How Holland American decides who gets upgraded

BudinFla

SwissMyst, thanks for the info. From what I am seeing, the cabin assignment is all over the board for the Collectors voyages. Months and months to days and days!

We will just wait and see what happens. If we do end up in the VF, I hope it's not one of the forward cabins with the steel balcony wall! Didn't see them till after we booked the VF GTY. Otherwise, the VF's are fine with Marianne and me.

SwissMyst' date=' thanks for the info. From what I am seeing, the cabin assignment is all over the board for the Collectors voyages. Months and months to days and days!

We will just wait and see what happens. If we do end up in the VF, I hope it's not one of the forward cabins with the steel balcony wall! Didn't see them till after we booked the VF GTY. Otherwise, the VF's are fine with Marianne and me.[/quote']

Barcelona to Venice sounds terrific - two of my favorite cities. How many sea days will you have where using your balcony might matter if you get the steel sided one? I seem to remember gazing up at the sky is equally wonderful as being able to see the sea and the horizon, plus who stays awake anyway when lounging on their own private deck? Zzzzzzzzzzz..........

SwissMyst, we have four sea days; however we do like to sit on our veranda for coffee in the a.m. and a glass of wine while getting ready for dinner, so it'd be nice not to have to stand up to see what's around us.

And yes, BCN to VCE is a great itinerary. We have been to all of the ports except Kotor and are looking forward to returning.

SwissMyst' date=' we have four sea days; however we do like to sit on our veranda for coffee in the a.m. and a glass of wine while getting ready for dinner, so it'd be nice not to have to stand up to see what's around us.

And yes, BCN to VCE is a great itinerary. We have been to all of the ports except Kotor and are looking forward to returning.[/quote']

No matter what you end up with, the fresh air and the sea breezes will still make being outside on your own private balcony pretty special. How do you deal with return visits to ports - see new things, or go back to your favorites from other visits? We find we do a combination of both.

Don't know if you stop in Cagliari, Sardinia but on our second visit we took the local train to "Oristano" for a really interesting train ride and charming, elegant little town very much off the beaten tourist path. We had to get off the ship early and get the first train out to make it work for a day trip, but we thought it was well worth it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oristano

No matter what you end up with, the fresh air and the sea breezes will still make being outside on your own private balcony pretty special. How do you deal with return visits to ports - see new things, or go back to your favorites from other visits? We find we do a combination of both.

Don't know if you stop in Cagliari, Sardinia but on our second visit we took the local train to "Oristano" for a really interesting train ride and charming, elegant little town very much off the beaten tourist path. We had to get off the ship early and get the first train out to make it work for a day trip, but we thought it was well worth it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oristano

We do much as you do - revisit or strike off in a different direction - get to see much more than just the 'must see's' this way!

In Sardinia we will be docking in Messina again. We don't know if we will go back to Taormina or tour to Mt Etna and a winery, but we hate all day tours. We feel like we've been pushed around too much, so look for half-day things to do. Your train trip to Cagliari sounds very nice, tho....

Donna

We do much as you do - revisit or strike off in a different direction - get to see much more than just the 'must see's' this way!

In Sardinia we will be docking in Messina again. We don't know if we will go back to Taormina or tour to Mt Etna and a winery' date=' but we hate all day tours. We feel like we've been pushed around too much, so look for half-day things to do. Your train trip to Cagliari sounds very nice, tho....

Donna[/quote']

Messina and Taormina and Mt. Etna are in Sicily and not Sardinia. Just so you are aware of where you are going.

Terri

In Sardinia we will be docking in Messina again. We don't know if we will go back to Taormina or tour to Mt Etna and a winery' date=' but we hate all day tours. We feel like we've been pushed around too much, so look for half-day things to do. Your train trip to Cagliari sounds very nice, tho....

Donna[/quote']

Darn all those far away places with the confusing names and the electronic pixies that can get us all mixed up. I have made bloopers in the past other here will be happy to tell you about :rolleyes: ..... so just for the record in order that others are not confused, Messina is actually in Sicily, and the Sardinia train trip we took left from Cagliari where the ship docked and went to Oristano. It was a pretty nifty train trip.

Messina and Taormina and Mt. Etna are in Sicily and not Sardinia. Just so you are aware of where you are going.

