Maps of Ports?

mrar

First time cruiser - Does Princess provide maps of ports that are detailed enough that you could navigate downtown areas and things like that or should I try to print out maps before we leave? For example, be able to find specific jewelry stores and restaurants in St. Thomas?

Thanks! I have done some research, so I do know the shops I want to go to, I just don't know how to get there! Also, we will be in San Juan for a few days and would like to check out some forts and OSJ on our own; does anyone know the best way to acquire a good map of San Juan?

Many of the larger hotels in SJU will have free maps of OSJ and they're pretty good for shopping. They're usually larger & more magnified and are much easier to carry than a big travel book.

Be prepared for a lot of humidity in SJU. We got caught in a rainstorm and I don't think our clothes dried out after 4 days of staying there! Enjoy!

Or Tanzanite International!

Print out google maps with the locations you want to visit and use the Princess maps for comparison.

Yes, we were in OSJ and used the map given to use at the Hilton--it was in enough detail for us.

Princess' port maps are next to useless unless you only want to shop in their "reccommended" stores. They really don't show much else or supply much information. If you want to know all about Diamonds International, these are for you.
IMO the only thing they are good for is they usually have the port agents tel #. Get your own maps & guidebooks b4 you board.

On our most recent cruise, I had maps from the Auto Club for each of the ports as well as brochures I was mailed from the websites for those ports. When we got to each port, I put the Auto Club map, the brochure and that day's insert from the Patters in my purse. In the first place, my teen wanted to see a specific store and I decided we could walk there from the cruise terminal (about a mile and a half in high humidity....a few weeks later, I don't think my daughter has forgiven me yet). I had the map from the insert out and was going by that. A mistake as the map indicated the street the store was on went up to one particular street. As it turned out, the two streets didn't meet at all. I had us turn on the wrong street, and when we walked by the street number, couldn't find the building. Got out the Auto Club map and saw that the street we wanted was one to the east.

My suggestion is use a more complete map than the one Princess will give you if you have specific destinations.

Archived