Platinum~Emerald~Diamond~Diamond Plus~Pinnacle Balcony Discounts as of Jan. 21, 2011

I called Royal anyway. She stated that since the actual ship was booked within 6 months, the extra $25 was out. I then asked why the taxes and fees were higher for me, but not for somebody booking the same cruise today. Her answer was thats what the taxes and fees were when I booked the next cruise in December. So, they interpret things to their advantage. I guess thats the payback for all the years of combining discounts and other benefits.

The rep was correct. Since you booked within 6 months of departure you lost that extra $25.

The taxes that you are charged reflect what they are on the day you book. For some booking early the taxes might be higher/lower and the same would apply to those that book later.

I believe that everything is dependent on what the cruise fare base is the day you book. Higher fare means higher taxes and fees. If the cruise fare is reduced, then the taxes and fees would be lower.

I could be wrong and hopefully someone will correct me.

Edited by cruisenfever

The rep was correct. Since you booked within 6 months of departure you lost that extra $25.

The taxes that you are charged reflect what they are on the day you book. For some booking early the taxes might be higher/lower and the same would apply to those that book later.

I believe that everything is dependent on what the cruise fare base is the day you book. Higher fare means higher taxes and fees. If the cruise fare is reduced, then the taxes and fees would be lower.

I could be wrong and hopefully someone will correct me.

My point is, that for taxes and fees they make the booking date the day the next-cruise is purchased. For the diamond discount its the date the next-cruise is converted. A very contradicting policy. Its only a few bucks, but multiplied by all the next-cruise's sold, it should get the stock out of the nose dive.

My point is, that for taxes and fees they make the booking date the day the next-cruise is purchased. For the diamond discount its the date the next-cruise is converted. A very contradicting policy. Its only a few bucks, but multiplied by all the next-cruise's sold, it should get the stock out of the nose dive.

I would challenge that. We used a NC certificate that was an old one, and had to take the lower balcony discount that was in effect at the time of purchasing the certificate. Taxes and fees were also at time of purchase.

come on, you didn't really expect it to be consistent, did ya?;)

I do not believe this is true.

I would challenge that. We used a NC certificate that was an old one, and had to take the lower balcony discount that was in effect at the time of purchasing the certificate. Taxes and fees were also at time of purchase.

come on, you didn't really expect it to be consistent, did ya?;)

Unfortunately/Fortunately, depending on when a Decide Later (aka NC) is/was purchased..........the purchase date of your NC is the date that determines the benefits one is eligible for.

For all those that had purchased NC bookings prior to December 31, 2009 they are still eligible to combine all benefits including Shareholder, OBC and balcony discount. However, the OBC might be less than it is now for the number of nights, as well as the balcony discount. For those NC that were purchased prior to July 1, 2008, you can throw in a C&A Savings Certificate as well.

The deposit back then was still $100pp, but now when they convert, they may have to pay the full deposit because reduced deposit with no further payments prior to final payment date was not in effect back then. It just depends on the rep you are dealing with.

For those that purchased NC bookings between January 1, 2009 and June 1, 2010 they can not combine benefits.

For those that purchased NC bookings on or after May 17, 2010 they are only eligible for price reductions up until final payment.

It all comes down to the date you purchased your NC.

Edited by cruisenfever

I called Royal anyway. She stated that since the actual ship was booked within 6 months, the extra $25 was out. I then asked why the taxes and fees were higher for me, but not for somebody booking the same cruise today. Her answer was thats what the taxes and fees were when I booked the next cruise in December. So, they interpret things to their advantage. I guess thats the payback for all the years of combining discounts and other benefits.

Want to hear something even weirder? :D I purchased a Next Cruise (Decide Later) certificate on May 6, 2011. (4 weeks ago?) When we returned home on May 29, my mom announced she wanted to go somewhere for Christmas.

I split us up and booked 2 cabins, one with the cert and one with a Friends & Family certificate. $11.34 difference in price between the 2 bookings , just because of taxes and fees. No big deal....but you'd still think that they would be the same price. :rolleyes::D

It was a good price. We're happy and excited to have another cruise booked. :D

• 3 weeks later...
Effective January 21, 2011....here is a breakdown of balcony discounts per cabin for Platinum, Emerald, Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Members as well as OBC being offered when booking on board.