Terri

So sorry,Terri, I know Messina, Taormina and MtEtna are in Sicily; I guess my silly fingers got confused for a minute. Didn't mean to irritate anyone's sensitivity.

Sorry - it's a secret - if you knew how it worked - you wouldn't be able to do it anyways as everyone else would:p:p:p

She just spreads her fairy dust around and who it drops on is who is favoured (or they have a good TA):D

And yes :) she's a woman

So sorry' date='Terri, I know Messina, Taormina and MtEtna are in Sicily; I guess my silly fingers got confused for a minute. Didn't mean to irritate anyone's sensitivity.[/quote']

You didn't irritate me or my sensitivity at all. I just wanted you to be aware of where you were going. No need to apologize.

Terri

We have been lucky to get a couple of upgrade over the years.

The very first time we cruised on HAL, the Statendam in l995 - we were upgraded from a balcony to a delux suite. I am sure our TA pulled some strings to make it happen. When we booked with the TA she had promised a $200 OBC, when we made final payment I did not see anything in writing regarding the OBC and questioned it. The TA did not recall the promise and we had nothing in writing. We chalked it up to poor management on our part, we should have asked for something in writing to begin with and would do so in the future. Before we boarded the ship, the TA called and advised us of the upgrade to the delux suite. It was a real treat - 10 days in the Carribean. Great weather etc.

We had an upgrade on Princess and Celebrity each once. In neither case did we feel we got upgraded because of loyality.

So I doubt loyality is a factor for any of the lines.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I'll wade into this.

We booked with HAL, a few weeks ago. We were guaranteed an outside verandah room, at an extremely good price. Last week we received an upgrade to a nicer outside verandah room (actually, a lot nicer).

Today, we had an email from the Mariner Society that made no sense other than to have us look at our booking.

We are now sailing tomorrow, staying in a superior suite, for about a third of the cost.

Why has this happened? I can't prove it but I believe that it is because we have sailed the equivalent of well over a hundred days with HAL. Friends who are also on this cruise, in the same Mariner class, have received similar upgrades.

So, is it loyalty? Is it random computer glitches? Or is it from saying your prayers?

We don't really care. We will be sailing in posh comfort tomorrow. Thank God.

Okay, I'll wade into this.

So, is it loyalty? Is it random computer glitches? Or is it from saying your prayers?

I'd say it's from anything other than loyalty. Same thing happened on my Veendam cruise. Everyone got the same thing and all of us had differing mariner status. I booked well over a year out, some folks booked at the last minute. Have a wonderful cruise!

I do not think that HAL's reponse was very good. It was gobbly gook. Just another drawer statement intended to soothe the savage beast-I mean the customer.

But they are no different than any other company. I would have preferred them to be direct and just say that it is our business how we assign upgrades and we are not prepared to comment on this part of our sales and marketing strategy.

That would be nearer the truth and it is something that I would readily accept. Or something like MYOB and just book the cabin you want....or do you feel that much of a sense of entitlement? No, I don't think that response would be sent out.

If I were HAL, I would tend to upgrade first time cusomers (especially those whose past cruising history had been on competitve lines) if they were within my target demographic, ie a high chance of them cruising again and again. It is a great way of snagging them for the next cruise.

We know the old dependables will always cruise HAL-no matter what. I guess that is why they send the most attractive financial offers to cruisers at the bottom end of the mariner status. Makes sense to me even if it does seem that they are taking advantage of their most loyal customers.

There is nothing like a nice upgrade so good luck to those who get an upgrade. Enjoy it.

I suspect HAL wants you to book that category of upgrade on your next HAL cruise-and to book that future cruise while you are on board and still basking in that warm and fuzzy feeling that one gets from an unexpected upgrade. As a customer, it makes you feel very special.

On board spending can also play a role in who HAL is looking for. Decorum (you define it) can matter too when they start moving people into the more intimate suite settings that include additional small venue socializing. Have fun with that one.

I suspect that HAL's, and Carnival Corp member cruise line members, have a computer program that analyzes hard facts such as cruising history, cabin category selected, on boad spending, frequency, age, etc.

I somehow doubt that they are keeping track of soft information like who dresses for dinner, who makes good conversation at private events, and who does not complain and who makes excuses for HAL when the AC, plumbing, or some other key engineering function fails in their cabin durning an entire cruise.

They do assign Collector's Cruise cabins earlier so they can offer the same cabin for both cruises.

