How Holland American decides who gets upgraded

BudinFla

I had a similar reply when I asked why I never get upgrades anymore now since I reached the three star Mariner level. Here is what they said in part .....

"Only if space allows will you receive a complimentary upgrade. Guests should not book a guarantee stateroom planning to be upgraded. You must plan for being assigned into the category you paid for."

Aside from stating the obvious, it implies that I "planned" on getting an upgrade when I booked this cruise. That overstates my position. I simply asked why I NEVER get upgrades anymore. They never answered that question.

Oh well, maybe they will give me another of those service medals again so I can wear two around my neck the next time I attend a dress up party. :)

BudinFla....I think you asked a pretty fair question and deserved a little more courtesy than what you got. I don't think you ever said you expected an upgrade or were unhappy with your room.

However, if an upgrade is available for someone in a certain category, why not the loyal customer? I know Carnival offers past guest specials to book at a lower price and most cruise lines have a past guest cocktail party. It does not make sense to me that the loyal customer gets passed over for an upgrade in favor of the first time cruiser.

I saw the logic that first time cruisers being upgraded is a sound business pratice to generate future revenue. I sure would not see it that way. The letter you got, while diplomatic, sure did not provide you with any clarity. I think there is a better chance that a loyal HAL customer may try another line if they learn of the slight.

As to a retired lawyer booking a lower end room, good money management allows for a lot more travel no matter who you are. The folks in the interior cabins arrive at the same ports, see the same shows, and eat the same food as the folks in the high end staerooms.

Interesting development over at Azamara Club Cruises, the upmarket brand of RCCL. Membership in their past passenger loyalty program (Le Club Voyage) will expire after 3 years of inactivity. I'm not aware of any other cruise line that has an expiration period on their loyalty program. Hope it's not a shadow of things to come. There's current discussion about this issue on the Azamara forum and folks are awaiting an update from the corporate Chief Blogging Officer.

costa's expires after 3 years also.

In late February, we booked an SS cabin on HAL. We were thrilled with the price/cabin/location and some other perks that we received. This week we received an upsell offer for an SA cabin. We grabbed it. We are first time HAL cruisers. Will this make us lean toward HAL again?...absolutely! I have cruised Carnival many times and have never been offered an upgrade or upsell.

I do not think that HAL or any other cruise line has to justify who or why they upgrade customers. Their decisions may impact prospective cruisers buying decisions but that is as far as it goes.

When we buy a stateroom, we do not buy with the assumption that we will upgraded. Not all 'upgrades' are really upgrades based on our personal likes and dislikes.

No one should be moaning and groaning when they get exactly what they purchased and contracted for.

There are just too many complainers, busybodies, and people with a sense of entitlement out there.

Completely agree!

I had a similar reply when I asked why I never get upgrades anymore now since I reached the three star Mariner level. Here is what they said in part .....

"Only if space allows will you receive a complimentary upgrade. Guests should not book a guarantee stateroom planning to be upgraded. You must plan for being assigned into the category you paid for."

Aside from stating the obvious, it implies that I "planned" on getting an upgrade when I booked this cruise. That overstates my position. I simply asked why I NEVER get upgrades anymore. They never answered that question.

Oh well, maybe they will give me another of those service medals again so I can wear two around my neck the next time I attend a dress up party. :)

If it was me I probably would have answered you the same way..It is no ones business who HAL up-grades & why one person might receive an upgrade & not the other...As another poster said, Company's do not have to justify their Business practices..

We are 4 star Mariners, have just booked our 14th HAL cruise & have never been upgraded.. However we have accepted up-sells & only once booked a guarantee..That was because the cruise was full & our Friends talked us into joining them just a few weeks before departure..

Another old thread??!!??

So What! The topic is still relevant & is not outdated..;) Why criticize a New Poster for following Community Guidelines?:confused:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/faq.php?faq=guidelines See Posting & You..

