How Holland American decides who gets upgraded

BudinFla

Bob, frequent flyer programs require annual qualification for elite status, cruise lines don't. American Airlines doesn't much care if you or I flew 50,000 or 100,000 miles aboard their planes 5 years ago or even two years ago. By-and-large, they only cater to those who frequently darkened their doors the prior year. Other than the lifetime million-miler plateau, there aren't any milestones that I know of that gain any benefits like preferred boarding or upgrade preferences. (Even then, the million-milers I know personally say the benefits aren't as good as they once were.)

Are you suggesting the cruise lines follow suit? I'd suggest being careful what you wish for - you might get it. Along with $150 change fees for changing a booking. Or $100 fees to redeposit a future cruise credit after someone decides not to use it for a specific cruise after all.

The airlines, collectively, are more or less at the leading edge of marketing. They started the 'yield management model' for squeezing the most profits out of each available seat. The hotels and car rental companies and other types of businesses have followed suit.

The cruiselines also use it for pricing fares. And while we won't like it, they eventually may also emulate charging for changes.

Yes, airlines do require you to annually qualify for highest status, but on the other hand, they allow occasional passengers to accumulate miles over the years that can be traded for upgrades or best-of-all, free flights.

I would gladly yield all other perks that cruiselines bestow on past passengers if I could get a free cruise after paying for so many.:)

...frequent flyer programs require annual qualification for elite status, cruise lines don't...
Interesting development over at Azamara Club Cruises, the upmarket brand of RCCL. Membership in their past passenger loyalty program (Le Club Voyage) will expire after 3 years of inactivity. I'm not aware of any other cruise line that has an expiration period on their loyalty program. Hope it's not a shadow of things to come. There's current discussion about this issue on the Azamara forum and folks are awaiting an update from the corporate Chief Blogging Officer.

If I were the King of HAL, I would always give great upgrades to first time HAL cruisers. My reasoning is that they would continue to book HAL expecting another great upgrade. Repeat cruisers are already committed, as long as you offer great service.
First timers often get excellent upgrades, as noted frequently on this forum. On their first cruise my DBil/DSil booked an H, were first assigned an E, and two days before sailing were moved to a VE!

Interesting development over at Azamara Club Cruises, the upmarket brand of RCCL. Membership in their past passenger loyalty program (Le Club Voyage) will expire after 3 years of inactivity. I'm not aware of any other cruise line that has an expiration period on their loyalty program. Hope it's not a shadow of things to come. There's current discussion about this issue on the Azamara forum and folks are awaiting an update from the corporate Chief Blogging Officer.

Uh, Oh.

Let's hope that their past passengers show their displeasure over this strongly enough that Azamara recants this policy.

But it may be just a 'trial balloon' for RCI...

Yes, airlines do require you to annually qualify for highest status, but on the other hand, they allow occasional passengers to accumulate miles over the years that can be traded for upgrades or best-of-all, free flights.

True, but availability is subject to capacity controls, which have become even tighter in recent years, and changes in miles required to secure the seat, which have increased dramatically as well. It wasn't so very long ago that 30,000 miles or less was all that was needed to secure an easily obtained upgrade for a R/T flight to Europe on any airline off of one of the lower (but not the lowest) coach fare classifications. Those days are long-gone, and occasional fliers are less likely to obtain upgrades for reasonable combinations of fares+mileage. When once one could snag a free business or first class seat for 60,000 miles R/T, "free flights" at the minimum advertised mileage requirement aren't easily booked these days, either. Independent frequent flyer forums are full of complaints from elite passengers about the lack of availability of seats.

FWIW, Bob, I'm not trying to be negative just to be negative, just pointing out it isn't as straightforward or easy as it sounds. (I'm glad I did my frequent flying when the requirements were different and the rewards more meaningful/usable. :))

I would gladly yield all other perks that cruiselines bestow on past passengers if I could get a free cruise after paying for so many.:)
I think Crystal Cruises does just that. IIRC, after 20 cruises, the next one is on them. As I recall, some wag commented on the Crystal board, "Big deal! I spend $500,000 and all I get is a free one-week cruise?," or words to that effect. My immediate thought was, "Hey! It's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick." but I refrained from responding ;).

