Maasdam --St Thomas ..'Godzilla meets Bambi'

Stakeout

we were onboard the Maasdam for 21 days until Nov 12th...

just a few pics of our day in St Thomas aboard the Maasdam on Nov 9th.. as you can see Oasis was there making a grand entrance about 930am a bit later than expected.....we took a tour over to St John to 'get outta town' with 'Godzilla' docked beside us.. looks like the Mega ships have taken over St Thomas...

http://stakeout.smugmug.com/Travel/St-Thomas-Crown-Bay-Maasdam/14639728_NDLY2

from what we heard about the sewerage problem aboard the Oasis that permeated the good clean air around the docks at Crown Bay.. glad we did go over to our favorite island--St John

a late day shower caught the Oasis folks returning to the ship in yet more lines..

back onboard the Maasdam for Christmas and New Years cruises --21 days--starting Dec 17th

I was on the same voyage of the Maasdam. My thought on seeing "Godzilla" was the last time I saw a vessel that big, it was painted gray, had a flat top and aircraft landed on the top.

I took these pics of the USS Ronald Reagan #76 the beginning of Fleet Week in Port Everglades while aboard the Volendam as we ended a 10 day cruise 0n 11-11-2003.. we happened to be docked at the same terminal ..21.. as we were the other day on the Maasdam... they ordered us there so the Reagan could navigate in the ICW passed our regular terminal 26...

http://stakeout.smugmug.com/Military/USS-Ronald-Reagan-Port/14648261_gR9dj

the 'o-fish-al' Fleet Week pic is the very last one on the album taken from a helicopter.. I DID NOT TAKE that one..:D

Great pictures.

Those lines of people reminds me of years ago when we were in Ocho Rios. One of what was then the newer RCI ships was also there. They opened 3 gangways and it looked like a hoard of ants as they got off the ship.

We were in Ft Lauderdale last November when the Oasis arrived. We were on the Zuiderdam and that ship made our ship look like a row boat.

Hey Ray,

Great Pictures.... We especially liked the ones you took when we were watching the crowds returning to the Oasis.

Hope you guys had a good trip back home. Please say hello to your wife for us.

Are you going to post the ones you took in St. Vincent with the guys swimming on the other side of the pier?

Take care.....;)

J.

Your picture display is fantastic. On one of our Hal Cruises, I think it was the Statendam in Alaska, we were berthed next to one of these monsters.

Godzilla reminds me of a sea going federal low cost housing project.:o

Needless to say we will continue to cruise on the smaller HAL ships.

Godzilla reminds me of a sea going federal low cost housing project.:o

Yes! That's the comparison I couldn't quite come up with. That's exactly what it looks like.

I was thinking it reminded me of the Stalin era apartments on the way from St. Petersburg to Peterhof. But your analogy is much better.

Bradley, thanks for this! I just copied it and sent it to a couple of people. What a comparison!!!

It was good meeting you. I hope we can sail together once again.

Esther

Well even though HAL ships are great and I wouldn't trade them for anything, you have to admit Oasis of the Seas is pretty darn cool. Don't think I would ever want to go on a cruise with that many people, but it definitely is full of imagination.

By the way-Great photographer!

Thanks for the picture, amazing to see the difference in size! Although a ship that size is not appealing to me right now, I could see taking grandchildren on one some day, I'm sure it's a great venue for families with kids.:)

What a great picture!

The Oasis is a beautiful ship (as are all RCl ships) ... but I can understand why it would be too large for some people. We were in St. Thomas in April and fortunately did not experience that type of long line when we reboarded after our day in port. Nor did we experience crowds anywhere aboard, except for the first night going into the MDR, and coming out of one of the shows in the theatre. But there is so much room the crowds quickly disperse.

Our upcoming cruise on Statendam will be on our smallest ship by far. We are looking forward to it, but hope we won't feel cramped by the small size!

We will not miss the rock climbing wall, flow rider, poolside contests, etc ...although they make great free entertainment!

We were aboard the Statendam in Fort Lauderdale 13th November last year, when the Oasis arrived on her first visit to the port. When she was berthed we were able to take photos of her from our balcony. The Statendam felt tiny in comparison to the Oasis, but superior!!:)

Archived