Egg crate mattress topper

In a few weeks I will be going on my first RCCL cruise. I have sailed on Princess several times and have found that their beds are very firm and not comfortable. So, when I am on Princess cruises, I have learned to ask for an egg crate mattress topper to help make the bed more comfortable.

Now for my question: How comfortable are the beds on RCCL? I have been reading the RCCL boards for a few months and haven’t noticed any mention of this until now. On one post people said that they needed egg crate toppers. Please let me know your opinions.

The beds are pretty comfortable for me, including the very soft comforter. While waiting to embark on the Liberty, I saw a gentleman carrying three clear bags with rolled up egg crates in them, so I guess some people need them for "extra" comfort.

It's hit or miss. Personally, for me I found that on the newer RCI ships we have been on (Oasis, Freedom) the beds have been very comfortable. However we just got off the Explorer of the Seas last week and I have to say that the bed was very uncomfortable and I wish I would have asked for an egg crate mattress topper.

We loved the beds on the Radiance, but found them somewhat hard on the Explorer too. We asked our room attendant for Egg Crates but she had no idea what we were talking about. She ended up putting something on the beds under the sheets.... I think a folded duvet or 2, and it did the trick!

It's hit or miss. Personally, for me I found that on the newer RCI ships we have been on (Oasis, Freedom) the beds have been very comfortable. However we just got off the Explorer of the Seas last week and I have to say that the bed was very uncomfortable and I wish I would have asked for an egg crate mattress topper.

Last winter when I was on the EOS we had an Owner Suite and the bed was very, very firm so I requested an egg crate topper and it made all the difference in the world. Don't hesitate to request one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Slept like a baby even when the "ship" was rocking and rolling.

In a few weeks I will be going on my first RCCL cruise. I have sailed on Princess several times and have found that their beds are very firm and not comfortable. So, when I am on Princess cruises, I have learned to ask for an egg crate mattress topper to help make the bed more comfortable.

Now for my question: How comfortable are the beds on RCCL? I have been reading the RCCL boards for a few months and haven’t noticed any mention of this until now. On one post people said that they needed egg crate toppers. Please let me know your opinions.

If you were reading a post of mine, I was talking about the sofabed specifically. I have no problem with the regular beds.

I used one for the first time on Mariner two weeks ago and I wish I had done it for all the other cruises, too - we have a soft mattress at home, so the hard ones on that ship always bugged me. Our cabin steward didn't know the phrase "egg crate," though. He called it a "mattress softener."

If you bed is not comfortable ask for an egg crate topper. I have and they have put it on the bed.

• 5 years later...

Just off Ovation of the seas, for a new ship the mattress was appalling with a topper. For what you pay for a room on these ships the least that we as customers can expect is a bed that provides a decent nights sleep!

You can request one from Special Needs dept if you have a back issue. I do so on FOS recently and had a very comfortable mattress AND form topper for my bed when I arrived...

I requested the topper through special needs, I also bought an air mattress that was recommended on this site as extra insurance. There is no way I will suffer through another 7 night cruise sleeping on the hard bed.

I think I need to request one as we both have dodgy backs !!

Found a special needs form to email , do I just request it the section named other ???

Royal Caribbean did away with egg crate toppers earlier this year. Apparently they would not that sanitary, so now if you ask for something more comfortable (we do always) they will put a duvet under the mattress cover to make the bed softer.

Just off the Serenade on Dec 23rd, where they were changing out all of the mattresses, which will be finalized by the end of the year...........that's tonight!

Happy New Year everyone.:)

Rick

Royal Caribbean did away with egg crate toppers earlier this year. Apparently they would not that sanitary, so now if you ask for something more comfortable (we do always) they will put a duvet under the mattress cover to make the bed softer.

Just off the Serenade on Dec 23rd, where they were changing out all of the mattresses, which will be finalized by the end of the year...........that's tonight!

Happy New Year everyone.:)

Rick

I was on Serenade from the Oct 30 Repo and also got off Dec 23, did B2B2B2B. Funny thing was replacing beds were routine replacement, one I had was too soft, real worn. Good thing is new ones were firm but weren't the too firm ones other ships having issues with and I experienced.