Whats Up With All The Cards Thingy

jlmkey

I'm with you jlmkey. It used to be soft drinks were included in the fare. It's just another way for them to make money.

Our first cruise was 1993 and soda was not included.

We buy the coffee card. Worth every penny.:):)

If everything was included, you would find half full soda drinks, coffee cups, etc all over the place. ;)

Here, here when people have to pay for something then they will take care of it and not leave it lay around.

I don't like water so I don't use the pool. I also don't use the GYM or the Spa, can we deduct them out of my fare? I think it's chintzy not to include soda in the dining room with meals which used to be included.

Not sure where you got that information from, I have never seen soda included in the diningrooms of several different cruise lines. Maybe if you are on a cruisline that has a hefty price it was included and maybe you should stick with those expensive cruiselines and stay away from the cruislines that do not cater to your needs.

Where do these people get there information?:rolleyes:

Our first cruise was 1993 and soda was not included.

Here, here when people have to pay for something then they will take care of it and not leave it lay around.

Not sure where you got that information from, I have never seen soda included in the diningrooms of several different cruise lines. Maybe if you are on a cruisline that has a hefty price it was included and maybe you should stick with those expensive cruiselines and stay away from the cruislines that do not cater to your needs.

Where do these people get there information?:rolleyes:

RCCL used to but doesn't anymore (stopped probably 8-10 years ago). Disney used to - not sure if they still do or not. Crystal still does but their cruises are more expensive then the other cruise lines.

I'm with you jlmkey. It used to be soft drinks were included in the fare. It's just another way for them to make money.
What cruise line was that with? I've been cruising since 1991, and soft drinks have always cost extra.

RCCL used to but doesn't anymore (stopped probably 8-10 years ago). Disney used to - not sure if they still do or not. Crystal still does but their cruises are more expensive then the other cruise lines.

And all of those cruislines cost more than Princess.

But even some of the higher priced cruislines don't offer free soda.

But if they are complaining that Princess use to and now doesn't, where are they getting that information? I remember when you couldn't get ice tea out of the Princess dispensers, until around noon, that was a bummer.

Carnival, late 90s, soda included at meal times.
I don't recall that. I cruised with Carnival 3 times during the 90's, and ice tea was the only included drink in the MDR. I definitely would have gotten a soda if it was included.

I agree that if you want "extras", you can pay for them. I don't want to subsidize those who want unlimited coffee, soda etc. It would certainly add to the waste!
I agree. It's not as if there isn't free, unlimited coffee on the ship which for most people, is perfectly fine. I shouldn't have to pay for someone else's specialty coffee because they don't like the free stuff. If Starbucks coffee were free, I still wouldn't get it because to me, it's awful and I gag on it. But that's a matter of taste and preference.

We buy the coffee card. Worth every penny.:):)

If everything was included, you would find half full soda drinks, coffee cups, etc all over the place. ;)

Just like the plates of food I see being throw away because people can take all they want at the buffet.

I don't like water so I don't use the pool. I also don't use the GYM or the Spa, can we deduct them out of my fare? I think it's chintzy not to include soda in the dining room with meals which used to be included.[/quote]

Unfortunately those items are included for you and others so you should start a campaign to have them as extras. I'm sure the line will be long. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

btw- Princess never had soda included in the base price of their cruises. Maybe you're thinking of RCI---which also charges much more for their cruises compared to Princess.

1HappyCruiser - forgot about seeing those plates that are half eaten and then left on the table or thrown away.

How about the Chocolate Midnite desserts on some lines. Some people load up their plate so full, I am surprised they can carry it. Then they take 2 bites out of everything and leave it sitting, then walk away.:(

Also, how about an open bar at a wedding - glasses everywhere and they are not empty.:eek:

I don't mind paying my fair share for anything. I used to pack a one cup coffee maker with all the fixins. Now I don't have to with the coffee card.:)

With all due respect, I don't feel that the reason we are charged for soda and coffee has nothing to do with the "not charging everyone for something that not everyone wants"....if that was the case, then OF COURSE they would put charges and limits on all kinds of things (ie: only one entre each evening in the MDR - am I paying extra for my cruise because some people like to order 3 lobster tails per sitting??) or a pay per use for some of the entertainments that are expensive to produce (while one person may be pleased that they don't have to pay to subsidize the soda drinking of other passengers, another may be just as happy paying less for their cruise and allowing everyone who enjoys the big production shows to pay per use for those).

