Pill pusher?

Izzblizz

Ok, just to start, I am not a hypochondriac, and don't wash my hands a hundred times per day, but am a planner. And I got really sick at the end of my last trip (not a cruise) so want to be prepared.

But here is what I packed in my "med kit", is this excessive? And will they search cause too many pills (I don't have any of these in the original boxes, but the back of the pill packaging identifies what they are).

Anyway what I packed was:

Flu/Cold

• Four packs theraflu
  • 4 Vitamin C pack
  • 4 sinus liquicaps
  • 4 alkazeltzer cold tablets
  • Cough drops

Stomach

• 6 Immodium tablets
  • 6 pepto bismal tablets
  • 4 Gas x tablets
  • Small container of tums
  • 8 bomine tablets

Other

• Bandaids
  • Neosporin
  • Jelly sting gel
  • Thermometer
  • Antihistamine tablets
  • Prescription meds (of course)

Is that excessive? Or on the other hand, did I forget anything?

My first aid kit that I take on every trip, including long distance drives, is about the same as yours, except I dont pack Theraflu, Vitamin C or cough drops even though I have/take it at home. I also dont take Jelly sting gel (didnt know it existed), or a thermometer. Everything else is the same.

I got several neat plastic zip lock bags that are supposed to hold your travel sized liquids from TripAdvisor. Between two of the bags, they hold everything, and are there see through. I got them two years ago for contributing reviews and doing surveys on the site (I think thats why I got them).

It's going to be different for different people. Overall what you have is way more that we have used in 29 cruises with a few exceptions.

The things we have used are:

• Pepto and/or Tums
  • Gas-X
  • Bonine
  • Analgesic (acetaminophen/ibuprofen)

Things we take and have never used:

• A couple of band-aids
  • Neosporin

I didn't see an analgesic on your list.

Charlie

oh, I it actually is in there, I forgot to put it under other. Have both aspirin and advil.

When I was in Spain in May got a horrible chest cold and had to buy all sorts of cold/flu remedies. At home if I take a theraflu packet with a shot of bourbon and sleep for 10 hours, I am almost always cured, so theraflu is my go-to at the first sign of a sore throat! That is why that is on the list for sure.

Ok, just to start, I am not a hypochondriac, and don't wash my hands a hundred times per day, but am a planner. And I got really sick at the end of my last trip (not a cruise) so want to be prepared.

But here is what I packed in my "med kit", is this excessive? And will they search cause too many pills (I don't have any of these in the original boxes, but the back of the pill packaging identifies what they are).

Anyway what I packed was:

Flu/Cold

• Four packs theraflu
  • 4 Vitamin C pack
  • 4 sinus liquicaps
  • 4 alkazeltzer cold tablets
  • Cough drops

Stomach

• 6 Immodium tablets
  • 6 pepto bismal tablets
  • 4 Gas x tablets
  • Small container of tums
  • 8 bomine tablets

Other

• Bandaids
  • Neosporin
  • Jelly sting gel
  • Thermometer
  • Antihistamine tablets
  • Prescription meds (of course)

Is that excessive? Or on the other hand, did I forget anything?

You'll be fine not bringing the boxes. I've never had a problem. I would leave the thermometer at home, and maybe bring amoxicillian.

I tend to go through the medicine cabinet before any trip. Must be the girl scout in me.:o But hubby's not going to tease me, especially as years ago on a cruise he got very congested and I had packed some Sudafed. He even used up my supply and I remember us tracking down a drug store in St. Thomas to get another box.

As a hay fever sufferer, I have to pack various meds for that anyway. I just try to condense down the packaging (don't need the box for the Claritin as the blister pack has the name of the drug on it). I think the only prescription info I ever bring is my daughter's inhaler meds.

I say take the thermometer. It's very useful to have along on any trip of any kind. If you begin feeling out of sorts for any reason, your body temp is a very reliable indicator of which direction your present condition may be heading. It will provide advance warning if something serious is about to get under way in your system, especially if you're incubating something really bad. That's why one of the first questions you're asked at the doctor's office is "Have you been running a fever?"

I take most of what you have listed but instead of cold tablets we use the theraflu strips that go on the tongue, easier to pack and gets into the blood steam quicker. I was glad to have my stuff as DD got sick the last day and a half last summer on the cruise. We were on sea days so it was nice to have with us. I also take one of those little replace the fillings kits.

Also where did you get the jelly sting stuff, would love to have some of that for the next cruise.

you can get the jelly sting stuff at any dive/scuba shop (or probably order online). The brand we have is "wipe away pain."

http://www.wipeawaypain.com/

We pack it whenever going to the ocean, but only time have used it was not for us, but a little girl who was screaming after coming out of the ocean at Chakanaab park in Cozumel. Poor thing! We gave it to her parent to try, and it worked on the child.

I say take the thermometer. It's very useful to have along on any trip of any kind. If you begin feeling out of sorts for any reason, your body temp is a very reliable indicator of which direction your present condition may be heading. It will provide advance warning if something serious is about to get under way in your system, especially if you're incubating something really bad. That's why one of the first questions you're asked at the doctor's office is "Have you been running a fever?"

I agree with you on that, and can tell you if you are "super sick" or just kinda sick, etc.

I take most of what you have listed but instead of cold tablets we use the theraflu strips that go on the tongue, easier to pack and gets into the blood steam quicker.

I haven't seen those? Will have to look! Right now I have the theraflu packets that dissolve in liquid.

I haven't seen those? Will have to look! Right now I have the theraflu packets that dissolve in liquid.

They work wonders, I think triamnic makes them too. I get them at Walgreens.

And thanks for the Jelly Sting info. Will have to find some as we are headed to the Caribbean again next summer

I always carried tylenol/advil, bandaids, pepto bismol..the usual. I never took OTC cold meds with me. I awoke one morning with a horrible chest cold. We had just docked in Dominica. We got off the ship and asked for a pharmacy. You will be extremely glad to carry OTC meds for any/all if you end up at some of the ports and are under the weather. Their pharmacy sold used PVC pipes and used luggage. They had a pharmacist, but in the OTC med department we found no brand names we had ever seen before and the choice was limited to one OTC that listed chest congestion. It was all very weird and beside it were jars of what appeared to be home remedies in these little canning jars. We now never cruise w/o a list as long as yours, if not longer.

I would add sun burn relief gel. I was glad I had it on my last cruise as I am very fair skinned and the sun ate right through my SPF 50 sun screen.

Oh good idea, have the sunscreen and bug spray packed, but have some aloe with lidocaine that should definitely add to the list. Totally forgot about it.

I always carried tylenol/advil, bandaids, pepto bismol..the usual. I never took OTC cold meds with me. I awoke one morning with a horrible chest cold. We had just docked in Dominica. We got off the ship and asked for a pharmacy. You will be extremely glad to carry OTC meds for any/all if you end up at some of the ports and are under the weather. Their pharmacy sold used PVC pipes and used luggage. They had a pharmacist, but in the OTC med department we found no brand names we had ever seen before and the choice was limited to one OTC that listed chest congestion. It was all very weird and beside it were jars of what appeared to be home remedies in these little canning jars. We now never cruise w/o a list as long as yours, if not longer.

That is why I am probably more prepared for this trip, running around spain trying to decipher cold/flu meds was not what I wanted to do when feeling like *crap*!

Archived