Carpet cleaning

dansu

Tomorrow marks 3 weeks since we last cruised (Carnival Freedom); however, it also means that I have been suffering the ill effects of the carpet cleaning solution used daily and emitted into the air by the constant use of fans placed in the hallways by Carnival, for almost a month. I was not the only person on the Freedom to have this reaction, as others did approach me onboard to ask if I had the same symptoms as they did.

This was NOT an allergy, a virus, or a cold, confirmed by both the Miami Beach emergency room medical team and my family doctor in Canada...it was an inhaled irritant that triggered my asthma, which has been well-controlled for many years. The irritation was actually visible in my xray; I am still being treated with a heavy dose of oral steriods, and happy to now say...regaining my health daily.

...I did not go to the ships medical centre, as it was asthma for which I do carry medication (replaced fresh before the cruise), which I may add I carry only as a precaution, since I only need to take it if I get a cold.

Others onboard mentioned to me that when they visited the pursers desk they were fed the party line....not responsible for reactions....and Carnival Customer Care when phoned by my hubby after the cruise...didn't care...

I am not usually sensitive to cleaning products...I do clean my own home...work in a public building...and I have never suffered a known reaction to a cleaning product of any kind before.

With all this now said, after two good cruises and this latest nightmare, which really restricted what I could and couldn't do on my vacation, we have jumped ship from Carnival and are now booked on the Crown Princess sailing next January.

My questions are:

"Does this happen on Princess as well?"..."Have others had this reaction to Princess carpet cleaning products?"..."Does Princess leave fans running in the halls daily to dry their carpets, as I had never seen this before?"

I've never been bothered by their cleaning solutions but the cleaner they use to clean the bathrooms is some pretty nasty smelling stuff.

I wasn't affected by the other products they cleaned with.

I became ill ...on the third night...upon returning to the ship after walking around Old San Juan.

As we stepped off the elevator and headed into the hallway I began to exhibit breathing difficulty...wheezing...and coughing.

As we continued to walk down the hallway...we passed fans...placed at equal intervals that we assumed were placed to assist in drying the carpet

Upon reaching our cabin, I immediately headed to our balcony...took my asthma medication...had a diet coke...and waited for the attack to pass. Within a few minutes I felt better and we headed to the specialty restaurant for our Steakhouse dinner. I got no further than the elevator...and the wheezing and coughing strarted again...it was downhill for the remainder of our cruise...the fans, and whatever they were spewing into the air, did not disappear.

Our plans were greatly changed...our beach days reduced by half...as I needed to limit my mobility due to the lack of available breath. My evenings were cut short, as I would go to the MDR for dinner, and return to the cabin. My sign and sail card went from Party mode to nil...CCL lost money on this cruiser. Hubby was now waiting on me hand and foot...

I felt so bad that I ruined my hubby's cruise that I upgraded and paid for a balcony overlooking the ocean in Miami Beach for our 3 nights post-cruise, I also paid the deposit for the Crown Princess for next January... as I am now treating my hubby to a new vacation. I have used my own credit card to guarantee 3 days pre-cruise hotel...and prepayed 4 days post-cruise at a Fort Lauderdale on the beach hotel.

My only request of this thread is to find out....has this happened to anyone on the Princess Crown?...as I do not want a repeat of my latest cruising nightmare.

Edited by dansu

I've never been bothered by their cleaning solutions but the cleaner they use to clean the bathrooms is some pretty nasty smelling stuff.

Hopefully that nasty smelling cleaning stuff is killing most of those nasty little germs people seem to carry around with them. If ya know what I mean.

Edited by davekathy

The only times I've seen fans or carpet cleaning has been when someone was sick or made a mess, or there was a toilet problem, so it's been very few times. Princess is far more likely to replace carpet, which I've seen done during a cruise on several occasions.

There are also different levels of carpet cleaning. What it sounds like you are describing is one using a commercial product that I can't recall the name of but is often used in hotels during floor refurbs. Very strong and does trigger asthmatic reactions (I'm sure there are other brands).

It would surprise me for it to be used in an enclosed space like a ship while guests are present, but apparently Carnival does.

I've seen carpet cleaning on Princess, but they use closer the household variety for routine work and you shouldn't have a reaction to that.

The only times I've seen fans or carpet cleaning has been when someone was sick or made a mess, or there was a toilet problem, so it's been very few times. Princess is far more likely to replace carpet, which I've seen done during a cruise on several occasions.

Ditto to this. The one and only time we have seen fans was when one of the public restroom toilets had backed up and flooded into the carpeted area outside the restroom. And even then it was for a very brief time and that area could have been easily avoided by taking an alternative route.

There are also different levels of carpet cleaning. What it sounds like you are describing is one using a commercial product that I can't recall the name of but is often used in hotels during floor refurbs. Very strong and does trigger asthmatic reactions (I'm sure there are other brands).

It would surprise me for it to be used in an enclosed space like a ship while guests are present, but apparently Carnival does.

I've seen carpet cleaning on Princess, but they use closer the household variety for routine work and you shouldn't have a reaction to that.

I'm assuming then that CCL felt it was safe to use this product while we were in port for the evening (day 3 - 5:00 pm to 11:59) and during the port days...4, 5,6 and 8. Unfortunately for me and several others...the product made leaving the ship during our port days a truly daunting task...

I'm glad to hear that my choice to jump ship from CCL and join Princess is less likely to end in disaster.