Quote Browse Before You Post

Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. Also, many of the major cruise lines forums have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) topic that has been created by our members. Give that a try first. Browsing is your #1 best resource! Uquote

Cheers...:)Betty

One of my friends books the cheapest inside and except for once has always gotten an upgrade o a window Now they asort of promised her a balcony for the price of an inside

She is very lucky I had to wait for many many cruises before I was ever offered an upgrade

I hope NEW Hal pax ..that would be me this time....do get upgrades I booked a balcony still no cabin

I hope to really like NOORDAM and HAL

Looking forward to a vacation after a very hectic May and so far June ...LORD I NEED A VACATION

Michele

But kitchen is all done !!Renovations are a MESS

So What! The topic is still relevant & is not outdated..;) Why criticize a New Poster for following Community Guidelines?:confused:

Finding and reading old, relevant threads, great! Resurrecting dead threads that had run their course by posting on them, not so great. It prompts people to reply to posters that will likely never see them. :rolleyes:

Finding and reading old, relevant threads, great! Resurrecting dead threads that had run their course by posting on them, not so great. It prompts people to reply to posters that will likely never see them. :rolleyes:

So you also agree that NEW Posters should be criticized for resurrecting old threads that You believe have run their course..

No wonder new posters don't come back to post here!

I don't think they will reveal anything more than this "random" selection reponse, as it is proprietary information, and they don't want to 'open up a can of worms' and get inundated with complaints from those who feel that they were not treated fairly.

There may very well be truth to this speculation.

For those that think the OP is out of line with his complaint, that he should accept what is and pay for what he wants, well okay, that's your opinion.

On the other hand, companies like American Airlines, which has some of the most sophisticated computer programming in the world, makes sure that their most frequent and loyal passengers are recognized and treated accordingly. They have priority for the best seats, upgrades, and many other perks to reward their status.

I don't see why the cruiselines, not just HAL, but all of them, can't do likewise.

Interesting that you show a comparison to American Airlines. The last time I looked (5 min ago) American is in bankruptcy! Guess their "sophisticated computer programming" has not done a good job maximizing revenue :)

Hank

I have to agree with Betty on this one.:D There are people who for whatever reason did not participate in the original discussion, but have searched recently and have questions or comments about what they are reading.

That is why we are here I believe, to help people get current answers to questions. :D Many of those questions have most likely been asked before at least once in the 15 years this site has been in existence. So bringing past threads forward and asking for an update or clarification seems appropriate.;)

I am sure there are others just like me who have cruised numerous times but have never discovered this website. Thus, when they finally join they may benefit from updating past threads. I am constantly telling friends about this website.

I have to agree with Betty on this one.:D There are people who for whatever reason did not participate in the original discussion, but have searched recently and have questions or comments about what they are reading.

That is why we are here I believe, to help people get current answers to questions. :D Many of those questions have most likely been asked before at least once in the 15 years this site has been in existence. So bringing past threads forward and asking for an update or clarification seems appropriate.;)

I might agree with you but why don't they just start a new thread, now there's a thought........

I might agree with you but why don't they just start a new thread, now there's a thought........

At times there may be information previously provided in the original thread that is still relevant to the current question. In it's guidelines, CC suggests we not to start a thread if it's been previously posted or was my understanding way back when.

I just would hesitate to criticize any cruiser for poising a new question on an old thread. Unless of course, it's a smoking thread and they are trying to 'ignite that old butt' again! (joking pretty much ;) )

I think because once someone starts a new thread, then someone will , no doubt, come on here saying, "this topic has been exhausted in numerous threads" and "if you do a simple search, you will find the answers to your questions." am I right?! :D

I think because once someone starts a new thread, then someone will , no doubt, come on here saying, "this topic has been exhausted in numerous threads" and "if you do a simple search, you will find the answers to your questions." am I right?! :D

Usually it's just one poster that brings out that tired old song:D.

If I were the King of HAL, I would always give great upgrades to first time HAL cruisers. My reasoning is that they would continue to book HAL expecting another great upgrade. Repeat cruisers are already committed, as long as you offer great service.

I'm sorry that this seems cold, but considering the bottom line, that policy is more likely to maximize profits.

Exactly, I would use the upgrade to set the hook. So to speak.

D

Interesting that you show a comparison to American Airlines. The last time I looked (5 min ago) American is in bankruptcy! Guess their "sophisticated computer programming" has not done a good job maximizing revenue :)

AMR's bankruptcy has very much to do with every single one of its mainline competitors (those who fly internationally) doing the same to reject/abrogate labour contracts, lease contracts, pension obligations (offloaded onto U.S. taxpayers, of which I am not one :D , courtesy of the Pension Benefit Guarantee Corp.) and various such. All also done (some more than once) by United, Continental, Delta, Northwest and USAirways. AMR tried to stay out of bankruptcy but couldn't given its competitive disadvantage.

I was thinking the same thing myself:p

Archived