Handicap - Boarding.

My grandmother is handicap and sailing with me and my mom we were wondering how they handle handicap(in need of wheelchair and assistance) sailers. We have already let Royal Caribbean know we will need help. But, how will they take care of her during the boarding process.

If you can tell us which port and ship you will probably get a more detailed answer. For example at Port Canaveral they have an area where handicapped wait just before leaving the terminal where ship crew come with wheelchairs to assist those that need them. It is first come first served so there can be a wait. If she brings her own there will be no wait. There will be assistance at each departure port but it will differ to some degree. Hope this helps. Bon Voyage!

Yes, your entire party may board at the same time. You will most likely get to the front of whatever line there is to board. Boarding a ship isn't like boarding an airplane...boarding goes on all day, as folks arrive.

and, yes...if your mom needs a wheelchair throughout the cruise, you'll have to bring one or rent one from a rental company...the ship doesn't provide them for use onboard...only for boarding and disembarking.

Cape Liberty is one of the best. You have to take a bus to the ship, and once you get there, the wheelchairs are waiting. Better system than San Pedro or San Juan. (Don't know about any other ports). Depending on the time, if the cabins are open they'll take you to your cabin. Otherwise, they'll take you to the Windjammer so you can sit and have lunch.

Cape Liberty is one of the best. You have to take a bus to the ship, and once you get there, the wheelchairs are waiting. Better system than San Pedro or San Juan. (Don't know about any other ports). Depending on the time, if the cabins are open they'll take you to your cabin. Otherwise, they'll take you to the Windjammer so you can sit and have lunch.

thx - do they have special buses if you have a wheelchair with you

Contact Special Needs At Sea...

http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/ 1-800-513-4515

They rent wheelchairs and Scooters and have a contract with RCI.

Whatever you decide to rent will be waiting for you in your cabin when you board and when you leave the ship you leave it in your cabin.

Great People! :)

does anyone know how this works at Cape Liberty with the buses to the ship? I'm thinking about Explorer with my mom & wheelchair

thanks!

You get the wheelchair right outside the terminal - they will take you through check-in and then onboard the bus (wheelchair rolls right on), from there, they wheel you onto the ship on a lower deck than everyone else. If you want to go straight to your cabin to drop off your carry-ons, best to board at around 1 p.m. when cabins are usually ready.

I did this a number of times with my mom both with the ship's wheelchair and our own. When you get to the drop off at Bayonne, you find one of the RCL people and tell them you need wheelchair assistance. If you don't have one, they will provide one. Either way they provide a person to assist you. I would leave my mom and go and park the car - the handicapped parking (if you don't have a placard you should get one) is right next to the embarkation tent.

When they start boarding, someone will wheel your mom onto the bus. At the other end (60 seconds across the "tarmac") someone will wheel her off and take you onto the ship. We always liked to arrive at Bayonne between 10 and 11 am - if you do this you will be among the first to board. Several times we went through the check in and they started boarding. If you have to wait, they have coffee, tea, juice and cookies. The rooms don't open until 1:30, so we would go to the Windjammer, grab a window table, and have a nice lunch.

The process works the same for disembarkation. You should plan to get a porter and have him take you through customs and immigration and right out to the handicapped parking. This is well worth a good tip.

My grandmother is handicap and sailing with me and my mom we were wondering how they handle handicap(in need of wheelchair and assistance) sailers. We have already let Royal Caribbean know we will need help. But, how will they take care of her during the boarding process.

We bought a travel wheelchair ($99) and were glad we did. When we arrived three ladies were waiting for a wheelchair to be taken onboard. Later I saw them and they told me we were smart to bring our own, they waited 45mins and never got a wheelchair. They were told there were only 2 chairs and many more people waiting. The travel wheelchair is very easy to carry and manage.

Yes, your entire party may board at the same time.

Not at Sam Juan. We were a party of eight and my wife had her own wheelchair and my Mom was using a terminal chair to board where her rented chair would be waiting in the cabin. My wife and I were directed to a handicap checkin position at the far left end of the counter and when the others were going to follow we they were told just one person could accompany my wife. So we ended up boarding a bout 20 minutes ahead of the rest of them and by prearrangement they caught up to us in the Windjammer.

• 6 years later...
You get the wheelchair right outside the terminal - they will take you through check-in and then onboard the bus (wheelchair rolls right on), from there, they wheel you onto the ship on a lower deck than everyone else. If you want to go straight to your cabin to drop off your carry-ons, best to board at around 1 p.m. when cabins are usually ready.

What if you fly there and get there before 1 pm?

What if you fly there and get there before 1 pm?

Apparently you're not aware that the post you're replying to is over 6 years and 4 months old. It was post back in March 2011 Suggest you check the date of the post before responding .

does anyone know how this works at Cape Liberty with the buses to the ship? I'm thinking about Explorer with my mom & wheelchair

thanks!

Explorer hasn't sailed out of Bayonne for many years. She's in Australia/ New Zealand and then Alaska during the summer.

Anthem is now home ported out of Bayonne. Wonderful ship.

port everglades

Sorry if I didn't know this for that one port or just the RCL itself

No worries, just trying to help you get the correct information.:) Bayonne was a weird situation back at the time this thread was posted, new terminal there is awesome!

sailing out of Fort Lauderdale!

will the boarding process be faster then having to wait in the regular line for my grandmother? Also, will they allow us to board with her?

My experience at Port Everglades is that it will not be faster regardless of your C&A status, you are welcome to wait with her, but there was only 1 or 2 people assisting those that needed it.