Uniformed Security Officers Onboard

We were on the Radiance this past week and noticed many uniformed security officers onboard....dressed in a blue uniform with a badge. We saw them everyday and they were in all different locations..sometimes even just hanging out on the sun deck in pairs. Having taken many cruises before, this was something new for me to see and I was curious if anyone else has noticed this on other ships? Were they maybe always there before, but not in uniform?

I believe what was observed is the norm. We have seen these security folks and others in civilian clothes every time we cruise. You will normally see them when embarking or disembarking for sure. There is usually a presence in the Disco at all times and I have seen them checking ID's. I have also observed them going onto the dance floor if they perceived some inappropriate behavior was occurring. I also saw them doing guard duty outside cabins when folks have been restricted there.

Guard duty outside cabins???? Care to expand on that? And on the dance floor? Really? Just wouldn't have guessed the was a nuisance.

People are often restricted to their cabins if their behavior warrants it until they can toss them off the next day. People are also restricted to their cabins for medical reasons. Security will sit outside their doors.

folks like these?

DSCF8808.jpg

if so, then they are pretty typical.

We got to know the head of security on Voyager really well. He had some fascinating stories over the years...

Yeah....just like them! We've never seen them in such numbers on any other cruise we've been on. They were just very obvious.....not a bad thing, just very noticeable.

Security is in full force this time of year--->wild spring breakers! Of course they're on there all the time, just not as many. Those pics posted are exactly what you would have seen.....Typical RCCL security personnel. They seem to always be Filipino for some reason for what it's worth.

Not very common, but yes, they do "guard" cabins for the reasons mentioned.

Yeah....just like them! We've never seen them in such numbers on any other cruise we've been on. They were just very obvious.....not a bad thing, just very noticeable.

I think as other posters have said it may have been a spring break kind of thing or perhaps the ship has had problems recently.

I have found that most security folks are bored 99% of the time and totally hyped up on adrenaline 1% of the time. I really enjoy talking to them since they have the run of the ship and have the best stories.

The folks in my picture above did our wand searches before we were allowed on the bridge.

There are uniformed as well as plain clothes security on all ship but ESPECIALLY those that sail during spring break. We often joke that the “plain clothes” are easier to spot than the uniformed. I think the clothes were so well pressed ( They must be allowed irons :)) and the ear pieces give it away.

I’ve sailed twice on a 3 night during spring break and I thought all the security folks did a great job, They seemed to allow the college kids to have a good time, but stepped in at just the right moment.

M

It is my understanding that RCI's security is provided by a contractor from the Phillipines. That's why you see the different uniforms. I suspect this is on purpose similar to the way Marines provide security on Navy ships. It is also my understanding that at least some of these folks are _very_ highly trained and far from the usual 'rent-a-cop' types.

RAE

It is also my understanding that at least some of these folks are _very_ highly trained and far from the usual 'rent-a-cop' types.

RAE

We have met several retired Ghurkas including a female senior NCO working with the uniformed security group. I sleep well on the ship with them protecting us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurkha

We were on the Radiance this past week and noticed many uniformed security officers onboard....dressed in a blue uniform with a badge. We saw them everyday and they were in all different locations..sometimes even just hanging out on the sun deck in pairs. Having taken many cruises before, this was something new for me to see and I was curious if anyone else has noticed this on other ships? Were they maybe always there before, but not in uniform?
On every RCI ship, just sometimes less noticable.;)

We have met several retired Ghurkas including a female senior NCO working with the uniformed security group. I sleep well on the ship with them protecting us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurkha

No kidding! Those folks are not people you want to trifle with at all. Yet at the same time, they can be real nice and friendly too. Just don't ever get on their bad side. It's not a good way to see a ripe old age.

Besides all the video cameras on board evry RCI ship there are definitely

plain clothes security staff circulating.

DW and I were involved in a small incident on Serenade. We were minding our business trying to get to the railing overlooking the Centrum to watch the 70's party when these 2 young guys who were well into their spirits decided to start tugging on DW to pull her a little closer and get closer to the edge of the railing than what she was comfortable with. They started to get a little bothered and persistent when she resisted.

The next thing you know these 2 young guys stepped in and put the kabosh on that situation real quick. They left no doubt what would happen if the two young guys persisted in their boorish behavior. My guess is that they had these guys on their radar for a while.

Big Brother is watching where you least expect it. Thank goodness for that.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know how much these guys earn?

Stompy

Hey George, I just saw you video on "Most Daring" did you post it, or did someone else make some $'s off of your Flowriding skills w/o your permission?

Does anyone know how much these guys earn?

Stompy

Hey George, I just saw you video on "Most Daring" did you post it, or did someone else make some $'s off of your Flowriding skills w/o your permission?

nope, never heard of it

Archived