I think Crystal Cruises does just that. IIRC, after 20 cruises, the next one is on them. As I recall, some wag commented on the Crystal board, "Big deal! I spend $500,000 and all I get is a free one-week cruise?," or words to that effect. My immediate thought was, "Hey! It's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick." but I refrained from responding ;).

Not exactly. There is a free 7-day cruise at 30 cruises (however they do few of those) and the next freebe doesn't come until 70. Blount Small Ship Adventures does give a free cruise after 10. Crystal's loyalty program is discussed in this thread, with my views in post 2:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1232945&highlight=loyalty

I think upgrades are pretty much a random event for most everybody and I don't go into any booking expecting to get more than I paid for. I've actually had my best upgrade luck with BA, getting upgraded to business class twice, both times at the boarding gate, and I have very little status with them.

Roy

I have heard rumors that Holland America will not offer free upgrades to people who cannot even spell the name of the cruise line correctly.

That probably explains why the OP didn't get one.

Phil - naughty, naughty... We all know that you only get DQ'd from upgrades if you can't spell the line's name AND you're a lawyer!:D

I've always hoped that they exclude those that remove auto-tips...

-I hope anyone who reduces the "auto tip" doesn't get an upgrade.

-People who bring their own glass of wine from their cabin to the Crow's Nest don't get and upgrade.

-"Guests" who bring thier own soda/beer/booze drink.... to the "sail away" and leave their trash for the wine stewards to pick up, don't get an upgrade.

AND...if you get an upgrade......be happy. and keep it to yourself.

HAPPY NEW YEAR...may all you travels be fun, and safe.

Where have you received this information??? What you have said definitely makes no sense is not the way it happens. First off Group no matter the size if it is 10 cabins or 100 cabins is normally closed or pulled from the agency at about the time of Final payment In some cases Ttravel agents can still book into groups as long as they have not used up their allotment but HAL will never offer upgrades or move people for any group I am aware of. I think this is just a myth or rumor that some how got started that is totally wrong.

As for what HAL answers I have to agree it makes total sense and it is pretty much the same as what other cruise lines do not just Carnival, which frankly Carnival has nothing do to with this :rolleyes:

The big factor not mentioned that is the real reason is What one person paid for the cabin/category. One person may have paid full rate not checking back to see if there had been any reductions on what they paid, another may have gotten a Flash Rate that was drastically reduced. The person who made the most gets put at the top of the list in the computer system and gets a far better chance of getting an upgrade but yet this also is not a guarantee.

Then again it is sometimes just the UpGrade Fairy :D I have seen some amazing Upgrades to faithful Mariners and first time cruisers. As well as some faithful Mariners that got exactly what they purchased.

I look at it this way.... Ya Win some and you Lose Some, maybe the Upgrade Fairy will appear next time ;)

Lisa!

Thanks for this explanation. You are wonderful to explain things from your unique perspective. Your comments are hugely appreciated!

-I hope anyone who reduces the "auto tip" doesn't get an upgrade.

-People who bring their own glass of wine from their cabin to the Crow's Nest don't get and upgrade.

-"Guests" who bring thier own soda/beer/booze drink.... to the "sail away" and leave their trash for the wine stewards to pick up, don't get an upgrade.

AND...if you get an upgrade......be happy. and keep it to yourself.

HAPPY NEW YEAR...may all you travels be fun, and safe.

Words to live by. And may I add- Tip the Yum Yum Man. Good karma awaits you.

On this thread no one has mentioned the common "upsells." SNIP

First the upsells, then what's left gets the free upgrades, by the computer algorithms sure but I bet they factor in the Mariner status.

