How Holland American decides who gets upgraded

BudinFla

Last week I booked a DD guarantee -partially obstructed view - on the Statendam in September. I was gambling on the upgrade fairy maybe giving me a full ocean view. I was immediately assigned a cabin - DD393. As a single I also, of course, had to pay a single supplement. Cost pp - $599.

I'm wondering if I received an immediate assignment because of the extremely "good" price....maybe those that paid more would be more likely to receive an upgrade?

My DH and I have received three upgrades on Vista ships from VE to VA. Since his death earlier this year, I'm pretty much $$ banished from verandahs now :(

Last week I booked a DD guarantee -partially obstructed view - on the Statendam in September. I was gambling on the upgrade fairy maybe giving me a full ocean view. I was immediately assigned a cabin - DD393. As a single I also, of course, had to pay a single supplement. Cost pp - $599.

I'm wondering if I received an immediate assignment because of the extremely "good" price....maybe those that paid more would be more likely to receive an upgrade?

My DH and I have received three upgrades on Vista ships from VE to VA. Since his death earlier this year, I'm pretty much $$ banished from verandahs now :(

This sounds quite unusual, to be assigned immediately when booking a guarentee. I think you did not really have a "guarentee" but your TA or HAL just chose the cabin.

Something similar happened to us once when our TA forgot to mark "guarentee" and we were "assigned" the first cabin available from the list. We got that changed right away and eventually were assigned 7 categories higher that the guarentee category.

Have a great cruise on the Statendam!

It is interesting. I booked through HAL then transferred to my TA. My paperwork from HAL shows guaranteed. My confirmation paperwork from TA gives assigned cabin number. When I asked TA about it she said that's the way they received the transfer from HAL and she couldn't do anything about it. Looks like I was caught in the cracks.

I wonder if it is worth following up on. I honestly do not idea the idea of going to a lower deck amd I do like forward or aft cabins. The assigned cabin is aft by the elevators.

Wherever, I will be back on the water!

I don't see why Budinfla is upset. With only 3 sailings under his belt, he had no hope of an upgrade if past cruise history were the playing factor in upgrades.

Personally, I think it's great that a first time cruiser got an upgrade. Makes them a better candidate to be a repeat cruiser.

I don't see how any of this lends itself to a "Carnivalization" of HAL.

Good entertainment, tho...seeing how upset people get when others get upgraded. I go into a cruise expecting to share a cold dank room with cargo so no matter what room I get I'm impressed! :D

Over the past 10 years, we've cruised about 14 times... Princess, HAL, Celebrity... and have NEVER received an upgrade.

On our very FIRST time on Cunard this February, we have received a two category upgrade! Both are a mid ship balcony cabins, but we were upgraded two decks up. Of course we always dream of the ultimate upgrade from "obstructed view to balcony", we are always very happy to get what we booked!!

As cruising "virgins" last year with Silverseas we had an invitation for the first formal night to sit next to the cruise director..(he was great!) Then, the next day, we were offered an upgrade..it was very good. I thought it was because of my sparkling conversation & low cut posh frock. Now I know it was just a random computer...ouch!:p

It is interesting. I booked through HAL then transferred to my TA. My paperwork from HAL shows guaranteed. My confirmation paperwork from TA gives assigned cabin number. When I asked TA about it she said that's the way they received the transfer from HAL and she couldn't do anything about it. Looks like I was caught in the cracks.

I wonder if it is worth following up on. I honestly do not idea the idea of going to a lower deck amd I do like forward or aft cabins. The assigned cabin is aft by the elevators.

Wherever, I will be back on the water!

Your travel agent CAN "do something about it". She can have it changed to a Guarentee, if the category isn't closed and you still want that. We have had that happen to us and it was no problem to get it changed.

Your assigned cabin is a nice location, very convenient to the outside deck and is close to the elevators, as you say.

As cruising "virgins" last year with Silverseas we had an invitation for the first formal night to sit next to the cruise director..(he was great!) Then, the next day, we were offered an upgrade..it was very good. I thought it was because of my sparkling conversation & low cut posh frock. Now I know it was just a random computer...ouch!:p

Too funny:D.

Hold your first thought! :p

Personally, I think it's great that a first time cruiser got an upgrade. Makes them a better candidate to be a repeat cruiser.

It worked for us. On our first cruise in the late 90s, we reserved the most inexpensive cabin that had an outside view and bathtub. When we checked in, they gave us a different cabin number which confused us. Then we got to that new cabin and found a verandah.

The unexpected upgrade contributed to making that first cruise extra special. We've done a number of cruises since then, all with HAL and always booking at least a verandah cabin (because we enjoyed the first one too much to give it up).

Hello HAL - If you have read all 7-pages and are now reading this... I just really don't care how an upgrade is determined. Just please pick me!

Or Mr NW Guy...u can always borrow my low cut posh frock???:D

Second - once on the ship two ladies were upgraded from an inside to a nice outside cabin. One of them had limited mobility and she could not get into/out of the tub/shower. She needed a true shower and a cabin near an elevator lobby. Ours fit the bill exactly and we were asked (by HAL folks) if we would be willing to trade. That decision took all of a few seconds. We were given the opportunity to visit their cabin before the trade was finalized.