Platinum Balcony Discount When Booking More Than 6 Months From Sailing Date:

$ 50 * for sailings of 3-5 nights

$100* for sailings of 6-9 nights

$200* for sailings of 10-14 nights

$200* for sailings of 15+ nights

Emerald Balcony Discount When Booking More Than 6 Months From Sailing Date:

$ 75 * for sailings of 3-5 nights

$125* for sailings of 6-9 nights

$225* for sailings of 10-14 nights

$225* for sailings of 15+ nights

Diamond Balcony Discount When Booking More Than 6 Months From Sailing Date:

$125* for sailings of 3-5 nights

$225* for sailings of 6-9 nights

$325* for sailings of 10-14 nights

$325* for sailings of 15+ nights

Diamond Plus & Pinnacle Balcony Discount When Booking More Than 6 Months From Sailing Date:

$150* for sailings of 3-5 nights

$250* for sailings of 6-9 nights

$350* for sailings of 10-14 nights

$350* for sailings of 15+ nights

*When booking less than 6 months from sailing date subtract $25 from each dollar amount.

OBC From Booking On Board

$25 for sailings of 3-5 nights

$100 for sailings of 6-9 nights

$150 for sailings of 10-14 nights

$200 for sailings of 15+ nights

Hi CruisinFever,

YOU ARE UNBELIEVABLE!!! YOU KNOW EVERYTHING about CRUISING!!!

Believe me, I am totally impress ~ I keep reading your messages with very good information and I am learning a lot !

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

By the way, my name is Wanda.

We recently became Diamond!!! Weeeeeee!! At last!!!

Hi CruisinFever,

YOU ARE UNBELIEVABLE!!! YOU KNOW EVERYTHING about CRUISING!!!

Believe me, I am totally impress ~ I keep reading your messages with very good information and I am learning a lot !

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

By the way, my name is Wanda.

We recently became Diamond!!! Weeeeeee!! At last!!!

Believe me Wanda when I say that, though I sincerely appreciate all of your accolades, I do not know everything about cruising.:o

I'm just glad that what you have found is helpful which was my intent when I started the threads. Trying to put all the right apples in the right basket and keeping them separate from the oranges.;)

Edited by cruisenfever

• 1 month later...
Thank you for your many CC posts. You always have the information I and other people need. Hope to bump into you on a cruise sometime. Our up and coming are Serenade in Nov. and Navigator in March.

Thank you so much for your kind words, it is truly appreciated.:)

Sorry if I have missed the answer somewhere - but are these balcony discounts combinable with shareholder benefits? We'll reach diamond level after our next cruise and it might be interesting to know. (if not then it might be a good idea to book onboard to grab the OBC offered.

Shareholder benefits/credits are not combinable with balcony discounts or any RCI credits or promotions. You can't use the shareholder benefit with book onboard credit, WOW or other sales credit, savings certificates or balcony discounts.

It can be used with BofA credit card rewards and Travel Agent provided credits.

It might come in handy if you booked an oceanview or inside and had nothing else to use with the booking.

:confused:This seemed to be a very knowledgable group. I have some basic questions and am not sure what to do. I put a deposit on a to be named future cruise while on the Majesty. I am looking at some deals leaving Bayonne on the Explorer in January. Not sure what to do first. Contact a travel agent and tell them I will be putting my booking over to them to hold a spot for me and then go to RCCL and notify them in writing? I know this seems basic but I don't want to mess it up. Thanks for your help.

:confused:This seemed to be a very knowledgable group. I have some basic questions and am not sure what to do. I put a deposit on a to be named future cruise while on the Majesty. I am looking at some deals leaving Bayonne on the Explorer in January. Not sure what to do first. Contact a travel agent and tell them I will be putting my booking over to them to hold a spot for me and then go to RCCL and notify them in writing? I know this seems basic but I don't want to mess it up. Thanks for your help.

Assuming you purchased a Next Cruise certificate on Majesty, then determine if the certificate is "owned" by a travel agent or you. If owned by a travel agent, then you must contact that travel agent and have them book your Explorer cruise. If owned by you, then you call Royal and book the cruise. You would then have 60 days to transfer the booking to a travel agent if you like.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I don't know if you still chit chat on this board but I have a question.

What are the savings certificates? How do you get them?