I bolded your last sentence..We are 4 star Mariners & just completed our 12th HAL cruise..We've never ever received an up=grade...Took an up=sell to a Lanai on the Veendam to Bermuda in Aug..One of the best cabins we've ever had..It spoiled us & now we will book a Lanai, whenever possible..

First timers often get excellent upgrades, as noted frequently on this forum. On their first cruise my DBil/DSil booked an H, were first assigned an E, and two days before sailing were moved to a VE!

Your family probably booked an "H" Guarantee..That would be the reason for their up grades...Guarantees can be upgraded right up to departure..However you better be happy with what you paid for, as you can just as well not get an up grade.. That's a chance you take when you book a guarantee..

We don't book guarantee cabins unless that's what is left..Even then our TA always tries to get us a confirmed cabin..We normally book mid ship outside cabins..I'm assuming that is why we don't get up grades, but we're happy with what we book..

I have heard rumors that Holland America will not offer free upgrades to people who cannot even spell the name of the cruise line correctly.

That probably explains why the OP didn't get one.

LOL...:):)

The American Airlines AAdvantage program is very much valued by the company, as it is a great weapon in the fiercely competitive battle with cut-rate, low budget airlines that have much lower labor costs.

Frequent business flyers can use their miles earned in short domestic flights to take vacations around the world.

When our DD was living in the UK, we flew AA to London every year. Every year I had miles expire before I could use them. Finally I had enough for a flight to Seattle, and suggested we use them but was overrided by DW (married men know what I'm talking about) so we upgraded to 1st class! WOW.:D

Then we found out what DD meant when she said (AA is OK IF you don't get one of the crews from Hell).:eek:

I don't think much of them or their perks.:(

There are a few other possibilities about upgrades/no upgrades that no one has mentioned. First, when you book, your reservation can be marked for no upgrades. You may ask why would someone do this? We do this because we picked our cabin for the location. On an upgrade, it may technically be an upgrade but in an undesireable location. We were on one cruise where the horrible location lead to other issues, and did impact the enjoyablility of the cruise. If you book your cruise through a TA instead of direct, they may mark your reservation for no upgrades.

On upsells, when you book through a TA, the cruiseline has to go through them to ask if you'd consider an upsell and it takes longer than contacting those who book directly with the cruise line.

On an upgrade, it may technically be an upgrade but in an undesireable location. We were on one cruise where the horrible location lead to other issues, and did impact the enjoyablility of the cruise. If you book your cruise through a TA instead of direct, they may mark your reservation for no upgrades.

For sure! I have a specific stateroom, HH (fully obstructed) marked 'No Upgrade' booked on the Volendam because there are several higher cat. (unobstructed) outside rooms I would not consider to be 'better' due to their: location and size/shape. I would be livid if I were 'upgraded' to one of those.

On upsells, when you book through a TA, the cruiseline has to go through them to ask if you'd consider an upsell and it takes longer than contacting those who book directly with the cruise line.

In the interest of expediency - upsells are often (always?) offered on a 'first come, first served' basis - I pre-authorized my TA to accept an offer to any verandah room on my behalf without having to contact me (for up to X no. of dollars). It gives me something to dream about... LOL.

I am sorry HAL still does this. Sometimes you are forced into a guarantee - Prinsendam had this for a portion of their South American cruise - only 39 days of the cruise. You are not allowed to choose a cabin but a category unless you take the full cruise. We chose a C guarantee because we like the deck. We had over 80 days with HAL, booked the first day the itinerary opened, and hoped for the best. At our dining room table there were two other couples on that deck. One booked 8 months later (and with fewer days), one booked 4 months later for an inside, but had never sailed HAL. Both were upgraded to C deck with much more convenient rooms. I have a mobility problem - which was also mentioned to HAL - and we had the least convenient (and farthest forward and farthest from the elevator) cabin of anyone. When I expressed my disappointment to HAL, they said they thought it would be useful for them to take Mariner status into account. Obviously, that hasn't happened yet.