Thank you to all

Wow, that is so awful for you. I have controlled asthma as well but sometimes smoke (and I am not bashing smokers at all) will do that to me. Never thought about the fumes from carpet cleaning. Hopefully you will have not problems on Princess. We do love this cruise line.

Doubt the Princess cruise crew would switch carpet cleaners because of allergy. OP can write and "hope" to get a brand name Princess uses. Just because others have posted they had no reaction does not mean that OP will not. After all there is no indication that any other pax on Carnival Freedom reacted adversely. So my advice to OP -- you just have to take a chance despite what everyone is saying here.

Doubt the Princess cruise crew would switch carpet cleaners because of allergy. OP can write and "hope" to get a brand name Princess uses. Just because others have posted they had no reaction does not mean that OP will not. After all there is no indication that any other pax on Carnival Freedom reacted adversely. So my advice to OP -- you just have to take a chance despite what everyone is saying here.

Both the Miami Beach Mount Sinai Medical Center and my family doctor in Canada confirmed that what I experienced was not an allergic reaction. Popping a Claritan wouldn't have resolved the issue. It was an inhaled irritant.

As for no other PAX...if you read CCL you will find what someone other than myself experienced on the same cruise.

I'm not asking anyone to change the carpet cleaning product that they use. My question was...has anyone on the Crown Princess ever encountered the same problem, as I have changed cruiselines after two very good CCL cruises and one nightmare cruise...with hopes of not repeating the same unfortunate experience.

Edited by dansu

Because your reaction was so extreme, it would have helped if you had found the "brand" of carpet cleaner that was used. Then you would have something specific which cruise line to use based on brands that other cruise lines use. I realize Saturday (ie today) quarterbacking is easy but I was amazed that of the posts only one mentioned that Princess "could" be using a brand closer to an household brand. Experiences of others who posted "IMHO" is absolutely worthless in your situation.

I'm not asking anyone to change the carpet cleaning product that they use. My question was...has anyone on the Crown Princess ever encountered the same problem, as I have changed cruiselines after two very good CCL cruises and one nightmare cruise...with hopes of not repeating the same unfortunate experience.

Edited by sultan_sfo

My question was...has anyone on the Crown Princess ever encountered the same problem, as I have changed cruiselines after two very good CCL cruises and one nightmare cruise...with hopes of not repeating the same unfortunate experience.
I've been on these boards for almost 10 years, and a number of Princess ships, and don't remember hearing of or seeing any complaint about a reaction to carpet cleaning or anything like that. Edited by Pam in CA

I've been on these boards for almost 10 years, and a number of Princess ships, and don't remember hearing of or seeing any complaint about a reaction to carpet cleaning or anything like that.

Thank you

My husband has cleaned carpets for over 30 yrs. The only good reason you may have had a reaction is the carpet does not get the hot water extraction to pull up the shampoo from the carpet. They are most likely using the dry cleaning machine or the machines that cant produce enough suction to pull it up. I cant imagine them using a very harsh chemical because it is in a very confined area and no way to let fresh air in those areas. But I would go and ask the desk what type of cleaning solution they are using.

• 8 years later...

I am also allergic, for a long time I did not understand what the problem was until I encountered a similar problem. At home, the wife cleaned the carpets on her own, using a chemical from Walmart. When I practically began to choke, we turned to the doctor who, as a detective, explained everything to us. After that we used only chemical-free cleaners or carpet cleaning service providers. When we chose cruise we ALWAYS asking about carpets in room, upholstery cleaners and other thinks that's can cause my health.

On 4/17/2019 at 4:52 AM, Deanmivin said:

I am also allergic, for a long time I did not understand what the problem was until I encountered a similar problem. At home, the wife cleaned the carpets on her own, using a chemical from Walmart. When I practically began to choke, we turned to the doctor who, as a detective, explained everything to us. After that we used only chemical-free cleaners or carpet cleaning service providers. When we chose cruise we ALWAYS asking about carpets in room, upholstery cleaners and other thinks that's can cause my health.

hey, dude, totally agree with you, have the same problems all my life. Would you share some chemical-free trademarks/services, please?

I’m sorry you experienced this. Like you, I have well controlled asthma, use a daily inhaled steroid and my rescue inhaler when I need it, which is usually only when I get sick. I explain all this just so you know that we sound like we have similar asthma severity.  I have never had an asthma issue triggered by something on a Princess ship (other than cigarette smoke...that’s a whole other issue), and we’ve had our cabin carpet cleaned while we’ve been out of it and returned to it with no issue. That’s not to say that you won’t, of course, but perhaps you can feel a bit more comfortable in your choice of a Princess cruise. 

The Princess hand sanitizer causes me all sorts of trouble, not breathing but skin rash, so I do avoid that.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2011 at 11:31 AM, Pam in CA said:

I agree with Pam. I've taken lots of Princess cruises and have only occasionally seen fans being used in the hallway if there has been a cleanup required because of a passenger's illness or a plumbing problem that caused carpeting to become soiled. If it's within a cabin, the fan may be sitting in the hallway but blowing air thru the cabin.

20 hours ago, steven84 said:

hey, dude, totally agree with you, have the same problems all my life. Would you share some chemical-free trademarks/services, please?

Hey! I trust only my carpet cleaning service provider. Guys once helped me a lot and now I only appeal to them. If you live in Miami you can find them here, but I think they have offices in other cities.