Half Moon Cay

Wilbo

Best: being on such a beautiful private island and NOT being hassled to buy something or being pestered by vendors. Just being able to relax.

Worst: Having been there only once.....can't think of anything. Yeah, the BBQ lunch wasn't top gourmet. However, I can be quite the food critique and I found it to be very enjoyable. Oh, just thought of something as the "worst"....the TERRIBLE Margarita served me at the "Bell Bar". Honestly, I rarely drink and that Margarita could not possibly have had any alcohol. This is one criticism of HAL is that their drinks are more than watered down...but that is for another thread.

What is your best/worst experience at Half Moon Cay?

The Worst: Being unable to do more than barely dip my toes into the sand at the edge of a sidewalk because there was no way to get my scooter near the beach or the Clam Shell that I'd rented.:mad: There were no Beach wheel chairs available as others were already utilizing them:(

The Second Worst: The food was cold and tasteless. I went back to the ship and ate in the Lido.

The Best: The Tender ride was wonderful and after experiencing the worst (see above) going back to the ship and pretending it was my private yacht:)

Joanie

Best: Spending the day in the absolute decadence of the Grand Cabana. :D

Worst: Spending the day with butler service in the terracotta cabana. (hey---only been there twice, and this comes in second :rolleyes:)

Best: Spending the day in the absolute decadence of the Grand Cabana. :D

Worst: Spending the day with butler service in the terracotta cabana. (hey---only been there twice, and this comes in second :rolleyes:)

It's a tough life eh;)

DW and I have been to HMC nine times, the first one in early 1998, within the first month after it opened, and the last in Feb. 2010. A lot has changed, most for the better, as things have been added through the years.

Best -- one of the things we like to do is catch the earliest tender we can (now that they use large contract ones instead of ship lifeboats, it goes much more quickly), and then head out up the crescent beach, past the cabanas, past the horse corrals, to the point where the way is blocked by rocks. If we are early enough, we are the first ones. We then look back along the strand, and imagine that we are alone together in Paradise, with no one but us on this, our own island. We always stack another rock on the pilgrimage piles as we head back down the beach. (Look for them if you go that far). Then we laze about, swim or snorkel, sunbathe/burn, and sit at the I Could Stay Here Forever bar, until we take the tender back to the ship.

Worst -- missing it altogether due to high winds in March 2010 on the second half of our Collectors Cruise.

The lunch is pretty good but plain fare, although the semi-wild chickens, lizards and banaquit birds are very enthusiastic about the virtues of sharing. Last time, we went back for the Lido lunch and enjoyed that very much as well.

Dave

Best: Having the last cabana down the beach, and swimming in the wonderful water all afternoon. Pure relaxation.

Worst: Seeing the crew gathering and taking away all the bottled water and sodas from said cabana at least 2 hours before the last tender back to the ship. Since we were enjoying said wonderful water, we were too far away to stop them. :(

Best: Sailing with my family of five on a Hobie Cat during our visit there on Noordam 12/23- 12/30 cruise.

Less good: Too much current to have clear view for snorkeling.

Worst: A 4 year old drowned in the unsupervised children's play area in the sea. Everyone who witnessed or heard about this tragedy felt awful for the rest of the cruise.

Alert to all visitors to Half Moon Cay: THERE IS NO LIFEGUARD. WATCH YOUR CHILDREN IN OR NEAR THE WATER!

The best was being there for the first time ever and enjoying a cabana in the lovely warm sunshine, on one of the most beautiful beaches I've been to.

Can't think of the worst....even if the food was not the greatest the beautiful island made up for it big time:) Actually the worst would be missing the island due to weather, especially is you have been there before and know what you are missing.:(

One of the best was discovering the new cabana furniture a couple of years ago.

I haven't really had a worst yet, but I suspect it'll be trying to get fed at the buffet with 2 ships in port this March. If the weather is good, I sure don't want to have to go back to the ship for lunch!

Best.Easy Of course, any day at the beach is better than the best possible day at the office!

Worst, hmm, that would be not being able to lounge on the beach, dip my toes into that beautiful water, listen to the band at a long distance away, watch a toddler giggle as they splash in the surf, visiting the island on the way home...knowing my trip is about to end!

It's all relative.

Worst: Rude other passenger. Coming back from the Ladies room on HMC and being asked "Do you know where the food is?" by an older lady. "I don't know" I replied but I tried to be helpful and replied "You could probably just follow the line. I think the BBQ is that way."

She said "Well it's getting late. Have you eaten?" I replied "Yes ma'am, but I think it is over that way." She said "You don't have to be rude, you just have to tell me where you got your food."

I said "My butler brought it to me."

Best: Having my wonderful butler Andy from Romania bring me my food. Spending the day with my DH at one of the most beautiful places on earth. Still have a picture of DH floating on a lounger on my desk.

Archived