I didn't want a guarantee, but I was sorry that people who had never sailed HAL were given a much more convenient cabin than those of us who had been there before. However, everything else on the ship was great. We were delighted to get to Antarctica while the ships were still allowed to go there.

Not Necessarily, if you have a good TA, that TA already has contacts within HAL at that special department and knows before that broadcast email goes out when there will be offers;) As well as a Good TA will already know when their clients want upgrades and know how much they will pay and have credit card ready without having to contact the client. Booking thru HAL direct you cannot get this done any quicker :D

We are 4-star Mariners and have 15 cruises with HAL thus far. We're not picky about cabin assignment (but picky about the dining room table assignment; to each his/her own!) so we have always just done a guarantee. Our TA knows that we want to hear about upsells (and we've had some good ones!) but truly, we'll be happy with whatever we get on the guarantee. That said, as you know, there are levels of cabins and within that level, several categories. I may have the terms wrong, but you get the idea. We've learned through experience that if, when we book, we start somewhere in a middle or higher category within the level we're willing to pay for, we're much more likely to get an upgrade into the next level. If we've purchased at the bottom of a level any upgrade we might happen to get will just be to a higher level within that category.

I don't think there's ever been a cruise when we didn't get at least a small upgrade within the level we bought. And as I mentioned, some of the upsells we've been offered were fantastic deals and we've bought them. Others, not worth what was being asked so we passed on those. And we've never had a cabin that we weren't just fine with but as I said . . . the cabin isn't our deal-breaker cruise feature. If it were I'd be much more proactive about selecting it.

Not Necessarily, if you have a good TA, that TA already has contacts within HAL at that special department and knows before that broadcast email goes out when there will be offers;) As well as a Good TA will already know when their clients want upgrades and know how much they will pay and have credit card ready without having to contact the client. Booking thru HAL direct you cannot get this done any quicker :D

My point is still the same - HAL contacts your TA (via phone or emails) and not you directly. If you have a good TA (and it's hard to know until it's too late), yes they should have your preferences on file. However, this is not usually the case for new clients unless the clients know enough to share their likes/dislikes. Our TA always goes over our preferences with each booking to make sure nothing has changed, but this is someone we know outside of travel. The TA stories I hear lately, there are many TAs doing the bare minimum and it's hard for someone to know who is good and who is not.

I do not think that HAL or any other cruise line has to justify who or why they upgrade customers. Their decisions may impact prospective cruisers buying decisions but that is as far as it goes.

When we buy a stateroom, we do not buy with the assumption that we will upgraded. Not all 'upgrades' are really upgrades based on our personal likes and dislikes.

No one should be moaning and groaning when they get exactly what they purchased and contracted for.

There are just too many complainers, busybodies, and people with a sense of entitlement out there.

I do not think that HAL or any other cruise line has to justify who or why they upgrade customers. Their decisions may impact prospective cruisers buying decisions but that is as far as it goes.

When we buy a stateroom, we do not buy with the assumption that we will upgraded. Not all 'upgrades' are really upgrades based on our personal likes and dislikes.

No one should be moaning and groaning when they get exactly what they purchased and contracted for.

There are just too many complainers, busybodies, and people with a sense of entitlement out there.

You hit the nail on the head!

Well said.

Absolutely! Book the cabin you want and be happy you're going on a cruise!

Where have you received this information??? What you have said definitely makes no sense is not the way it happens. First off Group no matter the size if it is 10 cabins or 100 cabins is normally closed or pulled from the agency at about the time of Final payment In some cases Ttravel agents can still book into groups as long as they have not used up their allotment but HAL will never offer upgrades or move people for any group I am aware of. I think this is just a myth or rumor that some how got started that is totally wrong.

We weren't exactly a group because there were only 2 cabins booked, but they did upgrade us to the cabin next to my in-laws so that we could be together. It was our first trip on HAL. It wasn't a huge upgrade as we still had an inside cabin but it was on a higher deck,midship and across the hall from my in-law's balcony cabin. It was definitely a higher category.

Archived