self serve laundry facilities on Eclipse

CPCruisers

We are looking forward to our first Celebrity Cruise, we usually cruise with Princess. Am I correct that there are not any self serve laundry facilities on the Eclipse? This will make light packing more difficult and it was very handy to be able to touch up items with an iron. The Princess ships I have sailed on have all had a room on each deck with washers/dryers and irons.

We are looking forward to our first Celebrity Cruise, we usually cruise with Princess. Am I correct that there are not any self serve laundry facilities on the Eclipse? This will make light packing more difficult and it was very handy to be able to touch up items with an iron. The Princess ships I have sailed on have all had a room on each deck with washers/dryers and irons.

You are correct....

Is an iron available? If not in the room, can we secure from room attendant?

I hate wrinkles (especially on my face;)).

Celebrity does not allow any irons. At least everyone is in the same boat (pun intended)! Pack your clothes with dry cleaner bags and any wrinkles will be very minimal. I have to say that I haven't tried this on my face lol:D

I know on some lines you can request the loan of an iron from your steward --- is that not available at all on Celebrity? I also am accustomed to Princess where each deck has a laundry room with irons always available. No matter how carefully I pack, some of my items seem to end up a little wrinkled! Do people send them out to be pressed at the laundry service (I'm assuming there IS a laundry/dry cleaning service available!).

Yes, you can get your items pressed. And no, irons are not avail for 'loan'. Not that expensive. We usually have no real issues since most of the wrinkles fall out, and I guess we don't really sweat it that much and wear as is. the laundry is good and reliable. We've cut down on what we take with us more and more, use the laundry, do a few in the sink/shower and all is well.

Ive been using those mixed nylon zippered pants that go as shorts also and they dry out very quickly.

We will be cruising on Princess next year....don't know if we'll take advantage of self-laundry or not. Im not big on doing laundry on a cruise so we'll see.

Den

• 2 years later...
Just a wee tip from travelling, I use my hair straighteners:) Might be worth a try depending on the item?

Please be VERY careful if you follow this tip, it's a regular reason for fires in student dorms

As others have said careful packing and hanging items on back of the shower door to steam out creases works fine. Ships laundry is good as well. Very happy not to feel under any pressure to pack the iron or visit the ships laundry room when on Celebrity, so helps make it feel like a real holiday

Celebrity does not allow any irons. At least everyone is in the same boat (pun intended)! Pack your clothes with dry cleaner bags and any wrinkles will be very minimal. I have to say that I haven't tried this on my face lol:D

:D:D Funny!!

Celebrity has no facilities nor equipment for do it yourself ironing or steaming and prohibits passengers from bringing irons and steamers on board.

That doesn't bother me much as I just send the items that need pressing into the ship's laundry for their pressing services. On the one hand it seems high to spend a few dollars per item for pressing, even though the pressing only rates are lower than the laundry and dry cleaning rates. On the other hand an extra $15 or $30 to have all the items that need pressing done for me isn't a deal breaker and won't prevent me from enjoying my cruise. Same thing for laundry - it is just part of the cruise budget and I'd rather spend the price of a few drinks on laundry during the cruise then spend precious cruise time in a laundry room.

Last time we were on the Summit, they had an offer about mid cruise offering a bag that you could put as much clothing in as you could make fit and they would launder it for $20. You got it back the next day.

They don't always offer such specials and when they do it does not usually include any pressing. Items on the bulk specials are returned unpressed but usually neatly folded while the normal per item laundry rates include pressing and return on hangers for appropriate items.

Recently sent laundry whilst on Eclipse however, it was not returned until 4th day - should have been returned following day. This was because they were having problems with the washing machines. However, husbands formal shirt was part of the wash! Thankfully he did have another which had been worn:eek: - we put it in the bathroom with shower creating steam :p to freshen it. No one notices or at least they didn't say anything:D

We actually use this steaming method to get creases out of clothes - no problem so far

Not having self laundry facilities on Celebrity is one big drawback for me. Hard to do any longer cruises.

Just did 27 days on the Silhouette and did not have an issue with my clothing. I hung everything that would wrinkle and all was fine. I did hand rinse a few things as needed. Bags of laundry were $35.00, $20.00 if you were select and a free bag for Elite. You could fit a lot in the bag if you were strategic about it. Most of my nicer tops I wore to dinner and possibly the show if I went so they did not soil after one use.

I have never had a problem with wrinkling of laundry...they do a pretty good job of folding and I take shirts that really don't need to be ironed. I am also not one who starches dress shirts or cares if my shirt is slightly wrinkled...if you wear any shirt outdoors in warm weather it will wrinkle in the first few minutes anyway.

