How are the desserts on the Freedom of the Seas

NMG318

Is there a charge for the cookies and sandwiches at the Cafe?:)

No charge---you pay only for specialty drinks at the Cafe Prominade.

I'm not crazy about most MDR desserts on Royal Caribbean. The best dessert we had the entire week on Freedom (Jan 29 cruise) was the tiramisu served in Portofino at the pasta demonstration lunch.

Also I ordered two chocolate birthday cakes ($14.98 each) for my sister's birthday. They were so darned delicious and beautifully decorated that I had to wonder why Royal can't have chocolate cake that good on a regular basis.

My sisters and I joked that if RCI pastry chefs would just read Southern Living or Martha Stewart's magazines, the desserts could be amazing.

There's a Cupcake Cupboard on Freedom too, according to the deck plans on the RCI website. There's a charge for them, think I read in other threads that it's $2.50? They look large in the pictures I have seen, lots of selections. Seems most people say they are good, not great. I don't personally know... yet.

Since I was the OP I should report my findings on the Freedom of the Seas this last July. Sadly, overall they weren't that good. The waiter did recommend against a couple of the deserts throughout the week (not sure why RCL spends money on deserts they know people aren't eating...maybe they need to talk to the people clearing the tables). To satisfy my chocolate addiction, I had to make a daily trip to Ben and Jerry's.

How about the cupcakes????????

The cupcakes are good but there is a charge.

I agree with the PP most deserts were just okay. There is a Molton Chocolate cake thing that was amazing in the MDR. Our whole table asked for a special set made for us for our next night and they did.

I always found the Main Dining Room and Windjammer desserts to be light and refreshing. I know the cheesecake isn't "real" cheesecake but that's ok with me. If I want real cheesecake, I'll go to the Cheesecake Factory. After a multi-course meal I don't care for a really large heavy dessert anyways.

The dessert cups in Sorrento's (especially the Tiramisu) and cookies in Cafe Promenade are excellent!

I agree with the PP most deserts were just okay. There is a Molton Chocolate cake thing that was amazing in the MDR. Our whole table asked for a special set made for us for our next night and they did.

Was it offered early or late in the cruise? Maybe I can request it for every night? ;)

The only thing I will miss from Carnival is the warm chocolate melting cake (aka lava cake).

Could anyone compare FOTS's food to a restaurant? Just to have an idea of what I'm looking at, because I read so many negative comments of the ship's food compared to other ships, but that doesn't really help many of us. :o

Was on the FOS last week,,have to say the food has gone down some from last year,,you won't go hungry,,but they are cutting back on alot of things,,including desserts,,they used to be yummy....Oh and yes,,the soups,,nothing very appealing for me last week,,and I love soup...:eek:

Freedom's dessert fare is very much the same as other RCL ships in that they use the same recipes. We have found them to be good to very good on all RCL ships in the last few years. Freedom was no exception. Those that expect 5 star dining to include deserts should book a 5 star cruise line. You do indeed get what you pay for.

Also, we have been sailing on RCL for a good number of years and have noticed no significant decline in food quality for the pretty constant fares we have been paying. :D

Could anyone compare FOTS's food to a restaurant? Just to have an idea of what I'm looking at, because I read so many negative comments of the ship's food compared to other ships, but that doesn't really help many of us. :o

My opinion...the main courses (MDR) are as good or much better than restaurant food. The deserts are much much worse than restaurant food. As always the service (waiters) have always been 5 stars.

Freedom's dessert fare is very much the same as other RCL ships in that they use the same recipes. We have found them to be good to very good on all RCL ships in the last few years. Freedom was no exception. Those that expect 5 star dining to include deserts should book a 5 star cruise line. You do indeed get what you pay for.

Also, we have been sailing on RCL for a good number of years and have noticed no significant decline in food quality for the pretty constant fares we have been paying. :D

Not expecting 5 star desserts, but I am expecting 3-4 star desserts, not 2-3 star dessert. I get my 3-4 star desserts at Ben and Jerry's when on the FOS....shouldn't have to.

Informal poll on this thread, 6 positive, 15 not positive...you be the judge.

My opinion...the main courses (MDR) are as good or much better than restaurant food. The deserts are much much worse than restaurant food. As always the service (waiters) have always been 5 stars.

Thank you so much. :) This helps a lot. I can now know what to expect.

Archived