I'm on NOORDAMS collectors ...still no cabin leaving july 17...so when can I expect mine I'm going the full 20 days

I'm on NOORDAMS collectors ...still no cabin leaving july 17...so when can I expect mine I'm going the full 20 days

As you have been told on your other posts, anywhere from 25 days out to arriving at the pier. The peak time seems to be in the 10-14 days window, which you are in.

I do not think that HAL's reponse was very good. It was gobbly gook. Just another drawer statement intended to soothe the savage beast-I mean the customer.

But they are no different than any other company. I would have preferred them to be direct and just say that it is our business how we assign upgrades and we are not prepared to comment on this part of our sales and marketing strategy.

That would be nearer the truth and it is something that I would readily accept. Or something like MYOB and just book the cabin you want....or do you feel that much of a sense of entitlement? No, I don't think that response would be sent out.

If I were HAL, I would tend to upgrade first time cusomers (especially those whose past cruising history had been on competitve lines) if they were within my target demographic, ie a high chance of them cruising again and again. It is a great way of snagging them for the next cruise.

We know the old dependables will always cruise HAL-no matter what. I guess that is why they send the most attractive financial offers to cruisers at the bottom end of the mariner status. Makes sense to me even if it does seem that they are taking advantage of their most loyal customers.

There is nothing like a nice upgrade so good luck to those who get an upgrade. Enjoy it.

I suspect HAL wants you to book that category of upgrade on your next HAL cruise-and to book that future cruise while you are on board and still basking in that warm and fuzzy feeling that one gets from an unexpected upgrade. As a customer, it makes you feel very special.

I think they are good at luring - agree - we were upsold to suites on our South America cruise (and had a few HAL cruises under our belt) and PH on our Zuiderdam (a few more by then).

However, I have seen new cruisers upgraded and I have heard of 4* mariners upgraded. Maybe there is some logistical, arithmetical calculation but somehow - I think it depends partially on your TA, partially on availability and partially on luck:)

For example on the Prinsendam last year the upsell fairy visited people in category BA and they took the offer for the PH. We received no offer and were booked in S - so go figure? but we don't do a lot of HAL's shore excursions - so maybe that is our downfall:rolleyes: although we do spend plenty of money on the ship:D

I still maintain there is no rhyme or reason to the upsell/upgrade fairy. If there is it is the best kept secret in the world:D

and that's my line and my sticking to it:D

I have to believe that a sophisticated company like Carnival Corp and their subs. would have some sort of very advanced analytical sales/marketing software that looks at past dollars and future dollars for each cruiser...and how to use levers to maximize revenue and profit.

The cruise lines may trot out their heritages to invoke warm customer thoughts-but make no mistake they are driven by quarterly revenue and profits. Maintaining the highest possible stock values are key to their executive compensation plans.

I suspect they know exactly how much revenue and profit to expect in every profit centre on the ship. And broken down by age, sex, marital status, and nationality. This is the core of their business and good data can give them and edge on either realizing more revenue/profit or improving the expense ratios in challenging times.

I would be surprised if upgrades are done in a haphazard fashion though no doubt there are manual overrides.

Kazu answered you on the other thread, where you asked the same qustion..You may not even get your cabin Number before you leave...

As Kazu mentioned you should go on-line if you don't have the cabin before you leave..Look at your check-in page..It may or may not be there...It could be assigned right up to departure..Don't worry, just take a copy of your HAL or TA confirmation & your tickets with you..

Enjoy your cruise..

Cheers...Betty

Two times (in over 15 HAL cruises) we received nice upgrades (inside to unobstructed view cabins) but in each case I know the reason.

First time, according to the phone call we received, there was an unassigned cabin next to us and family wanted to make a somewhat last minute reservation of two adjacent cabins so we were asked if we would move so they could have our cabin as their second cabin.

Second - once on the ship two ladies were upgraded from an inside to a nice outside cabin. One of them had limited mobility and she could not get into/out of the tub/shower. She needed a true shower and a cabin near an elevator lobby. Ours fit the bill exactly and we were asked (by HAL folks) if we would be willing to trade. That decision took all of a few seconds. We were given the opportunity to visit their cabin before the trade was finalized.

Both of these experiences were win/win/win situations. Others got what they needed, we got a nicer cabin and HAL had happy customers.

Archived