Both of these experiences were win/win/win situations. Others got what they needed, we got a nicer cabin and HAL had happy customers.

From the way this is worded, it looks like you went from your cabin (whatever that was) to their inside cabin. Is that right or is it the other way around?

It worked for us. On our first cruise in the late 90s, we reserved the most inexpensive cabin that had an outside view and bathtub. When we checked in, they gave us a different cabin number which confused us. Then we got to that new cabin and found a verandah.

The unexpected upgrade contributed to making that first cruise extra special. We've done a number of cruises since then, all with HAL and always booking at least a verandah cabin (because we enjoyed the first one too much to give it up).

HAL sneaked a suite on us and it has been hard to go back too. Bad, bad HAL.:cool:

This sounds quite unusual, to be assigned immediately when booking a guarentee. I think you did not really have a "guarentee" but your TA or HAL just chose the cabin.

Something similar happened to us once when our TA forgot to mark "guarentee" and we were "assigned" the first cabin available from the list. We got that changed right away and eventually were assigned 7 categories higher that the guarentee category.

Have a great cruise on the Statendam!

Is the only reason to book a guarantee to possibly get an upgrade? How would you have felt if HAL finally gave you what you paid for? would you have been un-happy?

Hello HAL - If you have read all 7-pages and are now reading this... I just really don't care how an upgrade is determined. Just please pick me!

This is funny...We travel with Friends & are just the opposite as have our bookings marked do not up-grade..

Cheers.:).Betty

HAL had a good sale, a VF cabin for the price of an outside, so we took advantage of it & booked a forward VF cabin with our Cruising Buddies on the Noordam B2B in Nov..The cabins are fairly close to each other but not connected..We normally book mid-ship outside, but figured we could deal with this as long as it was forward & not Aft..

We all really would have liked to have a cabin with a Plexiglas rail, however because were booked with our Friends, we still have our bookings marked do not up-grade..

Couple of questions on upgrades:

1) Did we make a mistake in saying do not upgrade.

2) Would HAL upgrade one party & not the other even though our bookings are linked?

3)Also, when HAL upgrades, would they assign an AFT cabin, which I'm not crazy about, (unless of course it was a suite:;) LOL)

4) Would we have a choice to accept or not accept the up-grade, if we removed the "Do not upgrade from our Bookings"?

Realize you all say to book what you will be happy with..Since we have another long cruise booked for Jan, figured we would be happy with this, as we'll still be with our good buddies...

Thanks for your ideas..

Cheers....:)Betty

HAL had a good sale, a VF cabin for the price of an outside, so we took advantage of it & booked a forward VF cabin with our Cruising Buddies on the Noordam B2B in Nov..The cabins are fairly close to each other but not connected..We normally book mid-ship outside, but figured we could deal with this as long as it was forward & not Aft..

We all really would have liked to have a cabin with a Plexiglas rail, however because were booked with our Friends, we still have our bookings marked do not up-grade..

2) Would HAL upgrade one party & not the other even though our bookings are linked?

3)Also, when HAL upgrades, would they assign an AFT cabin, which I'm not crazy about, (unless of course it was a suite:;) LOL)

4) Would we have a choice to accept or not accept the up-grade, if we removed the "Do not upgrade from our Bookings"?

Realize you all say to book what you will be happy with..Since we have another long cruise booked for Jan, figured we would be happy with this, as we'll still be with our good buddies...

Thanks for your ideas..

Betty,

If you allow yourself to be upgraded you have no say in the cabin, etc.

I'd far rather tell my TA I am open to an upsell - usually you know the cabin or whatever and can make a sound decision.

Just my thoughts:)

Thanks for your ideas..

Betty just a little inside info, first if you are linked with another party for Dining they will not move you. They already figure you chose a cabin to be near who you are traveling with. Oddly I have seen cases where the cabins of those traveling together are no where close and even though linked HAL gives that reason. Now the other thing is you also will not get notification of purchasing an Up sell on the first round when linked and marked Do Not Upgrade. It is not till they send out a 2nd or sometimes 3rd email making this offer that you will even know there is such an offer unless you have a TA that keeps calling to check on Up Sell offers. If you are booked direct with HAL or have a PCC they will NOT contact you for any Up Sell if those two things exist on your booking.

The other thing is if you have already chosen a cabin number truthfully it is higherly unlikely HAL will move you and or upgrade you. Granted they can and I have only read stories here on CC that it has happened but I do believe it is very rare. So to answer question number 2, No if you are linked they will not move either of you.

I have seen one exception to the Upgrade and that is sometimes at the pier and unfortunately you do not have a choice but those are usually always nice upgrades. I know of one occasion where someone linked with another party were upgraded to a Full Suite at Check in at the pier but they also started out as a Guarantee cabin to begin with ;)

Betty,

If you allow yourself to be upgraded you have no say in the cabin, etc.

I'd far rather tell my TA I am open to an upsell - usually you know the cabin or whatever and can make a sound decision.

