will ask about it onboard.

I'm sailing on the first Caribbean cruise (this Sunday) after NIEUW AMSTERDAM arrives from Europe. I'm guessing this first cruise will be a little experimental until the ship gets into a normal routine, so perhaps some new things will be offered?

Ernie

Great to hear! So there is a chance it will be offered after all. Perhaps it depends on the ship and menu rotation? In any case I will ask about it onboard.

I'm sailing on the first Caribbean cruise (this Sunday) after NIEUW AMSTERDAM arrives from Europe. I'm guessing this first cruise will be a little experimental until the ship gets into a normal routine, so perhaps some new things will be offered?

Ernie

Just don't accept their current offering of norovirus. :( Poor ship. So glad we didn't have that on the itinerary before the current one. Hopefully the cleaning of the ship and delayed embarkation will do the trick for you guys.

I'm jealous, I so want to go back on her! Great ship, great staff. I loved it. Hooked me on HAL.... :-)

I hope you get your Beef Wellington, seems you never know what could turn up, and if it doesn't, well then maybe you'll find another favorite to order!

Just don't accept their current offering of norovirus. :( Poor ship. So glad we didn't have that on the itinerary before the current one. Hopefully the cleaning of the ship and delayed embarkation will do the trick for you guys.

Yes it is a little frightening, but better to be on the ship after a thorough cleaning then on the current crossing where people are actually sick. The ship will probably be as clean as it could possibly be for our cruise. To be extra safe I will bring some anti-bacterial wipes for the cabin. I have a very important mandatory seminar for 4 days after this cruise, and I can't be sick for it!

Ernie

Seems to me that Beef Wellington disappeared around 2006/2007. I certainly don't remember it on our 14-day Veendam cruise in 2007 but meat loaf was on the menu three times. :eek::)

beef wellington requires beef tenderloin. meatloaf requires, well, meat.

beef wellington requires beef tenderloin. meatloaf requires, well, meat.

Yep, it was meat...I guess. Meat loaf, to me at least, is kind of one of those family things and you get used to how your mother made it or how your wife makes it and somebody else's isn't quite right. HAL meat loaf isn't my mother's or my wife's..... :(

The last time I had Beef Wellington was also on Carnival Miracle (December 2007), and it was very, very good. It then vanished when Carnival changed their menus. I was absolutely crushed as it is one of my favorite dishes.

Sure hope it will be offered on Zaandam!

Archived