We just changed to platinum but didn't get a balcony, instead we chose an outside stateroom. And on a leaflet we got from our previous cruise on the platinum members benefits I read this:

Onboard booking bonus+Saving certificate Outside Stateroom

3-5 nights $25 (OBC) $75 (Savings Certificate)

6-9 nights $100 (OBC) $150 (Savings Certificate)

10-14 nights $150 (OBC) $225 (Savings Certificate)

15+ nights $200 (OBC) $225 (Savings Certificate)

Can we get the $225 savings certificate for the cruise we just booked for December? (we do have the OBC because we pre-booked a future cruise certificate on our previous cruise as we weren't completely sure where and when we'd be cruising)

Hi, I don't know if you still chit chat on this board but I have a question.

What are the savings certificates? How do you get them?

We just changed to platinum but didn't get a balcony, instead we chose an outside stateroom. And on a leaflet we got from our previous cruise on the platinum members benefits I read this:

Onboard booking bonus+Saving certificate Outside Stateroom

3-5 nights $25 (OBC) $75 (Savings Certificate)

6-9 nights $100 (OBC) $150 (Savings Certificate)

10-14 nights $150 (OBC) $225 (Savings Certificate)

15+ nights $200 (OBC) $225 (Savings Certificate)

Can we get the $225 savings certificate for the cruise we just booked for December? (we do have the OBC because we pre-booked a future cruise certificate on our previous cruise as we weren't completely sure where and when we'd be cruising)

You have to log into the Crown and Anchor section of RCCL's web site (look to the right on the home page), and then go to Savings Certificates. They are good for selected cruises only, and I have used them after booking several times. They come out with new ones every quarter during the year and expire at the end of the quarter. Next one is 1/1/12.

Want to hear something even weirder? :D I purchased a Next Cruise (Decide Later) certificate on May 6, 2011. (4 weeks ago?) When we returned home on May 29, my mom announced she wanted to go somewhere for Christmas.

I split us up and booked 2 cabins, one with the cert and one with a Friends & Family certificate. $11.34 difference in price between the 2 bookings , just because of taxes and fees. No big deal....but you'd still think that they would be the same price. :rolleyes::D

We've had this happen to us before. Port Tax rates change (sometimes up, sometimes down). However, while our taxes were listed higher on our invoice than on the F&F invoice, we received a refund of the difference to our CC post-cruise. Didn't ask for it, it just showed up on our next CC statement.

Well, darn!! We are planning to be up your way over Christmas. Well, maybe next trip. Have a great cruise with your Mom!

Well, darn!! We are planning to be up your way over Christmas. Well, maybe next trip. Have a great cruise with your Mom!

We're not actually sailing DURING Christmas. Too many children. :rolleyes::D We'll be back a week before the holiday. If we can find a time to get together for lunch, that would be great! I'll have new cruise photos. :D:):D

We've had this happen to us before. Port Tax rates change (sometimes up, sometimes down). However, while our taxes were listed higher on our invoice than on the F&F invoice, we received a refund of the difference to our CC post-cruise. Didn't ask for it, it just showed up on our next CC statement.

Funny you should mention that, I recently noticed that they had subtracted about $8 and some odd change from our final payment. Not quite $11.43, but most of it! :D:):D

We're not actually sailing DURING Christmas. Too many children. :rolleyes::D We'll be back a week before the holiday. If we can find a time to get together for lunch, that would be great! I'll have new cruise photos. :D:):D

Yay!! That's when I'll be there (I think). I'll let you know.

• 2 weeks later...

OK - Read through the thread and I am just looking for confirmation that this is the best thing to do to get the most bang for the buck.

We are sailing the week of Thanksgiving. I am starting to plan a surprize 40th birthday cruise for the hubby in Feb 2013. (I know it is a ways off:( - but at least it would be something to count down to)

My thought was to book it on board to get the reduced deposit plus he may not pay as much attention to the extra Royal Carribean charge on the credit card. :o

So, if I understand it, we would get a $100 OBC for booking on board, since the one I am looking at is a week.

We are currently Gold but after this cruise becoming Platinum. I won't be Platinum until after the cruise, so if I book a balcony onboard, I can call RCCL to apply the Platinum Balcony Bonus to the trip once it is posted.

Finally, if the cruise we are booked on comes up as one of cruises on a savings certificate, can we then add that OBC? (they currently do not have any 2013 cruises)

Thanks as always for all the great information!

Karen