New Zealand EARTHQUAKE!

erewhon

Less than two and a half months ago my Dear Sis and I were standing in the cathedral square admiring all the beautiful historic buildings. Had lunch in a shopping arcade and visited several of the shops bordering the square. Hard to imagine the devastation there now. At the time, we were saddened by the damage to many neighborhoods by the previous quakes. So many lives disrupted then and now so much more damage. My thoughts are with all who are affected by this disaster.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the wonderful people of Christchurch. We were there in late October last year, aboard the Volendam, and it seemed they were making great progress with fixing up from the previous earthquake. We love Christchurch and the people there. We wish them well and hope they can somehow come to grips with this terrible tragedy.

Lyttelton has recieved damage too. I don't remember what the news report said exactly but a fish and chip shop and the supermarket were damaged.

We ate lunch in the fish and chip shop. Lovely friendly Asian family running it. I do hope they were not injured.

The devastation and loss of life are terrible. Our prayers and thoughts are with casualties and their families.

Christchurch is a really beautiful city, filled with nice people.

My college roommate is from Christchurch and was married in the cathedral there. A beautiful church; it is so sad to see it in ruins.

This is truly tragic. Thanks for the beautiful "memorial" photos, Robin. I know cruisers are disappointed that Christchurch will be off the grid for a while ... but that's nothing compared with the local lives so severely affected by this tragedy. Prayers to all.

I spent five years at university in Christchurch and visit the city often. It is one of my favourite cities. One thing that has always impressed me about Christchurch which I have experienced in no other city is the wonderful community spirit of its citizens. This is borne out in the recent earthquake. I am sure that the Christchurch people will be heartened by your support and prayers on this site. As 80% of Christchurch is without power they cannot access their home computers and wifi and 3G is out too. Limited texting is available. I live in Wellington and of course everybody was expecting the next big one to be there as we are in the middle of a fault line - to happen in Christchurch twice in a row was not expected.

Robin

I really appreciate you taking the time to post these photos of when Christchurch was a beautiful city.

Thank you.

The aftershocks continue.

Jeanette, how far from the quake area are you? I've just been watching the news reports, this is devastating. And a timely wake-up call for Vancouverites as we have become so complacent waiting for "the big one".

I remember your reports of the after-shocks last September, and this is even worse. Stay safe.

We live very near ground zero of the 1989 Northern California quake. I've lived in CA all my life, and never, ever experienced anything like it. (And I used to think earthquakes were "fun".) Much of our town was completely destroyed, several people died, and watching the images tonight, I was just in tears for New Zealanders. It is just an unimaginable thing to go through, and it's impossible to understand unless you've been there, yourself. We all slept in tents in our front and backyards for a week because of the hundreds of aftershocks during the first few days. We cooked by camp stove, and shared food with people we'd never met, and with the National Guard. Today's quake sounds so much worse in terms of devastation.

It is so shocking to realize the earth doesn't know we're here. Our thoughts are with you.

Jeanette, how far from the quake area are you? I've just been watching the news reports, this is devastating. And a timely wake-up call for Vancouverites as we have become so complacent waiting for "the big one".

I remember your reports of the after-shocks last September, and this is even worse. Stay safe.

Hi Ann,

Because the earthquake was so shallow, the quake was felt in most of the South Island.

There is a report that a 30 million tonne chunk of Ice 1.2 km long, 300m high broke off the Tasman Glacier 200 km away from the epicentre. The iceberg broke up in Tasman Lake forming several icebergs one is 250m long.

The aftershocks continue regularly.

Called in at a local supermarket this morning, it was very, very busy with customers, most of them from Christchurch. Waited 20 minutes at the milk refrigerator for new supplies to be unloaded.

Many Christchurch people are fleeing the city.

We feel very lucky that we personally have had no damage.

• 1 month later...
We were on the Volendam and in Christchurch the day before the earthquake hit. It was a warm sunny day there and we will remember the way Christchurch was before the quake.
When you drag up old threads you shake the rest of us up.:mad: I thought it happened today until I looked.

When you drag up old threads you shake the rest of us up.:mad: I thought it happened today until I looked.

Me too! :eek: I wish Cruise Critic would list the date of the original post along with the OP's name. Maybe the next upgrade?

What a surprise to see this thread appear again.

The after-shocks continue, there have been more than a thousand since the February quake.

I was upset to see this thread title, but quickly realized it was about the earthquake that happened as I was on my way to New Zealand. I was glad to be able to read through it.

When I first arrived in Auckland at least one TV station was broadcasting earthquake info round-the-clock. The heartache came right through the screen and touched everyone watching, I am sure. Everyone I met knew someone effected by the quake.

I can only hope that the earth settles down, and that people there somehow find the strength to go on.

I was upset to see this thread title, but quickly realized it was about the earthquake that happened as I was on my way to New Zealand. I was glad to be able to read through it.

When I first arrived in Auckland at least one TV station was broadcasting earthquake info round-the-clock. The heartache came right through the screen and touched everyone watching, I am sure. Everyone I met knew someone effected by the quake.

I can only hope that the earth settles down, and that people there somehow find the strength to go on.

Ruth,

It was worth the revival of this thread (shocking though it was to see the title again) just to read your kind comments.

r.

Archived