Just my thoughts:)

Thanks Jacqui..Good idea..that's what we did on the Veendam several years ago & took an up-sell to a Lanai.. Loved it..

Also advised our TA that we would consider an up-sell on the Prinsendam in Jan...Should check to see if our Friends would be willing to take an up-sell if it becomes avail. on the Noordam..If not, we'll still be happy, just being on the water with them..They were our Sailing Buddies & we did over 25,000 miles on our two boats with them over 20 years..We miss that, but it's fun when we can sail on big ships with them now...:)

Every week DH asks: How many more days till our next cruise?Think he regreets selling our boat..

Thanks again..:)Betty

Betty just a little inside info, first if you are linked with another party for Dining they will not move you. They already figure you chose a cabin to be near who you are traveling with. Oddly I have seen cases where the cabins of those traveling together are no where close and even though linked HAL gives that reason. Now the other thing is you also will not get notification of purchasing an Up sell on the first round when linked and marked Do Not Upgrade. It is not till they send out a 2nd or sometimes 3rd email making this offer that you will even know there is such an offer unless you have a TA that keeps calling to check on Up Sell offers. If you are booked direct with HAL or have a PCC they will NOT contact you for any Up Sell if those two things exist on your booking.

The other thing is if you have already chosen a cabin number truthfully it is higherly unlikely HAL will move you and or upgrade you. Granted they can and I have only read stories here on CC that it has happened but I do believe it is very rare. So to answer question number 2, No if you are linked they will not move either of you.

I have seen one exception to the Upgrade and that is sometimes at the pier and unfortunately you do not have a choice but those are usually always nice upgrades. I know of one occasion where someone linked with another party were upgraded to a Full Suite at Check in at the pier but they also started out as a Guarantee cabin to begin with ;)

Thanks Lisa...Understand how up-grades work now..We really like to pick our cabins,...Think at this point we'll leave well enough alone since we've already paid for our Grand cruise this year & the difference between an outside & a VD cabin for this extra cruise is a bit more than I want to spend at this point..DH would say lets do it, but we have five Birthdays plus Christmas between Oct. 15 & Dec 25..Now our third Great Grand baby is due in Nov. too..These kids are putting a dent in our yearly Cruise Budget..:D I keep trying to tell them that Summer Babies get better gifts, but they don't seem to believe me..;)

But will talk to our Friends & see if they want to think about an up-sell to a VD if one becomes avail...Actually doubt if one will be offered as believe that just after Thanksgiving & before Christmas, it's a slow time for bookings since most people would want to cruise during the Holidays..

Cheers...:)Betty

Love the comments about the 'upgrade fairy' - how very true. We are avid HAL cruisers although we have cruised other lines. Seem to get great upgrades when we pop back to the 'other cruise lines' every couple of years. We have received upgrades while at ALL HAL star levels and even when we have future cruises already booked. Example, we have 4 cruises booked over the next year and just received an upgrade offer for one of these from an ocean view to a veranda. We do not drink so our on board charges are not that high, we do not take very many HAL excursions, we do complain when we have no air conditioning in our cabin, and I do not have low cut dresses. So the upgrade fairy must be real.

If I were the King of HAL, I would always give great upgrades to first time HAL cruisers. My reasoning is that they would continue to book HAL expecting another great upgrade. Repeat cruisers are already committed, as long as you offer great service.

I'm sorry that this seems cold, but considering the bottom line, that policy is more likely to maximize profits.

I've cruised now around 15 times over a decade +. I've only been upgraded once, on our very first cruise, on Celebrity. So, maybe you have something there about initiating first timers in this way.

I agree about giving them to first time cruisers. But I would also include category upgrades to repeat cruisers in order to increase their cabin spend. If they have always done an outside, move them up to a verandah or suite and then see if they buy a verandah on the next go round. Securing new, loyal customers is important. But so is getting the loyal oldies to spend more and move up a few categories.

I've cruised now around 15 times over a decade +. I've only been upgraded once, on our very first cruise, on Celebrity. So, maybe you have something there about initiating first timers in this way.

Do you mean you booked Guarentees 15 times and were assigned something other than the category you booked only once?

Lisa in post #142 has noted that upgrades for pax who book specific cabins are rare. Usually upgrades are about Guarentees, so this is a confusing issue for me.

Thank you!

Silly us.....

Can you imagine how we could have always, every cruise, booked and paid for our cabin by specific number. All those cruises we could have 'maybe' been upgraded for free to that cabin we have paid for. :(

Maybe one of these days we'll learn and book something lower and hope the upgrade fairy visits us. :D

I wonder how many of us book and pay for all these categories vs how many book guarantees.

Seriously, I think the percentages would be interesting to know.

Do you mean you booked Guarentees 15 times and were assigned something other than the category you booked only once?

Lisa in post #142 has noted that upgrades for pax who book specific cabins are rare. Usually upgrades are about Guarentees, so this is a confusing issue for me.

Thank you!

No, never have booked a GTY on any cruise, including the Celebrity cruise referenced.

Archived