For those that are desperate to try DIY laundry, I point out that the hot tubs are generally pretty empty late at night and perhaps with the addition of a little soap, one could have creative and perhaps quite effective washer. Just rinse in the pool.

Not having self laundry facilities on Celebrity is one big drawback for me. Hard to do any longer cruises.

For us it is very easy to enjoy longer cruises. Nothing hard about it. We just pay to have our laundry done and enjoy the cruise! As a percentage of the overall vacation cost it is indeed a rounding error.

We were just in Eclipse for 13 nights, followed by 3 days in London and I packed for about 8. I sent laundry out twice, plus I brought some sink sized packets of liquid Tide and washed out several items, then hung them in the shower to dry. I also carry Downy Wrinkle Release and it works well.

While we her receive laundry coupons as part of our loyalty package, if we didn't have the coupons we would have spent about $80 on laundry - cheaper than taking two extra checked bags on the flights - plus we came home with clean clothes and I didn't have to spend a minute doing laundry! For me, THAT'S a vacation! :)

It is very sad that a modern cruise line like Celebrity doesn’t have self service laundry facilities. I recently completed an 18 day cruise on the Solstice, I sent out a few items for laundering half way through the cruise, a couple of t-shirts had marks on them which I pointed out on the laundry docket. The t-shirts came back still stained and my husband shirts didn't look like they had been pressed or ironed.

I had a word with our Concierge manager, she gave me a voucher to have the shirts re-ironed, apparently if you want anything ironed you need to state the word "Iron" otherwise the garments are steamed.

I have no problem doing my own hand washing and hanging it on the balcony using my clothes line, but it would be nice if Celebrity offered an Ironing room, I understand the no irons in the room policy but an ironing room with automatic iron switch off could be implemented.

I haven't heard of any other cruise ship going up in smoke because of self service washing and ironing facilities.:rolleyes:

It is very sad that a modern cruise line like Celebrity doesn’t have self service laundry facilities. I recently completed an 18 day cruise on the Solstice,

Sorry the no laundry room made you sad. But, was the cruise OK?

No Celebrity ship has self-service laundry or ironing facilities. Has nothing to do with being "modern" but much to do with many other factors, among them:

1. devoting a space to self-serve laundry machines means removing it as a stateroom, thus reducing revenue

2. user errors in self-serve laundries mean that machines frequently break, overflow, and flood nearby areas (yes, it happens that passengers don't read the directions, use too much detergent, attempt to dye clothes in the washers, and otherwise cause the machines to malfunction)

3. passenger stress increases when too many passengers jostle for machines (yes, it happens that fights do erupt when people remove others' clothes from machines -- think college dorm behavior all over again)

Many passengers, as you can read from the hundreds and hundreds of posts on this issue, simply factor in the cost of laundry as one of the costs of cruising.

No Celebrity ship has self-service laundry or ironing facilities. Has nothing to do with being "modern" but much to do with many other factors, among them:

1. devoting a space to self-serve laundry machines means removing it as a stateroom, thus reducing revenue

2. user errors in self-serve laundries mean that machines frequently break, overflow, and flood nearby areas (yes, it happens that passengers don't read the directions, use too much detergent, attempt to dye clothes in the washers, and otherwise cause the machines to malfunction)

3. passenger stress increases when too many passengers jostle for machines (yes, it happens that fights do erupt when people remove others' clothes from machines -- think college dorm behavior all over again)

Many passengers, as you can read from the hundreds and hundreds of posts on this issue, simply factor in the cost of laundry as one of the costs of cruising.

I have no problem factoring in the cost of laundry, and I did, but it was poorly done.

There are just as many posts from people requesting laundry facilities as there are against.

Space to me isn't an issue, customer service should take preference.

... apparently if you want anything ironed you need to state the word "Iron" otherwise the garments are steamed....

I've never had any issues with the pressing of dress shirts, or other button up shirts or any other article of clothing that one would expect to be pressed when sent in for laundry at the piece rate. Always came back nicely pressed and I send a few items in at the beginning of every cruise and usually a few during each cruise. I've never had to include special instructions to get these type of items pressed.

I guess laundry facilitates on cruise ships varies by cruise line just like some motels have laundry rooms and other hotels don't. For better or worse Celebrity doesn't and one can either take it in stride and pay for the laundry or take their business to a cruise line which has a self serve laundry. Personally, I can't get too excited either way.

Archived