Releasing the anchor on a moving cruiseship

nbsjcruiser

Even drunk, I can't come up with a viable excuse for this one:

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/nov/29/291824/passenger-charged-for-releasing-anchor-of-moving-s/

TAMPA - Rick Ehlert told investigators he was intoxicated when he released the anchor of a cruise liner as it chugged from Costa Maya, Mexico, to Tampa.

The California resident was captured on ship surveillance video aboard the MS Ryndam on Saturday morning donning work gloves and deploying the anchor as the ship was in motion, according to a federal court affidavit.

The Holland America ship wasn't damaged, but it could have been, according to the affidavit, which says releasing an anchor on a moving cruise ship could damage the rudder and propeller, disabling the vessel's ability to maneuver. It could puncture the ship, causing it to flood or sink.

Now Ehlert, 44, is facing federal charges of attempting to destroy, disable or wreck a vessel and attempting to damage a ship in a manner likely to endanger its safe navigation. He faces up to 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine on each charge.

Shortly after the anchor was released at 5:25 a.m., someone deployed a life buoy from Deck 11, the affidavit states.

Around 7:30 a.m., the ship's captain made an announcement asking passengers and crew to come forward with information about the buoy, the affidavit states. When no one stepped forward, the ship's emergency alarm was sounded, and all passengers and crew were mustered on deck.

After about 40 minutes, with everyone accounted for, passengers were allowed to leave the deck.

After being identified on the video, Ehlert, who was on the cruise with his girlfriend, spoke to the FBI and the U.S. Coast Guard Investigative Service.

He told investigators he knew how to release the anchor because he owns a 50-foot boat with a similar anchor, according to the federal affidavit.

The MS Ryndam is 719 feet long, with a capacity for 1,260 passengers and 580 crew members, according to the Holland America website. It weighs more than 55,000 tons and can travel at speeds up to 22 knots.

Holland America spokeswoman Sally Andrews said the company could provide no information beyond what was contained in the federal complaint affidavit.

esilvestrini@tampatrib.com">name="signature">esilvestrini@tampatrib.com

Boy - drunk or not drunk - he definitely should have Life Endangerment charges brought against him. He could have put so many peoples lives at risk. Definite candidate for AA - how stupid could he be. I did not realize that an anchor could be dropped and accessable by joe public - I would have thought there would have been some sort of fail safe system in effect.

Boy - drunk or not drunk - he definitely should have Life Endangerment charges brought against him. He could have put so many peoples lives at risk. Definite candidate for AA - how stupid could he be. I did not realize that an anchor could be dropped and accessable by joe public - I would have thought there would have been some sort of fail safe system in effect.

Me too. Doesn't pass my common sense test. Seems very fishy.

I was also kinda curious about this. If my memoery is correct which it pry isnt, but I thought most of the anchors and stuff like that are on the "crew" only areas and decks.

Saw this on CNN this morning while at the gym - and found it very odd. While I imagine the anchor does have a manual override to release, would think it would not be easy to do. How did this passenger do that? I am not even sure that I have been near an area that has an anchor. Is there a sign like there used to be for the "adult area"? :)

i find it strange how he was able to release the anchor so easy. I thought there was a button in the bridge that the captain/officer pushes to deploy the anchor

It's released manually near the bow of the ship, but that said it's not an easy thing to do. Not sure if this guy had a maritime background of what. Maybe he dropped is hat overboard and wanted to stop to pick it up!

Even drunk, I can't come up with a viable excuse for this one:

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/nov/29/291824/passenger-charged-for-releasing-anchor-of-moving-s/

TAMPA - Rick Ehlert told investigators he was intoxicated when he released the anchor of a cruise liner as it chugged from Costa Maya, Mexico, to Tampa.

years ago, at least two fools made their way onto the bow of the ship we were cruising. they thought it was a great idea to jump over the huge gaps in the bow where the anchor ropes go.

our hearts were in our throats. we watched from the area over the bridge until we could no more. i now assume if they were consumed by the sea, we would have known about it.

Wow...what a jerk

Of course my feelings about "safety" at sea have been somewhat clouded by my own experience with the Destiny's hotel director/security lack of concern for the safety and integrity of our group and my own safety

I am also amazed that anyone could even get that near to a 'restricted' area on a ship or that near to important equipment like that

scary stuff

*and who says all the nuts and drunks are on Carnival?? Party on HAL??

Archived