Junior suites that have a larger balcony

We are diamond members on RCCL and have always cruised in the aft D1 rooms with the larger balconies. This time, our daughter will be joining us so we want to upgrade to a junior suite for more room. The junior suites on the aft are already taken. Are there any other junior suites that have larger balconies? From looking at the deck diagram, the hump on deck 9 seems to look like the next best option - if so, any particular rooms? We will be on the Mariner. Thanks.

The hump balconies are generally bigger than regular balconies though not nearly as large as aft balconies. I would try to book one of those and then keep an eye on the aft balconies to see if one of them opens up. Be extra vigilant around final payment date. That's your best chance to see one open up.

We are diamond members on RCCL and have always cruised in the aft D1 rooms with the larger balconies. This time, our daughter will be joining us so we want to upgrade to a junior suite for more room. The junior suites on the aft are already taken. Are there any other junior suites that have larger balconies? From looking at the deck diagram, the hump on deck 9 seems to look like the next best option - if so, any particular rooms? We will be on the Mariner. Thanks.

The hump JS balconies are great for being able to see forward & aft..but they are no bigger than any port or starboard side balconies...You will enjoy the JS hump cabin location and the extra room it will give you for three passengers or really any JS cabin location !!!! Enjoy !!!

I would also look to see if 1388 or 1688 are available. They are D1 that are a larger cabin with a sofabed plus a larger corner aft balcony. We have had 1688 twice on the Mariner with our son who was a teen at the time. No problems with 3 in those cabins at all.

A JS balcony is larger than a D or E catagory...because the cabin is wider than those other balcony cabins. Only the "afts" have deeper balconies...the width remains the same. You will have plenty of room on your Js balcony for 2 adults and a child.

Edited by cb at sea

Does the website not show any aft balconies or did you talk w/someone in reservations? The website will generally not show all cabins so it's worth a call to talk and ask someone.

We've had the JS Aft on Mariner and Adventure and those balconies are HUGE! Good luck!

Here is a photo of my balcony on the Freedom when I was in a Junior Suite recently.

DSCN0682.jpg

I am standing against the aft wall of my balcony and the section between me and the line across the floor is the width of a standard balcony room.

The section from the line toward the opposite wall is one half of a standard width balcony cabin that was divided in two and added to the cabin on each side so that their actual width is 1 1/2 times that of a regular balcony cabin.

They have taken three standard cabins, split the center cabin in two and added half of its space to the cabin on each side of it to make two Junior Suites. All Junior Suites should have this 50% bigger balcony, anywhere on the ship.

I hope this is clear and helps...

Thanks - this does help. We are so spoiled by the aft balconies and are disappointed that they are not available when our schedule permits us to cruise. Ny daughter is 19, so, we will essentially have 3 adults in the room. I will keep checking - but the photo made me feel better if something else does not come available. Thanks so much!

Just my opinion.

We just got off Freedom about two weeks ago, getting a JS for the first time! Cabin was wonderful. The only problem was our location. I did not do my homework (my fault, nobody elses, I hate it when I do that. :( ) and got the hump cabin directly in front of center hump. We enjoyed the balcony but would have enjoyed it more had it not been for the wind. Being in the front of the hump caused us to catch much more wind than I bargained for. We have been on the hump before and loved it but we were center hump on the others.

Would I take the cabin/balcony again, yes BUT it would not be my first choice because of the extra wind.

Tim

The hump JS balconies are great for being able to see forward & aft..but they are no bigger than any port or starboard side balconies...You will enjoy the JS hump cabin location and the extra room it will give you for three passengers or really any JS cabin location !!!! Enjoy !!!

Not true. We're just off Mariner and stayed in 9318, which not only has a slightly larger balcony than the standard JS cabins, but also is a larger cabin. It has a full sofa instead of the loveseat that I saw in almost every other JS that I peeked into (and I saw quite a few this morning as the cabin stewards were cleaning up). Our friends were in 1394 on the stern, and I didn't care for the balcony - too much superstructure in the way to enjoy the wake view, a bird's eye view of the balcony directly below (although that would bother me more if I'd been in that cabin) and it was almost fully covered and quite oppressive to me, for lack of a better word. Yes, it was huge, but I didn't find it pleasant. And they only had a loveseat, not a full sofa.

The main drawback to 9318 is that it was very windy on the way down & back to Mexico. But I did like the size and the full lounger, plus I LOVED the extra interior space & full sofa. So I'd vote for that or 9618 on the portside.

We've also stayed in 9324 and liked that, found it a bit larger than a standard JS. 9328, on the aft end of the hump, is a bit smaller than a standard JS, so I'd avoid it and its mate on the portside.

Edited by critterchick

Not true. We're just off Mariner and stayed in 9318, which not only has a slightly larger balcony than the standard JS cabins, but also is a larger cabin. It has a full sofa instead of the loveseat that I saw in almost every other JS that I peeked into (and I saw quite a few this morning as the cabin stewards were cleaning up). Our friends were in 1394 on the stern, and I didn't care for the balcony - too much superstructure in the way to enjoy the wake view, a bird's eye view of the balcony directly below (although that would bother me more if I'd been in that cabin) and it was almost fully covered and quite oppressive to me, for lack of a better word. Yes, it was huge, but I didn't find it pleasant. And they only had a loveseat, not a full sofa.

The main drawback to 9318 is that it was very windy on the way down & back to Mexico. But I did like the size and the full lounger, plus I LOVED the extra interior space & full sofa. So I'd vote for that or 9618 on the portside.

We were just in JS 9618 on the Navigator and it was very nice. The cabin and balcony seemed to be larger than other JR suites I have seen.

• 2 weeks later...

I have aft JS 1394 on hold on the Mariner for a 12 day cruise. It's $1200 more than the aft D1 I'm in now (different sail date though). We've been in the aft D1s before but never a JS back there - do you think it's worth it since we will be gone so many days? There are only 2 of us now, but, my daughter (19) is considering joining us. Also, does anyone know if 1394 been updated yet with the flat screen?

• 5 years later...

We just got off Oasis in Owner's Suite (11644) which has a huge balcony on the aft hump (starboard). We had no wind problems whatsoever and enjoyed eating breakfast and dinner several days...

Edited by CruiszBug