Fountain soda is the CHEAPEST thing they could possible serve (outside of water) - so why not serve it in the MDR at the very least? I think it has nothing to do with the cost, but is instead a way to reduce the amount of cleanup (half-empty cups all over the place) and demand on servers for refills, etc.

My wife wont eat Lobster.....Why should she pay for your extra Lobster ??? You can go on and on..Coming soon "Lobster Card"

Why should anyone pay the extra charge for the others that want to overindulge in any particular item?

My wife wont eat Lobster.....Why should she pay for your extra Lobster ??? You can go on and on..Coming soon "Lobster Card"

:D Maybe even more important (based on my own observations on cruises): the "Bacon Card"! I've seen people with entire plates of bacon (along with second/third plates of other breakfast items!) It's kinda cheesy to charge for something as minor as soda (which many chain restaurants offer in unlimited refills at no extra charge), but for WHATEVER reason, all the mass marketed cruise lines seem to do it....

Why should soda be free in the dining rooms? You go to McDonalds you pay for soda, go to a diner you pay for soda, go to a restaurant and you pay for soda.

Lets talk about something that would really be important to dinner......unlimited refills on martinis!!!!

[quote name='zacc']Why should soda be free in the dining rooms? You go to McDonalds you pay for soda, go to a diner you pay for soda, go to a restaurant and you pay for soda.

Lets talk about something that would really be important to dinner......unlimited refills on martinis!!!![/quote]

Let's be clear: NOTHING is "FREE" on a cruise - it's "included in the fare", which you have paid money for. So it just seems silly to be upcharged for something as basic and inexpensive as soda/coffee.

Unlimited refills on martinis sounds wonderful -or at the very least a "martini card"!!! ;)

[quote name='berniece2000']Let's be clear: NOTHING is "FREE" on a cruise - it's "included in the fair", which you have paid money for. So it just seems silly to be upcharged for something as basic and inexpensive as soda/coffee.

Unlimited refills on martinis sounds wonderful -or at the very least a "martini card"!!! ;)[/quote]

A Martini card? Now there's a thought :D

May be Princess should introduce a Jumbo Card for say $75 pp per day which makes all drinks free. Costa has that for all drinks including all wine and bar drinks at about that price. Costa requires each occupant in the same cabin to buy one to minimize sharing. It has to be purchased prior to boarding.

Fountain soda [I]is[/I] extraordinarily cheap. Fast food chains offer the self-service soda fountains because of this. The cup is much more expensive than what goes inside of it. I do purchase the soda card because I'll have at least 2 or 3 diet drinks a day (and hey, ya gotta have mixers too! :p), but generally get iced tea in the MDR. In the MDR, are folks charged for soda refills? If so, that is a bit much... IMHO.

[quote name='sultan_sfo']May be Princess should introduce a Jumbo Card for say $75 pp per day which makes all drinks free. Costa has that for all drinks including all wine and bar drinks at about that price. Costa requires each occupant in the same cabin to buy one to minimize sharing. It has to be purchased prior to boarding.[/QUOTE]That's awful! What if the other person doesn't drink anything other than tea, coffee or water? They're forced to buy a card? $75/pp/day seems extreme and excessive.

Costa Packages:

Quote from a post on Costa forum. "i just booked the j2 package today at a cost of 392 pounds for 11 day cruise departing 22nd february from barcelona.. direct with costa.. "

Adult Package (18 yrs and over excl. Caribbean where it is 21yrs and over)
• Forfeit wine • Open Bar service with all items up to €6.99/$6.99* • Mini-bar items** • Mineral water in the cabin

If one occupant does not drink don't buy package but pay-as-you-drink.

Costa does not encourage sharing drinks from their card with the dinner tablemates. But if there are only 4 persons at the table and only two of them with the package, waiters do not monitor who drinks from the wine bottles at dinner.

[quote name='sultan_sfo']Without a soda card, the soda served is a Can of soda. No refills anywhere when one gets a can.[/QUOTE]

Oh, okay... thanks for the answer. The few times I've asked for a soda in the MDR, I've had my soda card and got just a glass of soda. Makes sense...

[quote name='donna5'].

Where do these people get there information?:rolleyes:[/quote]I got it first hand sailing Princess when soda was included in the dining room. I guess I've been cruising a lot longer then most because I remember it as if it was yesterday.

Archived